Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

ZDT showed torture as unpleasant but useful and arguably vital to taking down Osama. Given the evil, incompetent fucks that the real Maya, Alfreda Bikowsky, and her team were revealed to be (and the not-insignificant amount of evidence that ZDT was their attempt to put a positive spin on their actions before poo poo hit the fan), it's legit to criticise the movie for how it handled it.

It doesn't help that it glossed over the other intelligence operations that didn't involve torture that were the actual leads to OBL's location (There's corpses and blood on there, so watch out). That and the marketing doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Liar Lyre posted:

That hardcore evening gown match has to be seen to be believed. I don't expect everyone to have the WWE Network, so here's a clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tdOJw0AGqs

What's great about this is that it's so drat obvious this was only done because Vince has an awful sense of humor. He was the only person who found that poo poo funny and of course he'd cram it on a PPV. I love how you can tell JR is just barely containing his loathing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

e X posted:

PvP is dumb as it is in pen and paper, but attacking an another character basically immediately after character creation over dumb in-game poo poo is even dumber. Is there more to L5R, or is it just Weeaboo the Game?

As a long-time L5R player, none of that poo poo would have happened in our games. When I was a newbie player starting with people who had been playing for a long time, they helped me with those weird etiquette rules instead of using them as a trap. Heck, there's an Etiquette skill you can roll to see if your character would know these things! And there's also how they misinterpret rules to be maximum douches. Off the top of my head:
- The refuse three times things is for gifts. Tea should have been just fine.
- Duels to the Death need to be approved by both lords, because in Smaurai-land your life doesn't belong to you, but your lord. And any smart lord would have refused that duel because he didn't want to lose a good asset for such a stupid reason.

So yeah, the game they played is incidental, they were just a group of players who think killing a newbie on his first game is fun.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

MonsieurChoc posted:

So yeah, the game they played is incidental, they were just a group of players who think killing a newbie on his first game is fun.

I've never played L5R but I can't even comprehend being this much of a dick to somebody for no reason really. If somehow I was ever in the position of the duelist and had to defend my ~honor~ or whatever I'd go for wooden or blunted swords at worst to maybe teach the offender a lesson, give him a scar of some sort, etc. Not just loving straight up murder a guy, especially if it's his first character in the setting.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tracula posted:

I've never played L5R but I can't even comprehend being this much of a dick to somebody for no reason really. If somehow I was ever in the position of the duelist and had to defend my ~honor~ or whatever I'd go for wooden or blunted swords at worst to maybe teach the offender a lesson, give him a scar of some sort, etc. Not just loving straight up murder a guy, especially if it's his first character in the setting.

Welcome to the world of tabletop gaming, where you're basically playing russian roulette every time you try a new group!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I know I talked about it last thread, but Rollo T posted this twitter and god :drat:

Good on him for losing 120 pounds :gowron:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Ven Gethenien (Kyle's former title card artist and occasional supporting cast member) recounts the time the Channel Awesome leadership passive aggressively kicked her out the CA delegation lobbying against SOPA way back when for not being a producer. Or being from DC, or something.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Ghostpilot posted:

Here's MikeJ's Informericalism along with his Patreon.

And here's another that's not already on the list, Cecil Trachenburg with Good Bad Flicks with accompanying Patreon.

Cecil Trachenburg and his family were a victim of a home invasion last night. :ohdear:

http://www.gofundme.com/kp6tqo

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Puppy Time posted:

Welcome to the world of tabletop gaming, where you're basically playing russian roulette every time you try a new group!

Roll 1D6 to test for shoot-yourself-in-the-head.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Mars4523 posted:

Ven Gethenien (Kyle's former title card artist and occasional supporting cast member) recounts the time the Channel Awesome leadership passive aggressively kicked her out the CA delegation lobbying against SOPA way back when for not being a producer. Or being from DC, or something.

Joe went to Congress in costume? I like the guy for his goofball charm, that's pretty unprofessional. Are members of the public just allowed to go to congress, or do you have to be invited/jump through loads of hoops?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Joe went to Congress in costume? I like the guy for his goofball charm, that's pretty unprofessional. Are members of the public just allowed to go to congress, or do you have to be invited/jump through loads of hoops?

He did an anti-SOPA skit with Spoony on the capitol steps as Corporate Commander. And, yeah, I think it's actually quite easy for members of the public to get in to the capitol building and (try to) have face-to-face meetings with Congressmen/women and Senators. Immigration reform activists and DREAMers routinely pull stunts like sit-ins in or just outside of congressional offices to try and force legislators to meet with them. They're usually just dragged away by Capitol Police, but the point remains.

Though it sounds like Michaud and the Walkers had worked out this meeting with whatever legislators they were there to meet well in advance, so they were expected.

But yeah, if Joe actually went inside the US Capitol building and met with Lamar Alexander dressed like this, then that was incredibly tone deaf on his part. ...Even if Lamar Alexander is a colossal shithead who tables assholish bills like SOPA and doesn't deserve a tinker's drat of respect in 99% of all other circumstances.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

OldMemes posted:

Yeah I remember that being a big deal with some of the producers back at the time because Joe means well, but he is kind of dense some times when it comes to stuff like this. This was also around the time of the Geoff incident. All I remember is Lordkat saying how much an idiot Joe was on his stream at the time.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Didn't spoony make a vlog about how making that sketch was really awkward because they were basically surrounded by (American :v:) snipers?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Joe seems like a chill guy, but acting professional doesn't seem like its one of his strong suits.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
To be fair, Joe wasn't wearing the helmet, that's why his head was pixelated in the sketch. And once you take the cape and gloves off, something I'm hoping he did when going inside, it's just a suit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OldMemes posted:

The less quoted end of the 1st Amendment means congress has to deal with every Tom, Dick, and Harry who wants to talk about anything from SOPA to the illegal coverup of the Lizard People invasion.

quote:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

nine-gear crow posted:

But yeah, if Joe actually went inside the US Capitol building and met with Lamar Alexander dressed like this, then that was incredibly tone deaf on his part. ...Even if Lamar Alexander is a colossal shithead who tables assholish bills like SOPA and doesn't deserve a tinker's drat of respect in 99% of all other circumstances.

If he actually met with Lamar Alaxander dressed as and in full character as Cobra Commander, then he's doing god's work.

Unless you're rich, famous, or end up having an uber compelling story you aren't going to be meeting with a congressman on your lobby trip though. When you prowl the halls, going from office to office you talk with their staff. If the staff thinks your presentation is something the congressman would actually have some interest in then they might schedule you to actually meet with that congressman. Maybe.

From the description though it sounds like they hired/met with a professional lobbyist, so it's likely they at least met with chiefs of staff instead of the secretary though.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I really enjoyed the latest Prev_Recorded stream with Rich Evans's fiancee. It sorta shifted the dynamic a bit from "uninterested/contemptuous" to "Hey let's bounce words with someone who both seems to have fun with games and knows quite a fair bunch about this other stuff".

And from watching the previous ones, I'm kinda crossing my fingers that they don't go again to "This game is too slow or too simple, therefore the gaming industry is dead and you are all fanboys."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's why I don't like watching their streams or watch Previously Recorded because they come off as gaming snobs who have contempt for everyone except indie developers. They play a derivative indie pixel art platformer and they look for reasons to gush over it when they play something more mainstream they look for reasons to hate it. They constantly make fun of people who point out their biases. Their best stream was when they had everyone over to play some Mario Kart because of the reactions but when it's just Rich and Jack playing FTL or Isaac for the hundreth time interacting with the chat, it's just a boring slog.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jimbot posted:

That's why I don't like watching their streams or watch Previously Recorded because they come off as gaming snobs who have contempt for everyone except indie developers. They play a derivative indie pixel art platformer and they look for reasons to gush over it when they play something more mainstream they look for reasons to hate it.

Uh, they kind of absolutely loving trashed indie darling The Banner Saga (and having played it, they were pretty on-point, to the extend that Jack and I had the exact same "... am I Ubin?" moment). I've also actually played Titanfall, and again, their review of it was pretty much on point: the game just isn't viscerally fun. It's got a lot of inventive ideas, and cool bits, but it doesn't quite come together in the moment-to-moment gameplay. I have not seen their review of Alien: Isolation, and am not really planning to, since it does legit sound like they poo poo the bed there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's mainly during their streams. When they talk about games I usually just mute it and check back when Jay is around and start talking about TV shows or movies, that's usually when they're at their best.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Jimbot posted:

It's mainly during their streams. When they talk about games I usually just mute it and check back when Jay is around and start talking about TV shows or movies, that's usually when they're at their best.

most triple a games are mostly derivative trash and most indie titles are simple/small enough to ignore the derivative portions, and tend to have some piece of innovation or good design that overshadows the rest. hth.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jimbot posted:

Their best stream was when they had everyone over to play some Mario Kart because of the reactions but when it's just Rich and Jack playing FTL or Isaac for the hundreth time interacting with the chat, it's just a boring slog.

I missed this stream but I seem to remember in their review of Mario Kart 8 they said everyone hates played with Jack because he's so goddamn good nobody else has any fun at all.

senae posted:

most triple a games are mostly derivative trash and most indie titles are simple/small enough to ignore the derivative portions, and tend to have some piece of innovation or good design that overshadows the rest. hth.

I dunno, how many open world games are there with crafting elements these days? Or 8-bit styled platformers? Or roguelites? Just because something is derivative doesn't mean it's bad. I loved Darksiders for example and that was a mish-mash of God of War, Zelda, 40k and a few other things I'm forgetting.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 23, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

There's derivative trash in every form of media, it's just that for indie games it's common; but for AAA it's the norm.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

senae posted:

Most indie games are trash, hope this helps you hipster.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Games are trash, so let's get back to the topic at hand, online nerds critiquing trash pop culture

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Vicas posted:

this thread are trash

:agreed:

Now let me tell you about a YouTube celeb I found named pewdiepie....

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

StealthArcher posted:

Now let me tell you about a YouTube celeb I found named pewdiepie....

Serious question: can anyone explain to me what the appeal of PewDiePie is?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Metal Loaf posted:

10-15 year olds, which represent a massive amount of youtube's userbase

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kunster posted:

I really enjoyed the latest Prev_Recorded stream with Rich Evans's fiancee. It sorta shifted the dynamic a bit from "uninterested/contemptuous" to "Hey let's bounce words with someone who both seems to have fun with games and knows quite a fair bunch about this other stuff".

It's too bad she says she doesn't like bad movies, because I wouldn't mind seeing her as a Best of the Worst guest panelist.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Metal Loaf posted:

PewDiePie is comedic savant and MLG superstar compared to DarkSydePhil.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

ninjahedgehog posted:

PewDiePie is comedic savant and MLG superstar compared to DarkSydePhil.

So are we ranking the dregs of YouTube LPers now?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Metal Loaf posted:

Memetic language plays a huge role in Internet communication and as a result, hyperbole is pretty common. Piediepie's reaction are basically hyperbole put on film, so his reaction resonates very well with the way people communicate with each other online. When your reaction to Slender is 'SCARIEST GAME EVER' it's easy to enjoy a video that basically encapsulates that statement.

Honestly, it is really not that different from the Nostalgia Critic.

Edit: And I don't mean that as a critic or judgement, I just think that his fans, who basically grew up on Web 2.0 can actually identify really well with him. I mean, can you think of a better embodiment of ' I can't even'?

e X fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 24, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

Edit: And I don't mean that as a critic or judgement, I just think that his fans, who basically grew up on Web 2.0 can actually identify really well with him. I mean, can you think of a better embodiment of ' I can't even'?

If I've understood the term correctly, I'm fairly sure I grew up on Web 2.0 as well (the thing that got me into the Internet was joining Star Wars message boards in the summer of 2004 in anticipation of Revenge of the Sith; I was 13 then and I'm 23 now).

I don't know. Honestly, I have no idea. I just can't understand what's funny about it. I find that frustrating and I don't understand why. :shrug:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

KayTee posted:

Did you know that the favorite movie listed among EDL/BNP/National Front types over here is "This is England". This whole thing reminds me of that little factoid.

Wow, sounds like they really didn't understand This Is England. That movie didn't portray the racism as anything other than a bad thing, and had a pretty good contrast between the more moderate and racially diverse skinheads, and the full on neo-nazi styled skinheads. Much like how lots of people love Fight Club but really take Tyler Durden's ridiculous analysis of masculinity and anti-authority seriously, and think it'd be a great idea to have fight clubs. Then again...

KayTee posted:

If you think the core audience for this film is going to see anything much beyond "Kill the forrins" then I've got some depressing news for you: Humans are poo poo and also dumb.

Jay O posted:

You may also come away from the film with "what a boring slushpile of barely-directed nothing," but you know, Clint Eastwood movie.

Ugh, it's a Clint Eastwood movie? That explains a lot. Clint is TERRIBLE at making movies that don't star himself. Take Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, which cast John Cusack as some gape-mouthed boring nobody and yet made the whole movie revolve around him - and let's not forget J.Edgar, which took a very weird view of homosexuality (similar to The Imitation Game, actually!) i.e. a very sympathetic hand-wringing understanding of it. That sort of thing was acceptable and progressive in the 60s, when most movies and TV hadn't moved beyond comic relief effeminate guys and evil gay people - but nowadays, that sort of grovelling, cringing view of gay people just seems really out of touch.

Well, that aside - good luck with the new project Alison! I love the neon set. Great sets are always great fun, and since not everyone can do them, I totally appreciate one whenever I see it.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Infamous Sphere posted:

Wow, sounds like they really didn't understand This Is England. That movie didn't portray the racism as anything other than a bad thing, and had a pretty good contrast between the more moderate and racially diverse skinheads, and the full on neo-nazi styled skinheads.

To be fair: I suspect it's mostly just the title they like.

On the odd occasions you do get one of them who has actually watched the film and you get nuggets like this...

quote:

What, to you, symbolises Britain best?
Um, I'd say maybe St George's flag, partly because my favourite film is This Is England – it's about skinheads, but they're not really racist, because one of them is a black kid. They turn on him in the end, but because he was one of the gang they're not really racist. They just believe in what they believe in.

Also, FYI, Skinheads were music fans and alternate lifestyle types. The ones who use the image and run about seig-hailing are, officially, Boneheads. :pseudo: [1]

[1] Some old dude I got very drunk with one time.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 24, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Clint should make another movie starring himself and an Orangutan.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KayTee posted:

Also, FYI, Skinheads were music fans and alternate lifestyle types.

Traditionally inner-city working-class white guys who were fans of black music (if the liner notes on my deluxe edition of One Step Beyond are anything to go by) - soul music, reggae, ska and so on. A lot of the 2 Tone and Mod revival guys who became popular in the late 1970s (Madness, Bad Manners, the Specials etc) had been skinheads when they were kids in the 1960s.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
There were also Sharpies which are Skinheads Against Racial Prejudice. For the Australians here Magda Szubanski was a Sharpie and her Character Michelle was sort of inspired by that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=simatCov_SM

*edit. Actually there were apparently two entirely different groups of people called Sharps or Sharpies and they have no relation to each other whatsoever so just kindly ignore everything I just said. :)

Wrageowrapper fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 24, 2015

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Metal Loaf posted:

I always assumed it was the funny voice and the screaming. I'm not really a fan of his, but I kind of like watching Markiplier, who's known as kind of a Pewdiepie Lite, because watching him freak out at jumpscares in games is funny.

Some of us just like seeing dorks be dorky, even if it's objectively not that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jimbot posted:

when it's just Rich and Jack playing FTL or Isaac for the hundreth time interacting with the chat, it's just a boring slog.

excuse me but Jack and Rich playing FTL loving owns :getout:

• Locked thread