Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

double nine posted:

eeeh, getting a good troop transport, loading it with high-detection troops with a good general, and just dumping all your prisoners on it is just as good. Especially if you just order it to jump from one rear end-end of the galaxy to one on the opposite side.

Yep. The escape-proof method. You're not getting away this time, Lemelisk! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Man who cares about these loving Star Wars games? Where is full throttle, day of the tentacle and monkey island 3?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Eulisker posted:

Man who cares about these loving Star Wars games? Where is full throttle, day of the tentacle and monkey island 3?

the title of the sale is "Lucasfilm on Gog.com" not "Lucasarts on Gog.com"

also most of these star wars games own bones

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mortimer posted:

I'm half-wondering if they're going to hold off on Day of the Tentacle just to see if they can make another push for an HD version based on how well the otherLucasarts games sell.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm half-wondering if they're going to hold off on Day of the Tentacle just to see if they can make another push for an HD version based on how well the otherLucasarts games sell.

Day of the Tentacle is definitely getting the HD treatment which is likely why it's held off.

I just want Curse of Monkey Island.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Clouseau posted:

Day of the Tentacle is definitely getting the HD treatment which is likely why it's held off.

I just want Curse of Monkey Island.

Wait.

What?

WHAT?!

:flashfap::shepspends:

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

When are they going to release Escape from Monkey Island? I know it's not great, but it's the only Monkey Island I haven't finished because it's unplayably glitchy on XP and beyond.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'd prefer it if everyone just forgot that game existed. You're fine not finishing it, the ending's bad.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
It's beyond bad, it is retroactively franchise poisoning.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Mortimer posted:

Sam & Max.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Expanded Universe.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Saoshyant posted:

Expanded Universe.
You can find Max in Dark Forces II, I suppose.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Mortimer posted:

But it says right here in the news:

quote:

A long time ago in a galaxy near you, ©Disney Interactive and GOG.com teamed up to bring you the holy grail of classic gaming: six Lucasfilm cult-classics were added to our DRM-free catalog, including three titles which saw their digital premiere on GOG.com. We also made a promise to bring you many more cult-classics in the future and, believe us, we did not forget.

Meaning the first 6 games including 3 non Star Wars games. So where are my adventure games?

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Presumably coming in the future? They're not going to quit adding Lucasarts games after they round out all the Star Wars stuff, just cool your jets.

jivjov posted:

Trying to get Rogue Squadron set up on my friend's PC, and we're having a bit of an issue; he's using a wired 360 controller just like I am, and while mine worked fine out of the box, (complete with a pre-programmed button assignment scheme that I messed with a bit) he can't configure anything in-game. The joystick config menu keeps reading a persistent Button 1 input from somewhere and tries to assign everything to that button. Any ideas on what may be causing this?

Turns out the trick is to disable compatibility mode on Rogue Squadron.exe. I tried it just now and was able to use my wireless 360 controller without any problems.

ovaries fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 23, 2015

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

Eulisker posted:

But it says right here in the news:

Meaning the first 6 games including 3 non Star Wars games. So where are my adventure games?

My guess is after the next batch of Star Wars games next week there will be another couple month (or hopefully couple week) wait and then they will unleash another round, which will hopefully include Full Throttle, Curse of Monkey Island and some other Adventure games. I'm guessing they'll try and do a mix of digital premieres like FT and COMI and ones that have been on Steam for a while like MI2 Remake, Loom, The Dig, maybe Fate of Atlantis. I'm hoping anyway...

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

choobs posted:

My guess is after the next batch of Star Wars games next week there will be another couple month (or hopefully couple week) wait and then they will unleash another round, which will hopefully include Full Throttle, Curse of Monkey Island and some other Adventure games. I'm guessing they'll try and do a mix of digital premieres like FT and COMI and ones that have been on Steam for a while like MI2 Remake, Loom, The Dig, maybe Fate of Atlantis. I'm hoping anyway...

Fate of Atlantis already is on GOG. Personally, I'm hoping for Zak McKracken. Bonus points for porting the FM Towns version of it...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I would love Outlaws so that we get a resurgence in multiplayer, also I can't install it on Windows 7 because the installer is so out of date :negative:

If they do finally release Full Throttle I hope they can finally restore the iMuse because playing it through SCUMMVM means quite a few of the triggers in cutscenes either do not happen or are delayed so long that they lose their punch.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

Sensenmann posted:

Fate of Atlantis already is on GOG. Personally, I'm hoping for Zak McKracken. Bonus points for porting the FM Towns version of it...

Derp.... :madmax:

That's what I get for not doublechecking.

I wonder if they'll ever port over any of the console-only games like Rogue Leader.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm definitely getting Rogue Squadron because that was literally my first computer game ever and it is awesome as all hell. What other Star Wars games should I get?

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I'd prefer it if everyone just forgot that game existed. You're fine not finishing it, the ending's bad.

choobs posted:

It's beyond bad, it is retroactively franchise poisoning.

I actually rather enjoyed it and think it gets a bit harshly judged. Yes, it falls apart utterly in the end and the less said about Monkey combat the better, but until then I was happy with it. I would agree with the pretty universal opinion that it's the weakest of the franchise, but I really don't think it's as terrible as its reputation would suggest. It's been a while since I played it, but I certainly remember quite a few good moments that at least tickled me (Elaine's lawyers, reuniting the original crew, bribery and blackmail to win the diving contest and of course Murray).

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

Austen Tassletine posted:

I actually rather enjoyed it and think it gets a bit harshly judged. Yes, it falls apart utterly in the end and the less said about Monkey combat the better, but until then I was happy with it. I would agree with the pretty universal opinion that it's the weakest of the franchise, but I really don't think it's as terrible as its reputation would suggest. It's been a while since I played it, but I certainly remember quite a few good moments that at least tickled me (Elaine's lawyers, reuniting the original crew, bribery and blackmail to win the diving contest and of course Murray).

I found it moderately tolerable and even occasionally fun up until Guybrush gets dumped on Monkey Island. Up to that point, the worst part was that they pulled the ultimate "we're introducing a new villain, lets show him to be a super badass by having the series former villain kowtow to him" scenario that you see in bad comic books all the time. Then the game starts brutally loving the backstory of the other games WITH ABSOLUTELY NO PAYOFF. And again it's to make the new villain more badass, but all it accomplishes is pissing off people who were invested in the original games who, I feel it necessary to point out, were the only people who were going to buy a new adventure game at that point in gaming history.

And I know you said "the less said about Monkey combat the better" but I've got some poo poo to say. The game had already weirdly fetishized Insult fighting by having Insult Arm Wrestling and the whole Ultimate Insult thing, and then they take the only remotely entertaining thing about it, the insults, and strip it out leaving only the tedious awful repetitive part that takes forever plus a bunch of note-taking to complete! THEN THEY MAKE THIS lovely SYSTEM THE CENTERPIECE OF THE FINALE, and as a kicker, the way to "win" requires you to have repeatedly hosed up during the "training" and then noticed a very minor thing that happens when you gently caress up like this. I must have tried to win Monkey Combat with Giant LeChuck for an hour before I finallly gave up and looked up the goddamn solution. I'm getting pissed just thinking about it now.

It's really a shame because it's not a terrible game until the final act and then it has the double-whammy of legacy making GBS threads plus one of the worst game mechanics ever devices, and it didn't even have the visual charm of the earlier games.

Edit: I have strong feelings about 15 year old games about Pirates and Monkeys.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
There are still a fair few Lucas games on Steam that aren't on GOG yet, so I would have to assume that they will be there eventually. There's the other Indiana Jones adventure game, Last Crusade if I remember correctly, Loom, The Dig, all of the sequels to Dark Forces (Outcast etc) and probably a bunch of others that I've forgotten.

After that, who knows? Maybe the GOG bigwigs should make a list of all of the possible Lucas games out there, let people vote, and then push the hardest to add those that get the most votes. Presumably, those would be the ones that would sell the most.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

choobs posted:

I found it moderately tolerable and even occasionally fun up until Guybrush gets dumped on Monkey Island. Up to that point, the worst part was that they pulled the ultimate "we're introducing a new villain, lets show him to be a super badass by having the series former villain kowtow to him" scenario that you see in bad comic books all the time. Then the game starts brutally loving the backstory of the other games WITH ABSOLUTELY NO PAYOFF. And again it's to make the new villain more badass, but all it accomplishes is pissing off people who were invested in the original games who, I feel it necessary to point out, were the only people who were going to buy a new adventure game at that point in gaming history.

And I know you said "the less said about Monkey combat the better" but I've got some poo poo to say. The game had already weirdly fetishized Insult fighting by having Insult Arm Wrestling and the whole Ultimate Insult thing, and then they take the only remotely entertaining thing about it, the insults, and strip it out leaving only the tedious awful repetitive part that takes forever plus a bunch of note-taking to complete! THEN THEY MAKE THIS lovely SYSTEM THE CENTERPIECE OF THE FINALE, and as a kicker, the way to "win" requires you to have repeatedly hosed up during the "training" and then noticed a very minor thing that happens when you gently caress up like this. I must have tried to win Monkey Combat with Giant LeChuck for an hour before I finallly gave up and looked up the goddamn solution. I'm getting pissed just thinking about it now.

It's really a shame because it's not a terrible game until the final act and then it has the double-whammy of legacy making GBS threads plus one of the worst game mechanics ever devices, and it didn't even have the visual charm of the earlier games.

Edit: I have strong feelings about 15 year old games about Pirates and Monkeys.

I'm gonna go against the grain and say that I don't think the rest of the game is very good either. Convoluted puzzles, bland environments, jokes like Murray are run into the loving ground. I think the only legitimately good thing about it is the voice acting - there are some great performances here and there, like Ignatius Cheese and Ozzie Mandrill. Otherwise gently caress that game.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

ovaries posted:

Turns out the trick is to disable compatibility mode on Rogue Squadron.exe. I tried it just now and was able to use my wireless 360 controller without any problems.

Thank you. Sorry for giving bad advice. :cripes:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Sensenmann posted:

I would buy 10 copies of the FM Towns port of Loom if they ever do it.

Also, Afterlife for gently caress's sake. I loaned my copy to a friend in college and never got it back. :argh:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm gonna go against the grain and say that I don't think the rest of the game is very good either. Convoluted puzzles, bland environments, jokes like Murray are run into the loving ground. I think the only legitimately good thing about it is the voice acting - there are some great performances here and there, like Ignatius Cheese and Ozzie Mandrill. Otherwise gently caress that game.
Marco!
Polo!

OOP
ACK
CHEE
CHEE

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darthemed posted:

Marco!
Polo!

OOP
ACK
CHEE
CHEE

If you're ever stupid enough to consider playing Escape twice, just remember this; You need to learn the three-input codes to switch between each stance for each of the five forms. That's four different three-input codes for five stances for a total of twenty, and the only way to learn them is to hope you watch other monkeys do them during fights. And each stance's strength and weaknesses against the other are also randomized. God help you, you poor loving soul :suicide:.

I'd also like to remind you all of the existence of the swamp paradox, and the pirate prosthetics search database.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've seen an LP of Escape from Monkey Island and have something to add: The entire plot is loving bizarre given that the Monkey Island franchise is already a theme park version of piracy and was based on the pirates of the caribbean ride at disney. I'm really not sure if theme park version of theme park version of piracy being the big horrible threat is some kind of joke I'm not parsing or just dumb.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Peas and Rice posted:

I would buy 10 copies of the FM Towns port of Loom if they ever do it.
This, I'd also like to see. I still have the original EGA version with the floppies, the extra floppy for Roland MT-32 and the audio drama tape :) - and I kind of hate the changes made to facilitate the CD talkie version (which is also on Steam).

Also why the hell hasn't anyone involved in the original Loom kickstarted a sequel already? I'd pay for it even (especially) if they used the exact same art.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AbstractNapper posted:

Also why the hell hasn't anyone involved in the original Loom kickstarted a sequel already? I'd pay for it even (especially) if they used the exact same art.

Pretty sure you'd have better odds of winning the lottery than seeing Forge get made at this point.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure you'd have better odds of winning the lottery than seeing Forge get made at this point.

I seem to remember Brian Moriarty providing positive feedback to a few of the fan attempts for a sequel. I think one was called "Chaos", and is no longer active, and the other is called "Forge", is still active and is probably the most promising of the bunch (yes, there were more than two, and one I got to play some 7 years ago was pure garbage).

So we will probably see some (fan made) sequel, at some point. I just think that with Winnick being involved in the very successful (beyond or against logical expectations) Thimbleweed kickstarter and other former (and famous) LucasArts people trying their own projects on kickstarter, it would be reasonable to expect Moriarty to do so too.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're ever stupid enough to consider playing Escape twice, just remember this; You need to learn the three-input codes to switch between each stance for each of the five forms. That's four different three-input codes for five stances for a total of twenty, and the only way to learn them is to hope you watch other monkeys do them during fights. And each stance's strength and weaknesses against the other are also randomized. God help you, you poor loving soul :suicide:.

I'd also like to remind you all of the existence of the swamp paradox, and the pirate prosthetics search database.

The swamp paradox is the best puzzle in the game. It deserved to be in a better game.

I've suffered through Escape more than twice. More than five times. :negative:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

double nine posted:

eeeh, getting a good troop transport, loading it with high-detection troops with a good general, and just dumping all your prisoners on it is just as good. Especially if you just order it to jump from one rear end-end of the galaxy to one on the opposite side.

The Empire AI actually is actually using this against me right now. By chance they captured Leia and now she's on a Carrack cruiser that seems to be flying from the bottom of the core systems to the top every 60 days or so.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

AbstractNapper posted:

This, I'd also like to see. I still have the original EGA version with the floppies, the extra floppy for Roland MT-32 and the audio drama tape :) - and I kind of hate the changes made to facilitate the CD talkie version (which is also on Steam).

Loom is owned by Disney now. No one is ever making a direct sequel that game.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004

Hank Morgan posted:

The swamp paradox is the best puzzle in the game. It deserved to be in a better game.

I've suffered through Escape more than twice. More than five times. :negative:

Yeah, I loved the paradox puzzle. I swear another game utilized a similar mechanic in a time travel sequence. Maybe it was a Tales of MI episode?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Red Crown posted:

The Empire AI actually is actually using this against me right now. By chance they captured Leia and now she's on a Carrack cruiser that seems to be flying from the bottom of the core systems to the top every 60 days or so.
That's just a happy/unhappy coincidence of the AI's irrepressible urge to always be moving ships to and fro, though.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Hakkesshu posted:

Loom is owned by Disney now. No one is ever making a direct sequel that game.
You are probably right. But I wouldn't be that sure about it.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
How is X-wing alliance on a gamepad? I'm left handed and most modern flightsticks that I've seen are molded for right-handed people and the ones that aren't look pretty sub-par.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Rebellion chat: I can't catch Vader. I've got him cornered, I've got top men on the case. Luke and his team of 3 other force sensitive covert ops characters can't get the job done did. A team of 7 non-force people can't do it. Can't catch him if I invade. This guy's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

iirc vader has some of the best stats in the game bar none. You need a tonne of highly skilled men with decoys to capture him. I recommend Han solo and other non-force users, tbh. I think vader gains a bonus against weaker force users.

On the other hand, iirc every time Luke has an encounter with vader he gains a tonne of xp. So arguably you can use vader to level up luke to grandmaster.