Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There, now I have 1/144s of Exia, Victory and F91 (HGUC F91 is a fantastic choice for someone's first gunpla, by the way, everything fits together REALLY nicely), my next haul to continue the All Gundams All the Time shelf will probably be HG AGE-1, HG Aile Strike either HG RX-78, Build Strike Full Package or Ez8.

Progress shot:

From left to right (HGs unless specified): Build Burning, 00 Raiser, F91, Nu, Zeta, Exia RG, Alex, Wing, Victory, Crossbone X1.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I so want a MG Transient Gundam, but I do not expect that to happen. Was never impressed with 1/144 models a decade ago when I built a ton of gunpla.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
they're better now

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'd like to buy something wet. I'm currently wavering between RG Char's Z'Gok (pros: red, claws, same size as my other robots) and MG Acguy (pros: acguy, huge acguy, probably a bit easier as a step up from HGs), but I'm open to other suggestions. I won't be painting anything.

Any other suggestions?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Do the HGs after 00 get better at providing appropriately-coloured blades for their beam weapons? Because the only kit I've got so far with a proper transparent beam sabre is the GN-X. You would have thought it would be pretty straightforward for the Exia, Dynames, and Arche, too. Fortunately, they have enough weapon options that I can just ignore that stuff, but it is mildly annoying.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

chrisoya posted:

I'd like to buy something wet. I'm currently wavering between RG Char's Z'Gok (pros: red, claws, same size as my other robots) and MG Acguy (pros: acguy, huge acguy, probably a bit easier as a step up from HGs), but I'm open to other suggestions. I won't be painting anything.

Any other suggestions?

Acguy. Reason? Acguy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Darth Walrus posted:

Do the HGs after 00 get better at providing appropriately-coloured blades for their beam weapons? Because the only kit I've got so far with a proper transparent beam sabre is the GN-X. You would have thought it would be pretty straightforward for the Exia, Dynames, and Arche, too. Fortunately, they have enough weapon options that I can just ignore that stuff, but it is mildly annoying.

Yes, beam saber effect parts became standard after 00 S1.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Acguy. Reason? Acguy.

Yes! Also, check out all his poses on dalong's site. It's a fun kit. Extendable arms and legs, hip and shoulder sockets that pop out for more flexibility, several water effect parts, spring-loaded claws, action base and several small figures (pilot, diver, three kids from show) included.

E: the chest also opens up on a hinge to show the cockpit, which is really cool.

E2: and the propellers on the bottoms of the feet spin, too. :3:

Kibner fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 23, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Yes, beam saber effect parts became standard after 00 S1.

After S2, you mean? Because the Arche doesn't have them on its beam feet, for one.

I must say, though, looking at GIS, I am impressed by how they resolved the modelling nightmare of the Garazzo's weapons.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

MJP posted:

Ugh, I want to buy that but backlog :-(

If you want to buy my entire backlog of one kit, pm me and maybe we can work something out.

E: I'll take a picture when I get home.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Darth Walrus posted:

After S2, you mean? Because the Arche doesn't have them on its beam feet, for one.

I must say, though, looking at GIS, I am impressed by how they resolved the modelling nightmare of the Garazzo's weapons.

Arche does have its feet sabers. They are.clear white beams, kinda weird when they should of been red.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Tenzarin posted:

Arche does have its feet sabers. They are.clear white beams, kinda weird when they should of been red.

That's why he said 'appropriately-coloured beam sabers'.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think it was an issue with number of colours or clear colours in kits, with clear GN windows being a big part of the 00 design philosophy. Doesn't explain the GN-X and varients having plain clear chest gems and red sabers, maybe because the kit was at most 6 colours.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Reborns HG gets even weirder, since it has a good few clear parts, all of different colours...and the saber is clear when it's supposed to be orange.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They were too busy making trans am versions of all the suits to notice nothing sold well.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Tenzarin posted:

They were too busy making trans am versions of all the suits to notice nothing sold well.

This means it should be easy to find HG Virtue right??

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ka0 posted:

:stare: I'm Sumeragi, and I need a drink.

Also, yes. Virtue.

Also, BlitzBlast, I blame you for my Amazon front page looking like this:

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 24, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Warmachine posted:

:stare: I'm Sumeragi, and I need a drink.

Also, yes. Virtue.

Also, BlitzBlast, I blame you for my Amazon front page looking like this:

Combat-san is my favorite, but Pest-X-san gets a transforming bike and thats cool too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think my favorite part of that is that even though he's a loser otaku the main character is still a nice guy at heart, so even though in the end he doesn't get the girl, there's an opportunity for it in the future.

Like he didn't instantly overcome all his obvious failures, and she didn't just fell head over heels for him anyways, which would be a lame way to end it.

But it's still nice that he has something to look forward to after the endless misery that is the entire rest of the comic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

I've seen them popping up recently in my local hobby shops, so there's probably been a fresh print run. Also HG Virtue is a great kit and well worth picking up. The Seravee too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Was thinking about getting the master gundam HG to use the torso in a kitbash but the mold on it is way less dynamic on basically every other master gundam thing out there

speaking of, please let me know if you can think of any kits with knives aside from the grimoire and gm sniper k9

muike fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 24, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The Strike, the Impulse, the Crossbone, and I guess the AGE-FX and 00Q.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I should've thought of the Strike... I didn't think of Impulse at all though. Are they folding armor schneiders like on the strike or solid daggers?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

muike posted:

Was thinking about getting the master gundam HG to use the torso in a kitbash but the mold on it is way less dynamic on basically every other master gundam thing out there

speaking of, please let me know if you can think of any kits with knives aside from the grimoire and gm sniper k9

Destiny has the shoulder dagger things.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm looking for tacticool combat knives, not sick energy/clear crystal daggers, but these are all things I completely forgot about anyway.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
The Zee Zulu has these:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
dude that is so perfect thank you!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Huh, GundamGuy actually put a review of the Hi-Mock up a few days back and I missed it. I'm a bit sad it's a darker shade of green than the preview pics, but the drat thing's surprisingly really flexible. And, after a cursory look at the assembly instructions online, the best part is that almost all the sockets for accessories have polycap rings in them :allears:. The only ones that don't are the ones on the forearms and shins.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Huh, GundamGuy actually put a review of the Hi-Mock up a few days back and I missed it. I'm a bit sad it's a darker shade of green than the preview pics, but the drat thing's surprisingly really flexible. And, after a cursory look at the assembly instructions online, the best part is that almost all the sockets for accessories have polycap rings in them :allears:. The only ones that don't are the ones on the forearms and shins.

All those pictures :allears:

Destiny Hi-Mock, Hygogg Hi-Mock, Ez-SR Hi-Mock, Grimoire Hi-Mock!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm honestly impressed they stuffed the drat thing with so many polycaps, considering it's low price point. My only other disappointment with it is that the recessed belly hinge is only decorative - it's a single solid piece, with a polycap at each end for the torso and waist pieces.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

We are going to see some crazy poo poo when they start painting them to match the Frankenmechs they design. Its going to be great :allears:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I kinda want to start painting gunpla if only to paint and kitbash a Hi-Mock to look like Ez8, for Frankenmech^2.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What are the pitfalls of airbrushing indoors? I mean, will an open window or a kitchen extractor fan not be enough?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

BizarroAzrael posted:

What are the pitfalls of airbrushing indoors? I mean, will an open window or a kitchen extractor fan not be enough?

Noise from the compressor if you are sensitive to that thing. Paint droplets getting everywhere if you don't have a steady hand or lack a spraying booth. Toxicity from enamels and lacquer solvents mostly, get an air filter (the wrap-around your face kind, and no dust filters are not enough).

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
You shouldn't spray indoors without a spray booth, period: all-around bad idea for any number of reasons.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The very concept of aerosoled paint, even acrylic, being loose in an improperly ventilated room fills me with dread.

Even if you have a good mask, everything in that room and in the rooms beyond would start to collect paint on every surface where it could settle, this mixed with dust would make for some utterly profane cleanup attempts.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 24, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Gearhead posted:

The very concept of aerosoled paint, even acrylic, being loose in an improperly ventilated room fills me with dread.

Even if you have a good mask, everything in that room and in the rooms beyond would start to collect paint on every surface where it could settle, this mixed with dust would make for some utterly profane cleanup attempts.

I done that ONCE when I still collected 40k stuff. I had to move all the furniture out of the room to clean the purple-pigmented dust.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I done that ONCE when I still collected 40k stuff. I had to move all the furniture out of the room to clean the purple-pigmented dust.

I do a lot of work with electronics and I can tell you from experience that dust + anything = cement. A smoker who owns a computer in a dusty place creates some pretty horrible crap from the tar in cigarette smoke. Paint would be a million times worse, scaling from 'nasty' with acrylics to 'biohazard' with lacquers and enamels.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've had no choice but to use a less then ideally ventillated room (moving back with parents can suck) but luckily it's a storage room that as a bunch of old poo poo in it that we're never going to use again. But yeah primer get's everywhere and you better be drat sure to have a a top quality mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Even if you can't vent it outside, a good respirator and a paint booth to suck the particulates into a filter are extremely important. The mask will keep you from passing out from toxic fumes and breathing in the particulate the booth doesn't catch. Some goon earlier said get one with 95% particulate filtration and an organic vapors cartridge or some such. Which is what I have. You can find them at Lowes or whatever your local hardware and construction supply place happens to be.

I've seen paint booths be made of rubbermade tubs, bathroom fans, and furnace filters, but I know pretty much nothing about this. Personally, for my rattlecan needs, I'm using a cardboard box in a room no one uses and doesn't store anything important that isn't in a closed box. That plus the mask works well enough, but when I get my air brush (Tax season...), I'll be adding a proper ventilated box.

edit: For maximum :jeb:, I don't open my window when I'm working with toxic things because it's too loving cold. That's why I ended up getting the respirator before the air brush.