Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Recently got a Sansaire and have been puddling away ever since. So far I've done:

Salmon: 50C/25min. Very good. Wolfed it down. I guess salmon texture/doneness preference is individual, but I really enjoy that it's still jelly-like and moist as hell.

Cheap ribeyes: 57C/1:10, then pan sear. Very good, but not ridiculously tender. Could be the meat, or maybe they needed more time.

Cheap marinated flanksteak: 56C/12h, then pan sear. Not bad, but kinda in an uncanny valley with regard to tenderness. Will try a full 24h next.

Another salmon: 51C/28min. Also very good. Couldn't actually tell the difference from the first. Protip: portion salmon pre-cooking, it will never be pretty if you do it after.

Anyone having experimented with making sauce bearnaise (or similar) in a bain marie style waterbath while cooking the steaks? Seems like the temps are conveniently similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Finally figured out how to do eggs to my liking-- from refrigerated, large size eggs, 70C for 17 minutes. Loose white is watery (discard) but the tight white is structurally sound and the yolk is just on the edge of runny/custardy. Easier than doing 63C then a dunk in boiling.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Lamb loin chops were divine. Threw some olive oil, rosemary, thyme, and sage in the bag with them. 2.5 hours at 133 followed by a quick sear on baking steel served on a pile of mashed cauliflower with a jalapeño chimichurri. Probably the best lamb I've ever had.

The best part is that they were only $6.50/lb and they are pretty much always at (my) Costco. I'll probably be having these once a week going forward.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to doing some ribeye this past weekend, and it was pretty much the best steak I've ever made for myself. Perfectly medium rare throughout, and a nice crust/sear on the outside from a quick trip to the cast iron skillet.

Last night I had some beef short ribs I let cook for 72 hours at 140 degrees, and they came out MUCH better than the last time I cooked them. For whatever reason, the first time I did a bag of 72 hour short ribs, they came out almost like a pot roast. Not last night though. They tasted almost like prime rib, except a little softer.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Kinda preaching to the choir here, but if any lurkers are interested, I've got my Sansaire sous vide unit for sale over in SA Mart. I'd take it with me, but it's single voltage and I don't want to mess around with a transformer in the kitchen (near a water bath, no less).

Got a pre-order for the international version of the Nomiku 2.0, whenever that is :kiddo:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
yeah you don't want a transformer going 240v down to 110v that's capable of transforming ohhh 1000w of power.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Anyone got a recommendation for a gammon joint about 1kg? I'm not sure how they different from the ham joints I see with online recipes. There is no bone for one thing though and they're uncooked .

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Any reason not to pull the trigger on http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-Vide-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00GT753W8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421966548&sr=8-1&keywords=anova ? Is something else about to drop, or an existing thing better right now?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

nuru posted:

Any reason not to pull the trigger on http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-Vide-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00GT753W8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421966548&sr=8-1&keywords=anova ? Is something else about to drop, or an existing thing better right now?

The Anova Precision Cooker is out, which is about $20 cheaper, has Bluetooth, a better controller, and a better clip.

You can find it here, it isn't on Amazon yet.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

nuru posted:

Well, you could buy my Sansaire a few posts up for $60 less :v:

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Think my original Nomiku might have just poo poo itself tonight. :saddowns: Just did 48 hour short ribs at 144 F. Was leaving some in for another 24 hours but it shut it self off after a hour or so. Some moisture looks like it got in the display/touch power. Leaving it out to dry tonight to see if it will magically start working, it shuts off after about 30 seconds right now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SubG posted:

Depends on the egg and how you want it to come out. What I'm saying is that for whatever temperature you're using, the longer you leave it in the firmer the egg will be (unless you're running your puddle machine too cold to cook an egg at all).

I tried three eggs yesterday, 63C (145F) for 1, 3 and 5 hours. The 1 hour egg had a runny yolk and a watery white. 3 hour had a perfect, custard-like yolk but the white was slightly too runny to scoop up on my piece of toast (which included some crunchy and egg-absorbent rocket salad) and it's easy to see that some parts of the white set earlier than others. The 5 hour egg was almost the same, perhaps every so slightly more set. I think the big difference between the first and second might be that the eggs very very large and simply took more than 1 hour to heat through properly. I guess a post boil is inevitable if you want a poached egg, but just getting that custardy yolk out and dropping it on some asparagus or fish is great.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Has anyone done creme brulee?

I've seen some recipes that involve setting up a rack for ramekins and filling with water to come up the sides of the ramekin, just like you'd do in a conventional oven, but that seems precarious when I'm trying to do it in a big pot that needs to be filled with enough water to be above the Anova's minimum fill line. I've also seen recipes that just cook a mess of custard in a bag and then you pour that into ramekins and set them in the fridge to set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHuXaJhRNY

And then I've seen some that involve pouring the raw custard into ramekins and wrapping the poo poo out of them with plastic wrap before putting then in the water, which to me sounds like crazy talk.

I was thinking of using little mason jars, instead of ramekins, because the lids would seal against immersion. But that'd make it hard to torch the sugar. Also thinking about doing the one-big-bag method, but adding a bit of gelatin to help it set, as if it were a panna cotta.

Thoughts?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/quilted-crystal-jelly-jars-534198/ These sort of mason jars that are basically ramekins with lids would do the job. The lip isn't TOO huge that it'd impact your ability to torch it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I just made a huge amount of custard in a bag and poured it into ramekins. Then cover with sugar and TORCH IT :kimchi:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've also made it in a bag, but it came out kind of lumpy. I've managed one good hollandaise, otherwise egg emulsions have been a bit of a pain.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Ola posted:

I've also made it in a bag, but it came out kind of lumpy. I've managed one good hollandaise, otherwise egg emulsions have been a bit of a pain.

trick to bag custards is movement every few minutes (I just lift the bag, shake it a bit and back down) while cooking and specially constant (massage) while cooling in an ice bath.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

FireTora posted:

Think my original Nomiku might have just poo poo itself tonight. :saddowns: Just did 48 hour short ribs at 144 F. Was leaving some in for another 24 hours but it shut it self off after a hour or so. Some moisture looks like it got in the display/touch power. Leaving it out to dry tonight to see if it will magically start working, it shuts off after about 30 seconds right now.

have you tried sticking it in a bag of dry rice?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Phanatic posted:

Has anyone done creme brulee?

I've seen some recipes that involve setting up a rack for ramekins and filling with water to come up the sides of the ramekin, just like you'd do in a conventional oven, but that seems precarious when I'm trying to do it in a big pot that needs to be filled with enough water to be above the Anova's minimum fill line. I've also seen recipes that just cook a mess of custard in a bag and then you pour that into ramekins and set them in the fridge to set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHuXaJhRNY

And then I've seen some that involve pouring the raw custard into ramekins and wrapping the poo poo out of them with plastic wrap before putting then in the water, which to me sounds like crazy talk.

I was thinking of using little mason jars, instead of ramekins, because the lids would seal against immersion. But that'd make it hard to torch the sugar. Also thinking about doing the one-big-bag method, but adding a bit of gelatin to help it set, as if it were a panna cotta.

Thoughts?

Mason jars are exactly the ticket. I made a double batch of the recipe from ChefSteps (http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/creme-brulee) and it came out amazing. Just be sure to have long tongs or something to get the jars in/out with -- tipping them at the end isn't so bad, so you could use a spider or pour off the water, but putting them in straight down is vital to getting them to cook in a neatly vertical condition.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I ended up doing creme brule for Christmas dinner with just a bag and it turned out perfect. You need something to hold the bag down though since you have to use the water submersion method to get the air out (unless you have some insane vacuum chamber).

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Is it worth the effort to sous vide shrimp?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

I'd been thinking about doing that, shrimp overcooks pretty easily and I figured it would make sure the shrimp was tender and not rubbery

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr Executive posted:

Most shellfish come out quite well butter poached, which is what you get if you throw a shitload of butter in the bag before you throw it in the puddle machine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got a silverside cut of beef that I'd normally roast that is around 3 inches thick in something close to a cube. Can I puddle it and then sear to finish? It weighs a little under 1kg

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

MasterFugu posted:

have you tried sticking it in a bag of dry rice?

Not yet, it worked for about 30 more minutes this afternoon after being out all night/day. I'm getting this screen again, got it when it first stopped working. I just shot Nomiku a email about it to see what they say.

Edit: Update from Nomiku, they said they haven't seen that issue much and offered to replace it, return label included, no charge. Also offered to reimburse me for the ribs if they were lost from the problem. A+ customer service, would break again.

FireTora fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 24, 2015

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

SubG posted:

Most shellfish come out quite well butter poached, which is what you get if you throw a shitload of butter in the bag before you throw it in the puddle machine.

I just tried it and, although good, I don't think it was really worth the extra effort. I threw the shrimp in a bag with some butter, lemon zest and a little garlic salt. Vizzled for 30 minutes at 140. When it was done, I tossed the bag juice (butter) with fettuccine, sauteed eggplant, lemon juice, lemon zest, and parmesan. Then I added the shrimp and ate. Like I said, it was good, but I don't think it was very distinguishable from normal sauteed shrimp.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Mr Executive posted:

I just tried it and, although good, I don't think it was really worth the extra effort. I threw the shrimp in a bag with some butter, lemon zest and a little garlic salt. Vizzled for 30 minutes at 140. When it was done, I tossed the bag juice (butter) with fettuccine, sauteed eggplant, lemon juice, lemon zest, and parmesan. Then I added the shrimp and ate. Like I said, it was good, but I don't think it was very distinguishable from normal sauteed shrimp.

Hmm, I wonder if a lower temp would make more of a difference. I imagine that 140 would still give you a bit of rubbery texture. I'd try it at something closer to 120.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Mikey Purp posted:

Hmm, I wonder if a lower temp would make more of a difference. I imagine that 140 would still give you a bit of rubbery texture. I'd try it at something closer to 120.

Possibly helpful, and definitely relevant here, I found this earlier today. http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com/tags/sous-vide-shrimp-recipes 132 is the suggested temp for non-sushi-grade.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

G-Prime posted:

Possibly helpful, and definitely relevant here, I found this earlier today. http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com/tags/sous-vide-shrimp-recipes 132 is the suggested temp for non-sushi-grade.

FYI: Sushi-Grade is a marketing term. There is no regulated standard like USDA canner/select/choice/prime for meat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr Executive posted:

Yeah, the main advantage you get out of doing shellfish in the puddle machine is that it's falling-off-a-log easy and consistent. But you're generally not going to get a wildly different texture out of it (unless you're used to overcooked shellfish) because you generally want the same level of doneness that you'd be going for in a `conventional' cook.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

G-Prime posted:

Yeah, I saw this. I also saw things list 129, 140, 149. I chose something in the middle and picked 140. I'll probably give it another shot at a lower temp sometime, but I'm kinda doubting it's going to make a dramatic difference.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I sous vide and chill shrimp for shrimp cocktail. I find they don't shrink as much as other methods. I noticed they get a little mushy around where the heads are cut off. Kind of gross to think about, but I just run my finger over to remove.

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014
just ordered the stc-1000 on a whim after seeing a sois vide dish on reddit, Does anybody find they need to use a small aquarium water pump or anything? or is a crock pot full of water good enough for most applications?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I don't understand why you're not buying an Anova or Sansaire.

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014

geetee posted:

I don't understand why you're not buying an Anova or Sansaire.

im a bachelor who uses picnic dishes unless i have a female coming over. I need to take babysteps.

realistically though, i'll buy a higher end system if i end up needing it.

I work in the hydroponics industry, so extra temp controllers and water pumps are things i can always find other uses for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
One of the advantages of a PID setup is flexibility; you can add as big of a heating element as you want, use crock pots, rice cookers, use a system with no water and just air, etc.

I find with a crock pot that a circulators isn't necessary. Circulatory action will bring temp up faster, but a crock pot will get there and will maintain a relatively even temperature distribution

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That controller is $14 on Amazon, so that's probably why he bought that and not a Sansaire.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Ah, didn't realize how inexpensive the unit is. Also :airquote: hydroponics industry :airquote: :420:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I agree. I looked it up and went "oh".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014

geetee posted:

Ah, didn't realize how inexpensive the unit is. Also :airquote: hydroponics industry :airquote: :420:

Yeah, the unit seems to be the Go-To controller for DIY sous vide. Hundreds of videos on youtube featuring it and various ways to implement it.

and yeah.. I work for a medical cannabis fertilizer company, great time to be in the industry, but the industry itself is full of stoner mongoloids