Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

no is there some secret protip here

Don't use olive oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

krispykremessuck posted:

oh yeah and I wouldn't bother trying to do it in your oven w/ olive oil since it has a relatively low smoke point. you need that bitch to get real good and hot, well past the smoke point, and if you value your apartment/house/kitchen whatever you're not going to want to produce as much smoke as that will

i tried to reseason my lodge cast iron skillet in my oven and the poo poo won't work....even followed the websites instructions on reseasoning and did it like 4 times. i must b retarded

https://www.lodgemfg.com/use-and-care/seasoned-cast-iron-use-and-care.asp

no access to a grill and doing anything on super hot temps results in excessive smoking!!!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

justice4trayvawn posted:

i tried to reseason my lodge cast iron skillet in my oven and the poo poo won't work....even followed the websites instructions on reseasoning and did it like 4 times. i must b retarded

no access to a grill and doing anything on super hot temps results in excessive smoking!!!

unfortunately it won't season right if you don't get it hot enough to smoke. some chemical reaction that some supernerd could probably tell you the name of... polymerization maybe? idk basically you're turning the oil into a permanent plastic-like coating which requires not-quite-burning it. unfortunately most ovens aren't going to be able to get it up to the probably like 600-650 degrees necessary. I just do my poo poo outside or in a deep fryer #yolo

bengy81
May 8, 2010

justice4trayvawn posted:

I haven't had much luck seasoning stuff like they suggest either. I do it the long way I guess.
Anytime I have had to redo seasoning I do a light coat and put it on the stove on high heat for a few minutes, just long enough to get water to sizzle out of you sprinkle some in. Then I take it off of the heat, rub the pan with a paper towel to get any puddles out and let it cool down. Then the next few times I use it I use cooking spray or shortening to keep stuff from sticking. After a few times it usually has a decent non stick coating.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i'm taking notes here.

what's wrong with olive oil? i use regular olive oil for cooking steaks at 500F/broil and it holds up fine.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
why you need to season your skillet? be like me and just use it to cook bloody steaks

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

krispykremessuck posted:

unfortunately it won't season right if you don't get it hot enough to smoke. some chemical reaction that some supernerd could probably tell you the name of... polymerization maybe? idk basically you're turning the oil into a permanent plastic-like coating which requires not-quite-burning it. unfortunately most ovens aren't going to be able to get it up to the probably like 600-650 degrees necessary. I just do my poo poo outside or in a deep fryer #yolo

yeah, 400 doesn't do dick......sure it makes it look shiny but the first time i wash it after cooking (water only of course) it dries into a pile of rust again somehow

i'm taking notes here.

what's wrong with olive oil? i use regular olive oil for cooking steaks at 500F/broil and it holds up fine.

low rear end smoke point, i'm surprised your fire alarm doesnt go cray cray

i use coconut oil if i'm going up to broil temps (one type has a high smoke point)

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

why you need to season your skillet? be like me and just use it to cook bloody steaks

cast iron rusts without protective coating

a lot

lot
lot

also helps to keep poo poo from sticking to it!!

justice4trayvawn fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 23, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

i'm taking notes here.

I coated mine with Crisco and it seasoned fine.
It did take a few heavy uses to get that nice black coating though. It started out just brown.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

cool name

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I just realized I was talking about cast iron cookware procedures in the drunk thread. Shame on me, take another drink.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Stultus Maximus posted:

I just realized I was talking about cast iron cookware procedures in the drunk thread. Shame on me, take another drink.

i been sober all week bc i have surgery tomorrow!!!!

apparently i broke my nose some time in the last 25 years

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

justice4trayvawn posted:

Man. When I had surgery they only told me I couldn't have food or drink from midnight on the day of the procedure. So I was out drinking until 11:59.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
good luck mokes

hope you have an anesthetic allergy :)

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

justice4trayvawn posted:

all that rough fellatio most likely

Give us your room number, we'll send flowers

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

good luck mokes

hope you have an anesthetic allergy :)

lol

enjoy being an obese barback forever <3

beanieson posted:

all that rough fellatio most likely

Give us your room number, we'll send flowers

420!!!!!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

justice4trayvawn posted:

lol

enjoy being an obese barback forever <3

420!!!!!

bro hes gonna get mauled to death by a cougar on the appalachian trail. that or some hillfolks goin all deliverance on him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRxUbv90lLI

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

the gently caress you doing being ashamed talking about iron cookware

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
best case scenario I fall off a cliff face. worst case scenario, I survive, travel to all of your homes individually, and torment you with a slideshow backed by monotone speaking patterns.

but in all seriousness, we'll be fine on the trail

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

best case scenario I fall off a cliff face. worst case scenario, I survive, travel to all of your homes individually, and torment you with a slideshow backed by monotone speaking patterns.

DO YOU SEE

DO YOU SEE

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Quoting this for when you both die unheroically.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCGoA-dZBzo

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
putting that poo poo on my playlist, repeat, all day erry day

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

no is there some secret protip here

Lard, lots of lard. Stick it in your pan, then put it under the broiler and walk away. If your poo poo's already pre-seasoned and you're getting food to stick left and right, stop cooking like a fuckin caveman and use a proper heat setting. If you need to scrub that bitch and start from scratch, use a wadded ball of tinfoil to get the top coat off, don't gently caress with it beyond that - you aren't trying to take bluing off a bolt assy.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
My mom recently gave me my great grandmother's cast iron skillet. It's around 100 years old and is seasoned so noice.

Tearsaslube
Jan 5, 2015

by XyloJW
Is there a country for prostitutes for doctor play? Im looking for cold hand, rubber gloves, and no eye contact. While she makes a disgusted face and writes stuff down.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Tearsaslube posted:

Is there a country for prostitutes for doctor play? Im looking for cold hand, rubber gloves, and no eye contact. While she makes a disgusted face and writes stuff down.

japan would be a good place to start

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
Straight Rye whisky loving owns.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

USMC503 posted:

Straight Rye whisky loving owns.

This is a man who knows what he's talking about.

Got any recommendations? I'm partial to Wild Turkey Rye.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfT4j6ED3Lo

I like Bulleit rye. Also had some Alberta Premium a while back (which was fantastic imo) but I have no clue where to get it in the US.

Additionally, my roommate has been on a Manhattan kick and has been using Rittenhouse Bottled-in-Bond. Haven't tried it on its own yet, but A++ would Manhattan again

edit re Alberta Premium: "Although blurred out for copyright reasons, the distinctive bottle (and some parts of the label uncensored) can be seen in the Trailer Park Boys series as Jim Lahey's (John Dunsworth) brand of choice."

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 23, 2015

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
I also am a fan of wild turkey rye. Not a terribly big fan of bulleit though.

My brother, knowing nothing about whiskey, took a shot in the dark and bought me a bottle of Sazerac rye for Christmas and this poo poo is pretty drat good.

E: it's pretty bad when your phone autocorrects shot into poo poo.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
gently caress it, getting drunk soon. Life owns.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Rough Lobster posted:

This is a man who knows what he's talking about.

Got any recommendations? I'm partial to Wild Turkey Rye.

Rittenhouse is my preference. Templeton is crap, do not buy.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

My mom recently gave me my great grandmother's cast iron skillet. It's around 100 years old and is seasoned so noice.

They literally don't make them like they used to. My parents' cast iron sets (probably inherited from their parents) are so much nicer than Lodge because back then they used to machine them smooth.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
it's not that they were machined smooth, it's that they've been used so much more in the past than we use them now. people used to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner for the same day out of those pans so they didn't have time to sit and rust in the cabinet because we're all a bunch of mcdonalds eating fatties.

seriously, great-grams probably cooked in that thing at least once a day

also I'm pretty sure the methods of making cast iron pans are significantly better today than when your great-grams bought her pan.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

it's not that they were machined smooth, it's that they've been used so much more in the past than we use them now. people used to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner for the same day out of those pans so they didn't have time to sit and rust in the cabinet because we're all a bunch of mcdonalds eating fatties.

seriously, great-grams probably cooked in that thing at least once a day

also I'm pretty sure the methods of making cast iron pans are significantly better today than when your great-grams bought her pan.

Nope.

quote:

Take a close look at the cooking surface of this new skillet. It's rough. Apparently, long ago, there were two grades of a cast iron skillet one could purchase. The first is where molten iron is poured into a mold and that's it. The second is where they take the first and machine out the cooking surface to make it much smoother. But that machining process usually doubles the price.

Today's new cast iron cookware is all the first kind. The surface is rough.

Old cast iron and new cast iron are very different beasts.

If discussing skillets, the two characteristics of a pre WW2 pan that first grab your attention are:

They are lighter in weight. The walls and bottom are thinner than a modern Lodge skillet.
They have a much smoother interior surface.
The lighter weight means you cook at lower temperature settings on the stove. The smoother surface is a result of the superb iron ore that was found near Lake Erie and also the machining that is no longer done to save on labor expense.

On the left is a Lodge 8SK 10.5" skillet. On the right is a Favorite Piqua Ware skillet of the same size. The Lodge is probably 16 years old while the Favorite is at least 74 years old.
Griswolds, Wagners, Wapaks, (and probably others) offered similar quality. Old Lodges were very smooth as well.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Really? Cast iron pan chat?

I swear you guys could find a way to make bareback sex with Katy Perry gay

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I'm the pothead teenager that scratched the poo poo out of the sign trying to steal the name plate

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Booblord Zagats posted:

Really? Cast iron pan chat?

I swear you guys could find a way to make bareback sex with Katy Perry gay

Food is gay now you guys.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

beanieson posted:

Food is gay now you guys.

Nothing gayer than heavy iron tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU