Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Whizbang posted:

There isn't a safe Lollipop yet, it's poo poo all the way up.
This is exactly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

This is exactly wrong.

You can keep posting "well shucks guys my phone works" all you want, it doesn't mean a massive amount of people aren't having problems that Google hasn't fixed until at least 5.03 which doesn't exist yet.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Whizbang posted:

You can keep posting "well shucks guys my phone works" all you want, it doesn't mean a massive amount of people aren't having problems that Google hasn't fixed until at least 5.03 which doesn't exist yet.

I wonder if people are more likely to post about it when they have a problem or when things are working fine.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, lollipop already poo poo up my tablet so I'm not in a hurry to screw up the phone, too.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

RVProfootballer posted:

I wonder if people are more likely to post about it when they have a problem or when things are working fine.

Regardless of how many people aren't having problems, many people are having problems. I think reticence is justified in this case.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Whizbang posted:

You can keep posting "well shucks guys my phone doesn't work" all you want, it doesn't mean a massive amount of people are having zero problems

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Here's my post: Maybe don't update to lollipop if every other person is having major issues and you're not able to rollback to kitkat.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hace posted:

Here's my post: Maybe don't update to lollipop if every other person is having major issues and you're not able to rollback to kitkat.

Or maybe update since it's a tiny vocal minority having issues.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Reverse Centaur posted:

Or maybe update since it's a tiny vocal minority having issues.

Have you seen the Google bug report? It isn't a tiny number of people, and I know I've seen enough separate people on this forum having issues that I'd be leery of updating.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

nerve posted:

You can keep posting "well shucks guys my phone doesn't work" all you want, it doesn't mean a massive amount of people are having zero problems

See, here Is The Thing, they aren't equivalent. It working is the assumed default, the expected outcome. "But plenty of people have no complaints" okay great but that information is meaningless?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's perfectly fine to not take the update, several flagship phones have not even begun their lollipop rollout yet.

Just know that once your phone has received an OTA push, it's going to be annoying about wanting to apply it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Deep Winter posted:

See, here Is The Thing, they aren't equivalent. It working is the assumed default, the expected outcome. "But plenty of people have complaints" okay great but that information is meaningless?

Exactly. Every update ever in the history of everything has had people complain about something. Requiring 0 hits on "update [x] bugs" before you update just means you'd never update anything.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Some UI annoyances aside for me:
5.0.1 on the N4 = fine
5.0.2 on the N7 (2013) = fantastic

Apparently the .0.2 release wasn't supposed to fix the memory issues, but I can say my own tablet is behaving much better than .0.1 and at least as good as any other release I've had on it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hace posted:

It's a Nexus, rolling back takes like five minutes.

dissss posted:

Some UI annoyances aside for me:
5.0.1 on the N4 = fine
5.0.2 on the N7 (2013) = fantastic

Apparently the .0.2 release wasn't supposed to fix the memory issues, but I can say my own tablet is behaving much better than .0.1 and at least as good as any other release I've had on it
This is exactly my experience except add the N5 and 2013 Moto G to the list as well.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh. Just checked what version I'm running. Guess the update I got was 5.0.2 hooray.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Common sense would suggest you decline any update that came out before Google fixed the memory leak, mostly if you're on a carrier/not using a Nexus.

That's 5.0 and 5.0.1. They've been silent since updating the bug reporting page, which leads me to believe they're working with carriers for widespread deployment. That could be optimism speaking though.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I've been running a custom rom (AIKP) which is still in beta. But I've had faaar less issues with it than I did with stock lollipop, it looks like they're at least trying to fix some of the issues.

Of course that could be due to me installing the nightlies every day or two so my phone is getting restarted a lot :v:

baka kaba posted:

Anyone getting weird charging rates on the Pops? My N5 has been showing some wacky times, like 4hrs remaining at 50%, not charging at all if I'm using it (at minimum brightness). Today it was at 85% left idle, said 1 hour remaining, I turned it off for 20 mins and it was at 100% when I turned it back on.

I'd understand if there were some app causing massive power drain while the phone's on but there isn't, idle drain is basically nothing and it's normal when I use it too. It just doesn't want to charge! There's a bunch of people seeing this too, some only on wired or wireless charging, only while the phone is on. Bizarre

Yeah I've noticed this, a few times I've looked at my battery meter and have seen jumps on the graph even though it wasn't plugged in :shrug:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

No issues here with my Nexus 6 on 5.0.1

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

robodex posted:

Yeah I've noticed this, a few times I've looked at my battery meter and have seen jumps on the graph even though it wasn't plugged in :shrug:

Nah it's not that, it behaves completely normally except it charges incredibly slowly. It's like it thinks it's plugged into half a USB port or something. The drain while using it or idle is what you'd expect - it just doesn't suck in the juice unless you turn it off, and then it charges at the usual 1% every 90 seconds or whatever

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MarsellusWallace posted:

Z3 Compact
Battery life is ridiculous. I'm getting 2-3 days out of it, I routinely killed my Nexus 4 in one day with the same usage. magnetic charger is neat. Camera is fantastic, and works great underwater.
Only downside is that it's a bit smaller than the Nexus 4 and... I guess the phone speaker could be louder? Flashlight isn't as bright as some phones? You've really got to stretch to find downsides, if you like the size.

iPhone 6: Similar size to your N5. It's an iPhone, with all that entails, good and bad.

Honorable Mention: Moto G. Seriously. Picked this up as a 'why not' since it was $25 off contract if you get it while opening a new Cricket account (as an aside, I'm liking cricket far better than AT&T, if only for the improved customer service). It's not as good as a Z3 compact. The camera is awful and it's a little chunky, but that seems to improve the ergonomics a bit. I simply cannot understand how this is 3 to 4 times less expensive than an S5 or similar flagship device. Even the buttons feel nice. No bloatware. Works flawlessly with 60GB of music. Somehow gets better cell reception than either the Z3 Compact or the Galaxy S5. Speakers are quite loud at max volume.

Does anyone have a recommended replacement battery brand? I'm giving my (tech-savvy) dad my old Nexus 4 and the battery just isn't what it used to be. It's more than 2 years old at this point, so I figure a decent battery replacement is in order before handing it off.

$80 for a Moto G, may consider this for a throw-around/media phone. ($25 + 2x $35/mo - $10 autopay, not taking into consideration referral perks)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Common sense would suggest you decline any update that came out before Google fixed the memory leak, mostly if you're on a carrier/not using a Nexus.

That's 5.0 and 5.0.1. They've been silent since updating the bug reporting page, which leads me to believe they're working with carriers for widespread deployment. That could be optimism speaking though.

Depends. Just because something is 5.0 or 5.0.1 from an OEM doesn't mean they didn't roll some further enhancements into the ROM. Motorola has done this frequently, backporting updates from later versions of Android to earlier ones.

It also depends where the fix is. If it's part of the kernel, it's possible it may not be an issue on other devices or got caught and fixed.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

baka kaba posted:

Nah it's not that, it behaves completely normally except it charges incredibly slowly. It's like it thinks it's plugged into half a USB port or something. The drain while using it or idle is what you'd expect - it just doesn't suck in the juice unless you turn it off, and then it charges at the usual 1% every 90 seconds or whatever

Dumb question but have you tried another charger? I had the exact same issue until I realized it was just the cable I was using.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Not yet, it's the one that came with the phone - but it's fine when it's off, and it was fine before! And there's a bunch of other people on the internets complaining about seeing it since updating, I smell a mystery

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The camera in the Nexus 4 is, as you know, complete garbage. The camera is an important feature to me (this is why I'm coming from the Nokia 1020). Also 16gb of storage might be enough for a Sega Genesis or something but not for me. Rooted with 5.0.2 though its quick and responsive (likely just by comparison as a result of coming from WP). I'm thinking about the OPO, $350 isn't a big investment. Is there anything else out there at a similar price point that should be on my radar? Obviously not Samsung, HTC, etc, something more common you hear about all the time.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

codo27 posted:

The camera in the Nexus 4 is, as you know, complete garbage. The camera is an important feature to me (this is why I'm coming from the Nokia 1020). Also 16gb of storage might be enough for a Sega Genesis or something but not for me. Rooted with 5.0.2 though its quick and responsive (likely just by comparison as a result of coming from WP). I'm thinking about the OPO, $350 isn't a big investment. Is there anything else out there at a similar price point that should be on my radar? Obviously not Samsung, HTC, etc, something more common you hear about all the time.

An LG G3 used might be in the same price point. If camera is important to you, Note 4 blows anything else out of the water. It is a complete camera in all conditions. You may want to get a used phone and then upgrade after the S6 comes out to another used version.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

5436 posted:

An LG G3 used might be in the same price point. If camera is important to you, Note 4 blows anything else out of the water. It is a complete camera in all conditions. You may want to get a used phone and then upgrade after the S6 comes out to another used version.

I know I just said I'm thinking about the OPO but the Note is just way too big. Honestly that's another thing about the N4, its pretty much perfect in my hand, especially with the rounded rubber edges. I got a T5i recently, but I just want something that will take more reasonable photos on the go.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

codo27 posted:

A $350 OPO is 16 GB, isn't it? Are you a Sega Genesis?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Sega Genesis posted:

A $350 OPO is 16 GB, isn't it? Are you a Sega Genesis?

It's 64GB at $350. Either way he shouldn't get one.

If you care about good photos enough to the point of getting a 1020 your options are basically a Note 4 or an iPhone 5s/6.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

codo27 posted:

I know I just said I'm thinking about the OPO but the Note is just way too big. Honestly that's another thing about the N4, its pretty much perfect in my hand, especially with the rounded rubber edges. I got a T5i recently, but I just want something that will take more reasonable photos on the go.

The S6 will have an identical, maybe slightly better camera experience than the Note. LG seems to be investing in camera experience as well, so the G4 will be in the similar ballpark. My opinion is cameras either just work or don't. Very few Android companies have made a good camera experience that just works. Even if you get it to work 90% of the time its a bad experience. You need it to work near 100% of the time and take great photos in all conditions. It's really hard to get an idea of the camera without just using it a lot, test shots online can be very misleading.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

At least I can open the app when the battery is below 15% now, or whatever it used to be

I have an old S3 that needs a new LCD but I don't really want to spend almost $100 on that

codo27 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 23, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
https://twitter.com/LGUSAMobile/status/558700881592320001

Lollipop on the US G3 is coming "soon". "Really Soon"

Ugh, what a loving annoying tease, we knew it was coming, it's already rolling out world wide, the US carriers are being dicks about it as always, what's the point of teasing if you aren't going to give a date? Obviously you started releasing builds to the carriers months ago, either it's done and carrier approved and you have a date or it is in carrier purgatory for god knows how long.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

codo27 posted:

I know I just said I'm thinking about the OPO but the Note is just way too big.

The Galaxy Note 4 and One Plus One are virtually the same size.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4,OnePlus-One/phones/8577,8603

You know things are bad when people are telling you to buy the Samsung instead.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 23, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Any Z3C owners having issues with their flap covering the SD Card / USB? Out of nowhere mine is now springing open and the memory card ejecting when I pull it out of my pocket or gently drop it on a surface. I'm not being rough with it, regular movement/use and such. I had a feeling that this flap would be an issue at some point, just doesn't seem like something that would stay solid.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/LGUSAMobile/status/558700881592320001

Lollipop on the US G3 is coming "soon". "Really Soon"

Ugh, what a loving annoying tease, we knew it was coming, it's already rolling out world wide, the US carriers are being dicks about it as always, what's the point of teasing if you aren't going to give a date? Obviously you started releasing builds to the carriers months ago, either it's done and carrier approved and you have a date or it is in carrier purgatory for god knows how long.

Carriers have been better as of late about getting poo poo pushed through. My guess is theres some bullshit causing devices being "updated" having issues. Im sure clean installs are fine but that whole "user experience" thing actually matters to normal non goon folks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

TraderStav posted:

Any Z3C owners having issues with their flap covering the SD Card / USB? Out of nowhere mine is now springing open and the memory card ejecting when I pull it out of my pocket or gently drop it on a surface. I'm not being rough with it, regular movement/use and such. I had a feeling that this flap would be an issue at some point, just doesn't seem like something that would stay solid.

No problems with me here, though I have a magnetic charging cable and I think I've opened the memory card slot once.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

No problems with me here, though I have a magnetic charging cable and I think I've opened the memory card slot once.

Seems like the culprit is that the memory card is somehow ejecting and pushing the slot open.

I use the magnetic also except when I either need a faster charge or in a place where the cable detaches easily (which is nearly all the time except when sleeping or in the car)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Apologies if this has been asked, but I couldn't find anything using the new forum search or on google using a "site:somethingawful.com" filter:

I want to disable the voicemail notification completely. I don't use voicemail, the only things that get to voicemail are spam telemarketer calls, and I want it gone completely. This was exacerbated when I upgraded to 5.01 and now that cheeky voicemail notification is there on my lockscreen now every time I access the phone.

Googling all I can find is people who want to clear the notification because they've already checked their voicemail and it's still sticking around for some reason, but I can't seem to find anything about disabling it completely. The majority are about disabling a specific provider's bundled visual voicemail app (e.g. Sprint, T-Mobile etc.). I can't get the carrier to disable voicemail because I'm on a grandfathered plan that cannot be modified in any way or else I'll lose my pricing (Yes, I'm in Canada).

Specs:
Nexus 4
Android 5.0.1 (unrooted)
Carrier: Mobilicity (in Canada if that matters)

When I longpress on the notification, it tells me it's coming from 'Phone', and when I press the little 'i' to access notification settings it tells me that 'Show notification at the top of the list and keep them coming when the device is set to priority interruptions only' is already disabled.

I've looked in Settings > Sound & notification > App notifications, but there's no entry for 'Phone' or 'Voicemail' or anything like that I can identify.
I've also tried going into Phone > Settings > Call Settings > Voicemail Settings and changing the Service to nobody, but the only choice is 'your carrier', and I can't get rid it. I also tried to delete the voicemail number entirely from Setup but it won't let me change it.
I've also tried going into Phone > Settings > Call Settings > Call forwarding settings and disable forwarding to voicemail When busy, When unanswered, and When unreachable, but it also won't let me change it ('Your operator doesn't support disabling call forwarding when your phone doesn't answer').

Any ideas? I can't believe that it's impossible, and I don't want to disable all notifications to lockscreen, just this specific one. I'd also love it if I could get rid of that little tape loop notification in the top left that's always there.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can't be done without root. The actual answer is "get your carrier to disable voicemail", sorry.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Would it not be possible to switch to Google Voice for your voicemail or is that not available in Canada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Would it not be possible to switch to Google Voice for your voicemail or is that not available in Canada?

It's not.