Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Classic Funky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's Cosplay Week in Pogo. Or considering how Walt Kelly paced these things, Cosplay Month. (January 23-24, 1957, and no, I haven't read ahead...)

Peanuts: Year Two (February 25-27, 1952)

Super-Fun-Pak Comix

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hanna Dingdong is looking thirsty as hell.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Julet Esqu posted:

Whatever peril Gunther now faces, I can't imagine it's more perilous than people who change your clothes while you sleep. Is that just me? I always find it really creepy when it happens in movies.

Well, yes, you can leave Peru just like that. That is sort of the point of an airport.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Calaveron posted:

I assume Pleter and Kwagmire are supposed to be in their mid-20's. Is being a lonely only child really a germane subject to broach at that point of your life?

You mean I'm not the only one who thought this was Bizarro Family Guy?

Since it's Cross-over week and judging by that maw, is this Pigborn or 9-Gamweed lane?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Julet Esqu posted:

They're gonna pass that kid around like a doobie. :stare:

That's a lot of mothering and grandmothering. Dreams really do come true in Peru!

TofuDiva posted:

Classic Funky

Literally ripping up her paycheck. Tom Batiuk, ladies and gentlemen.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Howard Beale posted:

That's a lot of mothering and grandmothering. Dreams really do come true in Peru!
Seriously. Isn't this what Gunther wanted? Maybe the manchildren from Intelligent Life could join them.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm suddenly remembering that this whole flashback is Gunther telling the story of his journey to Quill and his mom. So every time Gunther is in this flashback saying "And then I told Rosa (/the kindly truck driver/those old bus ladies/that nice woman with the llama) that I had to get home and stop my mom from getting laid," he's saying it to his mom. She must be really impressed with this story.

Gunther is a bad son.

Sally Forth

OH HOW I WISH IT WERE TRUE.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Juliet Jones

Get yourself a decent lawyer, kiddo.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

I got lovely drunk off A Beer, and rode in comfort on a guided tour bus for grandmas. I even had to change my own diaper a few times. It was hell and the beard stays, Mom!!

Julet Esqu posted:

Gunther is a bad son.

Gunther is a bad everything.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 23, 2015

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Wait, Nona's in grad school? Then why is she so well-groomed, on top of the dishes, and wearing what appears to be expensive clothing in the other strips? She doesn't even look like she has an alcohol problem! My immersion is ruined.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

Knowing Steve Kelley I assumed it was something really lame.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

And naturally, Bleeker took on the role of pooper scooper. (Or maybe it was Karl.)

On the Fastrack

Ever consider picking up Chinese?

Safe Havens

"Now that we just got married like an hour ago, I guess we should probably start thinking about finding somewhere to live together."

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Those two are into transformation fetish. They're not going to stop, Samantha.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Whatever peril Gunther now faces, I can't imagine it's more perilous than people who change your clothes while you sleep. Is that just me? I always find it really creepy when it happens in movies.
Depends who it is, really. Complete strangers like this is definitely weird though.

They should just mark lanes on footpaths everywhere. Not for people who aren't paying attention to where they're walking, to stop groups of people from taking up the whole drat walkway. Keep to one side! :argh:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Ema Nymton posted:

Those two are into transformation fetish. They're not going to stop, Samantha.
Didn't she just give them a gene splicer as a gift and is now telling them not to use it?

SomeMathGuy posted:

Wait, Nona's in grad school? Then why is she so well-groomed, on top of the dishes, and wearing what appears to be expensive clothing in the other strips? She doesn't even look like she has an alcohol problem! My immersion is ruined.
She's obviously in an executive MBA program and has to give a big presentation today. Pretty much any other grad program would fit your description though.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 23, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This doesn't make sense. Yes, hieroglyphs do sometimes represent the actual object or concept they depict, but far more frequently they're read as phonemes, just like English letters. The ancient Egyptians had words for more than just birds, eyes and reeds, after all. It's actually much harder than English to interpret, because sometimes hieroglyphs are ideograms, sometimes they're homophones of the ideogram, and sometimes they're phonemes related to some other aspect of the ideogram (eg: represents the sound at the beginning of the word), and sometimes none of the above, depending on how the scribe was feeling on that day.

:spergin:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

So Rosa's waiting for him at the airport to say goodbye...hasn't she been there for over a week? Has she just been hanging out at the departure gate all this time? If not, how did she know when to get there if she had no idea that Gunther was gallavantly all around Peru with the old ladies' club?

:psyduck:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon hasn't updated

Bizarro

Dilbert

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

This doesn't make sense. Yes, hieroglyphs do sometimes represent the actual object or concept they depict, but far more frequently they're read as phonemes, just like English letters. The ancient Egyptians had words for more than just birds, eyes and reeds, after all. It's actually much harder than English to interpret, because sometimes hieroglyphs are ideograms, sometimes they're homophones of the ideogram, and sometimes they're phonemes related to some other aspect of the ideogram (eg: represents the sound at the beginning of the word), and sometimes none of the above, depending on how the scribe was feeling on that day.

:spergin:

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
Skeptoid did an episode on Ripley's Believe It or Not. Turns out he was kind of an rear end in a top hat and pulled a lot of facts out of his rear end.

Episode: http://skeptoid.com/audio/skeptoid-4450.mp3
Transcript: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4450

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ms Boods posted:

So Rosa's waiting for him at the airport to say goodbye...hasn't she been there for over a week? Has she just been hanging out at the departure gate all this time? If not, how did she know when to get there if she had no idea that Gunther was gallavantly all around Peru with the old ladies' club?

:psyduck:

Gunther never left home, and was actually in a coma for a couple of months. This is his coma-dream.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
^^^^^ Beautiful! ^^^^^ :golfclap:

Jane's World

Please don't flashback... pleasepleaseplease.

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Man, didn't we just see this one? In, like, the last month or so?

Kliban

:haw:

9 Chickweed Lane 1/23/2004

Popping eyes?

Zits

Kevin & Kell

What? Wait, I get it. Burst bubble? That's kind of "reaching", Holbrook.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the spinning ball is the load icon for Macs.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's the mac loading cursor

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac engages in some low tech winter fun.

The Creeps discovers that the Tom Sawyer trick only works if you're not gullible yourself.

Poptropica is gross today, you may want to slide your eyes on down to heathcliff, if you don't already.

Heathcliff I had a hard time figuring out where his arms were at first today.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

What? Wait, I get it. Burst bubble? That's kind of "reaching", Holbrook.

It's a Macintosh loading thing.

e: ugh, beaten...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

EasyEW posted:

It's a Macintosh loading thing.

e: ugh, beaten...

he really doesnt know poo poo about computers does he

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Indolent Bastard posted:

Monty

three comics that do not even attempt to have punchlines

Man, what the hell?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DoubleDonut posted:

Man, what the hell?
The old man is smoothing out the rough spots with reverb. He apparently considers Monty's singing bad enough that he's applying enough reverb you can't understand what Monty is singing.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Shun the Pretender Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

STOP THIS! YOU'RE PLAYING GOD!

Ballard Street

Ballard dogs look a lot more natural upside down.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set knows what the ladies like.

Working Daze actually abandons the grandma joke before the end of the week! Is that legal?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zereth posted:

The old man is smoothing out the rough spots with reverb. He apparently considers Monty's singing bad enough that he's applying enough reverb you can't understand what Monty is singing.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant what the hell at all three other comics not even trying to have punchlines; Monty is fine.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

Is that a goblin?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Wait, didn't he just do a strip glorifying the manchild life where his Mom dotes on him? Also, forgot the joke.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Smets posted:

Is that a goblin?

Assuming you mean the guy in the lower-right, that's Sal. His jokes are that:
  • He is old.
  • He has terrible people skills, so he works in customer support.

Thus is comedy achieved.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (November 25, 1927)

Peanuts tackles the escalation of school violence. (January 26, 1968)

THE DAZZLING, SEIZURE-INDUCING DICK TRACY-FUNKY WINKERBEAN CROSSOVER!

So. Holly just won a cache of Golden Age comics. The bid from Chester that we saw--remember, he's the geek in the mansion--was $50,000, and she beat that, and presumably whatever else he threw down, without the excuse of Her Soldier Son. How much money does Montoni's (a struggling business in a fading part of town) pull in so that she can just sling around like that?

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 30-July 1, 1926)

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Mistakes.

Fake edit: This one is begging for a Scott Meets Family Circus, but I guess that ship sailed long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Green Intern posted:

Gunther never left home, and was actually in a coma for a couple of months. This is his coma-dream.

There is no one in this strip that I want Gunther to find in his shower.

It'll be his mom, won't it :gonk:

• Locked thread