Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jrodefeld posted:

This is incredibly stupid and intellectually lazy. Now if Hoppe or any other prominent libertarian was actually a provable racist and white supremacist who promoted hate, then I genuinely would not listen to things they have to say because they have defined themselves based on hate speech.

So, for instance, you are prepared to repudiate Rothbard for this reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Wolfsheim posted:

I totally missed this last bit. Wow. Add "actual wealth disparity" to the long list of things jrode knows nothing about.

I don't know, something tells me that the people who've inherited 4/5th of the wealth in the country are safe from pissing it all away on sports cars and caviar, regardless of whether or not they lack the entrepreneurial spirit of their parents.

I don't give a gently caress about "income inequality" in the abstract. What concerns me is whether someone earned their wealth through voluntary trade on the market or through coercion. The implication of the income inequality argument is that there is some ideal equality of material possessions that is just and desirable and they way to get there from here is to use coercive means to take property from those who have more and give it to those who have less.

For a libertarian, it is correct and proper to take property from someone and give it to another if and only if that property was stolen and the recipient of that redistributed property is the rightful owner.

Have you heard of Pareto's Law? This was discovered by the Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto who observed in 1906 that 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of the population. He did exhaustive studies of all the other European countries and found roughly the same thing. This is known as the 80/20 rule. Throughout recorded history the distribution of wealth among a society never seems to deviate much from this principle. And this is regardless of what sort of political and economic systems are in place.

But is such an unequal distribution of wealth just and fair? Pareto also found that for any given population of people, 20% contribute 80% of the productivity and output of the group. If people contribute more output than others, any rational concept of justice implies that they deserve a larger portion of the resultant wealth than those who contribute less.

Rothbard wrote that egalitarianism is a revolt against nature. People ARE unequal and there is nothing explicitly wrong with that. As I have said, it is HOW a person attains his wealth that is the critical point, not what the income "distribution" happens to be. If a person uses coercion and theft to attain wealth, then I agree that they don't deserve it and should be punished and their wealth confiscated and redistributed to those whom they stole from.

But the fact remains that the Pareto Distribution of wealth is almost like an iron law of nature, one that is observed in nearly every society even studied. No society has ever existed where there was anything close to total equality of income.

If 20% of a population are far more productive than 80%, it is natural that they will accumulate more wealth than the others. But in a market economy this extra productivity will uplift the group as a whole. The pie itself will grow and even the most idle and lazy among the population will reap the benefits to the total output and increased living standards that come from Capital accumulation and industrial progress.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Your underlying assumption is that that distribution is a result of a minority of people being more productive than a majority of people, when in fact it is the result of a small amount of people stealing from a large amount of people.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

jrodefeld posted:

If 20% of a population are far more productive than 80%,

They're not, dipshit.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

jrodefeld posted:

Have you heard of Pareto's Law? This was discovered by the Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto who observed in 1906 that 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of the population. He did exhaustive studies of all the other European countries and found roughly the same thing. This is known as the 80/20 rule. Throughout recorded history the distribution of wealth among a society never seems to deviate much from this principle. And this is regardless of what sort of political and economic systems are in place.

But is such an unequal distribution of wealth just and fair? Pareto also found that for any given population of people, 20% contribute 80% of the productivity and output of the group. If people contribute more output than others, any rational concept of justice implies that they deserve a larger portion of the resultant wealth than those who contribute less.

Are you kidding me? This statistic is so obviously bullshit I'm shocked even you are stupid enough to buy into it. Can you cite any empirical studies, not opinion pieces, that demonstrate this?

Edit: Accidentally removed relevant portion of quote

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 23, 2015

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

RuanGacho posted:

The market obviously provided employment for him.

Jrod if I could create a government job for you that compensated you four times as much as your best paying job and was funded by a grant from a private entrepreneur who wanted that job done, would you take it?

You know what? I'm going to take back some of my comments about "bureaucrats". My beef is not really with the average government contractor who is just trying to provide for this family. People have to survive in the system as it exists not as they would like it to be.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

But I can't accept claiming certain knowledge that ________________ without any proof whatsoever.

Yet you claim certain knowledge about all sorts of things that you know nothing about, without any proof whatsoever:

-- You claimed certain knowledge that private enterprise can never go to war because it is too risky with too little to gain, despite countless counterexamples
-- You claimed certain knowledge that there was a precedent for countless large foreign armies being repelled by disorganized tribes, despite no evidence of this
-- You claimed certain knowledge that HHH is definitely not a racist despite all of the quotes, citations, and evidence showing otherwise
-- You claimed certain knowledge that government spending and leaving the gold standard lengthened the Great Depression, despite all evidence to the contrary
-- You claimed certain knowledge that inflation is only "expansion of the money supply" and that self-defense is not a type of violence, despite being shown actual dictionary definitions of these terms that prove otherwise
-- You claimed certain knowledge that extreme wealth is extremely transitory, resulting in wealthy families quickly falling to the middle class, despite the existence of American dynasty families (the Hearsts, the Rockefellers, the Bushes, the Vanderbilts, etc) that have existed since the 1800s
-- You claimed certain knowledge that we were all secretly libertarians and just didn't realize it yet because we oppose the drug war, failing to recognize that progressives also oppose the drug war
-- You claimed certain knowledge that the growth of US medical spending was due solely to Medicare and Medicaid, despite these costs growing worldwide amid exponential advancement in medical treatment
-- You claimed certain knowledge that ancap libertopia would solve countless societal ills, yet when asked for proof you've thrown up your hands and stated that it's not your job to prove anything!
etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

jrodefeld posted:

They are no more productive that the 80% actually doing the work under them. There is no link to the 'productivity' of the wealthy, they do not produce, they have others produce FOR them.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

jrodefeld posted:

I don't give a gently caress about "income inequality" in the abstract. What concerns me is whether someone earned their wealth through voluntary trade on the market or through coercion. The implication of the income inequality argument is that there is some ideal equality of material possessions that is just and desirable and they way to get there from here is to use coercive means to take property from those who have more and give it to those who have less.

For a libertarian, it is correct and proper to take property from someone and give it to another if and only if that property was stolen and the recipient of that redistributed property is the rightful owner.

Rothbard wrote that egalitarianism is a revolt against nature. People ARE unequal and there is nothing explicitly wrong with that. As I have said, it is HOW a person attains his wealth that is the critical point, not what the income "distribution" happens to be. If a person uses coercion and theft to attain wealth, then I agree that they don't deserve it and should be punished and their wealth confiscated and redistributed to those whom they stole from.

But the fact remains that the Pareto Distribution of wealth is almost like an iron law of nature, one that is observed in nearly every society even studied. No society has ever existed where there was anything close to total equality of income.

If 20% of a population are far more productive than 80%, it is natural that they will accumulate more wealth than the others. But in a market economy this extra productivity will uplift the group as a whole. The pie itself will grow and even the most idle and lazy among the population will reap the benefits to the total output and increased living standards that come from Capital accumulation and industrial progress.

Much like power law distributions, the 80/20 thing appears common but often arises from attempts to force the data to fit that. Pareto did not make the claim you assert he did, certainly not that it was an "iron law". Go back and read him again.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I usually don't read jrodefeld's actual posts but I actually read that one through and it's mind-destroyingly stupid. No one can be that deluded without a serious learning disability or impairment. I'm not trying to insult jrodefeld or call him "retaded" but after reading more of his posts in the thread I absolutely think he has to be suffering from something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

I usually don't read jrodefeld's actual posts but I actually read that one through and it's mind-destroyingly stupid. No one can be that deluded without a serious learning disability or impairment. I'm not trying to insult jrodefeld or call him "retaded" but after reading more of his posts in the thread I absolutely think he has to be suffering from something.

Pseudointellectualism is a hell of a drug.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrod, your most recent post boils down so easily

jrodefeld posted:

I don't give a gently caress about "income inequality"

That's it, that's all you had to say to get your entire point across. We already know that you think that taxes are theft, stealing from the rich people who earned it and giving it to the poor leeches on welfare. We already know that you believe in the Just World fallacy, that people have what they deserve to have.

The problem is that the game was rigged in the late 1800s, and that was the economic situation that produced the 80/20 rule in the early 1900s. You complain about crony capitalism, yet you don't complain about how it effects the 80/20 rule? Why would you support a system where activities that strangle a free market and actual violence was used to stomp out competition?

The fact of the matter is that the 80/20 rule is not an ironclad law, but the fact that you want it to be is telling

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Wow, VitalSigns really did call it. You won't accept any evidence of Hoppe's racism unless he has statements that explicitly express overtly racist sentiments. Jrode, we both know that Hoppe is not a stupid man, and is intelligent enough to not make obvious gaffes beyond his offensive remarks regarding homosexuals which got him in some trouble with his university. It is not a leap to take his peculiar models of property rights and their enforcement and combine them with his obvious associations with racial realists and similar degenerate intellectuals and come to the conclusion that he may be hostile to other races in outcome if not intent. Although, let's be honest it is probably intent too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

jrod, your most recent post boils down so easily

That's it, that's all you had to say to get your entire point across. We already know that you think that taxes are theft, stealing from the rich people who earned it and giving it to the poor leeches on welfare. We already know that you believe in the Just World fallacy, that people have what they deserve to have.

The problem is that the game was rigged in the late 1800s, and that was the economic situation that produced the 80/20 rule in the early 1900s. You complain about crony capitalism, yet you don't complain about how it effects the 80/20 rule? Why would you support a system where activities that strangle a free market and actual violence was used to stomp out competition?

The fact of the matter is that the 80/20 rule is not an ironclad law, but the fact that you want it to be is telling

Seriously, Jrod:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Labor_Wars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain

You speak of 'Aggression', but you fail to notice the historical records of PHYSICAL aggression that workers suffered under in the 1800s and early 1900s.

Seriously, you are a terrible person.

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

Malleum posted:

What was that about jrod not being a racist? Because he's being pretty loving racist right now.

No I'm not. I'm saying that I don't think there is sufficient evidence to accuse Hoppe of racism. I didn't advocate or reject any policy or positions but rather I explained what I think Hoppe and libertarians such as him mean when they make certain statements.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jrodefeld posted:

No I'm not. I'm saying that I don't think there is sufficient evidence to accuse Hoppe of racism. I didn't advocate or reject any policy or positions but rather I explained what I think Hoppe and libertarians such as him mean when they make certain statements.

He hangs out and HOSTS white supremacists. You dense mutherfucker.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

You know what? I'm going to take back some of my comments about "bureaucrats". My beef is not really with the average government contractor who is just trying to provide for this family. People have to survive in the system as it exists not as they would like it to be.

I.e. Yes you would take that job, morality of working for the great Satan be damned.

Sorry to keep on with "you didn't answer this!" (Though you should answer the medicine/elasticity thing first) but: is the state an unfortunate thing we had to go through to get to libertarianism/ancapism, or is the state an aberration? Not a 'gotcha', I don't have a planned follow-up, I'm jut curious as to your view.
E: drat you phone posting!

Igiari fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 23, 2015

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

paragon1 posted:

Black people are only "statistically likely to increase the crime rate" due to racist as all hell housing policies and because the racist as hell police investigate them a billion times more than white people

I don't think Hoppe said that blacks are likely to increase the crime rate. What he said was people would be within their rights to discriminate against people for a variety of reasons based on who statistically tend to increase the crime rate and decrease home values.

I agree that housing policies and police policy have been totally racist and unjust. No argument there. But that has nothing to do with this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jrodefeld posted:

I don't think Hoppe said that blacks are likely to increase the crime rate. What he said was people would be within their rights to discriminate against people for a variety of reasons based on who statistically tend to increase the crime rate and decrease home values.

I agree that housing policies and police policy have been totally racist and unjust. No argument there. But that has nothing to do with this point.

quote:

The current situation in the United States and in Western Europe has nothing whatsoever to do with “free” immigration. It is forced integration, plain and simple, and forced integration is the predictable outcome of democratic one-man-one-vote rule. Abolishing forced integration requires the de-democratization of society and ultimately the abolition of democracy. More specifically, the power to admit or exclude should be stripped from the hands of the central government and reassigned to the states, provinces, cities, towns, villages, residential districts, and ultimately to private property owners and their voluntary associations. The means to achieve this goal are decentralization and secession (both inherently undemocratic, and antimajoritarian). One would be well on the way toward a restoration of the freedom of association and exclusion as is implied in the idea and institution of private property, and much of the social strife currently caused by forced integration would disappear, if only towns and villages could and would do what they did as a matter of course until well into the nineteenth century in Europe and the United States: to post signs regarding entrance requirements to the town, and once in town for entering specific pieces of property (no beggars, bums, or homeless, but also no Moslems, Hindus, Jews, Catholics, etc.); to expel as trespassers those who do not fulfill these requirements [...]

[T]rue libertarians cannot emphasize enough [...] that the restoration of private property rights and laissez-faire economics implies a sharp and drastic increase in social “discrimination” and will swiftly eliminate most if not all of the multi-cultural-egalitarian life style experiments so close to the heart of left libertarians.

Furthermore, insurers would also be particularly interested in gathering information on potential (not yet committed and known) crimes and aggressors, and this would lead to a fundamental overhaul of and improvement in current — statist — crime statistics. In order to predict the future incidence of crime and thus calculate its current price (premium), insurers would correlate the frequency, description, and character of crimes and criminals with the social surroundings in which they occur and operate. And always under competitive pressure, they would develop and continually refine an elaborate system of demographic and social crime indicators. That is, every neighborhood would be described, and its risk assessed, in terms of a multitude of crime indicators, such as the composition of the inhabitants’ sexes, age groups, races, nationalities, ethnicities, religions, languages, professions, and incomes. [...]

Unlike states, [insurers] could and would not want to disregard the discriminating inclinations among the insured towards immigrants. To the contrary, even more so than any one of their clients, insurers would be interested in discrimination, i.e., in admitting only those immigrants whose presence adds to a lower crime risk and increased property values and in excluding those whose presence leads to a higher risk and lower property values. That is, rather than eliminating discrimination, insurers would rationalize and perfect its practice.

- Democracy, The Failed God

You are dense as hell.

These are LITERALLY the talking points for white supremacist groups and racists. IN HIS OWN WORD.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 23, 2015

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Self-selected Natural Elite King Abdullah of House Saudpassed away at 90. All those free-thinkers who see the folly of democracy and admire his commitment to the ability to discriminate are sure to mourn him greatly.

I'm curious if Jrod will just lump him in as anoither filthy statist, despite the whole country being basically a private feud. Old Man Saud mixed his labor with it nice and good, so now it belongs to his offsprings in perpetuity, and anyone who disagress can just keep walking and found their own covenant community.

Ready to defend someone who really wore the 80-20% shirt, as you understand it, J?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

paragon1 posted:

Answer it you loving quarter of man.

TLM3101 posted:

Hello again, Jrode. Is it that time again?

Glad to see the good fight is still being fought almost three months after I made this post.

Jrode, I'm still interested in having this healthcare/elasticity discussion if you want. Given that demand for healthcare is inelastic, and individual willingness to pay is nearly infinite, what market forces will prevent medical practitioners from colluding to raise the cost of medical care significantly?

Or, you could also just admit you are wrong on this issue, which would be much easier than attempting to alter the fabric of reality through deep praxeological magickes.

:ssh:OR you could STILL keep responding to ad-hominem arguments about racism that have nothing to do with the validity of your ideas, and reposting mises articles with minor alterations, instead of actually trying to generate a thought of your own

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 23, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

Honest question, but do you suspect he might be racist? I mean... lets use this as an example:

It is a duck analogy.

Now lets say I tell you that is a picture of a duck. It sure looks like a duck, it has ducklike features and when you google the word duck this comes up... but is it really a duck? I mean really honestly? Have you DNA tested it vs some... I dunno, genetic duck exemplar to prove that it is in fact a duck? Is there sufficient evidence to call this a picture of a duck?

Of course there is!

Hoppe is no different, there are mountains of evidece that you are willfully ignoring because it doesn't absolutely, DNA evidence style prove that hoppe is a racist. So you know what, lets go with a different tact. Do you think it is reasonable of us to assume, based on his association with white supremecists, his distaste for desegregation or his talks about Natural Social Elites and so forth that he is probably racist. Is it reasonable for us to assume even if we cannot prove beyond a laser focused doubt?

Oh, and while I'm at it, here is what Hoppe has to say about the topic:

quote:

Dr. Hans-Hermann Hoppe: I once deviated from my principle not to speak about my work until it was done. I have regretted this deviation. It was a mistake that I won't repeat. As for books, I recommend above all reading the major works of my two masters, Ludwig von Mises and Murray Rothbard, not just once, but repeatedly from time to time. Their work is still unsurpassed and will remain so for a long time to come. As for websites, I go most regularly to mises.org and to lewrockwell.com. As for other sites: I have been called an extremist, a reactionary, a revisionist, an elitist, a supremacist, a racist, a homophobe, an anti-Semite, a right-winger, a theocrat, a godless cynic, a fascist and, of course, a must for every German, a Nazi. So, it should be expected that I have a foible for politically "incorrect" sites that every "modern," "decent," "civilized," "tolerant," and "enlightened" man is supposed to ignore and avoid.

To this I would add that personally I find people who have not attracted at least one or two of these labels typically bores, and those, who have attracted most or all of them, the most interesting conversation partners. I also have occasionally started speeches "outing" myself from the outset as all of these "bad" and politically incorrect names, the whole shebang, to make clear that I did not want to talk about labels and names but about substantive issues, whether empirical or logical ones, and so forestall the otherwise inevitably following "dumb questions": "So, in what you are saying, aren't you then an ABC or XYZ? What an outrage! Buh!"

I personally worry about anyone who is bored by meeting someone who hasn't been called a racist, revisionist, extremist, homophobe etc. Hoppe is most interested in hanging around with people who have been called all of those things, which is no surprise. What I find more interesting is that Hoppe apparently starts his speeches by pointing out he is a racist. Do you think that Hoppe opening his speeches by saying he is a Racist, Homophobic anti semite perhaps suggests anything?

Of course not.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
If the landholders of the domain happen to come to the conclusion that their black population (10% of the local population and largely landless) need to be expelled from the land when they form the community covenant on Libertopia Day Zero this is apparently just property rights being enforced regardless of the motivations of said landholders. Is this an accurate statement, jrodefeld?

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 23, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

If the landholders of the domain happen to come to the conclusion that their black population (10% of the local population and largely landless) need to be expelled from the land when they form the community covenant on Libertopia Day Zero this is apparently just property rights being enforced regardless of the motivations of said landholders. Is this an statement, jrodefeld?

Approved and proposed by HHH himself!

Also: Jews, Catholics, Athiests, etc.

The poor :smuggo:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 23, 2015

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
I hope the free market grinds you into the dust jrod

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Not the 80/20 rule, god. Only bullshit management consultants use that. The Pareto Principal is just a power law distribution. Pareto himself never suggested that this was evidence of productivity, that was a much later invention. Pareto was enamored with the idea of a natural law of social elites. That's why fascists love him so much.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 23, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Jrod, please acknowledge the quotes from HHH's own book, and explain. I seriously need a laugh.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Political Whores posted:

Not the 80/20 rule, god. Only bullshit management consultants use that. The Pareto Principal is just a power law distribution. Pareto himself never suggested that this was evidence of productivity, that was a much later invention.

What's this? Jrod blatantly misrepresented something, either from lazy ignorance, intellectual dishonesty, or both? I need to sit down, this is blowing my mind.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

jrodefeld posted:

You're wrong, but I'm afraid you've also missed the point. I wasn't specifically talking about the injustice of wealth inequality here, I was talking about how the wealthy literally own so much that your belief that the majority of wealth is transitory is transparently false just by looking at the numbers. If you're born a multimillionaire, you're almost certainly not going to lose it anytime soon because the system was designed to allow you to continue easily hoarding wealth. You don't have to be the brilliant inventor your grandfather was when you own half the country and all the laws are on your side.

CommieGIR posted:

He hangs out and HOSTS white supremacists. You dense mutherfucker.

Look, he would've been just as happy to associate with and promote Black Panthers in the interests of open debate, it's just a coincidence that he didn't invite any and that only white supremacists seem to feature heavily in events he sponsors. It's also a coincidence that he only either discusses his philosophy in the abstract or applies it to keeping out undesirable minorities.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wolfsheim posted:

Look, he would've been just as happy to associate with and promote Black Panthers in the interests of open debate, it's just a coincidence that he didn't invite any and that only white supremacists seem to feature heavily in events he sponsors. It's also a coincidence that he only either discusses his philosophy in the abstract or applies it to keeping out undesirable minorities.

Its not that he dislikes the Black Panthers, he just finds sharing the same viewpoint as the KKK more agreeable to his palate.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

What's this? Jrod blatantly misrepresented something, either from lazy ignorance, intellectual dishonesty, or both? I need to sit down, this is blowing my mind.

All of the records Pareto studied were literally from feudal through to capitalist European societies. From this he derived his idiotic axiom of social ordering. Pareto was an rear end in a top hat but did contribute a lot to economic thinking, however some of his beliefs are pretty in keeping with Jrod, the only difference is that Pareto was more open about how little he cared about the poor:

This is from Benoit Mandelbrot's Misbehaviour of Markets:

quote:

That something, though expressed in a neat equation, is harsh and Darwinian, in Pareto’s view. At the very bottom of the wealth curve, he wrote,
men and women starve and children die young. In the broad middle of the curve all is turmoil and motion: people rising and falling, climbing by talent
or luck and falling by alcoholism, tuberculosis, or other forms of unfitness. At the very narrow top sit the elite of the elite, who control wealth and
power for a time—until they are unseated through revolution or upheaval by a new aristocratic class. There is no progress in human history.
Democracy is a fraud. Human nature is primitive, emotional, unyielding. The smarter, abler, stronger, and shrewder take the lion’s share. The weak
starve, lest society become degenerate: One can, Pareto wrote, “compare the social body to the human body, which will promptly perish if
prevented from eliminating toxins.” Inflammatory stuff—and it burned Pareto’s reputation. At his death in 1923, Italian fascists were beatifying him,
republicans demonizing him. British philosopher Karl Popper called him the “theoretician of totalitarianism.”

Mandelbrot explains it pretty well

quote:

Pick a group of people to study—say, everybody making more than the U.S. government’s $5.15 minimum hourly wage,
or $10,712 a year. Now ask: What percentage of people earn at least ten times that? According to Pareto’s formula, the answer should be 3.2
percent. Now go higher up the moneyed classes: What proportion of those above minimum wage is earning more than $1.07 million? Answer: 0.1
percent. And once more: What proportion earns more than $10.7 million, a thousand times the minimum? Answer: 0.003 percent—a very small
number, indeed. Look at it another way, through the lens of what mathematicians call conditional probability. That is a fancy term for a
straightforward concept: Given a starting condition, what is the probability that some event will happen? The absolute odds of being a billionaire are
very low; but according to Pareto’s formula, the conditional probability of making a billion dollars once you have made half a billion is the same as
that of making a million once you have made half a million. Money begets money, power makes power. Unfair, but true—both socially and
mathematically.

As it turned out, Pareto’s calculations were hobbled by the limitations of his data. His formula works only when looking at the very rich. He was
also handicapped by his excessive hope of finding a universal law, for all countries and ages. Just as Zipf thought that for word frequencies alpha is
always 1 —which it is not—Pareto thought that for income it was the same in every state—which it is not, either. In most cases, he underestimated
alpha, which appears to be closer to 2 than 3/2—meaning millionaires are rarer than he thought. But his basic observation of a power-law
relationship between income and population was insightful. At its core is the observation that, in a society, a very few people are outrageously rich,
a small number are very rich, and the vast bulk of people are middling or poor. The alpha in Pareto’s formula is just a way of quantifying exactly how
inequitable the society is.

It's ridiculous to think it's a universal law beyond basic math. It's been turned into a bunch of idiotic rules of thumb by business executives and management consultants.

E: Also Jrod, the fact that you tried to quote this makes you a bad person, and proves how disingenuous everything you say about caring for the poor and downtrodden is. LIbertarianism is a cancer on society, you have convinced me of this.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 23, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

jrodefeld posted:

Don't lie to us, jrod. We aren't stupid, and you will not for a single second actually excuse or exempt anyone who dares take a dime of taxpayer's money from being anything other than pure evil. Now, I know you'll object and say that this isn't true and you might even believe that it isn't, but I assure you that you're wrong. How can you be wrong about your own thoughts and feelings? Well, I'll tell you. The reason is simple: you don't believe people who work for the government are actually people at all.

You have completely dehumanized government employees in your own mind, as evidenced by your language. You hiss out the word "bureaucrat" in the same disgusted manner most people reserve for saying "pedophile". Even the word choice itself is telling, it's meant to reduce people to nonentities, faceless yet malevolent unthinking drones working witlessly at the behest of the overmind known simply as "the state". It's a fabrication deliberately constructed by the libertarian philosophers you try to emulate. It's easy to hate and despise someone you don't know or have never met, and easier yet to hate something that isn't even human at all.

Ask yourself, outside of Libertarian writings, have you ever heard anyone refer to a government employee as a bureaucrat? My wife works for the State of Michigan, but her Position Description doesn't have that word anywhere in it. Nor does she work with a single bureaucrat, rather she works with Field Rangers, Conservation Officers, Park Services Liaisons, etc. You also refer to government employees only as a plurality, another dehumanizing tactic that strips away the ability for an individual to exist.

RuanGroucho forced you, and probably for the first time, to actually reconcile the idea that bureaucrats are made up of individual people. He is one singular person directly addressing you after all, so you couldn't reduce him to a non-entity like you usually do when discussing government employees. And this made you uncomfortable which is why you preface your response to him by admiting that what you were about to say would sound pretty drat awful, because you understood that he as an individual couldn't be held responsible for all the supposed evils of the government. And yet you did anyway, all but accusing him of personally holding a gun to some person's head in order to take their wallets as his paycheck.

Now obviously that's pretty drat insane, not to mention immoral, to accuse him of that. Not to mention ironic since you won't entertain the notion that one of your heroes is a racist but you'll say Ruan is an awful human being with certainty. But even someone so deeply brainwashed as you was able to realize that. So you gave this halfhearted reversal of your position. But I guaran-loving-tee that in less than three months time you will be using the exact same language to say the exact same things. Because you aren't honest and more importantly because dehumanizing the State is necessary for you ideology to even function. Hopefully someday you'll realize this because that'll likely be your first step towards realizing how abhorrent and morally bankrupt libertarianism really is.

Edit: clarity and typo cleanup

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 23, 2015

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Who What Now posted:

jrod, you mentioned several times during your posts last night that you hold debate to high importance, especially when it comes to discussing issues like the ones being brought up. So have you considered taking up the offers to have a live debate? I know Caros has a standing offer to debate you on healthcare and I want to debate you on whether or not the Non-Aggression Principal is moral. I'll reiterate that I'm willing to let you choose the style of the debate, either free form or structured with opening statements, rebuttals, timed question segments, and closing statements. I'll even allow you to pick the moderators, if any. I'm willing to give you literally every advantage, and I'm willingness to bet Caros would to.

I'd also like to extend an offer to debate whether or not taxation is theft and/or force. I'm confident I'd be able to make the case that it is not in a manner you would not be able to refute without taking several hours to scour mises.org.

You are, of course, allowed to ignore this and continue to be an intellectual coward. You do have the freedom, to be sure.

Nolanar posted:

If you really do want to have a substantial debate on other topics, here's a short summary of debate topics I would love to get into with you. Most have been brought up in the thread previously.

• Healthcare is a commodity with inelastic demand. If I need an MRI to find my brain tumor and it costs $3,000, I'll pay for one. If it costs $30,000, I'll pay for one. If it costs $3, I'll still only pay for one. The only upper limit on how much I'll pay to stay alive is how much money I actually have. So why would companies charge any less?
  • You have stated that our human rights are extrapolated from self-ownership. If I own myself, can I transfer that ownership to someone else? Can I sell myself into slavery and thereby lose my basic human rights?
  • If your philosophy is logically derived from the axiom that Humans Act, how do minarchists and an-caps come to directly opposite conclusions about the legitimacy of the state?
  • It is self-evident that Animals Act, in that they take deliberate actions toward specific goals. Can I derive a system of Austrian Ecology from this? Or is animal action substantially different than human action, and if so, how?
  • If it is impossible for war to be waged for profit without chartalist "fiat" currency (or to be more generous, without a state), how do you explain the Vikings, or the Homeric-era warrior bands, or the germanic tribes that sacked Rome, or the British East India Company, or the Pinkertons?
  • In Libertopia, what will prevent states from re-forming? More precisely, what would prevent states from forming that didn't prevent them from doing so the first time? What has changed (or would change I guess) about fundamental human nature?
  • How do you effectively launch a competitor to a company with a natural monopoly? That is, a company like a power plant or a telecom, where being remotely effective would require an unfathomable down payment to build the requisite infrastructure.
  • If I don't believe a private police-court system is legitimate, and they arrest and imprison me anyway because I allegedly burned my neighbor's house down, is that arrest legitimate despite my lack of consent to their terms?
  • Assuming that Libertopia functions perfectly for a generation and the Natural Social Elites become the rich and powerful, what happens when they die and their sons take over, and what happens if their sons are a bunch of spoiled idiots? They hold the power, and they're all friends due to going to private school together. How do you break that up?
  • Why are property rights fundamental?

Choose as many or as few of these as you want. I'll be more than happy to write a summary post for each one outlining them in detail. If you actually respond to this, I promise I'll even refrain from insulting you for the entirety of the summary posts! That's an offer I don't make lightly.

Just a reminder for jrod in case these get lost in the shuffle: there are several of us offering to have good-faith discussions with you over things other than how racist your idols are! It is a shame that you somehow accidentally missed them in favor of responding to low hanging fruit.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Libertarianism of this variety is in the same vein as bullshit conspiracy theories, a kind of bizarre form of pseudo-intellectualism that gets off on :smugdog:ing about secretly getting what the sheeple don't, and also relies on the belief that in the event of anarchy one would be the sort of ubermensch to prevail.

In short, it rests on vanity, and is fairly impervious for that reason.

Also, there should be a debate thread, sounds great.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

jrodefeld posted:

The thing is that I know enough about libertarian literature and philosophy to understand that these phrases are NOT the dog whistles you think they are. Libertarians like Hoppe hold private property rights to be sacrosanct and the cornerstone of their system of ethics. If a libertarian society ended up with private property owners discriminating against whites or against Catholics or against almost nobody, it wouldn't matter according to libertarian principles. I'm sure Hoppe would defend the rights of private property owners to allow whoever these please on their property and to reject anyone they please.

It's not as if Hoppe will end up saying "drat it, this libertarian private property rights society didn't end up being as racist against blacks as I hoped and thought it would. I'll have to reject this silly property rights theory and instead favor enforced segregation and discrimination."

You and I both know he would never say such a thing. It is the first principles of self ownership and private property which Hoppe uses to deduce his political philosophy. Of course he has an aversion to political correctness so he doesn't take effort to make his points in the most diplomatic of ways.

Another point is that he lived in Germany and only immigrated to the United States in the 1980s so he never had any direct experience with the Jim Crow South or the sort of segregation that was rampant. His views therefore on the rights of discrimination can and should be sharply separated from the unique experience of the United States with regards to systematized racism and genuine oppression. Hoppe is making an academic argument about free association as deduced from the axiom of self ownership and private property.

If you concede that you don't have proof that Hoppe is racist and motivated to pursue his libertarianism because of that prejudice, then you should stop pretending that you do.

I've agreed with much of what Hoppe has written that I've read and I've disagreed with some of it. Whatever his other social beliefs or his more controversial remarks and public statements, he remains one of the best living Austrian economists and libertarian theorists.

If I am persuaded by his Argumentation Ethics, for example, you will jump to dismiss this argument based on your conviction that Hoppe is a racist, despite any actual proof. What does Argumentation Ethics have to do with racism anyway? An argument should be accepted or rejected on its merits, not on some ancillary failing of the person who made it.

I've already clearly shown that many of my opinions and beliefs are informed by many different thinkers, some of whom are on the left and others who are on the "right". I've been influence by left libertarians like Gary Chartier, Anthony Gregory, Scott Horton, and many others whose worldview is clearly more left wing than a "conservative" libertarian like Hoppe. Same when I listen to my favorite left wing commentators and journalists, people like Glenn Greenwald and Jeremy Scahill.

I am trying to figure out what is true and what is not true according to the evidence and the logic of the argument as well as my own system of morality. What I don't do is write off a whole group of serious intellectuals and just say "those are the racists and we don't listen to any of their academic arguments because some of their language could be coded language that has racial implications."

This is incredibly stupid and intellectually lazy. Now if Hoppe or any other prominent libertarian was actually a provable racist and white supremacist who promoted hate, then I genuinely would not listen to things they have to say because they have defined themselves based on hate speech.

I'll even go further and state that there are many libertarian writers who, despite not being racist, nonetheless write things that I have found objectionable or offensive in some way. I have no hesitation to challenge another libertarian who makes a bad argument.

I just don't throw around the "racist" label without clear proof. And you shouldn't either.

You should modify what you are saying to something like "I don't like Hoppe because I am offended by much of what he writes. Or, he is too politically incorrect and insensitive to how he uses language that has potential racial implications".

I could accept any of that criticism. But I can't accept claiming certain knowledge that someone is a racist without any proof whatsoever.

Hey knucklehead, listen up. I'm about to clue you in on some heavy poo poo.

If you stick to your principles when it becomes apparent that the implementation of your principles results in systemic racism, that's incredibly racist. It makes you a hard-core racist to do that. Savvy?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
jrod:

1) Do you personally believe that discrimination based on race--not the right to discriminate, but the actual practice--is morally good?

2) Why do you believe that many libertarians, such as Hans Hoppe as well as the many avowed white supremacists/"race realists", derive a society with increased race-based discrimination from their first principles? Is an increase in racial discrimination objectively proven from libertarian first principles, like the rest of praxeology, or is this one issue uniquely the result of some fallacious thought process among these libertarians?

3a) If increased discrimination is an objective and unavoidable result of libertarian axioms, how do you square this view with your oft-repeated claim that libertarianism is the greatest hope for anti-racism? (Note that the idea that other races will be happier in some way if forcibly separated and excluded from white society--especially in a paradigm where white society owns the vast majority of the world's resources--is explicitly racist.)

3b) If the push for discrimination is in fact a mistaken belief, what do you believe has caused this particular error in thinking? Is there a reason I should believe that Hoppe et al made this specific error for some reason other than an existing desire to justify discrimination against other races?

4) Why is libertarianism much more popular among white supremacists than anti-racists, especially minorities? Are all these people (both the libertarian racists and the anti-racist non-libertarians) simply not smart enough to realize that libertarianism is in fact an anti-racist ideology? What is it about libertarianism that makes it uniquely attractive to the exact opposite people who "should" be attracted to it?

e: Bonus: Are you aware that race is a social construct rather than a biological trait?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm beginning to think Jrod is a vaccine for Libertarianism.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Grognan posted:

I'm beginning to think Jrod is a vaccine for Libertarianism.

I have to think that while many posters in this thread are former libertarians, none of them can hope to have matched jrodefeld's sheer verbiage during their libertarian "phases."

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Jrod, are you feeling some kind of existential crisis between your want of libertarianism and your desire regarding the equality of mankind?

It would explain why you can't let the topic go like you can with healthcare spending, WWII history, great depression responses, and the like.

Join us Jrod. Free yourself from the shackles of atomization and be one with your brothers and sisters in glorious equality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
If it makes you feel any better JRod, if I noticed that a lot of socialists I meet keep saying things like "We need to seize the means of production to keep them out of the hands of the negroids" and if socialism seemed to be an ideology that only appealed to white dudes, I would probably start questioning my support for it pretty hard.