Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Gaming journalists love pretentious games that try to 'further' the genre into the mythical state of Cultural Acceptance no matter how shallow and dumb it is. All in a desperate attempt not to have to lie to hot chicks at the bar about their 'profession'. Ironically enough these games and gaming journalists have the exact opposite effect in practice.

Bioshock: Infinite, any David Cage game, parts of otherwise good games that takes itself way too seriously on some random social issue (read: Kojima games), etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

kojima games own

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Ekster posted:

Gaming journalists love pretentious games that try to 'further' the genre into the mythical state of Cultural Acceptance no matter how shallow and dumb it is. All in a desperate attempt not to have to lie to hot chicks at the bar about their 'profession'. Ironically enough these games and gaming journalists have the exact opposite effect in practice.

imagine if current releases reviewed video games and where the norm.txt

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ekster posted:

Bioshock: Infinite, any David Cage game, parts of otherwise good games that takes itself way too seriously on some random social issue (read: Kojima games), etc.

bioshock infinite is trash, but games which take themselves seriously can also own a lot sorry

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Ekster posted:

You fuckin retarded moron! !!!!!!!!!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You realize there's an annual fighting game tournament in the US with like, 5000 players in the same room

Am I supposed to be impressed that 80% of the people who still like fighting games can fit in one room?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Am I supposed to be impressed that 80% of the people who still like fighting games can fit in one room?
Are we supposed to be impressed by your lack of social awareness?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

kalstrams posted:

Are we supposed to be impressed by your lack of social awareness?

The most recently made game at EVO has a 73 metacritic, a 74% at game rankings, and introduced the good old scummy F2P model to fighting games. Because grinding like you're a gold farmer in an MMO to get characters wasn't bad enough.

Fighting games are clearly getting more popular :rolleyes:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wasn't SF4 like the best selling street fighter over all

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nasgate posted:

The most recently made game at EVO has a 73 metacritic, a 74% at game rankings, and introduced the good old scummy F2P model to fighting games. Because grinding like you're a gold farmer in an MMO to get characters wasn't bad enough.

Did a fighting game murder your father or something

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Oh lord, metacritic and game rankings. What next, IGN reviews?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Stux posted:

wasn't SF4 like the best selling street fighter over all
To get SF4 greenlit, Ono had to do all sorts of weird beating-around-the-bush things like pitching it as "Street Fighter 20th Anniversary Edition" to get the execs to agree to have it made.

To get SF5 greenlit, seven years and three expansions later, he just asked.

They're certainly not doing COD numbers, but between expansions, costume DLC and their cut of every credit bought on Japanese arcade cabinets, they're definitely making their money back.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

uhh just ask? didn't he have to get funding from sony because capcom didn't want to make a new one

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

No, I just get bizarre enjoyment out of engaging with people that are in denial that fighting games is another niche market that's dwindling. It's like talking with doomsdayers or conspiracy theorists. Especially people that like ripping out the fun of games for "balance" and "competitive viability"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Davincie posted:

uhh just ask? didn't he have to get funding from sony because capcom didn't want to make a new one
I'm going off this brief interview with Ono (Polygon warning) that says he put together his pitch near the end of Dead Rising 3 development and faced little resistance to the idea. Maybe some revisionist history's in play for publicity's sake, but even if SF4 sold a squillion copies I doubt Capcom would have passed up Sony's money.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You guys, enjoying something which isn't as commercially successful as it used to be. What a bunch of losers :rolleyes:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

A Steampunk Gent posted:

no one has ever called me a fighting game before

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Davincie posted:

it more because cap com couldn't afford to make a new one right now, because cap com is hosed. SF itself is one of their few profitable IPs left at the moment.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Especially people that like ripping out the fun of games for "balance" and "competitive viability"
:laugh:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but what is the best Puzzle Bobble or Bust A Move? Not a the dancing game, the bubble popping game.
Bust a Move 4 for the PS1. Variety of game types, decent mechanics. Also the last game in the series.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hm, which game is the most tedious one, is it dark soles?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ahundredbux posted:

marvel homos

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ahundredbux posted:

Probably one of the Dark Cloud games.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
whatever happened to bust a groove that psx dancing game

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bust a Nut

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ahundredbux posted:

Drakkhen for the Super Nintendo.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Keep in mind I've never actually played dark souls so it's probably not it

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ekster posted:

I heard that gaming journalists wear gloves on their feet and socks on their hands and use foodstamps to buy scratchoff tickets and have sex through a hole in a sheet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I am bored and doing nothing of consequence at work today, I should really remember to bring D2 in on a flash drive so that I can Diablo on the company dime.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Sleeveless posted:

I heard that gaming journalists wear gloves on their feet and socks on their hands and use foodstamps to buy scratchoff tickets and have sex through a hole in a sheet.

We got a journalist here.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gaming journalists eat their bread with the butter side down.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

:cripes:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

relax.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I usually don't have toast for breakfast

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I usually don't have toast for breakfast

like most video game RPG heroes, I skip breakfast and lunch.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The Wii U is the best console. Can't wait to play claymation Kirby. lol if you own any other console.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The Wii U is the best console. Can't wait to play claymation Kirby. lol if you own any other console.

please don't lol at vita owners

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Nasgate posted:

hahaha what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm not even sure what game that is tbh

• Locked thread