Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Citizen Tayne posted:

Now making an initial public offering: your mom's box

initial? nah that shits been traded on the pink sheets for decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

valleywag is off my reading list now that dan lyons is in charge. he sucks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bassguitarhero posted:

it's pretty much "expected" that if you're dating in SF, you send an uber to pick up your date, etc

that seems really weird

whats your address ill send an uber

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

PCjr sidecar posted:

heh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

that seems really weird

cool people don't have cars in sf i guess

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

did they send taxis before uber????

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
what the gently caress kind of women are you dating that you have to pick them up in tyool 2015?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
lol at dating FOB, DDP or :frogout:

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 23, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

that seems really weird

"It's very likely that you won't get abducted and raped"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

"It's very likely that you won't get abducted and raped"

high on the list of things not to say before a date

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

I don't know these acronyms

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FrozenVent posted:

friends of bill (clinton)? :confused:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fine Old Beuaty

Demure Dalliance Participant

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

FrozenVent posted:

why are you using incoterms?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

topical

http://youtu.be/nn8NNSxwFog

three business school graduate sisters moved to Silicon Valley to start a dot-com dating site they're pitching on shark tank that selects friends of Facebook friends using a machine learning algo but it's basically Hot or Not. it's free with IAP bullshit.

they raised $2.4m of venture capital and burned through it in a year by paying themselves 100k each plus SF dev salaries. they don't anticipate breaking even until they have 10 million in IAP revenue which they swear they'll reach by spending millions on advertising next year. they refuse to provide concrete numbers on their user count and get rejected for being terrible business people with a good product.

Mark Cuban offers 30 million today for the whole company and they turn it down within seconds because it's totally a billion dollar business.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 23, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

startup.txt

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

papu smash

how do you turn down thirty million dollars for a loving idea

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

"We see this business growing as big as match.com"

So you see your site turning into a giant piece of poo poo with no one using it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

papu smash

if Mark Cuban offers you thirty million earth dollars for an idea with $500,000 in gross revenues that you anticipate breaking even for the foreseeable future you should probably take it hth

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
your supposed to take the $30m because then you have the credibility/track record that lets you raise $100m for your next (terrible) idea

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

papu smash

well it's a "reality" TV show so it's almost certainly scripted to some extent

30mil isn't too unreasonable if they have the mentioned product

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

your supposed to take the $30m because then you have the credibility/track record that lets you raise $100m for your next (terrible) idea

this. nobody that's any good is a one hit wonder

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

well it's a "reality" TV show so it's almost certainly scripted to some extent

30mil isn't too unreasonable if they have the mentioned product

it's not scripted scripted but they're fed lines by producers, particularly to set up tension for spots they think they can insert commercials (kevin o'leary acts as the surrogate host). they don't know anything about the business going in other than the guy's name and what the stagehands set up before they come in.

it's one of those shows where you watch one failure video on youtube and you just can't stop watching!!!! i love the canadian version because unlike the american version, they let more cranks through.

e: oh yeah, cuban also said that something like 50% of deals die in due diligence afterward because the pitcher outright lied about something important like patents or is just reselling something already available in europe.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 23, 2015

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's not scripted scripted but they're fed lines by producers, particularly to set up tension for spots they think they can insert commercials (kevin o'leary acts as the surrogate host). they don't know anything about the business going in other than the guy's name and what the stagehands set up before they come in.

it's one of those shows where you watch one failure video on youtube and you just can't stop watching!!!! i love the canadian version because unlike the american version, they let more cranks through.

i clicked expecting this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYgGPh28ZnE

standing twenty feet from a literal cancer survivor and a retired cop and claiming your bullshit woo-woo water cures all diseases including cancer is a good idea if

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

yeah..."mark cuban offered them 30 million dollars" should be read the same as house hunters "we have a very interested buyer who wants this house RIGHT NOW so you guys had better make a decision in the next 6.5 minutes before the commercial break!!"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

yeah..."mark cuban offered them 30 million dollars" should be read the same as house hunters "we have a very interested buyer who wants this house RIGHT NOW so you guys had better make a decision in the next 6.5 minutes before the commercial break!!"

the line was "if I offered you 30 million today, would you take it?" which i read as seeing if they were insane people who thought they were building the next billion-dollar dot-com.

e: speaking of dot-coms, the 1990s called https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moNj9S5WuS4

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 23, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

friend used to do video editing for reality TV shows. take how fake you think it is and ratchet it up a dozen notches or so.

they just use "reality" as a cover for the poo poo production and acting that comes from using non-union labor. no writer's guild members writing the script or screen actor's guild people starring. that's about the entirety of the difference (and the reason they are so loving cheap to make).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the best fake reality show is bar rescue which likes to do things that are illegal in the local municipality and thus get people owned

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

e: lol at the regex loving it up

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL622682EF88B3C077

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

friend used to do video editing for reality TV shows. take how fake you think it is and ratchet it up a dozen notches or so.

they just use "reality" as a cover for the poo poo production and acting that comes from using non-union labor. no writer's guild members writing the script or screen actor's guild people starring. that's about the entirety of the difference (and the reason they are so loving cheap to make).

wait you mean that woman really isn't choosing a husband from among these horrible people

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

the best fake reality show is bar rescue which likes to do things that are illegal in the local municipality and thus get people owned

they "rescued" a local place into a steampunk bar but gave it a name that made it seem like a bondage place.

"metal and lace"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pinterest Mom posted:

the bay area has a population of 7 million, so maybe that's the correct measure, so you'd be looking at "just" 71$ per capita, which is a lot more reasonable

$71 per capita is not reasonable at all

• only the top-earning quintile of the population can afford cabs in the first place. i'd guess that the vast bulk of workers never use cabs at all, not even once a year

• obviously children do not pay for cabs

• suburbanites use cabs less than visitors or urban residents. when we expand from the city limits to the entire metro, nearly everyone we're sweeping up is a suburbanite (as a city-dweller, i use a cab about once a month. as a suburbanite, i used a cab about once a year.)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

the line was "if I offered you 30 million today, would you take it?" which i read as seeing if they were insane people who thought they were building the next billion-dollar dot-com.

yeah i didnt think that was actually an offer

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Luigi Thirty posted:

The fakeness of Bar Rescue is hilarous, Jon Tapper seems to blow up big time the same way every episode. I wish all of them were in trailer bars in the midwest.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

flakeloaf posted:

wait you mean that woman really isn't choosing a husband from among these horrible people

e_harmony.rtf

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

go onnnnnnn

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

sonatinas posted:

The fakeness of Bar Rescue is hilarous, Jon Tapper seems to blow up big time the same way every episode. I wish all of them were in trailer bars in the midwest.

the realness of bar rescue is also hilarious

every bar they visit, it's a miracle they haven't been shut down by the local health dept

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

sonatinas posted:

the older ones were better because he didn't just go "A HAIR ON THE BAR? THIS GUY'S GONNA KILL SOMEONE I'M GOING IN" and yell at everyone for 45 minutes every episode

Captain Foo posted:

go onnnnnnn

there was one recently where they set up a self-serve station as the centerpiece of whatever bar he redid

except those were illegal in that state and they had to pay to take it out a few weeks later and went back to the old, lovely concept

i have a lot of free time to watch lovely reality television if you haven't noticed

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the realness of bar rescue is also hilarious

every bar they visit, it's a miracle they haven't been shut down by the local health dept

oh yeah, or the labor board, like the silicon valley guy who got into the bar business and had all his employees on 1099s because MY TAXES and still didn't pay them for a month because "they're all lazy scum who leech off my money" and his place was falling apart with literal cobwebs and cockroaches falling into drinks from the ceiling while his favorite local death metal band was re-enacting abortions on stage. at the end he promised to pay all his employees, then the title card at the end said "as of this airing, nobody has been paid in 3 months and everyone quit"

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bar rescue turned a place near my work that was an OK bar in a tricky location into THE PATRIOT HOUSE featuring Millard Fillmore's Minestrone [srsly]

in the city probably the least susceptible to dumb jingoistic bullshit in the whole country

• Locked thread