Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

A MIRACLE posted:

My only caveat is that I'd like to be able to drive an Oculus Rift when they finally come out. I don't know what the resolution on those will be but I'd like to have a playable frame rate on it.

You are going to want a whole new system probably, for the Rift. It isn't that it's resolution matters so much for power required, it that it renders it twice, once for each eye. This is why nvidia is talking up their sli for vr stuff, because vr and stereo rendering required for it is one of the few things that sli makes sense for. The idea is one card would render for one eye, the other card would render for the other eye.

Vr is expensive to run like its designers intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

So is the 960 the upgrade for me? I'm coming from an old 650 that barely plays Wasteland 2 at 1080p. I only have a 400watt PSU that I really don't wanna go through the trouble of replacing. I play at 1920x1080 in most cases. Basically Stalker CoP and some Sturmovik 1942, but I want to play some GTA5 and a bit of Elite Dangerous. My only caveat is that I'd like to be able to drive an Oculus Rift when they finally come out. I don't know what the resolution on those will be but I'd like to have a playable frame rate on it.

You should post your rig, especially your power supply model and case size, in the building & parts sticky.
^^ uh yeah VR is another story, the games will run fine unless your power supply is hot garbage

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 23, 2015

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Any hope for a 960Ti 4GB card for ~$250?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
4GB seems like a stretch. I'd hedge my bets towards one with a 192-bit bus + 3GB VRAM.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Apparently the 970 GTX series has problems with performance after allocating the last 500mb of video ram.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/803518/geforce-900-series/gtx-970-3-5gb-vram-issue/post/4430032/#4430032

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2s2968/gtx970_memoryvram_allocation_bug/
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4991040
http://www.overclock.net/t/1535502/gtx-970s-can-only-use-3-5gb-of-4gb-vram-issue
http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1435408

Rumored to be a hardware problem. gently caress.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

1gnoirents posted:

300 watts for the 390x was a big downer for me. So once nvidia incorporates HBM, what appeal will be left? More aggressive pricing is about it

All depends on if the rumor mill is right or not. Nvida was said to be skipping 20nm and going straight to 16nm FinFET but TSMC is experiencing delays that could possible push a die shrink for nvida all the way into Q1 or Q2 2016. If AMD comes out with 20nm in 2015 and 14nm FinFET early 2016 we could see things get a lot more interesting.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure this was discussed when the story broke a week or so ago and most people thought it was a non-issue, or at the time at least not properly investigated yet. Has anyone besides a bunch of random forum posters actually tackled it yet?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm pretty sure this was discussed when the story broke a week or so ago and most people thought it was a non-issue, or at the time at least not properly investigated yet. Has anyone besides a bunch of random forum posters actually tackled it yet?

Ran the test real quick on my 970 GTX:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not officially.

Apparently someone wrote a benchmarking program for the VRAM and compared the 970 to the 980.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

A MIRACLE posted:

So is the 960 the upgrade for me? I'm coming from an old 650 that barely plays Wasteland 2 at 1080p. I only have a 400watt PSU that I really don't wanna go through the trouble of replacing. I play at 1920x1080 in most cases. Basically Stalker CoP and some Sturmovik 1942, but I want to play some GTA5 and a bit of Elite Dangerous. My only caveat is that I'd like to be able to drive an Oculus Rift when they finally come out. I don't know what the resolution on those will be but I'd like to have a playable frame rate on it.

Yes, though I'd say your CPU might affect GTA:V performance more than your GPU.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

floor is lava posted:

Apparently the 970 GTX series has problems with performance after allocating the last 500mb of video ram.

geforce forum poster posted:

Nvidia needs to just give everyone a GTX 980 in exchange for their GTX 970 at no additional cost for all the trouble everyone is going through, and for ignoring everyone about a issue that is obvious.
I haven't seen the problem on mine but everyone that does has showed overwhelming proof that the problem does in fact exist and by a large number into the thousands as it's not just being posted on nvidias site, it's all over the internet.

Stay classy, random internet dude. :allears:

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Couldn't get Shadow of Mordor to use more than 3.5gb even with the hd pack. Ran another testing tool that managed to allocate the everything but hung my computer p. bad after it hit the 3.5gb mark.

isndl posted:

Stay classy, random internet dude. :allears:

Peep this crazy guy:

quote:

I too am an owner of the 970 chip, precisely the MSI GTX 970 "4Gb" card. I'm currently attending my second year in college and heading into the computer science, software engineering fields where I intend to major. Anyhow, Nvidia breaching their advertised chip statistics kept bothering me all day, so I paid a visit to my dads lawyer after lunch and he told me that if it does in fact turn out that the cards cannot exceed 3.5Gb or live up to the expectations of the given stats by Nvidia, there is room for a lawsuit(s).

I gave him all my info (all the agreements and such of purchase) and he'll get back to me later this week or early next week. But the important part which he emphasized several times is DO NOT UPGRADE from here on out because that will void the current agreement, meaning if Nvidia covers all the loopholes in the purchase/upgrade agreement with the next driver update, and you choose to update, you abide to the updated drivers agreement. So, if a new driver update does get released, don't instantly update. Let the pawns go first and see if the update fixes/improves the issues or if it'll be Nvidia covering their as**s.

Edit: Spared some of the details, and it is fairly late here (3AM) so forgive for typos, poor sentence formation, etc..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It's pretty interesting. Did NVIDIA think people wouldn't eventually notice? My guess is yes, this is OCZ-level poo poo.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Whelp, glad I was too broke to get one at launch. Guess I'll hang off upgrading until the problem is worked out.

:toot:

970ti here we come.

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus
Found this in the geforce forums thread, posted it over in the PC Building & Parts thread but it's more appropriate here - it seems like the closest thing to a technical explanation so far?

quote:

From ocnet forum:
From the Nai's Benchmark, assuming if the allocation is caused by disabled of SMM units, and different bandwidth for each different gpus once Nai's Benchmark memory allocation reaches 2816MiBytes to 3500MiBytes range, I can only assume this is caused by the way SMM units being disabled.

Allow me to elaborate my assumption. As we know, there are four raster engines for GTX 970 and GTX 980.
Each raster engine has four SMM units. GTX 980 has full SMM units for each raster engine, so there are 16 SMM units.

GTX970 is made by disabling 3 of SMM units. What nvidia refused to told us is which one of the raster engine has its SMM unit being disabled.
I found most reviewers simply modified the high level architecture overview of GTX 980 diagram by removing one SMM unit for each three raster engine with one raster engine has four SMM unit intact.

First scenario
What if the first (or the second, third, fourth) raster engine has its 3 SMM units disabled instead of evenly spread across four raster engine?

Second scenario
Or, first raster engine has two SMM units disabled and second raster engine has one SMM unit disabled?

Oh, please do notice the memory controller diagram for each of the raster engine too. >.< If we follow the first scenario, definitely, the raster engine will not be able to make fully use of the memory controller bandwidth

64bit memory controller, total 4 memory controllers = 256 bit memory controller.
Assuming if there are 3 raster engines with each three has one SMM disabled leaving 1 raster engine with 4 SMM intact.
Mathematically ;
16 SMM = 256 bit = 4096 Mb
13 SMM = 208 bit = 3328 Mb

208 bit = effective width after disabling SMM with 256 bit being actual memory controller width

IT is hardware problem=GTX970 is 208bit card.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah the 970 has been that magical 192bit/3GB card that everyone is yearning for all along.
Just not for 250$ :downs:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 23, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

NVIDIA are supposedly looking into it.

But this whole thing seems like it was a design decision, and someone is getting worried that the cat's out of the bag.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I should probably be more concerned about having 500 MB of non functional RAM in my video card than I am, but that still leaves me with a 3.5x upgrade over my past card so eh :v:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So how's this going to go? Will there be a mass recall or are Nvidia just going to tell people to deal with it? Because at this point I kind of wish I went with the fairly cheaper yet roughly as powerful given the hardware faults, AMD option.

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

NVIDIA are supposedly looking into it.

But this whole thing seems like it was a design decision, and someone is getting worried that the cat's out of the bag.

It's fair to mention that post was made 12th January, and still no news. Huh.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
My gut instinct tells me Nvidia probably aren't even going to acknowledge it until it gets bigger than "SA and also some subreddit somewhere".

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

My gut instinct tells me Nvidia probably aren't even going to acknowledge it until it gets bigger than "SA and also some subreddit somewhere".

It's on pretty much all tech forums now but really it'd be great if some site like Anandtech picked it up.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Instant Grat posted:

Yeah, it's also on the official NVIDIA forums, and they responded there only 15 hours ago, but with absolutely nothing of use.

Just "we're looking into it".

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, it's also on the official NVIDIA forums, and they responded there only 15 hours ago, but with absolutely nothing of use.

Reading that thread makes my head hurt.

quote:

What if they reserved that feature for the 970TI

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

HalloKitty posted:

They're going to be praying it's either a software fix or something they can bury after selling 1-2 million of the things. It'll likely end up taking quite awhile to get any resolution though - anyone else remember chipgate?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Well I for one won't turn down a free 980 upgrade or some cash back.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

cisco privilege posted:

something they can bury after selling 1-2 million of the things. It'll likely end up taking quite awhile to get any resolution though - anyone else remember chipgate?

a) That's what I'm thinking will happen
b) Oh yes, I remember

It already seems like something in the 970 driver is generally forcing it to allocate less RAM in DirectX (although not in OpenGL) so it doesn't hit the dodgy spot, although under enough pressure it can allocate more and cause huge stutters. Seen tests where the 980 allocates more under the exact same circumstances.

So, a tad suspicious to say the least.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The issue should only manifest when moving >3.5GB of data at a time. It's not about occupying the memory, but moving it around all at once. Game engines won't be doing that though - it's an issue that'll only appear on synthetic tests.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The issue should only manifest when moving >3.5GB of data at a time. It's not about occupying the memory, but moving it around all at once. Game engines won't be doing that though - it's an issue that'll only appear on synthetic tests.

I'm not so sure about that. It happened when I was just allocating.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Ill pretend like im mad to get in on a recall but honestly, its owning pretty hard for a broken card. I consistently use 3.5 GB though so perhaps I should be more interested

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm in the 'it's still better than what I had' boat as well.

Anyone who thinks they're going to do a recall is deluding themselves. Even if this does get to a class action, the most anyone will get would likely be a discount/gift card to use on a new and hopefully non-flawed future card. They aren't going to eat as big of a dick as they did with the faulty mobile chips because the cards still *work* the vast majority of the time, and despite how many 970s they've sold, the number PALES in comparison to the amount of 7xxx/8xxxM parts that were used in OEM boxes - and OEMs are the customers nVidia *actually* cares about, hence their hoop jumping when they were caught having used inferior chipmaking methods.

It might be fixable or at least able to be mitigated by dickering around in the BIOS and then filtering the 'fix' out to the AIB companies.

That being said - remember when everyone was like "oh poo poo, the 970's like 80-85% the performance of the 980 and they're selling it for $329!!! How's *that* work?" Yeah, well...now we know.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
On one hand, it really sucks that they're being super dishonest to consumers and refuse to acknowledge a problem.

On the other, a 970 with 3.5GB of VRAM is still an awesome card. I just hope they put out a driver that locks out the last 500MB on it, so that people who have the card aren't forced to balance VRAM usage in certain games.

Hace fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 23, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Welp finally got off my rear end and listed my vast array of video cards that need to be sold. Bring on the new cards that actually improve my games over my 290x.

ScrotemPole
May 31, 2006
Hey all.

I broke my ancient gtx260 giving it a clean.

Can you recommend a replacement, it only needs to be a slight improvement, enough to run TF2 at 1080p but a little quieter would be good.

My system is very old, E8400 cpu on 4 GB with Win7.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ScrotemPole posted:

Hey all.

I broke my ancient gtx260 giving it a clean.

Can you recommend a replacement, it only needs to be a slight improvement, enough to run TF2 at 1080p but a little quieter would be good.

My system is very old, E8400 cpu on 4 GB with Win7.

This is really one for the parts picking thread, but if you don't want to spend a lot (around $100), and you just want a card that's decent and quiet, a Geforce 750 (or 750 Ti if you can stretch a bit) is the way to go.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 23, 2015

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm looking to upgrade from a GTX460 (only 768MB of RAM because I'm a moron, but it has 2x 6-pin connectors so at least my PSU is set...)

With the 960 gimped and a budget of preferably under $200...what are my options? Am I limited to only used 600-700 series stuff for nVidia? My main goal is that it not be obsolete for gaming (i.e. it's not below minimum specs) for a few years, even if I have to drop quality/resolution to nigh-unviewable levels, and I'd prefer something quiet.

e: i'm going to assume the above answer applies to me too.

ScrotemPole
May 31, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

This is really one for the parts picking thread, but if you don't want to spend a lot (around $100), and you just want a card that's decent and quiet, a Geforce 750 (or 750 Ti if you can stretch a bit) is the way to go.

Cool, thanks.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

oldskool posted:

I'm looking to upgrade from a GTX460 (only 768MB of RAM because I'm a moron, but it has 2x 6-pin connectors so at least my PSU is set...)

With the 960 gimped and a budget of preferably under $200...what are my options? Am I limited to only used 600-700 series stuff for nVidia? My main goal is that it not be obsolete for gaming (i.e. it's not below minimum specs) for a few years, even if I have to drop quality/resolution to nigh-unviewable levels, and I'd prefer something quiet.

e: i'm going to assume the above answer applies to me too.
Just about anything's going to be an improvement on a 460, especially with that amount of VRAM. A used 660/ti or a 760 might be something you can find cheap. I saw a used 670 on a hardware forum for $140 the other day. Alternatively you could look into a used AMD R9 280/X, and some of the new R9 285's were just dropped to $180ish with rebates since the 960's came out.

edit: I spent around $200 shipped for my 290, but I'd doubt any custom-cooled models can be found around that price now even used.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 23, 2015

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.
Are there any good products/guides that I can use/follow to help diagnose a hardware problem with a GPU?

I just moved overseas, and the computer came across via freight and I'm afraid the trip damaged the GPU. The computer works fine for normal use, but when I try to play anything that would actually hit the card, it's incredibly slow and choppy. This is a new PC I built before moving, and it worked great before the move. This weekend I'm free and want to try to fix the problem if I can, but since everything works pretty well I'm a little stuck on where I should start trying to troubleshoot the issue. I'd rather not go buy a new card, since I think I'd have to sell a kidney to afford one in Bermuda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

War Eagle posted:

Are there any good products/guides that I can use/follow to help diagnose a hardware problem with a GPU?

I just moved overseas, and the computer came across via freight and I'm afraid the trip damaged the GPU. The computer works fine for normal use, but when I try to play anything that would actually hit the card, it's incredibly slow and choppy. This is a new PC I built before moving, and it worked great before the move. This weekend I'm free and want to try to fix the problem if I can, but since everything works pretty well I'm a little stuck on where I should start trying to troubleshoot the issue. I'd rather not go buy a new card, since I think I'd have to sell a kidney to afford one in Bermuda.

Check all the connectors, unplug and replug everything in. Check the fans make sure they are spinning at the proper speed. Run a CPU/GPU temp monitoring program. If the issue persists post in the Haus of tech support sub forum.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170