Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Declan MacManus posted:

Traynor YBAs can get Marshally tones but they've also gone up in price

It's hard out here for a pimp

I really, really want one of the YBA-1 50th anniv or Mod 1 models with the built-in attenuator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frindle
Jan 10, 2015
Who has experience with Orange? My needs have changed and I am going to leave my Line 6 half-stack simply as a backup just for emergency. My research has led me to the solid-state Orange CR120H, thoughts? What have I been looking for? Changing from a metal scene to something...Less extreme. Dirty channel doesn't need to be overpowering, while a warm clean tone is important, but on budget of course.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I've got a few Oranges, but nothing solid state. Found a video demo where it sounds surprisingly good and Orangey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOb1YLfGTfk

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So a student of mine loaned me his Orange Micro Terror and its pretty ridiculous how good it sounds for it's size and cost. I'm definitely going to pick up my own now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

HollisBrown posted:

So a student of mine loaned me his Orange Micro Terror and its pretty ridiculous how good it sounds for it's size and cost. I'm definitely going to pick up my own now.

I need some sort of little amp to keep in my room for when the guest room with my OR15/212 is occupied. I'm an Orange fanboy and that little thing seems perfect.

If you don't mind answering a few things, can you manage cleans? How well does the headphone out work?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
The cleans are somewhere between non-existent and "wooly". You can get some clean sound but there's not much headroom on it. It's a much better clean then a marshall though, you just don't get very much. For bedroom play I'd imagine that that'd be fine though.

I have yet to try the headphone jack but when I get back home I'll try it out and let you know.

It takes drive pedals very well, less so it seems for fuzz pedals, the Algal Bloom get's very compressed sounding through it, but I didn't really try to dial it in to that amp, it's set up for my Princeton which could not be a more different sounding amp.

But really a $150 head has no right to sound as good as this does.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I got one myself, and I can agree the cleans are pretty bad, though my favorite cleans are out of a Fender Frontman so :shrug:.

The headphone out is pretty bad for anything but cleans ironically. The clipping you get with the drive pushed up sounds really bad, it just sounds too harsh to be any good; nothing like how it sounds with a speaker.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
On my second Fender Super Sonic amp. First one had an issue in the pre amp tubes that caused weird fizzing. Loved the amp otherwise so picked up another, which has been working fantastic for the past six months.

And then last Thursday I'd get this strange as hell "click click click click buzz" sound that I've heard several times with failing power tubes. I was about to be pissed but when looking at the back, while plugged in, ready to go, I noticed that whenever I touched the power cable the problem occurred. Changed out the power cable, moved it to another spot on the power supply, no issue.

So far.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

You should just buy an old silverface Deluxe. At least those are a lot easier to work on!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
My drummer lets me use his Deluxe Reverb, which is a very sweet device.

But yeah, once I get moved out of an apartment I'll probably pick up a silverface.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Does anyone have any feelings/opinions on the engl ironball? It somehow became the object of my lust last night.

moctopus fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 17, 2015

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

umalt posted:

I got one myself, and I can agree the cleans are pretty bad, though my favorite cleans are out of a Fender Frontman so :shrug:.

The headphone out is pretty bad for anything but cleans ironically. The clipping you get with the drive pushed up sounds really bad, it just sounds too harsh to be any good; nothing like how it sounds with a speaker.

That's actually good to hear. If I bought a Micro Terror I'd use it with a slave and what it sounds like is that the headphone section is actually just a preamp out without any sort of speaker simulation. Makes it useless as a headphone out but makes it play nice with the power section of an another amp

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

That's actually good to hear. If I bought a Micro Terror I'd use it with a slave and what it sounds like is that the headphone section is actually just a preamp out without any sort of speaker simulation. Makes it useless as a headphone out but makes it play nice with the power section of an another amp

If it's just a preamp out then couldn't you get a good sound from running it into your computer and then through guitar rig or amplitube or something like that?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

A Winner is Jew posted:

If it's just a preamp out then couldn't you get a good sound from running it into your computer and then through guitar rig or amplitube or something like that?

Possibly. It really depends. You'd probably want to run it into a power amp simulation only because otherwise it's basically just a distortion pedal into the front end of your amp sim. Then again that might not be the worst thing in the world.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I dunno I hooked up my v4 into my emperor for bass at band practice and it sounded good/loud enough. I mean we are just in d standard but i dunno why people say it's not loud enough.

granted I am going for a more grinding sound but, it sounds good. I see all these "extreme" and "heavy" bands and all you can do is feel the bass among the the mix. trying to figure out if I am just experiencing cognitive dissonance or not

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I dunno I hooked up my v4 into my emperor for bass at band practice and it sounded good/loud enough. I mean we are just in d standard but i dunno why people say it's not loud enough.

granted I am going for a more grinding sound but, it sounds good. I see all these "extreme" and "heavy" bands and all you can do is feel the bass among the the mix. trying to figure out if I am just experiencing cognitive dissonance or not

Buy a boss hm-2 off eBay.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Spanish Manlove posted:

Buy a boss hm-2 off eBay.

already got a haymaker. that with the power tubes running hard, sounds delicious

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

It really depends on the type of drivers and the efficiency of the drivers. That said, I've yet to see a V4B compete with a Marshall 2203, for example. It's apples and oranges.

What are your guitarists playing through?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

It really depends on the type of drivers and the efficiency of the drivers. That said, I've yet to see a V4B compete with a Marshall 2203, for example. It's apples and oranges.

What are your guitarists playing through?

6505+ I mean don't get me wrong I don't get that deep "oomph" but I think it kinda works.

that being said probably gun look for a sunn coliseum or something and sell v4

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
So, probably a dumb question but I'm still fairly new to tube amps. I've had a couple amps where part of the inside of the glass on one of the tubes looks kind of singed or burned after use. It's always just appeared when trying a new set of tubes and it only happens to one tube, doesn't seem to affect sound or anything and the tube otherwise looks and acts completely normal. Is this something bad/concerning?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Bruce Boxliker posted:

So, probably a dumb question but I'm still fairly new to tube amps. I've had a couple amps where part of the inside of the glass on one of the tubes looks kind of singed or burned after use. It's always just appeared when trying a new set of tubes and it only happens to one tube, doesn't seem to affect sound or anything and the tube otherwise looks and acts completely normal. Is this something bad/concerning?

if it's playing fine I wouldn't worry scout it, if you really want you could check voltage on the different tubes/sockets and see if it's much different

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Bruce Boxliker posted:

The silver area toward the top of the tube? That's called a getter, it's a reactive metal used to keep the vacuum when the cathode is heated and releases gas into the bottle.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

jwh posted:

The silver area toward the top of the tube? That's called a getter, it's a reactive metal used to keep the vacuum when the cathode is heated and releases gas into the bottle.

I've seen that in a lot of tubes and it's different from that. It's on the side, not the top, and looks a little silvery but mostly just looks charred. Honest thought is it looks like I pushed the tube way too hard but it's just the one tube and doesn't seem to affect performance.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I've seen that in a lot of tubes and it's different from that. It's on the side, not the top, and looks a little silvery but mostly just looks charred. Honest thought is it looks like I pushed the tube way too hard but it's just the one tube and doesn't seem to affect performance.

sounds like a "burn in" mark. Is it like this?

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 20, 2015

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

sounds like a "burn in" mark. Is it like this?

Bingo! That's it. Is it anything to worry about?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

That looks like a side getter to me.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Bingo! That's it. Is it anything to worry about?

no you're fine

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Generally, the cause for concern is seeing white inside the bottle, which is usually indicative of a loss in the vacuum.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I just read this article which, if it isn't full of poo poo, explains why I have never felt like typical Fender and Marshall style T/M/B knobs were doing what they were supposed to. On any amp. I feel strangely vindicated, but also like I nee to tear out the tone circuit in my amp and replace it with a brownface-type two knob setup.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

This is partly where the mythical 'Fender Six' comes from: http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/magic-six.pdf

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jwh posted:

This is partly where the mythical 'Fender Six' comes from: http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/magic-six.pdf

I was hoping it was for my preferred method of setting the tone controls to 6-6-6 and turning up the volume until the cops show up. Or your singer hits you with something. Preferably both.

That was a fun show.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
My Bassman is a little fizzy. At low volumes, very fizzy. And When I turn on or off the Deep (on bass channel) or Bright (on normal instrument channel) I get a loud pop. What's going on? Do I need to re cap it?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

juche mane posted:

My Bassman is a little fizzy. At low volumes, very fizzy. And When I turn on or off the Deep (on bass channel) or Bright (on normal instrument channel) I get a loud pop. What's going on? Do I need to re cap it?

Sounds like you might but, go after the tubes first. How old are the power tubes? Try pulling the inside two and outside two ( and adjust resistance to cab accordingly) and see if its one of the tubes. Tap the preamp tubes and stuff. Also, maybe before all this, try plugging it in a different room/breaker/house to make sure its not a grounding issue.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Hey guys. I'm now playing with two groups, one is a blues-rock group and the other is more punk rock. I have a strat with three single coils and a Gretsch semi hollow body with two humbuckers. I'm looking to upgrade to a tube amp for gigging purposes, and am leaning towards a 40 watt Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III. What do you guys think? I like that it comes with a footswitch for channel switching, and it seems like the clean channel and effects loop will give me a lot of pedal options.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Day Man posted:

Hey guys. I'm now playing with two groups, one is a blues-rock group and the other is more punk rock. I have a strat with three single coils and a Gretsch semi hollow body with two humbuckers. I'm looking to upgrade to a tube amp for gigging purposes, and am leaning towards a 40 watt Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III. What do you guys think? I like that it comes with a footswitch for channel switching, and it seems like the clean channel and effects loop will give me a lot of pedal options.

You could do a lot worse than a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III as a platform for effects, but I'd trawl craigslist on the off chance you can pick up something inexpensively.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

You could do a lot worse than a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III as a platform for effects, but I'd trawl craigslist on the off chance you can pick up something inexpensively.

Yeah unless you can get a sick deal it's better to go used. If you want to PM or post options you found on CL i'd help grab something fitting and a good deal.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Yeah unless you can get a sick deal it's better to go used. If you want to PM or post options you found on CL i'd help grab something fitting and a good deal.

Looking just now, I see a couple fender twins for 750. I'll post options when I'm ready to buy in a couple weeks

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'd much rather have a Fender Twin than a Hot Rod Deluxe.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

jwh posted:

I'd much rather have a Fender Twin than a blowjob.
Fixed. I really like twins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Yeah, I would, too. I didn't realize I could find good used versions at that price.