Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maxmaps posted:

I hope female Kerbals counts as happily surprised!

Forum reaction mixed though!

Oh snap
Incredibly the Twitter response wasn't completely stupid, who knew?!

frank.club fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
There's a some shitheads in there but surprisingly unterrible overall. I only read a few pages though.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Hey Maxmaps, before I reply to that thread and throw rocks at the hornet's nest, Squad's art person/people are just that, right? Art and art alone?

e: \/\/ Basically the same thing. Not that it matters, though, someone closed it. :saddowns:

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 24, 2015

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Hey Maxmaps, before I reply to that thread and throw rocks at the hornet's nest, Squad's art person/people are just that, right? Art and art alone?

Art and animations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's my understanding that this has been one of the most requested features for awhile and now Squad is implementing it.

I fail to see the problem people on the forums have with that. Instead of an endless stream of little green men, we now get little green(?) women to sacrifice on the Altar of RUD too.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fermented Tinal posted:

It's my understanding that this has been one of the most requested features for awhile and now Squad is implementing it.

I fail to see the problem people on the forums have with that. Instead of an endless stream of little green men, we now get little green(?) women to sacrifice on the Altar of RUD too.
Nerds can't people.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Kerbal Space Program: 50 Percent Sororicide Environment

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
glad there wil be lady kerbs; now there'll be someone to make the tea and bring the biscuits for all my busy astronauts. phew!

seriously what the gently caress is up with nerds i mean ladies have been to space irl surely this wont break their autistic verisimilitude

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Fermented Tinal posted:

I fail to see the problem people on the forums have with that. Instead of an endless stream of little green men, we now get little green(?) women to sacrifice on the altar RUD too.
Well you see, it's competing with actual content for development time because division of labour isn't a real thing, and also they could totally be female already even though they all have masculine names and square jaws and buzzcuts, and furthermore *shits liquidiously*

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Well you see, it's competing for development time because division of labour isn't a real thing, and also they could totally be female already even though they all have masculine names and square jaws and buzzcuts, and furthermore *shits gratuitously*

So it's like the people who bitch about every Space Engineers patch because of Medieval Engineers development but instead of spaceships vs. catapults, it's little green squishy things vs. other little green squishy things?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Can anybody tell me where the parts for the Modular Kolonization mod should be appearing in the tech tree? I've unlocked everything up to and including the 500 science tier and don't think I've seen any parts for it yet.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You should have most of them by now, I can't remember where they all unlock, but there's a lot of parts in Advanced Construction iirc.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Welp.
(thanks)

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Well past time to introduce female Kerbals, glad it is finally getting done. Dunno if Project V (project vagina) was the best name for it though.

Ignore the neckbeards in the forums, they probably think 80% of people in STEM being male is a good thing

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Max I just want to post and say thanks for this update, it's a big step in the right direction.

Also that thread is amazing, like I needed even more reasons not to pay attention to FlowerChild.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I just stumbled upon 4chan's KSP thread.

Someone has a lot of patience.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Also lol @ someone suggesting transgendered Kerbals, because everyone knows that's a separate and distinct category from man and woman???

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

FlowerChild posted:

<face palm>

Never thought that Squad would cave to the ridiculous public pressure to have "females" of an alien species that could have been hermaphrodites for all we know.

Cheers to the community for pressuring Squad to waste their time on a non issue. Personally, I was hoping for the Van Allen radiation belt to be implemented in some way, but I guess we get "Valentina" instead :mad:

Yessssssss :shrek:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Also lol @ someone suggesting transgendered Kerbals, because everyone knows that's a separate and distinct category from man and woman???

I liked the big bold rainbow text someone replied to that suggestion with.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nth Doctor posted:

Can't wait until BTSM somehow ruins or suppresses them.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
On the subject of Valentina, have a horrifying webpage, courtesy of NASA: http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/whos_who_level1/tereshkova.html

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

TheCanadianVendingMachine posted:

Thing is about girls is that they are social beings. You can see this in schools around the first world. Where they are judging each-other constantly. Biologicaly they want to be the best mate for a male

these are some quality posts

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

On the subject of Valentina, have a horrifying webpage, courtesy of NASA: http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/whos_who_level1/tereshkova.html

that web design.
how the gently caress did these people send a man to the moon

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Oberleutnant posted:

that web design.
how the gently caress did these people send a man to the moon

Well, not with HTML apparently.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm not sure that smiley really manages to fully do him justice.

Flowerchild posted:

This has the potential to be rather weird, and open up a whole can of worms with regards to gender bias that didn't previously exist, having Squad making additional changes ad nauseum to address one complaint or another. What roles do the female Kerbals play within the space program? Do they visually reinforces gender stereotypes? Are they equally represented in both management and astronaut positions?

Previously, as far as I'm concerned, there was no gender issue in KSP. Now there potentially is one which can turn this into an ongoing issue.
Jesus. He really is a special little flower isn't he.
The very conspicuous lack of one gender “was not an issue”, but now that it's in, “it has the potential to get weird”. :bahgawd:

fauxbama
Jan 7, 2007

HAIL THE DARK EMPEROR! HAIL! HAIL!

Maxmaps posted:

I hope female Kerbals counts as happily surprised!

Forum reaction mixed though!

Max, big ups for building anticipation and revealing this.

I want to blow up on some people over on the official forums so badly right now, but I will get banned. gently caress FlowerChild

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

fauxbama posted:

I want to blow up on some people over on the official forums so badly right now, but I will get banned. gently caress FlowerChild

Just declare open season on anyone who disagrees with Squad in this regard. :unsmigghh:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Seriously, I am very happy this has finally come about. I'm trying to keep my niece's interest in space and STEM up, and hopefully this will help a little bit more. :D
Don't let the jackasses get you down Max.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FlowerChild lmao

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tippis posted:

The very conspicuous lack of one gender “was not an issue”, but now that it's in, “it has the potential to get weird”. :bahgawd:

Well, apparently some people see Kerbals as ungendered, some see them as male. But very few to none see them as specifically female. Obviously, lots are going to argue that they are ungendered currently so therefore it makes no sense to introduce gender. But since there is a significant group that sees them as male, that means there is in fact a potential problem that's better solved by introducing gender.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I wonder who's going to be the first to attempt to make a mod to eliminate this. :(

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
drat I thought Flowerchild was a big shithead because of his whiny, holier-than-thou mods for Minecraft and KSP, turns out he's a shithead in all aspects of life.

nielsm posted:

Well, apparently some people see Kerbals as ungendered, some see them as male. But very few to none see them as specifically female. Obviously, lots are going to argue that they are ungendered currently so therefore it makes no sense to introduce gender. But since there is a significant group that sees them as male, that means there is in fact a potential problem that's better solved by introducing gender.
They have male names, male voices, and male-pattern baldness. The people who claim they're ungendered are either disingenuous or oblivious.

fauxbama
Jan 7, 2007

The people who didn't see them as gendered were simply wrong. It doesn't matter what they think.

The fact that anyone could be against this is mind-boggling and infuriating.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

nielsm posted:

I noticed. It's the most pathetic attempt at something that's supposed to be an argument I've seen in a long time. Every last distinguishing feature about Kerbals is male — so calling them “ungendered” requires some pretty spectacular degrees of blindness, self-deception, or just plain old idiocy.

Regardless, it is utterly unconvincing, and if the reports in that thread are right, that post are being removed for accurately pointing out this blatant misogyny, then that's pretty sad too.

e: Oh, and how fun it is to see that old chestnut rolled out every time a a game is being made more coherent and logical: “Why are you adding [mainly art-based addition that improves the world building]?! You should fix [unspecified issue X] instead!” Because it's obviously always the same devs that do both things, and impossible to do both at once.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 24, 2015

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Well, to be fair, I think Squad intended Kerbals to be genderless, but it didn't turn out that way, and credit to them for actually resolving it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Was just about to post on how FC was already being a spergy shithead about the whole thing, see that goons have beaten me soundly. I know "male privilege" is something tossed around these days, but goddamned if reactions like these aren't shining proof that Yes, It's a Thing.

Now my little girl can see me launch female kerbals into orbit and get all excited about it. :3:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Still crossing my fingers for CollisionFX since we're getting an audio overhaul.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Woah, I picked a good time to hit the last page button. Good on you, Squad, this addition is long overdue. My mom has spent most of her career in Engineering fighting through a male-dominated old-boys club, and my sister just started a degree in engineering herself, so I appreciate that you're doing this and in your own small way normalizing women in science.

fauxbama
Jan 7, 2007

ObsessedWithKSP posted:

Squadcast Summary
Valentina design is not 100% final yet, not comfortable sharing it yet. However, we have beta plans to talk about! After SQ, a blog post will show a list of everything planned, kerbelles are among them. The basic idea is: no lipstick, same skin tone, rounder faces, slimmer bodies.. basically feminine versions of current kerbals. Kerbals were originally asexual, but they ended up masculine, so why why not keep things even, as space is for everyone

This release may take longer than previous ones due to the amount of content.

A lot of rebalancing and bugfixing, a lot of parts are going to be buffed and a lot of parts will be nerfed.

Aerodynamics update: it'll be on the realistic side of things, an atmo that is realistic is more predictable, you know how things will behave. Stock fairings are 100% confirmed. Wide LV are bad, but will still work, given enough thrust ad fuel (like real life)

Beta isn't so much about adding features, it's more about refining current things, like rebalancing systems that are currently.. existing, like aerodynamics. The problem, it's no realistic, you can't predict what will and won't fly, if you have a plane that looks like a plane, it'll be ok. First part is the drag model - instead of being based on mass (which is gone completely) it's based on shape on the ship (hello, fairings!). Part occlusion, like cargo bays and fairings, will help and it'll be based on part orientation as well (fuel tanks sideways create more drag), Mu will likely update with more news on how this drag model appears. Fairings will likely be procedural out of necessity!

Lift works currently not correctly, but in the update, it'll be generated on the square of velocity. Some wings may be more powerful which brings us to rebalancing everything and I mean everything. Every single data point in the game will need revising - because of the thinner atmosphere, in order to preserve a similar experience, we pick a point and rebalance around it. A different ΔV to places may appear. Spaceplanes is currently hard, but they shouldn't be impossible in beta - they'll still be hard. Right now, we have overlay tools - current mass etc, we want to add an overlay like a concave ([what?]), in the current state, there's a stable AoA and an unstable AoA - the stability overlay will define the boundary. You can still fly unstable crafts, but do not attempt unless your surname is Manley.

Tools for teaching newbies, adding upgrade to buildings - the craft stats app (mass, parts, weight) will be the engineers report. Such messages may be like "Hey, this craft is manned and has no parachutes!" Or "you have no way to store or generate power!". KerbalEDU helped with the ideas for this.

Different toggleable aero options - definitely maybe. No confirming or denying, just maybe.

Adding TimewarpTo - a new feature, currently implemented in KAC, when you set up a manoeuvre node, you can timewarp to that node. If you click at a point in the future of your orbit, you can warp to that point, KSP will warp as fast as you can to that particular point. No teleporting, just allowing time to align yourself to whatever etc so you have time to do stuff when you get to that point.

Career mode is almost complete, except for one thing - failure state. Now, you can lose the game - if you run out of funds/rep, you'll get fired as administrator because you're so drat awful. Oh well, gg, start a new save. ATM, you can't lose, but that's because you physically cannot. This will change though (though with the cheaty power of savefile editing, you can do anything! But shame on you though!).

Landing gears are terrible. The current plane landing gear are renamed the Mk1 landing gear, and PorkJet is adding new and bigger landing gear and wings. So, Squad are adding larger wings - wings that will make it "as easy to build an Mk3 plane as it is to build an Mk1 plane. Really really large wings. Huge is not an understatement".

Kerbal climber feature - kerbals can now climb over edges and small ledges, like at the top of a ladder.

Rebalance economic systems - currencies are out of whack, that will be curbed a little, again, thanks to Ted for the rebalancing.

New contract! Tourism contract - you take kerbals that don't do anything to certain places.

Sound overhaul! New sounds! A new sound when a contract is completed, the game basically needs to be more responsive, in short.

Deep space refuelling aka resources! Adding a new system and parts that collect matter from asteroids and bodies so you can process that to LF and O. How? A lot of existing assets, those ones made ages ago. Collaborator will be RoverDude! Basically, a version of Karbonite will be integrated into stock or rather "won't be dissimilar", is the phrase Max used.

Massive amount of bugfixes, including long standing ones. Also, currently, there's 3 tiers of the KSC. But wait, wasn't there another one? Another tier that could've been made better? Yes! Currently reworking 'that' tier to be included, as well as its mechanics and everything. The Barn Is Back! That should work particularly well

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108305-Squadcast-Summary-%2824-01-2015%29-The-Valentina-Edition

Sounds like the next update is going to be a hefty one. I'm excited!

*Note: I didn't write these notes, I just reposted them.

fauxbama fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

haveblue posted:

Can't wait until BTSM somehow ruins or suppresses them.

BTFK, image is an astrological venus with a red line through it.