Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
##Vote A: Support the Republic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

TheMcD posted:

Well, there was that one part where one group (myself included) basically poo poo themselves trying desparately to submit ourselves to a technologically superior power because the only way that country learns something is if you force it to, and then that blew up too. Flamboyant Schemers is loving weird, man.

Has there been a big Paradox LP where things went Communist for the player nation? I can't recall one - though that might be because most die off before they get to Vicky, let alone the HOI phase.

I remember that. I voted for independence the whole way through, then exiled myself to the glorious realm of the Burma-Pope in protest :colbert:

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Readingaccount posted:

If anyone is still in doubt he'll either lead us to glory or communism.

Ever since Hohenzollern all the high profile Paradox Mega LPs have been grindingly PC when possible thanks to the bloody tolerators. This however will actually be a fairly liberal monarchy, given Byzantium's long history, like when Swiss Hitler took over in Thanqol's LP over at giantitp. He barely genocided anyone at all! (Parts of mega-Lithuania suffered famile on purpose) and the world became free for Deregulation!

This byzantine republic as it currently stands is pretty nasty, like.

It's very tolerant towards it's own citizens, yes. But will mow them down in the drop of the hat at the first mention of independence and declares war on it's neighbours about once a month.

If we bring a king in what will change? It's already aggressive and expanionist and willing to chop down rebels at the drop of a hat.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

But you know what guys? I kinda want to lose the civil war.

Glenn Zimmerman
Apr 9, 2009
Do I vote monarchy for a revolution for more hiratines later or have a civil war to have my hiratines now...?

I can't resist.

Additionally, are the images breaking tables for anyone else or is 1280x800 just a dinosaur times resolution?

-

You are terrible.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

TheMcD posted:

Well, there was that one part where one group (myself included) basically poo poo themselves trying desparately to submit ourselves to a technologically superior power because the only way that country learns something is if you force it to, and then that blew up too. Flamboyant Schemers is loving weird, man.

Has there been a big Paradox LP where things went Communist for the player nation? I can't recall one - though that might be because most die off before they get to Vicky, let alone the HOI phase.

You know, after the fact, I realized that we should have A.) Submit ourselves to Burma-Pope instead of the Caliphate, and B.) Voted for Burmese Catholicism to win arguments in the grand ecumenical council.

Burma-Pope forever and ever. He is my only regret about that LP. If Flamboyant Schemers ever makes it to V2, it will be my goal to preserve him.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 23, 2015

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

##Vote B: Support Kaisarios

I need this. RE: the whole "we've been down the maximum hitler path before", every time that's happened it's generally speaking because generally there's a desire to just keep doing what we've been doing, so I always like to vote for the options that dramatically change course.

Also...

Chief Savage Man posted:

##Vote B: A New Emperor

This is how we end up communist, there is no other way.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Don't bring back thee monarchy please. :cripes:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
##Vote Death to voting!

Do you remember that the original office of "Emperor", established by Augustus (pbuh), was a title granted to Rome's most capable citizen, to lead them to safety and prosperity? It was not a dynastic title. Rome is a stranger to kings and should keep it that way.

There is nothing sacred in the Komnenoi blood.

What we Romans need, really need, is a return to the institutions that made us great. We need a dictator, but one chosen from the best of our citizenry, not the scion of some deposed aristocrats. We rule the twin birthplaces of the world's finest empire. It's time we assumed the mantle.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Always will I be grateful to the Komnenoi. Alexios and his scions brought the decaying Empire back from the brink of disaster. If it were not for their efforts, I have little doubt the Byzantine Republic would not exist today, for Rome would have been consumed by invaders centuries ago. With that noted:

Kaisarios shares nothing with his forebears but his name. He has been raised on that forsaken island on nothing but talk of revenge and loss. Even if one were prone to support a restoration, he is laughably unqualified to rule an Empire. No matter what your position, the Republic is the better choice here.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Do we not remember Rome's own history of political dynasties? Great men like.... Caligula, successor of Tiberius? Nero, successor of Claudius? Rome needs capable men and women, not their sons and daughters.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
##Vote A: Support the Civil WarRepublic

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dibujante posted:

Do we not remember Rome's own history of political dynasties? Great men like.... Caligula, successor of Tiberius? Nero, successor of Claudius? Rome needs capable men and women, not their sons and daughters.
Do we even know what Kaisario's claim is? Most likely, he is the heir of some... second-cousin of the last Komnenian Emperor. If that, if he isn't the heir of a pretender living in Rhodes who just decided who start using the name one day.

If one were inclined to support a restoration, and I am not saying I am, these questions would be important, would they not?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Cestrian posted:

This byzantine republic as it currently stands is pretty nasty, like.

It's very tolerant towards it's own citizens, yes. But will mow them down in the drop of the hat at the first mention of independence and declares war on it's neighbours about once a month.

If we bring a king in what will change? It's already aggressive and expanionist and willing to chop down rebels at the drop of a hat.

That's because we're playing Vicky 2 more than anything else.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Mostly because I think putting an Emperor back in power the moment things get difficult would fly in the face of the themes Rince has built up through her narrative, though since we've kicked off Deluge 2 Electric Boogaloo and her votes tend to be traps, I vote with the proviso that at the end of the day Rince should go with whatever's best for a) her narrative/what she happens to want to write and b) us not getting blasted into an unciv/completely annexed. :P

EDIT: I think it's fair to note to people voting that if we go republic and lose the civil war, apparently we will game over? I dunno, that's what Rince seems to've said.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 23, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

JT Jag posted:

Do we even know what Kaisario's claim is? Most likely, he is the heir of some... second-cousin of the last Komnenian Emperor. If that, if he isn't the heir of a pretender living in Rhodes who just decided who start using the name one day.

If one were inclined to support a restoration, and I am not saying I am, these questions would be important, would they not?

OOC, he's just a Komnenos because that was one of the Greek dynasty names in the EU4 ByzMod, and when Rhodes was released from Somalia it got a random ruler.

IC, I imagine the Rhodes Komnenoi are descended from some of the various Komnenos nobility scattered around the empire (and Europe in general) as CK2 went on. So ultimately descended from Alexios I, but branching off from the main line of emperors and empresses not too long after that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rincewind posted:

OOC, he's just a Komnenos because that was one of the Greek dynasty names in the EU4 ByzMod, and when Rhodes was released from Somalia it got a random ruler.

IC, I imagine the Rhodes Komnenoi are descended from some of the various Komnenos nobility scattered around the empire (and Europe in general) as CK2 went on. So ultimately descended from Alexios I, but branching off from the main line of emperors and empresses not too long after that.
Show us the birth certificate Kaisarios

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Üzüntü family's support of the Republic has only ever been cautious and guarded, and even that reluctant trust has been failed by our leaders. The republic has brought nothing but strife, and something must be done about it. We are unanimous in our support of the restored Empire.

Well, unanimous aside from Cousin Elif, of course, with all that nonsense those Republican War Academy propagandists are filling her young head with in Ankara. But she won't be a problem, surely.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

JT Jag posted:

What does his claim matter? Rome isn't ruled by claimaints, it is ruled by its best citizens.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

No monarchs or Demiurge, Only Byzantium!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dibujante posted:

What does his claim matter? Rome isn't ruled by claimaints, it is ruled by its best citizens.
Kaisarios isn't a citizen of Byzantium, as I'm sure you meant to say. He has lived in the pariah-island of Rhodes his whole life, as has his father and his father's father. He knows nothing of our ways, only of greed and desire to reclaim what he thinks is rightfully his. How can you possibly think he is one of our best citizens? You know nothing about him.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Kaisarios isn't a citizen of Byzantium, as I'm sure you meant to say. He has lived in the pariah-island of Rhodes his whole life, as has his father and his father's father. He knows nothing of our ways, only of greed and desire to reclaim what he thinks is rightfully his. How can you possibly think he is one of our best citizens? You know nothing about him.

I've been arguing this whole time that he is not one of our best citizens. Rome needs a strong hand; a strong Roman hand, whose credentials derive from their accomplishments and patriotism, not from their lineage.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dibujante posted:

I've been arguing this whole time that he is not one of our best citizens. Rome needs a strong hand; a strong Roman hand, whose credentials derive from their accomplishments and patriotism, not from their lineage.
The return of the dictatorship? That is an argument for a different time, friend, though a fascinating one. You won't get the time on the floor that you might deserve in this rather dire situation. The counter-argument I might make is that it is far too easy for a man with infinite power and great ability to believe it correct and just to pass the gains he has made on to his chosen successors, rather than the chosen executives of Rome. After all, that is how the Empire was created in the first place.

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Changing my vote.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

##A Support the Republic.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

In the coming civil war, let us hope that Kaisarios has half the mercy of Julius Caesar when dealing with the Senate. The army is weak and you will find no protection among the common people when Kaisarios marches into the City.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

In the coming civil war, let us hope that Kaisarios has half the mercy of Julius Caesar when dealing with the Senate. The army is weak and you will find no protection among the common people when Kaisarios marches into the City.

Kaisarios is not going to be a Caesar. Maybe, if we're very lucky, he will be a Claudius, or a Domitian. But are you prepared for a Caligula?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Dibujante posted:

Kaisarios is not going to be a Caesar. Maybe, if we're very lucky, he will be a Claudius, or a Domitian. But are you prepared for a Caligula?

CALIGULA DID NOTHING WRONG

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

CALIGULA DID NOTHING WRONG
Caligula was an rear end in a top hat. Nero was the one was slandered by history.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAusMcu513U

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

JT Jag posted:

Caligula was an rear end in a top hat. Nero was the one was slandered by history.

While Caligula might not have been the most popular of emperors, he at least wasn't afraid to step on the Senate's toes and had many of them assassinated. Sounds like the proper way to deal with upstart Senators to me. :colbert:

Besides, there have been worse. At least he wasn't Elagabalus or Maximinus Thrax.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

While Caligula might not have been the most popular of emperors, he at least wasn't afraid to step on the Senate's toes and had many of them assassinated. Sounds like the proper way to deal with upstart Senators to me. :colbert:

Besides, there have been worse. At least he wasn't Elagabalus or Maximinus Thrax.

Caligula is ranked right down there with Elagabalus.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Elagabalus' depiction in the Augustan History is one of the vilest slanders of an Emperor in all of history. Look up what Cassius Dio, an actual contemporary, wrote about him.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Yeah, true, Caligula is right down there with depictions of Elagabalus. He is most likely much farther down than real Elagabalus.

• Locked thread