Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Nitori is a magic-engineer though, not a science-engineer. She talks about the river being alive (in a literal sense), and most of her tools are just water manipulation. Also, the kappa blew up a mountain because they were too lazy to build a dam. I mean, it isn't wrong for an engineer to use what works, and magic would surely be considered a science in the modern world, but I'd say she's mostly ignorant of what we'd call scientific terminology. Heck, she didn't even know that seawater had salt in it: that's how ignorant of the outside world and its progress she is.

More generally, Kanako describes the kappa (and the tengu) as "imitating the trappings of" the outside world, rather than doing anything with understanding. She's no more an engineer than Aya is a journalist. And Aya thinks the text of her articles is irrelevant.

Everyone in Gensokyo is just largely incompetent at there jobs in one way or another. The Moriya Shrine crew themselves are probably the exception as they have actually been successful at getting faith, though they did grant a dumb crow ultimate power and almost cause her to transform Gensokyo into another part of Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

HGH posted:

I've been following that scuffle for a bit now. While I don't really agree with what's happening, I think the Guidelines should really be reconsidered or be partly rewritten to take into account online and foreign distribution. Or at least be more concrete about those things. Times have changed.
I've seen a lot of developers and content creators go "We'd love to have our stuff on sale but the Guidelines forbid it".
That'll happen whenever ZUN's good and ready, but I imagine he's already got a lot on his plate. Trying to gaijin smash your way through isn't going to solve anything.

Jack Ratigan
Jan 26, 2005

...Ok
Speaking of Touhou Smash the devs posted another video update with a rundown on... the things :v:

http://youtu.be/0kgP_2oQ9Vs

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

leather fedora posted:

That'll happen whenever ZUN's good and ready, but I imagine he's already got a lot on his plate. Trying to gaijin smash your way through isn't going to solve anything.

Well I'm not saying DO IT DO IT DO IT NOW GIVE ME STUFF but a little word of approval or news would be nice is all. I mean, personally I don't think anything is actually gonna happen anytime soon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Everyone in Gensokyo is just largely incompetent at there jobs in one way or another. The Moriya Shrine crew themselves are probably the exception as they have actually been successful at getting faith, though they did grant a dumb crow ultimate power and almost cause her to transform Gensokyo into another part of Hell.

It was a risky investment, but the pay-off would have been worth it.

I wasn't really talking competence so much as mindset though. Nitori isn't going to have scientific terminology in her spellcards because she's only barely aware of what science is. Most of her cards have flashy English names that make them sound like toys, and reference general kappa stuff rather than science or engineering. Unlike, say, Yukari who likes to reference physics stuff with cards like "First Category Perpetual Motion Machine", "Laplace's Demon", "Border Between Particle and Wave", etc (the theme here being "impossible"). I mean, those are all pop science things that any casual enthusiast would know, but at least she's trying. If ZUN had wanted Nitori to reference science stuff he would have done so.

Also, Aya is totally competent, she just doesn't know what her job is.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010

HGH posted:

I've been following that scuffle for a bit now. While I don't really agree with what's happening, I think the Guidelines should really be reconsidered or be partly rewritten to take into account online and foreign distribution. Or at least be more concrete about those things. Times have changed.

I'm not sure how they could be much less unambiguous on this particular point. From Gensokyo.org's translation back in the day:

quote:

Sale of works in channels that are further reaching than the distribution channels used by the original works [are prohibited]. The original works are primarily sold in general doujin channels. So, please refrain from using download sales sites primarily oriented for overseas customers, etc.

And that's assuming that you're counting the site in question as an independent channel, rather than a commercial one, which is specifically prohibited unless you have permission. The guidelines say don't do it, so don't do it. What's wrong with coming up with a new setting and characters anyway? That's the fun part, isn't it?

Also:

Captain Invictus posted:

ZUN could probably become an easy millionaire by kickstarting the localization of touhou, since he's not making any money off of it in the west right now anyways and localization wouldn't be too much trouble to hire out to someone

I'd thought about this before - it's certainly the only independently owned thing I can think of that would get fans as crazy as, say, the Homestuck kickstarter - but I think most of the really big kickstarters thrive on at least the perception of exclusivity, the idea that they're offering something you won't otherwise get in the game market (a 2d adventure game, an old-fashioned RPG, etc). The Touhou games are already being produced on an annual basis and getting translated by the fans, so unless ZUN wanted to branch out into other genres like RPGs or adventure games then that sense of exclusivity wouldn't be there. Even then, there's the question of whether the doujin Touhou RPGs are already filling that niche. And I suspect that if ZUN wanted a Touhou VN or something like that to exist, it would exist already. A real Touhou kickstarter would definitely draw some crazy fans in (and for the right pitch I'd be one of them) but I doubt it'd go to the million level.

ikaragu fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 18, 2015

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Clarste posted:

Also, Aya is totally competent, she just doesn't know what her job is.

You know who's the only one that's competent and knows what her job is?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ikaragu posted:

I'd thought about this before - it's certainly the only independently owned thing I can think of that would get fans as crazy as, say, the Homestuck kickstarter - but I think most of the really big kickstarters thrive on at least the perception of exclusivity, the idea that they're offering something you won't otherwise get in the game market (a 2d adventure game, an old-fashioned RPG, etc). The Touhou games are already being produced on an annual basis and getting translated by the fans, so unless ZUN wanted to branch out into other genres like RPGs or adventure games then that sense of exclusivity wouldn't be there. And I suspect that if ZUN wanted a Touhou VN or something like that to exist, it would exist already.
Maybe in a world where all his possible backers were perfectly coldly logical, possessed of absolutely unerring judgement, and chose to act exclusively in their own self-interest, but reality isn't that cynical. There are all kinds of reasons to back a Kickstarter beyond how it will directly and measurably benefit you.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

You know who's the only one that's competent and knows what her job is?

Isn't she nominally the owner of her own magic store? Not doing too well on that front.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Isn't she nominally the owner of her own magic store? Not doing too well on that front.

Didn't the 3 fairies hire her once? I recall her job description being more "freelancer" than "shopkeeper". Not that she does that either.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pureauthor posted:

She calls it a "magic shop" but it's more "junk hoard that I don't actually want to sell, I just use that name to dodge taxes". More or less.

Also, Aya is obviously a gonzo journalist. Where's Dr. Sunshine?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ikaragu posted:

I'm not sure how they could be much less unambiguous on this particular point. From Gensokyo.org's translation back in the day:

And that's assuming that you're counting the site in question as an independent channel, rather than a commercial one, which is specifically prohibited unless you have permission. The guidelines say don't do it, so don't do it. What's wrong with coming up with a new setting and characters anyway? That's the fun part, isn't it?

It just feels like there's a lot of unspoken rules and grey areas. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.
I remember when the Koumajou Densetsu guys had their own sales section on their site and that basically got them shut down until they made it Japan only. It sure didn't seem primarily aimed for overseas markets though. Of course that was a lot of years ago and things have changed now, especially with stuff like Playism and such.

Also, this is anecdotal but I'm not a big fan of one part of that translation. My knowledge of Japanese is minimal but the word "commercial" that's used all over it irks me. It's more directly referring to companies really, specifically corporate stuff. Dunno how big a difference it makes but I'm sure it's something.
Anyway I'm not really concerned with this whole issue and just hope things get elaborated on some time in the future.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
There are some doujin music circles that make their stuff available for digital purchase on Melonbooks DL. I guess that goes against ZUN's guidelines, but I'm glad they do it. A digital purchase is so much cheaper than paying a proxy service to import the physical CD for you. I really hope ZUN takes a look at these guidelines again because I would love it if more Touhou music were available digitally, but obviously most circles aren't going to touch it as things stand.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Shiki and Komachi are competent at their jobs.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

KataraniSword posted:

She calls it a "magic shop" but it's more "junk hoard that I don't actually want to sell, I just use that name to dodge taxes". More or less.

Guess she picked that up from Rinnosuke.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

amuayse posted:

Shiki and Komachi are competent at their jobs.

Shiki is, and Komachi would be if she wasn't so drat lazy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Komachi is just a really good college student. She waits until the deadline, and then does everything at once perfectly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Komachi is just a really good college student. She waits until the deadline, and then does everything at once perfectly.

But since Komachi chooses her own hours the deadline is whenever Shiki shows up and yells at her.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

dranxis posted:

There are some doujin music circles that make their stuff available for digital purchase on Melonbooks DL. I guess that goes against ZUN's guidelines, but I'm glad they do it. A digital purchase is so much cheaper than paying a proxy service to import the physical CD for you. I really hope ZUN takes a look at these guidelines again because I would love it if more Touhou music were available digitally, but obviously most circles aren't going to touch it as things stand.

If Twilight Frontier can sell digital downloads of their non-official games through doujin channels (Melonbooks, Toranoana, DLSite and Surfer's Paradise), all other creators should be OK too. They started doing it since last November; many high profile fan game developers have had digital releases for years.

I admit to have not looked into the problem Koumajou Densetsu had.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Hmm. Looks like Touhou Smash's got the greenlight from Zun but they can't officially crowdfund to make their game. They're still getting unofficial donations anyways so :shrug: I'd donate if their models didn't look like rear end though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kgP_2oQ9Vs

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Clarste posted:

I'm not sure why you'd expect someone with the name "Scarlet" to be anything but English.

scarlet is a persisent mistranslation; her last name is actually the japanese homonym "iscariot". this refers to her direct descent from judas, the original scarlet devil. this is also why she lives in a mansion, wears a skullcap, drinks blood, etc

Jack Ratigan
Jan 26, 2005

...Ok

amuayse posted:

Hmm. Looks like Touhou Smash's got the greenlight from Zun but they can't officially crowdfund to make their game. They're still getting unofficial donations anyways so :shrug: I'd donate if their models didn't look like rear end though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kgP_2oQ9Vs

I think the models are.. ok-ish. They have a bad case of dead-eyed stare though. And bad haircuts. Colors need more pop, but that could just be lighting. And Sakuyas feet are a bit big.

Ok so there's more "-ish" than "ok" at the moment, but I'm always curious as to the endeavors of dedicated madmen. :pseudo:

Anyway, I always imagined the Scarlet, or Iscariot, or Scareto, or whathaveyou's as french because heavily french accented japanese sounds funny in my head.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

The BBC just got a very special write-in

Can you see it?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Well, Michael Jackson apparently showed up in Gensokyo right after he died, so it's not hard to believe Freddie Mercury got the same treatment.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
Speaking of strange crossovers, that A-Team comic from 2011 has finally been translated and it's a thing to behold:

Magic google string is "[Bushiteki Tamashii (MItsuki Yuuya)] Tokkou Yarou (9) Team (Touhou Project, The A-Team)"

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Hah, it's the same guy who did Wolverine Chen.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Oh ffs

Chikage Kinokorindou filed a C&D on danbooru, and I can't pixiv for the life of me.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Who?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
We need fanart samples to tell us how grave a loss this is.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

There's a quick sample.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
When I have a moment, I'll see if I can find their pixiv account for you.

Not that I refute ZUN's vision for the games, but there's no reason why at least half of the cast couldn't work as guys.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=1045717

RIP, they had hot guys.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Says right in his profile that he doesn't allow unauthorized copying/rehosting, so little surprise there. Not sure if that's a recent development though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

leather fedora posted:

When I have a moment, I'll see if I can find their pixiv account for you.

Not that I refute ZUN's vision for the games, but there's no reason why at least half of the cast couldn't work as guys.

Only half? I'd lowball it at 70-80%. My gut says 95, but I wouldn't bet on that.

Bishounen Aya is a great loss for those among us who use danbooru but can't pixiv for the life of me.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Now that's just mean, you jerk.

Tah for the pixiv link, lads.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

leather fedora posted:

I'd say almost all of them would work, in the driest and most mechanical sense, but I think the series would lose a lot overall. In terms of the representation of women in video games, ZUN's games are some of the best there are in both quantity and quality, and I think it would be real shame to lose that. Just speaking for myself, that's the only reason I still have any interest in, and continue to post in a forum thread about, a series I've played for maybe an hour in the past two years.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 21, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
My favorite fan artist is Onikobe Rin.Good quality Western style fanart of Touhou is quite rare.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Looks like there won't be Touhou Smash anymore

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

amuayse posted:

Looks like there won't be Touhou Smash anymore

Good, it belonged in a dumpster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU