Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Railgun-delivered capsule troops shot from offshore (SciFi comes in when you need to figure out the acceleration shock damping) with the capsule serving as an aeroshell to bleed off speed then landing by parachute, or trans-atmospheric insertion where you're in a craft that comes in from orbital speeds, opens up in the back, and the troops have to wear disposable ablative divesuits that keep them rigid until they slow to terminal velocity, so the back of the craft opens and they're zipped off an internal rack and the craft closes back up then boosts back into orbit.

There, some ridiculous SciFi poo poo that would work like paras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Grand Prize Winner posted:

That one was actually one William Forstchen. Who also co-wrote a book about the Nazis invading the US in 1947 with the help of Newt Gingrich.
Wait, was this a book Newt Gingrich helped co-write about Nazis invading, or a book about Newt Gingrich helping the Nazis invade? :confused:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rockopolis posted:

Wait, was this a book Newt Gingrich helped co-write about Nazis invading, or a book about Newt Gingrich helping the Nazis invade? :confused:

Gingrich was already four years old at the time, so it's not a totally implausible story.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

WWII US tank doctrine gets a lot of people very mad and furiously discussing some war like WWII, but fought on a featureless plain in a vacuum by individual tanks that drowns out better posting about early modern knitted nosebags.
Look dudes, I know a whole lot about fabric now, and I gotta share this with someone.

Edit: Actually, since fabric is cheap in the US and expensive in Germany, I hope to start up a little side thing selling cloth to my regiment. I'm still going to be pumping massive amounts of cash I don't have into my regrettable life decisions, but that and the part where some countries pay you to reenact should cover some of it.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 23, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That one was actually one William Forstchen. Who also co-wrote a book about the Nazis invading the US in 1947 with the help of Newt Gingrich.

Wasn't that the one where unknown Tennessean policeman Alvin York holds off a bunch of Nazi saboteurs?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Just have your soldiers be combat drones they can take g-forces.

War by first worlders has been getting more and more dehumanised over time, trying to shoehorn in heroic individual soldiers is going to be a losing proposition if you're trying to speculate on how it would turn out. So, I dunno, semi-autonomous combat drones that can be cleared to acquire targets by themselves, with a local human controller in some kind of power suit that can provide CnC at short range at a number of frequencies (to get around jamming), like radio, visible light, IR, maybe even audio.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

PittTheElder posted:

Unless your power armor is made of magic, this will never work. In order to have your guys not turn to goo inside their suits, you're going to need to slow down somehow. Propulsive landing would work, but you're going to need to it over a long period of time to spread the g-load, and then your guys are going to be just as vulnerable to counter fire in the period where they're decelerating to safe speeds, and in very complicated drop pods to boot. You might as well just run some sort of SEAD mission from orbit, and then land troops in more conventional landing craft, assuming you need to at all.

You clearly haven't watched enough sci-fi. The Spirits Within had a very clever version of a hard-drop, where the troops fired ablative semi-liquid landing pads at the ground to land on. They landed in the goo, which absorbed and sublimated their kinetic energy, and misted away. It was rad.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8amxx_final-fantasy-the-spirits-within-pa_webcam (Skip to 6:40)

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

I've got something that might interest you. I translated a minor part of Jozef Pilsudski's account of the 1920 war, wherein he harps about how much he hates trenches.

quote:

I underline the difference that, in my mind, must exist between a position and a trench, a position war and a trench war. While position warfare, as I had described it above, has been a thing of the past for long time now, trench warfare, lasting several long years over great expanses during the European war, has not only become commonly known, as tens of millions of people took part in it, but with its victories it had time to mould the heads and spirits of men and even create a unique military language. In 1914, at the beginning of the European war, the trench belonged exclusively to tactics, the method of conducting combat. Beside the rifle, every soldier carried into battle a shovel as an inseparable element of his equipage. And whether he was to defend against the enemy, or engage him in an offensive, he had to use that shovel as a means to fight. Thus, in the rapid movements and manoeuvres that opened the four-years-long great war, the trench was used everywhere, be it on the attack or on defence, but it was never assigned as the goal of great battles and it never barged into the field of strategy, which assigns those goals. Occasionally, thanks to its strength, its defensive strength, it took on the significance of a position, which name once referred to unique elements of terrain, bestowed by nature with defensive value – but even then it was merely an episode in the great struggles of million-man armies, who, until the end of 1914, would not abandon the main factor in victory – movement.

It was not until next year that in the fields of France and Belgium both enemies stood unmoving and powerless, halted opposite one another with a long, unbroken line of trenches. At that point, the trench, as an invincible blockade, victoriously broke out of the field of tactics and into strategy.

As a proud victor, it started to grow fat, to amass great delights, and demand from the war leaders, like a moloch, new and new sacrifices. So lines of trenches grew, one after another, forming entire labyrinths, where a new man upon arrival was like in an unknown city, where without a map, road signs, street names and constant inquiries one has to get lost. The trench demanded sacrifice of everyday human life. Soldiers made it their home, and great efforts of men were undertaken to make this unusual place into comfortable housing, good for work and rest. The new fetish of war required that everything a country at war had at its disposal be shackled to his chariot. Thus an engineer, not a mere infantryman, applied his technical knowledge there, and numerous factories provided huge amounts of construction material, which the trench absorbed. Like in a great city, wires ran in all directions, connecting headquarters and commanders, depots and warehouses, hospitals and stables. The trench grew fat, reinforced its power with every passing month, and ever so meticulously, ever so profoundly demolished and undid the force of the erstwhile winner of wars: movement and manoeuvre.

This is just a very brief fragment of his huge anti-trench rant, but I figured I might drop it over here now that I'm done translating it for other purposes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo, you're right! I have no idea why I confused him with Turtledove. My bad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kaal posted:

You clearly haven't watched enough sci-fi. The Spirits Within had a very clever version of a hard-drop, where the troops fired ablative semi-liquid landing pads at the ground to land on. They landed in the goo, which absorbed and sublimated their kinetic energy, and misted away. It was rad.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8amxx_final-fantasy-the-spirits-within-pa_webcam (Skip to 6:40)

Sure, but those dudes drop out of an aircraft moving at atmospheric speeds. A jump from near-orbital speeds, or even a high altitude Kittenger/Baumgartner/Eustace style jump, means you're going to be moving much, much faster.

Although I just realized that the correct answer is to not have them stop at ground level. Wearing the crazy future-armor, the troops should fire a fast projectile downwards, breaking up the ground below them, and then just plough through the ground to slow down, safely out of the way of enemy counter fire. Then jump jets to lift them out of the very large hole that would result.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
At that point why don't you have all your future drop troops do drops in future Bradleys which roll out of the crater guns blazing.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

HEY GAL posted:

Look dudes, I know a whole lot about fabric now, and I gotta share this with someone.

Edit: Actually, since fabric is cheap in the US and expensive in Germany, I hope to start up a little side thing selling cloth to my regiment. I'm still going to be pumping massive amounts of cash I don't have into my regrettable life decisions, but that and the part where some countries pay you to reenact should cover some of it.
What's the looting like?
Or, more seriously, do you only reenact battles, or do you do any of the crazy things mercenaries did, or trials? Or paperwork?

Phobophilia posted:

Just have your soldiers be combat drones they can take g-forces.

So, I dunno, semi-autonomous combat drones that can be cleared to acquire targets by themselves, with a local human controller in some kind of power suit that can provide CnC at short range at a number of frequencies (to get around jamming), like radio, visible light, IR, maybe even audio.
Musicians, flag drones, and brightly colored uniforms?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A swarm of attack drones dropping from orbit guided by heavy metal and stage lights. Hm...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The orbital-drop Gavin.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I read that, they didn't invade, they sent a strike team to attempt to kneecap the US atomic bomb project so they could get theirs out first.

I will say this, to its credit you can tell it really wants to make a political point but somehow manages to mostly avoid doing so each and every time you see it coming. Aside from allegedly the US considering sending combat troops to engage the Chinese Red Army (unlikely given Marshall's positive inclination towards the Chinese Communists).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rockopolis posted:

What's the looting like?
Or, more seriously, do you only reenact battles, or do you do any of the crazy things mercenaries did, or trials? Or paperwork?
Right now we reenact battles, but my Hauptmann--I guess technically Obrist Wachtmeister--wants to do a trial one day (he bought a stage harness so he thinks he can make it look like he's hanging a guy without actually hurting him). A friend of mine wants to learn how to be a Musterschreiber but since I'm the only one among us who knows how to read and write the script these guys used I'm teaching him, and that'll take a while. Step one is teaching him how to make pens and ink, which at the time he would have learned in college or earlier.

Edit: Well, most of these guys portray Protestants, and the literacy standards there are higher. That still doesn't mean their handwriting is pretty, though. I portray a college dropout, and the next thing I'm going to buy/make is a copy of Catullus. That's going in my backpack.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 24, 2015

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

the JJ posted:

Anyway he discusses 'helping trapped comrades' as one of the great motivators: relieving Bastogne, that sort of deal, and discusses airdrops in the context of generals deliberately cultivating that idea. He explicitly lists Arnhem and Dien Bien Phu as times when that went badly awry, of course, but yeah, he basically insinuated that the French were more or less challenging their regular ground troops to pick up their game and fight north to relieve the paras.

I recently read "The Last Valley," Martin Windrow's Dien Bien Phu book, and it got me feeling kind of angry. Overall it sounds like the French high command just kept committing more and more men to a battle in disadvantageous circumstances and daunting odds because a) giving up now would have been bad for the French political leadership and b) hey, you never know, maybe the Viet Minh will get tired and go home. Is there some better military logic to that battle that I'm missing? I get that it looked like a good spot until the Viet Minh got their artillery ranged on it, but after that, it seems like the first artillery impact should have caused their generals to either expedite a relief column or order a breakout and retreat.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rockopolis posted:

What's the looting like?

Musicians, flag drones, and brightly colored uniforms?

Like a laser communicator, or a rapid burst of high frequency sounds to ping the bots.

I suggested a number of short range communications methods because redundancy is a good thing and you'd expect your opponent to be jamming your communications.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Eej posted:

At that point why don't you have all your future drop troops do drops in future Bradleys which roll out of the crater guns blazing.
The correct answer is to jump out of a damaged landing ship, onto an enemy air-defence unit, punch it a bit and ride it down to the ground. Where it explodes and you're fine.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

I hope to start up a little side thing selling cloth to my regiment. I'm still going to be pumping massive amounts of cash I don't have into my regrettable life decisions, but that and the part where some countries pay you...should cover some of it.

Yes, this sounds like the authentic landsknecht mindset.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Yes, this sounds like the authentic landsknecht mindset.

What kind of scams are 30YW mercenaries most vulnerable to?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Alchenar posted:

The orbital-drop Gavin.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I recently read "The Last Valley," Martin Windrow's Dien Bien Phu book, and it got me feeling kind of angry. Overall it sounds like the French high command just kept committing more and more men to a battle in disadvantageous circumstances and daunting odds because a) giving up now would have been bad for the French political leadership and b) hey, you never know, maybe the Viet Minh will get tired and go home. Is there some better military logic to that battle that I'm missing? I get that it looked like a good spot until the Viet Minh got their artillery ranged on it, but after that, it seems like the first artillery impact should have caused their generals to either expedite a relief column or order a breakout and retreat.

Oh boy, the French high command and logic? I think you're not really clear on what kind of people you're dealing with here. Just please, don't look up the poo poo which happened in Algeria, or you'll start weeping tears of blood.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Is this rabbithole of infinite depth?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

they hung their tank nutz on the side.

(Yes, I know, but it sure as hell won't work as "armored fighting vehicle nutz")

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Is this rabbithole of infinite depth?

Yes and that's the joke I was making.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

The orbital-drop Gavin.

I'm honestly sticking to this name just because I like to imagine General Gavin as being Achievement Hunter Gavin.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

JcDent posted:

Also, Paras vs, Helos - helos are kind of succeptible to RPGs, 50cals and such and such. Plus, a big rear end helo convoy needs to cross a lot of space, full of enemy observers and such, and they have trouble with weather, altitude, etc.

Which is why the Marines pushed so hard for the V-22 Osprey. They can fly a longer distance, at altitude and relative high speed, then drop in and surprise the enemy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
People make fun of the Osprey for continuously killing its occupants but the fundamental mission is sound. Not sure if it'd stand up against a real SAM battery though.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

PittTheElder posted:

Although I just realized that the correct answer is to not have them stop at ground level. Wearing the crazy future-armor, the troops should fire a fast projectile downwards, breaking up the ground below them, and then just plough through the ground to slow down, safely out of the way of enemy counter fire. Then jump jets to lift them out of the very large hole that would result.

At this point why not just drop them on top of the enemy and literally squish them from orbit?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

/\ It's the only way to be sore.

Phobophilia posted:

People make fun of the Osprey for continuously killing its occupants but the fundamental mission is sound. Not sure if it'd stand up against a real SAM battery though.

Good thing those got taken out by tomahawks and wild weasel sorties the moment deployment orders went out. I've never been a student of current US military doctrine but I'm pretty sure the first objective is going to be air supremacy practically every time.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Animal posted:

Which is why the Marines pushed so hard for the V-22 Osprey. They can fly a longer distance, at altitude and relative high speed, then drop in and surprise the enemy.

they MUST run out of missiles eventually

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

What kind of scams are 30YW mercenaries most vulnerable to?
If their officers are douchebags (lol if) they'll charge them more than they should for supplies and food (sometimes you're not issued food, you have to buy it--guess whom from). The locals also sometimes overcharge them for poo poo, but that's just vengeance, since mercenaries' families will often try to engage in unauthorized commerce and attempt to undercut the guilds, or resell plunder back to the locals at a higher price.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 24, 2015

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Why don't they just build an aircraft that combines the qualities of F-35 and Osprey?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

INTJ Mastermind posted:

At this point why not just drop them on top of the enemy and literally squish them from orbit?

You can engineer a scenario where they have to take the facility intact. (hostages, nuclear weapons, economic facility you wish to regain control, etc.)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Why don't they just build an aircraft that combines the qualities of F-35 and Osprey?

You mean a VTOL jet dropship? It would be the most fuel inefficient thing ever created for no benefit. Turboprops are perfect for the task, the are jet engines with a shaft and a prop.

-edit- If you mean stealth, it would be very difficult to make a stealth dropship. Radar absorbent surfaces and a shape with a low radar signature can only go so far when the fuselage is ultimately a box to carry grunts.

Animal fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 24, 2015

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Animal posted:

You mean a VTOL jet dropship? It would be the most fuel inefficient thing ever created for no benefit. Turboprops are perfect for the task, the are jet engines with a shaft and a prop.

Maybe we could scale that back to a jet that can take off and land vertically, from the same ampihibious assault ships the Ospreys do.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nenonen posted:

Or we could save the time and just start shooting marines out of cannons, it'll be as combat effective.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Pornographic Memory posted:

Maybe we could scale that back to a jet that can take off and land vertically, from the same ampihibious assault ships the Ospreys do.

You mean... the F-35 itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Basically, the problem with VTOL is that you're relying on the engine for lift. Lift is most efficiently generated from moving air over lift surfaces (aka wings). Missiles don't care about this, and rely mostly on engine thrust for lift generation.

• Locked thread