Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

powderific posted:

Double post, but this optical to RCA works great for anyone else looking for one: http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419735826&sr=8-1&keywords=optical+fiio

If that sounds good enough to you, then you can just do the stereo receiver plus sub with crossover thing as you described. Some stereo receivers do have crossover settings even if they don't have digital inputs though, so that may be an option too.

That's not the one I grabbed, but ended up being the same price anyway (mine didn't come with an optical cable). Oh well, If mine is poo poo/DOA I'll return it for that. Appreciate the recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

Which I managed to lose very quickly.

Basically just a permanent/stationary setup for the TV though.
Some bookshelf speakers and a cheap amp are the usual answers for that kind of thing. The caveat I have for that is that a lot of cheap amps don't have a remote control so they're not really ideal for TV use. One of the other threads would probably be better to ask in like home theater or the general QA one.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Harik posted:

That's not the one I grabbed, but ended up being the same price anyway (mine didn't come with an optical cable). Oh well, If mine is poo poo/DOA I'll return it for that. Appreciate the recommendation.

Trip report: Digital cleared up the background noise until I turn the amp up to "ear-bleed" level, which works for me. Well, mostly: I've got computers side-by-side, both have optical out but I'm pretty sure at this point that two-input-one-output stereo optical mixers either don't exist or are so niche they're priced out of my range for a desktop audio system. I've looked at stereo analog mixers but I don't want to spend $100 on one. For now I've got the less-important system jumpered over via 1/8th and using software to mix that input in to the host's output, which goes out optical.

Of course that has a ton of noise, so next stop is a digital link between the two. Anyone have experience with CM6206-based USB audio codecs? It's interesting since it's got TOSLINK in and out, which would hopefully let me use 24-bit audio instead of it's built-in 16-bit DAC.

Worst case I'll appropriate two USB devkits from work, load audio profiles on them, and make a franken-cable that acts as a digital audio crossover. Customers have asked me for more bizarre things...

Harik fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 31, 2014

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Djarum posted:

Well if you have the Audioengine A2+ they do not require a external DAC (basically a soundcard). If you are looking to get a major step up in audio for a fair price that would be your best option. With most studio monitors you do not need to worry about having a big subwoofer. I have some Mackie MR6 MK3's and they push more than enough bass, far more than my old 5.1 setup did.

So basically, go buy the Audioengines and be happy. Get some isolation pads with them, it helps out a ton.

powderific posted:

They're still good, but if you have space and can get the right connections JBL's LSR305 are a bit more expensive and I think they're a nice upgrade. The AudioEngines are easy and good thought. For placement, ideally you'd get them up off the surface a bit to keep them from getting too boomy. I use thick books. Others use desktop stands.

Reading about the LSR305s, they do seem really good. However, it sounds like they would physically dominate my desk. They're a lot bigger than the Audioengine A2+, they'd just about fit onto the desk either side of my monitor, and I've seen some people say they should be a foot away from the wall! My desk is only 2 feet deep. Even if they were flat against the wall I wonder if they would be too close to me sitting at the desk. It's a shame, because everything I read about them is positive.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 2, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sounds like they'd probably be too big for your setup. They're more the size of a bookshelf speaker than something you'd normally put on a desk. Even on our large desk they're pretty imposing.

The A2+'s are very good speakers though, and are a much easier size to deal with. I'm still happy with my original A2's even after spending time with the JBL's at the office.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I just got the A2+ as well, and they're excellent, and the built in DAC is super convenient

The only downside is that the bass gets a little lost at low volumes (in comparison to old pc speakers with a subwoofer) so I suspect I'll want to get a sub at some point.

On that note, can anyone recommend a decent one for cheap?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I got the Behringer MS16 monitors based on some posts in this thread, but I was not impressed with the sound (I don't know what I expected). So I returned them and got the Presonus Eris E4.5 monitors, and holy hell what a difference. These things sound phenominal. I was previously looking at some A2s but these were on sale for $130 from SamAsh and I don't regret it a bit. The only downside is the size, but I don't mind.

http://www.amazon.com/Presonus-Eris-E4-5-Powered-Monitor/dp/B00EZ1VAMC

Edit:

Perhaps I jumped the gun a bit, there is a slight hiss coming from both tweeters, even without any input (only power plugged in), and is the same at all volume levels. Tried moving to different outlets, different power strip, UPS, etc, same issue. Dialing back the "high" range EQ knob mitigates the issue a bit, but the hiss remains. Its barely audible from ~3' away where I sit, when audio is playing you obviously can't tell.

Is this characteristic of all active monitors? Would this not be an issue with a separate amp? Its not a huge issue for me, but if I can get a silent setup for around the same price I would rather have that.

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 7, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's an issue with all active monitors. Of the powered speakers I'm around regularly, JBL LSR305, AudioEngine A2 and A5, none hiss. Can you turn down the overall levels (not just the highs) to mitigate it without losing too much top end volume?

Speaking of the LSR305, Massdrop has them for $119 per speaker right now. If you have room for them and don't mind the extra cabling, they sound amazing. I'd absolutely replace my A2's with them if my desk was big enough.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Definitely not a problem with my Audioengines and Adams.

On the other hand, I've heard plenty of hiss from amps and passive speakers. Make sure it's not your source introducing noise, try playing from other devices while your PC isn't connected.

E: OK, you've already tried that. Pretty sure you're just unlucky and they're just that noisy.

Odd that it's the same at all volume levels. What are you setting the bass/treble knobs to?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 21, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I wanted a reasonably good 5.1 set up (for gaming), I might spend a bit more money but since I don't want to bother my neighbors I don't need a lot of power, I'm mostly worried with sound quality. I found these http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/surround-sound-speaker-z506 and I wanted to know if there is anything too objectionable about them, or if I could easily get better speakers that output noises that these can't. Yes, I know absolutely nothing about audio.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It takes me ages to decide anything. I posted here a month ago about the Audioengine A2+ and finally got them this week. Most places have them for £200 but I got them for £150 at One Stop PC Shop, which I'd never heard of (found them by searching Google Shopping for the speakers), next day delivery and no problems. It probably sounds hyperbolic but compared to my decade old speakers it's like listening to stuff for the first time again. Good even listening at low volumes. Had some Classic FM this evening and some heavy metal later on, and everything is so clear and punchy, and I could really notice individual instruments and stereo effects, even the wife noticed a difference and she doesn't even care about this stuff much. I've noticed things in music I've been listening to for decades and never noticed before. I've wasted the last 20 years of my life with lovely speakers.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

program666 posted:

I wanted a reasonably good 5.1 set up (for gaming), I might spend a bit more money but since I don't want to bother my neighbors I don't need a lot of power, I'm mostly worried with sound quality. I found these http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/surround-sound-speaker-z506 and I wanted to know if there is anything too objectionable about them, or if I could easily get better speakers that output noises that these can't. Yes, I know absolutely nothing about audio.

I don't think there are many 5.1 users in this thread--for most people it's easier and better to get quality stereo desktop speakers and then headphones for positional audio. Those Logitechs aren't great or anything, but if you want 5.1 there aren't many/any better options unless you bump up to more of a home theater system. All that said, if you don't normally think much about audio they'll probably be totally fine.

edit: Just looked them up on Amazon and it looks like these are actually an upgraded model from what I was thinking of. For $60 it seems like a fine choice.

powderific fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 23, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I haven't been to this audio system thread in a while but I think the general recommendation was to start with solid front speakers (2.0/2.1/3.1), cause that's where most of the sound would be coming from, and fill in the rears if you have the budget for them on top of the good fronts.

You might want to post there too in case someone there can give better input on surround setups, and be specific if there's anything in particular you're looking for, like if this is for a desktop or HTPC setup or what.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Even if I don't know a lot about audio technically, I do want good quality speakers because I listen to a LOT of music and I wanted good audio while playing games. I've been through these experiences where you listen to new sounds in music you listened to your whole life too and I don't want to miss anything if possible. I know about the headphone thing but I don't like using headphones unless it's necessary.
One of the problems with this whole thing is that I don't have a lot of options here in my country, and importing stuff is really expensive right now, so I can't just get a recommendation and go buy it, so I'll have to try to understand how to buy speakers in general and see what options do I have around here basically.
For example I was thinking about going for a home theater set up, I've seen some of those being sold and I was thinking about buying them, I just didn't know how well they would pay off. I'll be checking the stores around here, and the other thread (thanks) next.

Edit: Also, the set up I'm aiming for is drilling wholes on the walls on my room pretty much.

program666 fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 23, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

program666 posted:

Even if I don't know a lot about audio technically, I do want good quality speakers because I listen to a LOT of music and I wanted good audio while playing games. I've been through these experiences where you listen to new sounds in music you listened to your whole life too and I don't want to miss anything if possible. I know about the headphone thing but I don't like using headphones unless it's necessary.
One of the problems with this whole thing is that I don't have a lot of options here in my country, and importing stuff is really expensive right now, so I can't just get a recommendation and go buy it, so I'll have to try to understand how to buy speakers in general and see what options do I have around here basically.
For example I was thinking about going for a home theater set up, I've seen some of those being sold and I was thinking about buying them, I just didn't know how well they would pay off. I'll be checking the stores around here, and the other thread (thanks) next.

Edit: Also, the set up I'm aiming for is drilling wholes on the walls on my room pretty much.

Go ask in the home theater audio thread, but it's going to depend heavily on your budget. Read the OP.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384469&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

This might be a good place to start, though:

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/A2-plus-W-Powered-Desktop-Speakers

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 23, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Thanks a lot
After an entire day looking for the options I have I'm pretty sure the only speakers that exist in my country that you guys could possibly know about are the JBL ones so that's what I'm buying I think. Importing by amazon is way too expensive right now.
The only problem is that the ones I found so far that are reasonably priced are models that don't exist anywhere but on some few stores here in brazil, like the JBL C621. But I think I'll be able to find a pair of JBL speakers (that don't look shady) eventually, I just can't continue my quest right now but I'll be back asking for more info on the stuff I could get.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Anyone have any experience with the Focal Alpha 50s?

hellfaucet fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 23, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

http://portal.royalmusic.com.br/produto/krk-rokit-5-rp5-g2-black/

Don't know whether these guys are anywhere near you, but at least it's in your country. All KRKs have been worth their price so far afaik.

Or maybe in general, if hifi stores aren't much help, you can look for medium budget studio monitors in music stores.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

thanks a lot bro, this is probably going to help.
About hifi stores, let me put it this way: I live in rio, and as far as I know, and I looked a lot into it, there are no hifi stores here, and it's the second biggest city in Brazil. Like, seriously, what the gently caress.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, your prices are really tough. Entry level Polk bookshelf speakers that'd be at most a couple hundred bucks in the USA are around three times more expensive in Brazil.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

powderific posted:

Man, your prices are really tough. Entry level Polk bookshelf speakers that'd be at most a couple hundred bucks in the USA are around three times more expensive in Brazil.

The Brazilian government price gouges like crazy with any product being imported in. It's horribly restrictive.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

program666 posted:

thanks a lot bro, this is probably going to help.
About hifi stores, let me put it this way: I live in rio, and as far as I know, and I looked a lot into it, there are no hifi stores here, and it's the second biggest city in Brazil. Like, seriously, what the gently caress.

Contact Harman and ask them where the closest dealer is? They should have stuff for all price ranges.

http://www.harmandobrasil.com.br/

program666
Aug 22, 2013

thanks, I tried doing that with JBL Selenium earlier and they gave the the phones of two companies rent equipment for events, or just manage events, not re-sellers, but yeah I'll try Herman too.
All this stuff is helping a lot, thanks to some of your tips I found out that my best shot is looking for instrument shops, most don't have web sites so I'll have to call them on Monday to find out what they have. The ones that have websites have a very limited and crazy expensive catalog.

The crazy thing about prices here is that sometimes it's actually half of the price or less to just import from amazon. I laugh a lot while researching for electronics, and cry.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Also, maybe you can explain to me something I'm still kind of clueless about, I'm not looking for a lot of power here since I don't want to bother my neighbors, but I see that these monitor speakers (that I understand are meant to output the most unaltered waves possible) usually have their own power feed. I mean, I'm probably not going to use all that power but I'm guessing sound quality goes hand-in-hand with power and it won't be an actual waste.

Edit: I say this because I figure that when someone suggest me to use a "KRK Rokit 5″ RP5 G2 Black", I'm supposed to buy two of those for my front speakers, connect them to the receivers, and buy some other lower quality speakers for the rest of my 5.1 setup.

program666 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 23, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Oh, I missed that part of the conversation. I just went on the fact that KillHour linked you to the A2+. I'm not up to date on 5.1 setups or how to work those with active speakers or what sort of receiver you'd need.

I know that your center speaker needs to be of equally good quality as well, though.

Maybe you're back to square one then? Sorry.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I'm constantly on square one while I'm learning. No two ways about it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm wrong but I'd guess those KRK's are going to cost a loving fortune given how awfully expensive cheapo passive speakers seem to be down there.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

powderific posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but I'd guess those KRK's are going to cost a loving fortune given how awfully expensive cheapo passive speakers seem to be down there.

I have some money, I could even just get them from amazon, except they won't ship here lol. I mean, I'm not splurging but if every other good equipment is on that price range I can cope with it.
I already found some speakers at prices lower than amazon-importing so I'm still hopeful I might get a reasonable price if I look enough.

program666 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 24, 2015

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
I'm looking for a 5.1 computer speaker setup in like the $200-300 range (i guess i could go a BIT higher, but...)

I don't really listen to anything that loud but a good subwoofer is very important. Also used for video games. Thanks for any recommendations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

I'm looking for a 5.1 computer speaker setup in like the $200-300 range (i guess i could go a BIT higher, but...)

I don't really listen to anything that loud but a good subwoofer is very important. Also used for video games. Thanks for any recommendations.

Why do you want 5.1? Your options in 5.1 are going to be very limited compared to a 2.0 or 2.1 setup.

Also, $200-300 is in the price range of a good subwoofer... alone.

What are you using this for besides video games? What does the room look like? Are you sitting in your computer chair or is this hooked up to a TV where you're using it from the couch?

Edit:

Since I don't want to leave you totally without things to think about, here's one way you can get started if 5.1 is your ultimate goal:

- Wait for a PSW10 to go on sale for <$100.
- Get a cheap 5.1 receiver refurbished. This one should do.
- Buy a pair of decent speakers on Craigslist for ~$70. Or spend a little more and get these, if you don't want to deal with Craigslist.
- Buy some cheap cables, if you need them.
- Wait a year and buy your other 3 speakers.

If 2.1 is acceptable (unless you're watching movies on your computer, it really should be), then buy the following:

- Audioengine A2+ speakers
- The aforementioned PSW10 subwoofer

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 2, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Are those Pioneer speakers really that much better than anything else in the same range like these or Daytons or low-end Polk, JBL, Infinity? I'm suspicious they're just one of those things the internet hype machine boosted for no good reason. Also they're so ugly to me I'd prefer a plain black box.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

qirex posted:

Are those Pioneer speakers really that much better than anything else in the same range like these or Daytons or low-end Polk, JBL, Infinity? I'm suspicious they're just one of those things the internet hype machine boosted for no good reason. Also they're so ugly to me I'd prefer a plain black box.

I haven't heard them in person, but people generally only have good things to say about them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KillHour posted:

I haven't heard them in person, but people generally only have good things to say about them.

I'd imagine that for a large number of buyers these are the first real speakers they've ever owned so they're naturally going to gush about them. I know the "medium driver in bigass box" model works, there's much more expensive speakers doing the same kind of thing. I'm just naturally suspicious of anything that becomes Goon Approved cult status.

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 2, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

qirex posted:

I'd imagine that for a large number of buyers these are the first real speakers they've ever owned so they're naturally going to gush about them. I know the "medium driver in bigass box" model works, there's much more expensive spears doing the same kind of thing. I'm just naturally suspicious of anything that becomes Goon Approved cult status.

They're probably not the best speakers out there at that price point, but they're relatively inexpensive, inoffensive looking, widely available and (supposedly) more than good enough for most home theater setups. I imagine that's a big part of it.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Just a follow up on my posts here. I think I gave up on spending copious amount of money on this thing since I'm in Brazil and prices are crazy high but mainly because I really don't have a lot of options. Not having a single audio shop here on Rio just put the kibosh on my high-end audio plans I think, since that means that I would depend on imports or, at best, a shop on another city 6 hours from here.
In the end I was thinking about just getting the YHT299 since at least I would get a receiver, and receiver prices are crazy loving high all around, and then later down the line maybe replace the front speakers for something better. This seems really advantageous since I would be getting a receiver with the normal connectors for speakers that are compatible with everything and the customization possibilities seems really great and all. But why would I do this when my speaker options are so drat limited anyway, there is like jbl with reasonable prices (in comparison to american prices) and then every other brand is just crazy loving expensive. Hell, I wouldn't even be able to test speakers before buying since I would need to buy everything over the internet.
So I'm just buying the logitech z506 (R$ 434.80) that is like almost 7 times cheaper for me than the yht299 (R$ 2,879.10) that I bet is only that expensive for being a import and the price probably won't reflect on sound quality anyway.
I could buy complete Home Theaters stuff by LG or Samsumg or whatnot, but those cost like double of the logitech stuff and it's probably because of the other stuff I won't use like dvd/blue-ray readers or karaoke and also probably won't reflect on audio quality.
Thanks for all the help guys, I'll be back when I'm living on a civilized area.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think you probably made the best possible choice for you situation. And hey, the logitechs do get consistently good reviews on Amazon and the like.

qirex, I've heard those pioneers but not in a critical listening situation (ambient music at a friend's) and I thought they were inoffensive, which to me is doing pretty good for a cheap system. Can't say too much about them since I didn't really sit and listen that closely.

There's some decent non-goon reviews out there too:

Interview with the guy who designed them: http://www.stereophile.com/content/surpassing-expectations-pioneers-andrew-jones
The review mentioned in the above interview: http://www.stereophile.com/content/entry-level-33
This guy has reviewed both the Pioneer and some cheap dayton and monoprice speakers: http://noaudiophile.com/Pioneer_BS-22/

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
So I'm having trouble finding a product that fits the bill of what I'm looking for.

I want a DAC/headphone amp/preamp built into one unit with a volume knob that controls either preamp output level and headphone level if headphones are plugged in.

It will be mainly used for DAC > Preamp > Studio Monitors.

The studio monitors do not have volume control and I don't want to use OS volume control, I much prefer a knob. However, I want it to switch off the line out when headphones are plugged in.

The closest unit I can find is the Audioengine D1, but that doesn't appear to actually have a good headphone amplifier. There's also the O2+ODAC, but it doesn't appear to automatically switch off the line-out when headphones are plugged in. I'm thinking maybe just get a Schiit Modi/Magni Uber, it's not one unit but still pretty compact.

Any suggestions?

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 3, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A little stack from Schiit is probably your best option. They're really small so being discrete components shouldn't make much difference if it's going to live on your desktop.

For my studio monitors I just put a passive volume attenuator in the chain. It doesn't automatically turn off, but I don't find it to be that big of deal to just hit mute on the monitors when I switch to speakers. One of these guys: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=825433&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

powderific posted:

A little stack from Schiit is probably your best option. They're really small so being discrete components shouldn't make much difference if it's going to live on your desktop.

For my studio monitors I just put a passive volume attenuator in the chain. It doesn't automatically turn off, but I don't find it to be that big of deal to just hit mute on the monitors when I switch to speakers. One of these guys: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=825433&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Wait, so the volume knob on the Magni doesn't adjust the preamp output level if headphones aren't plugged in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No, sorry, that's just in my setup. The magni works exactly how you want it to.

edit: just checked the manual for confirmation: http://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/magni-2-uber-manual.pdf

Volume knob controls preamp output and headphone output. When you plug headphones in, preamp mutes. So yeah, looks like what you want.