Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dren posted:

If he wants to do it he should give it a shot and if it's not working for him he can ease up on the schedule or quit altogether.

You're not saying anything unreasonable. In fact you haven't yet...

I'll just go sit somewhere else for awhile I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The only project 365 I liked was this guy's one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/alex-stoddard/sets/72157624050180762/

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Do a 365 but don't share every day because if you do that you are a terrible person who deserves to use a rebel t3 with a kit lens with a uv filter on it.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

"Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop." - some guy, once

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Help me feel better.

Does anyone else Hate gently caress themselves as they go through their most recent set?

Just screaming at yourself, how you could have done better in this or that? Missed focus on a great pose and the like?

Please, justify my self flagellation. :qq:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sometimes, but mostly I sigh in resignation because it somehow never turns out as great looking as it was in my mind. I don't know if that's because I lack the necessary trained skill to bring out what I'm picturing, or if it's an equipment deficiency. I sometimes (rarely) get shots that I'm really immensely satisfied with so I assume that crap equipment is only to blame half the time, and I'm trying to rectify lack of ability. FWIW this is how it feels trying to improve your motorbike riding, too. Sometimes you feel like you could ride faster/better if you weren't on such a crap bike...then you buy a better bike and find you really need to improve your riding, and it's an endless leapfrog.

Pretty sure most normal (read: not horrendously naturally talented) people who seek to improve any given skill feel this way.

Also don't use hate gently caress that way, hate loving someone is actually incredibly fun and the activity you're describing is the exact opposite because it makes YOU feel worse about yourself.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Dren posted:

The argument against the 365 so far is that he might end up producing a bunch of garbage because the schedule is unreasonable so he shouldn't even bother. Well poo poo, what if he likes it despite the schedule or he ends up not producing garbage? We don't know. If he wants to do it he should give it a shot and if it's not working for him he can ease up on the schedule or quit altogether.

Let him produce a lot of garbage. Sometimes you have to make a lot of garbage to start spotting what's good and what is just mundane crap. As long as the garbage teaches him things like better composition, or what really motivates him, it isn't a total waste.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Also don't use hate gently caress that way, hate loving someone is actually incredibly fun and the activity you're describing is the exact opposite because it makes YOU feel worse about yourself.

Tell You what. I won't argue if you can give me a better term that fits.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

Tell You what. I won't argue if you can give me a better term that fits.

VendaGoat posted:

Please, justify my self flagellation.

:)

Alternatively: hatewank.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Slavvy posted:

:)

Alternatively: hatewank.

hateWank/HateJerk it is.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

Do a 365 but don't share every day because if you do that you are a terrible person who deserves to use a rebel t3 with a kit lens with a uv filter on it.

Flickr album title right here.

Thanks for all the input.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

VendaGoat posted:

Just screaming at yourself, how you could have done better in this or that? Missed focus on a great pose and the like?

The only reason to get upset is if you keep making the same mistake over and over. If you screw up and learn from it, it's not a bad thing. That's how you get better at things.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
We are not on the same page. :)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

VendaGoat posted:

When I'm dissatisfied during the initial sort, I leave the poo poo sitting on the NAS a week or two before looking at it again. At that point, it starts to look like third party work and you may get different opinions and ideas to fix up the pictures. I still make mental notes on how to try to be better next time.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

VendaGoat posted:

Help me feel better.

Does anyone else Hate gently caress themselves as they go through their most recent set?

you ok? :smith:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

A 365 is useful from the standpoint that it teaches you just taking pictures for the sake of taking pictures with little thought behind them will - surprise! - produce a lot of boring pictures. It shouldn't take a year to learn this lesson, but whatever. A 52 week challenge, or like a scavenger hunt type thing, might actually be kind of fun.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dren posted:

you ok? :smith:

I'm cool. It's just the initial sort and the loss of an opportunity. You never get the same chance twice. You can never step into the same river twice. Blah blah blah. :)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Hey gang, do me a favor...choose which you like better.

A

B

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I hate both of those.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

B I guess. If it's the before shot of a story where you burned down a convention thing.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I dislike B less.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

I know a guy who has done a 365 for 9 years straight. :|

In the old terrible photographer thread, there were several people that did 365 projects for 5+ years. Every single one had the same boring style of picture on day one as day 1000. One lady, if you looked at the stream by month, you could tell where she was out of ideas because she would paint her toenails a different color and shoot them on the grass in her backyard.

She got like a hundred likes on each one from the various flickr foot fetishists and other hopeless 365 cases, so she had no impetus to improve her technique.

If you're dead set on doing a 365, try to put limitations on yourself to focus your practice. Like what Zack Arias does with his dedpxl projects. Spend a week using only certain focal lengths or lenses, then focus on themes like circles or lines. Spend a week learning each piece of gear intimately, then self direct into learning themes and structure.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

8th-snype posted:

I hate both of those.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

VendaGoat posted:

A

B

I like the car in the middle, I like it more than the other four. Why is it the same cars on both photos?

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

VendaGoat posted:

A

B

B has better compositions but the weird sign is in focus and the cars aren't in focus.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

huhu posted:

I'm doing a 365 photo challenge for myself and I've realized as part of the project, I'd like to focus on various aspects of photography and learn more about them. Some of the things on my list include Sunny 16 rule, square format, zone system, post production, focus stacking, HDR, rule of threes(not thirds)/triangles. I'm wondering if there are other things big/small worth checking out that you guys suggest.

Why not do a 52 photo challenge where each week you try to tackle or explore something different, and you pick out the best of each week? So week 1 you take photos focusing on the square format. Next week you solely try to creatively use depth of field or something. Use only the zone system and really try to nail the exposure. I dunno. Throw in some "free weeks" where you just do whatever. Or mix two of those focuses. And if you want to take something not in that week's theme, whatever, go for it. It just seems a lot less like a useless obligation than a 365 project.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Thank you all.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Rotten Cookies posted:

Why not do a 52 photo challenge where each week you try to tackle or explore something different, and you pick out the best of each week? So week 1 you take photos focusing on the square format. Next week you solely try to creatively use depth of field or something. Use only the zone system and really try to nail the exposure. I dunno. Throw in some "free weeks" where you just do whatever. Or mix two of those focuses. And if you want to take something not in that week's theme, whatever, go for it. It just seems a lot less like a useless obligation than a 365 project.

That's actually exactly the idea behind this e-book: http://davidduchemin.com/2013/09/the-visual-toolbox/

Unfortunately, you can't download it for free anymore since he got a publisher and is planning to sell an updated version.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I haven't read that but I've read a few of David's books and they're all top notch. He's great at explaining difficult and deep concepts and I always come out of his books feeling a lot smarter.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

In case you don't own a 64bit computer or run a 64bit operating system yet, but still want to eventually use Lightroom 6, you better think about changing that fact.

https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/01/update-on-os-support-for-next-version-of-lightroom.html

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you don't own a 64bit computer or run a 64bit operating system yet, you need to get with the loving program.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

BANME.sh posted:

I know a guy who has done a 365 for 9 years straight. :|

9 years of lovely photos. 3 more years and the dorkroom will be there.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

In case you don't own a 64bit computer or run a 64bit operating system yet, but still want to eventually use Lightroom 6, you better think about changing that fact.

https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/01/update-on-os-support-for-next-version-of-lightroom.html

do they even have a beta out yet?

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread for this sort of question, but it seemed to be the most appropriate. I'm assisting a friend of mine in getting a small photography business started, and she is looking at getting a used Mac for image editting work.

I know more about gaming setups and minimum specs for PCs than photography/editting stuff on a Mac, so my question is, for someone in her position, what are the minimum specs she should be looking for in a Mac to support Photoshop/Lightroom use, as well as some light video editting? Preferably in a MacBook rather than an iMac.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread for this sort of question, but it seemed to be the most appropriate. I'm assisting a friend of mine in getting a small photography business started, and she is looking at getting a used Mac for image editting work.

I know more about gaming setups and minimum specs for PCs than photography/editting stuff on a Mac, so my question is, for someone in her position, what are the minimum specs she should be looking for in a Mac to support Photoshop/Lightroom use, as well as some light video editting? Preferably in a MacBook rather than an iMac.

I'm using a late 2009 Macbook with 8GB ram and a 250GB SSD for tethered shooting and some editing in Lightroom. It works perfectly. Photoshop also runs well.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 26, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

If you don't own a 64bit computer or run a 64bit operating system yet, you need to get with the loving program.
I'm sure there's still a bunch of frugal goons using a poo poo can running Windows XP.

Dren posted:

do they even have a beta out yet?
Nope. But I suppose there'll be one pretty soon, if they're finally admitting the existence of a version 6.0 instead of a 5.8.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Whitezombi posted:

I'm using a late 2009 Macbook with 8GB ram and a 250GB SSD for tethered shooting and some editing in Lightroom. It works perfectly. Photoshop also runs well.

I'm assuming RAM is an important resource in editting and rendering? Do you have an external drive where you store most of your raw images?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
A fast hard drive is essential for storing RAWs and navigating them quickly in Lightroom. I have a fairly beefy computer with 16GB of ram and my Lightroom is slow as poo poo, because all of my photos are on a 5200 RPM external hard drive (connected with eSATA, not even USB 2). It's brutal. I keep my Lightroom library file on an SSD, but it doesn't help much.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I'm assuming RAM is an important resource in editting and rendering? Do you have an external drive where you store most of your raw images?

Yes. As much ram as possible. My main Lightroom PC is a very beefy machine and I have zero problems with it. 32GB RAM, 250 GB SSD, all catalogs, RAW files & images stored off of the OS drive on 7200 speed HDs. I have 16 TB of external storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have an SSD for editing, then i move stuff to HDD.