Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arquinsiel posted:

Both the 82nd and 101st still exist as active formations, though just what "Airborne" means these days has changed dramatically. Otherwise a great effortpost :golfclap: </nitpick>

You probably know this, but the 101st is now an Air Assault division, with an emphasis on helicopter insertions and extractions. It actually lost its last certified paratrooper units in last January.

http://archive.armytimes.com/article/20140109/NEWS/301090008/End-an-era-101st-Paratroopers-lose-jump-status-heritage-patch-remain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Arquinsiel posted:

Both the 82nd and 101st still exist as active formations, though just what "Airborne" means these days has changed dramatically. Otherwise a great effortpost :golfclap: </nitpick>

101st isn't "airborne" anymore, since they're an air-assault/heliborne unit now, but they keep the "Airborne" title for historical reasons.

But 82nd is still very much airborne-qualified and made combat drops during the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

JcDent posted:

And yeah, judging by everything, VDV occupies a place in Russian heart like not unit (maybe except for Marine Corps) does in American hearts. I'm curious if the British are particularly proud of any unit, branch or service.

The Paras (although they're not airborne-qualified anymore, except for the battalion attached to the Special Force Support Group) and the Royal Marine Commandos are probably the closest. Them and the SAS.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 23, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Them three exactly. Poor SBS, always just outside the medals :smith:

Kaal posted:

You probably know this, but the 101st is now an Air Assault division, with an emphasis on helicopter insertions and extractions. It actually lost its last certified paratrooper units in last January.

http://archive.armytimes.com/article/20140109/NEWS/301090008/End-an-era-101st-Paratroopers-lose-jump-status-heritage-patch-remain
Yup, but comparing them to the Soviet cold-war era "we're landing tanks in planes" it's still apples to apples. The 108th still exists too, but it's totally changed function so I didn't count it. Not sure it even saw combat before being reclassified as plain old Infantry, and it's now a training command.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What were the casualty rates like for WWII paratroopers compared to other footsoldiers? Would someone who volunteered for a paratroop unit be at a much higher or lower risk of death than someone drafted into infantry?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

"8. You must grasp the full purpose of every enterprise, so that if your leader is killed you can fulfill it."

So that's where FoW got their Geman Mission Tactics (well, I assume Germans followed it in general, but I've never seen it spelled out).
Auftragstaktik, or *ahem* Führen mit Auftrag, has been a thing since the Franco-Prussian war, and some people argue even earlier.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 23, 2015

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Bacarruda posted:

The Paras (although they're not airborne-qualified anymore

What happened here? The cold war thread would have me thinking it's typical British procurement and they just never bought them something new to jump out of

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Tracers are fairly :pcgaming: and have been for pretty much ever. They started throwing in coloring metals pretty quick because you didn't want to inadvertently guide your fire according to enemy tracers (unless you were firing at the source of those tracers :getin:) so you have stuff like red and green and purple and orange these days for various uses.

Apparently some squad leaders would load whole magazines full of tracers to more easily direct the squad's fire, which is impressive.

I thought tracers were now designed to only shine backwards (toward the firer), so the enemy couldn't identify your position by your own tracers?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Bacarruda posted:

But 82nd is still very much airborne-qualified and made combat drops during the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Nah, you're thinking of the 173rd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/173rd_Airborne_Brigade_Combat_Team#Operation_Iraqi_Freedom_I

82nd did parachute into Panama and some other Latin American brush war in the 1980s though.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

Molentik posted:

The subs did pretty well, and while technically not Navy, the Dutch merchant navy played a pretty important part in supplying the Allies in the war, with over 850 ships being pressed into service at the start of the war. About half of them were sunk during the war, but transports arent sexy so it's not well known sadly.

Here is a pretty good documentary about them (in Dutch) http://www.npogeschiedenis.nl/andere-tijden/afleveringen/2010-2011/Gevaren-op-zee-de-koopvaardij-in-WOII-Deel-1.html

Thanks, this is pretty informative and what I was looking for.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

What do you think about the one where the American town is time-warped into 30YW Germany and teaches them about democracy and freedom?

That book was so bad it created a paradox erasing itself and its author out of existence, so I have no idea what you're talking about. :colbert:

Raenir Salazar posted:

He's not terrible, lets be objective here, he's a flawed writer that until the most recent books his characters essentially serve as walking camera's for his alternate timeline; which to be fair is essentially the reason for reading alternate history in the first place. We had a What If we wanted to read about, and he delivers.

The problem is that they lack narrative. There's no development arc, no lessons learned, no internal struggle to overcome, each character ends the book (or dies) the same character as they started except "they saw stuff happen". But that could almost be argued as an interesting literary device in of itself as delivering an experience that's "You watching alternate history happen." The only thing I'd agree with as actually being bad about the writing is how drat repetitive he is for every book that has a sequel for every character.

To be fair, I liked his books about Union-soldiers transported to another world full of carnivorous aliens, cultivating the occasionally arriving humans as meat source. The series got repetitive too, but there was at least some progress overall with the brave American soldiers building a new civilization while killing a shitload of aliens.

Since I'm not really a fan of alternative history, I avoided Turtledove's other books like the plague, so I can't speak for them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought tracers were now designed to only shine backwards (toward the firer), so the enemy couldn't identify your position by your own tracers?

Nope.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Throatwarbler posted:

Nah, you're thinking of the 173rd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/173rd_Airborne_Brigade_Combat_Team#Operation_Iraqi_Freedom_I

82nd did parachute into Panama and some other Latin American brush war in the 1980s though.

Uh, I mis-remembered. The 82nd didn't drop in Iraq (they were supposed to drop into Baghdad to take the airport, but the mission got scrubbed).

iirc, elements of the 82nd did jump into Afghanistan.

Rabhadh posted:

What happened here? The cold war thread would have me thinking it's typical British procurement and they just never bought them something new to jump out of

MoD budget cuts. The 2nd and 3rd Battalions, the Parachute Regiment are part of 16 Air Assault Brigade. As a unit, they aren't parachute-qualified anymore, but they are trained to be helimobile in the Chinooks of the Joint Helicopter Force.

The RAF still has C-130s and C-17s, both of which are more than capable of dropping troops.

e: to clarify, there are still some Paras who jump regularly and can be used as a rapid-reaction force, but most Paras aren't getting parachute qualified/re-qualified.

The Lone Badger posted:

There are tracers that can only be seen when wearing night-vision goggles. They're mostly used for helicopter door guns.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 23, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

JcDent posted:

Oh, and on Americans: doesn't "airborne" mean "helos all around" these days?

No. Airborne units* and the Airborne training program are all parachute based.

*101st excepted, since they retain the historical title but are now in helos as an Air Assault division - as someone else posted.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Holy poo poo, that article gets bad fast.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

And yeah, judging by everything, VDV occupies a place in Russian heart like not unit (maybe except for Marine Corps) does in American hearts.

The VDV, just like the Marines, consists entirely of self-aggrandizing assholes, so it's basically exactly like the Marines, except instead of telling everyone they were in the VDV, they get their own holiday and swim in fountains.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's just difficult to see why in a modern air environment permissive enough to deploy paratroopers you would actually want to do so..

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Alchenar posted:

It's just difficult to see why in a modern air environment permissive enough to deploy paratroopers you would actually want to do so..

I think in Afghanistan in 2001 they were used to seize an airport that additional troops could be ferried into? Useful for invading weak countries that don't have convenient land borders or coastlines.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The argument would be that any potential target of an airdrop can just as easily be seized by troops borne on helicopters, with the added benefit that if it all goes wrong at least some of the them can un-deploy via the same method.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

The VDV, just like the Marines, consists entirely of self-aggrandizing assholes, so it's basically exactly like the Marines, except instead of telling everyone they were in the VDV, they get their own holiday and swim in fountains.

Still didn't stop me from buying their telnyashka.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So did Japanese mini subs ever do anything useful? Did other militaries ever use mini subs for combat purposes?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

We're still doing air drops in future wargames all the time. The maneuver guys are like HOOAH AIRBORNE RAH and everyone else just kind of rolls their eyes. In a recent wargame they got pissed because we do not have, nor plan to have, an air droppable counter-RAM capability.

I do like the mental image of some Chinese SAM operator watching his scope as a couple dozen C-17s, loaded with paratroopers, lumber into his airspace at 2000 ft and 180 kts. After he's done ejaculating the scene would be quite something.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
John Frost made four combat jumps during WW2 - Bruneval raid, Tunisia (their target turned out to be empty), Sicily and Arnhem. Maybe some SAS types jumped more, and unlucky fighter jocks.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I remember reading some general explaining how paras were not of much military use but were an excellent motivator. A column of ground forces moved much more quickly if there were a bunch of paras at the objective that needed to be saved from destruction. It may have been the French in Algeria.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The French not too long ago airdropped a battalion IIRC in Mali as well, which seemed useful because helos weren't thick on the ground, ranges were huge, and they could deploy straight out of France.

I can imagine airdropping some dudes in shootmanitarian situations like Mount Sinjar works too.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

quote:

Late on in the Second World War, as the Allies were fighting their way across northern Europe, a battalion of Gurkhas was asked to provide some volunteers for a mission behind enemy lines.

The unit was paraded, and a staff officer explained the mission: "It is absolutely vital that you need to go in and secure the position. We only expect light resistance from the Germans. You'll be dropped from an aircraft at 1200 feet."

The Gurkhas' own commanding officer then asked for volunteers to take one step forward. About half of the men stepped forward.

The British officer was surprised. "I thought the Gurkhas were supposed to be the bravest men of all," he said to the Gurkha c/o. "And it's not as though we expect this to be a particularly dangerous job."

"True," said the Gurkha officer. "But half of them have just volunteered to jump from 1200 feet. Perhaps you should tell them they’ll have parachutes."

The truth

The story is apocryphal, but it neatly captures the awe in which the Gurkhas have been held in the British army for generations. It's not just the British who admire the Gurkhas; Indian Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw (1914-2008) famously said: "If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha."

The parachute gag has been doing the rounds in slightly varying versions for decades, but a bit of research suggests it may well have originated with Field Marshal William Slim (1891-1970), who between the wars was himself a Gurkha officer. He loved telling stories about their bravery. In his version, the Gurkhas are told they're to jump out at 300 feet, and the Havildar (sergeant) asks if they can jump closer to the ground, but it's explained to him that any lower than 300ft won't give their parachutes time to open. "Oh," replies the Havildar, "so we get parachutes, eh?"

Always thought this was a funny joke.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Koesj posted:

The French not too long ago airdropped a battalion IIRC in Mali as well, which seemed useful because helos weren't thick on the ground, ranges were huge, and they could deploy straight out of France.

I can imagine airdropping some dudes in shootmanitarian situations like Mount Sinjar works too.

Are they also doing resupply, casualty evacuation, and close air support over these huge ranges too? Because there was another French parachute operation in the past where they didn't quite think this stuff through and then it turns out the enemy they dropped into the middle of *did* have artillery after all!

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

SquadronROE posted:

So did Japanese mini subs ever do anything useful? Did other militaries ever use mini subs for combat purposes?

The Italians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decima_Flottiglia_MAS

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

When I lived in Italy, the Venetian Nautical Museum had a Maiale (Pig) in the front hallway, I was always fascinated by them.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Are they also doing resupply, casualty evacuation, and close air support over these huge ranges too? Because there was another French parachute operation in the past where they didn't quite think this stuff through and then it turns out the enemy they dropped into the middle of *did* have artillery after all!

They did. Linkup with the ground column was after a couple of days, and they had constant CAS and helo support throughout, just not enough helo support to get all those ground troops there as fast and cohesive as compared to airdropping them. They also secured an airstrip at H1 and flew in lots of stuff afterwards.

I know you were being facetious, but AQIM isn't exactly uncle Ho's all-conquering team, and long range vertical envelopment can be very useful in 'string of pearls' situations like in lots of African places. The Bush War, while AFAIK not involving any parachuting *troops*, saw all kinds of air-deliverd mom and pop solutions being used, and subsequent PMC ops in Angola were sometimes wholly dependent on pallets of stuff being kicked out of Dakotas.

e: Looks like 4 helos and a DC3 was a standard COIN reinforcement op for Rhodesian forces as well.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 23, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SquadronROE posted:

German midget subs and E-boats were the only Kriegsmarine assets to successfully attack the Normandy landings.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

I've been ferreting out some German views of the war available in translation; meet Herbert Sulzbach and his near neighbour, the German Sapper. Sulzbach's in the artillery and was recently promoted to Gefreiter (which the translation, ahem, translates as Lance-Bombardier); it's left as an exercise to the reader to work out what the anonymous German Sapper's rank and role is. (Although, for an engineer, he does seem to spend a surprising amount of time shooting at things.) There's also enough time to check in with Louis Barthas, who's found a highly unusual sleeping place, and note that the Germans are planning a raid against the British fishing fleet off the Dogger Bank. Apparently the trawlers have been looking at them funny. Or something. And John Chilembwe's on the move in Nyasaland.

Also, the adverts in today's paper are spectacularly boring, so I've clipped the chess problems instead. Anyone dare to have a go at them?

(It's a decent rest of the paper, though, if rather food-obsessed; bad meat, dried fruit, and "Migratory Buffets & Kitchens"!)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 23, 2015

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It seems to me that if you can drop a company sized or larger unit of paratroopers at an objective then you can probably just land them in helicopters/osprey/what-have-you at less risk. Although, I guess that wouldn't hold true if you can drop large groups of people more stealthily than is readily apparent (I expect that capability would be considered strategically sensitive and not widely discussed).

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Murgos posted:

It seems to me that if you can drop a company sized or larger unit of paratroopers at an objective then you can probably just land them in helicopters/osprey/what-have-you at less risk. Although, I guess that wouldn't hold true if you can drop large groups of people more stealthily than is readily apparent (I expect that capability would be considered strategically sensitive and not widely discussed).

This is probably a stupid question, but has anyone ever tried to land a sizable force of troops jumping from high altitude and without static line? Is the combat weight just far too high for that sort of force when the chute finally opens?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

This is going to take a moment. Here's a quick link to today's entry. It's a bit of a departure from the usual routine, so:

The last 15 years or so have seen a growing contingent of historians who are trying to re-evaluate the First World War and its context. I've referred to the conclusions they often end up with, possibly slightly unfairly, as the Sheffield-Gove view, after its most prominent member, Dr Gary Sheffield, and the oiky politician who more recently brought revisionist thinking to a wide audience. I like a lot of what's been done by revisionists. There's a lot of extremely useful research been done by them, on all kinds of subjects. Addressing myths like "the blokes spent years in the firing line", "we shot thousands for cowardice", "the generals were all morons who learned nothing in four years", "the Somme was a complete disaster", the list of things is as long as your arm. Unquestionably, a lot of their work puts the war in a more nuanced and interesting light.

(Sheffield's book Forgotten Victory is the quickest, cheapest, most widely-available revisionist text - all the major themes are in there.)

And then they start talking about what it was all for. For some reason, revisionists have this urge to show that going to war was the morally right thing to do, and that Britain in particular faced the same kind of existential threat that had to be combated. Sheffield's Grauniad piece prefers to refer to "Britain", in rather the same way that "England" was widely used in 1915 to stand for either the UK or the Empire as a whole. It's extremely telling that his only reference to the Empire is as "Britain and its empire", as though the Empire were some gauche black-sheep distant Took cousin to Britain's respectable, reasonable Baggins family. Of course, he's happy to talk about the aggressive, militaristic, expansionist policies of the German Empire, without speculating how they might have come about in the first place...

So this is why today's entry is about Malawian national hero John Chilembwe (he's on their money), who is just about to lead an uprising against the white settlers in (as-was) Nyasaland. It's also about some of the features of British Empire rule in Nyasaland that have brought him to this point. Spoilers: there isn't much liberal democracy to be found here.

I really like how you're showing that WWI wasn't just a European conflict, both in terms of covering the experience of troops pulled from the colonies and sent to fight in France and in terms of how the war's affecting the parts of the world under colonial occupation when their imperial rulers all decided to try to blow one another up.

(Also, Sheffield drives me up the loving wall, holy poo poo.)

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So it's been made clear to me based on the responses of all you wonderful people that the "airborne" as I know it is largely a relic of the past. I'm gonna have to go back to the drawing board again, and I think it'd be prudent to go to the fiction advice thread on Creative Convention for "what if" questions. Thanks for the info, though. I appreciate it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Benny the Snake posted:

So it's been made clear to me based on the responses of all you wonderful people that the "airborne" as I know it is largely a relic of the past. I'm gonna have to go back to the drawing board again, and I think it'd be prudent to go to the fiction advice thread on Creative Convention for "what if" questions. Thanks for the info, though. I appreciate it.

What the heck? Write what you want. Besides, are they airborne, or an equivalent to airborne?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah man be creative, use real world for inspiration but don't let it rail road you in matters of fiction. I mean, what if there was some sort of super tech that makes anything but high orbital drops just not possible to do?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Benny the Snake posted:

Yeah, I'm writing a military sci-fi story and I'm a bit enamoured with the airborne. Something about jumping out of a goddamn plane into combat speaks volumes about the kind of balls these men have/had.

Generally they drop into a theater and secure things like airbases, for the wave of non parachute equipped mudbugs, and after that they are just "Elite" Infantry. Think of them as a "Beachhead" force minus the beach and you get the idea. Special forces groups/rangers and the like are more likely to do multiple jumps.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah man be creative, use real world for inspiration but don't let it rail road you in matters of fiction. I mean, what if there was some sort of super tech that makes anything but high orbital drops just not possible to do?

My initial idea for something like that would be an air defense system that can easily target atmospheric craft or slowly drifting parachutes, forcing airborne to exclusively perform HALO-style drops from orbit at high speed to slip through the flak and missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They were shooting down U2s with SAMs in the 1960s, how much higher are your dropships supposed to be flying? The "parachuting into a place where people on the ground are shooting at you" ship has kind of sailed at this point.

• Locked thread