Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Macaluso posted:

I'm totally down with stage hazards, but Ridley and Yellow Devil are TOO intrusive. As someone who wouldn't really be okay with a lot of stage hazards going away, those two aren't really fun of anyone. Do even casual party players like the Yellow Devil?

If Ridley worked more like Metalface, where he flew in and hosed poo poo up for a brief time then left instead of becoming a teammate, that'd be awesome

Yeah, those two should be a once in a great while sort of deal instead of an "all the loving time" kind of thing. I don't remember Metal Gear Rex bursting through the wall every 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Aren't those two stages kinda flat to begin with so their Omega versions are pretty much what you want?

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Szmitten posted:

Aren't those two stages kinda flat to begin with so their Omega versions are pretty much what you want?
A lot of stages can really only boast an ascetic or soundtrack because they lack anything else unique to them; besides the Yellow Devil the only thing that separates Wily Castle from its omega form is the Megaman 2-esque rails that pop up on occasion.

Edit: I miss Shadow Moses Island.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The platforms make Wily's Castle cool but the Yellow Devil won't go or stay away. Pyrosphere seems kind of exceptionally large anyways so I think it would be better for four-player but getting rid of Ridley on that large stage would mean you could have a fair fight once in a while. On the 3DS the Flying Man needs to pick a home or a grave and stay there, because he's a nuisance. Nabbit is a speed bump in that Mario stage even though people politely agree to dispatch him it'd be easier to just do so through a stage setting. It seems to be all the character-style stage hazards which are the ones who are the most intrusive compared to environmental stuff like Halberd or Norfair, which are fine.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
All the more evidence that Gamer is, in fact, the best stage in the game.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Omega Gamer with the ambient noise soundtrack is the most disquieting fight in the game

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I really wish Omega stages removed hazards but not platforms, or that that was a third function, or something.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Macaluso posted:

If Ridley worked more like Metalface, where he flew in and hosed poo poo up for a brief time then left instead of becoming a teammate, that'd be awesome

Ridley should also be capable of speech much like Metalface and constantly taunt players when he appears on stage.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ridley should always refer to Samus as "birdbrain".

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Ridley should also be capable of speech much like Metalface and constantly taunt players when he appears on stage.

I'm pretty sure Other M was enough evidence that NOBODY from Metroid should talk...

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Dodgeball posted:

I'm pretty sure Other M was enough evidence that NOBODY from Metroid should talk...

"The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace." :colbert:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i like to use nosferatu on nabbit

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Wild Knight posted:

I dunno, I've never actually tried to have a normal Smash fight on Pyrosphere. Whenever it comes up with me and my friend, we're always like okay, truce - let's team up and beat Ridley's rear end as long as he's on screen. That makes it a lot more bearable than just trying to have a normal fight and getting annoyed when Ridley interrupts.

Sure, that makes it totally unsuitable for when you do just wanna smash each other, but just take it out of the random stage picker and only ever go to it if you feel like doing a boss-fight-type thing instead. You may never feel like that, and that's cool too. :v:

That said I would also enjoy an Alpha mode that just got rid of the hazards. All-Star on 3DS (I don't think it does on Wii U) actually does that, so the programming's there in some capacity.

What really pisses me off is that they even altered the 3DS version so the Yellow Devil wouldnt appear as often in online battles, but in the WiiU version they just make him appear even more frequently.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

sharrrk posted:

i like to use nosferatu on nabbit

Do you actually get health back?

Also give me Meta Knight tips I want to play meta knight but not sure where to begin due to him apparently being nerfed. No I don't care if he's bad I want to be batball

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also give me Meta Knight tips I want to play meta knight but not sure where to begin due to him apparently being nerfed. No I don't care if he's bad I want to be batball

Yes

Meta Knight tip: Up air -> up air -> up air-> up B kill

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

yeah, and unlike a human player he doesn't struggle at all so you'll get a bunch back everytime

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sharrrk posted:

yeah, and unlike a human player he doesn't struggle at all so you'll get a bunch back everytime

That explains why robins act weird on that stage.

Also a picture of that one time i actually beat you, sharrrk.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I just found out you can go Mr. Game & Watch: Down Throw into 9 Hammer.

I learned the hard way.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

El Diabolico posted:

That explains why robins act weird on that stage.

Also a picture of that one time i actually beat you, sharrrk.

There is no greater pleasure in life than landing that loving tree.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Pretty sure landing Ganon's uptilt is the most satisfying move in Smash actually.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

RyokoTK posted:

Pretty sure landing Ganon's uptilt is the most satisfying move in Smash actually.

I wouldn't know. :smith:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Suspicious Cook posted:

"The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace." :colbert:

You win this round, Cook... :argh:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

codenameFANGIO posted:

There is no greater pleasure in life than landing that loving tree.

There is. It is playing against another villager and constantly playing a game of catch with the tree until one loses.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
Hey guys, thought I'd check to see if anyone wants to play online. I'm a long time smasher but never got too technical or competitive so I'd say my skill level is pretty average. I like to play with Link, Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong, and G&W. My NNID is the same as my SA username.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.

RyokoTK posted:

The most satisfying thing is landing an uptilt that causes a shield break, then killing with a cross up jump -> turn around warlock punch.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
for me, the most satisfying kill is a shield break on a ledge and watching the person slowly fall straight down to their death

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Bowsers down b causing a shield break into a fully charged forward smash.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Anidav posted:

Bowsers down b causing a shield break into a fully charged forward smash.

i've done this a couple times on the 3DS version, and when I go to do a forward smash i just do an f-tilt instead and I look really silly because I taunted beforehand. Thankfully, in both instances, I still won, but it would have been embarrassing if I didn't

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Treebeh posted:

Hey guys, thought I'd check to see if anyone wants to play online. I'm a long time smasher but never got too technical or competitive so I'd say my skill level is pretty average. I like to play with Link, Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong, and G&W. My NNID is the same as my SA username.
I'll add you. I get on every day and I'm pretty much down for any match. My NNID is Zuquaz. I should be online later tonight if you wanna play.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SilverSupernova posted:

There is. It is playing against another villager and constantly playing a game of catch with the tree until one loses.

Of the tree juggling acts, my favourite is baiting some smartass Fox into reflecting it so you can pocket it and destroy him with it.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Do people care about win/loss for some reason? After playing like 6 people in a row who quit after one match, it gets pretty, you know, what the hell?

Also Samus is pretty good but her roll still sucks mega dick.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Whatev posted:

Do people care about win/loss for some reason? After playing like 6 people in a row who quit after one match, it gets pretty, you know, what the hell?

I lose a lot so no. I also change my dude every match and don't stick with one throughout.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Whatev posted:

i sometimes play one or two for glory match before someone i know is ready to play, dont take it personal

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
what the hell, I haven't played Smash Bros in well over a week, and when I tried to play online tonight it said that I had disconnected from the last match and couldn't play

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I was in a fire emblem mood but didn't feel like playing as my usual ike so instead I poked around with marth because even since melee I haven't played him much.

Goddamn his tippers in this game are really good like wow. I killed someone from near center stage with a forward smash when they were at about 40%. it's crazy. shield breaker actually breaks shields this time around too so it's super easy to set up strong tipper attacks.

it's kind of filthy really

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Are you able to get multiple golden hammers to clear challenges or is it you get 5 and you may only use 5 golden hammers?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Marth is probably the second best Fire Emblem character just because of how strong that tipper is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I was in a fire emblem mood but didn't feel like playing as my usual ike so instead I poked around with marth because even since melee I haven't played him much.

Goddamn his tippers in this game are really good like wow. I killed someone from near center stage with a forward smash when they were at about 40%. it's crazy. shield breaker actually breaks shields this time around too so it's super easy to set up strong tipper attacks.

Yeah tippers sure are nice aren't they :negative:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

Yes but they also changed the range on all of the tippers so it's really annoying to readjust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Whatev posted:

It might be related to playing Samus though, every Samus player I've seen online has been a try-hard.

• Locked thread