Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd read a Hydra series, especially if it managed to humanize them.

Hydra Bob, agent of...Hydra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Gaz-L posted:

And that's a less embarrassing admission than the one she could make about Johnny Storm.

Didn't she actually make that admission when meeting him at some point? I vaguely remember that happening.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wade Wilson posted:

Why does Luke care, anyway?

It's interesting, because he only cares when she says "love". This scene is Peter unmasking in front of the Avengers after magically making everyone forget who he is with OMD. When he unmasked during Civil War, Jessica saw it on TV and told Luke offhandedly that she used to have a crush on Peter in high school, and he just kind of laughed it off. But during take 2 it gets super awkward and personal.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Wade Wilson posted:

Why does Luke care, anyway?

If there was a guy in your field of employment who'd been doing it longer than you and was generally looked up to and viewed as extremely successful in your field by your peers, and you introduced him to your wife for the first time, and her reaction was "Oh my god I was in love with you when we were in high school together" you might, possibly, be dealing with feelings of insecurity afterwards. Even if he was your friend. Especially if he was your friend.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sefer posted:

Didn't she actually make that admission when meeting him at some point? I vaguely remember that happening.

I don't think "I used to masturbate to pictures of you" is the kind of thing anyone, man or woman, tells a theoretical colleague, celebrity or no.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I remember there being a followup to that; the team is flying in a Quinjet or something, with Luke fuming and Spider-man trying to smooth things over. Unfortunately, it leads to him talking more than usual. It ends exactly how you would imagine it would.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

It's interesting, because he only cares when she says "love". This scene is Peter unmasking in front of the Avengers after magically making everyone forget who he is with OMD. When he unmasked during Civil War, Jessica saw it on TV and told Luke offhandedly that she used to have a crush on Peter in high school, and he just kind of laughed it off. But during take 2 it gets super awkward and personal.

Things probably seem differant when the person in question is right there in the middle of the conversation with you and your wife rather than on a news headline.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

I don't think "I used to masturbate to pictures of you" is the kind of thing anyone, man or woman, tells a theoretical colleague, celebrity or no.

You don't venture out of BSS very often do you?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

Things probably seem differant when the person in question is right there in the middle of the conversation with you and your wife rather than on a news headline.

Of course, I just find it funny that Bendis got to do two versions of the same scene and chose to make them completely different.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Man, I kinda really liked unbeatable squirrel girl until I realized there was stuff written at the bottom of the pages and read it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. For some reason I enjoyed the humor coming out of the character's mouth, but none of the stuff at the bottom.

I'll give the footnotes another shot next issue. At least they couldn't have made them easier to avoid.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 24, 2015

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
It's basically Ryan North trying to translate webcomic alt-text into print media. He did it in his Young Avengers mini too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Look at all these people who don't read Adventure Time comics.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Soonmot posted:

The AT comics are where nobody took Ryan North aside and told him that comics are a visual medium.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

On the other hand, that's basically Deadpool's schtick but with a face attached to the other voice.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's not like they explain the jokes on the page, they're supplemental. I don't see how it makes the comic more or less funny. If you didn't like those jokes, then it's just, I guess a lower percentage of jokes you liked?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I don't see how this lump of poo poo could make this muffin less tasty. If you don't like the poo poo then, I guess, it's a lower percentage of the muffin you liked.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Most people said they didn't even see it. So you can ignore it if you like the rest of the page. But use your poo poo metaphor I guess.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Um, examples?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

IUG posted:

Most people said they didn't even see it. So you can ignore it if you like the rest of the page. But use your poo poo metaphor I guess.

Fedex arrow. Once you know it's there you can't igonore it and they add absolutely nothing to the comic. In fact, being unfunny, they actually detract from the comic. So, thanks, I will.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sizone posted:

Fedex arrow. Once you know it's there you can't igonore it and they add absolutely nothing to the comic. In fact, being unfunny, they actually detract from the comic. So, thanks, I will.

Yes you can, I routinely forget about them and I know they're there. Then I end up going back three pages.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can't edit in attachments:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Yes you can, I routinely forget about them and I know they're there. Then I end up going back three pages.

Pretty much how I read that issue as well. Did the same thing when I read Fraction's Defenders run, too.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Soonmot posted:

Can't edit in attachments:

this was pretty good. It's almost as if humor were subjective or something.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

There is also Coma Girl in the Marvel Universe
New Avengers 51

redbackground posted:

MODOK has a breakdown:

Secret Avengers #12
God drat I HATE that "rubbing the back of your head" thing. Mainly because EVERY artist does it now but I've never, EVER seen a person actually do that in real life. And I've met, like, at least 12. It's just so stiff and unnatural and obviously "posey"

Unlucky7 posted:

I remember there being a followup to that; the team is flying in a Quinjet or something, with Luke fuming and Spider-man trying to smooth things over. Unfortunately, it leads to him talking more than usual. It ends exactly how you would imagine it would.

I will always love that redub of Civil War that shows Parker being all nervous and afraid of saying the wrong thing around Luke Cage because he's black

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Duke Igthorn posted:

God drat I HATE that "rubbing the back of your head" thing. Mainly because EVERY artist does it now but I've never, EVER seen a person actually do that in real life. And I've met, like, at least 12. It's just so stiff and unnatural and obviously "posey"

HI, I'm Tony. I do that all the time.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

If I had the Infinity Gauntlet I would wish that this topic had more funny panels.

Spider-Verse Team-Up #3

Star Trek vs Planet of the Apes #2

Superior Iron Man #4

Invincible #116

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Duke Igthorn posted:

If you know of the site Giant Bomb, editor Brad Shoemaker does this literally every time he's on camera.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Soonmot posted:

Marceline and the Scream Queens.
Favorite reaction shot ever.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Marceline and the Scream Queens.
Favorite reaction shot ever.

The difference is that Meredith Gran (and most of the side story artists) knows how to frame a comic book, whilst Ryan North doesn't. Here's an obsessively :goonsay: set of examples from a single issue of the main series:

Over the course of three pages, PB announces that she has a "Time Machine" three times; firstly with a play on words which needs additional dialogue to explain the joke, secondly with a proper magic device but to nobody in particular, and thirdly she shows that to F&J on another page, because she was announcing it to nobody, and now it's using a shitload more words to do the exact same thing. It's redundant as gently caress, and doesn't flow like a comic should.

Meanwhile, in the space of just three panels, Anthony Clark (Nedroid) does the same sort of joke but infinitely better, using comic framing and space, because that's how comic books are supposed to work.

EDIT: images are from Adventure Time #6

Chocolate Teapot fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 25, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Chocolate Teapot posted:

The difference is that Meredith Gran (and most of the side story artists) knows how to frame a comic book, whilst Ryan North doesn't. Here's an obsessively :goonsay: set of examples from a single issue of the main series:

Over the course of three pages, PB announces that she has a "Time Machine" three times; firstly with a play on words which needs additional dialogue to explain the joke, secondly with a proper magic device but to nobody in particular, and thirdly she shows that to F&J on another page, because she was announcing it to nobody, and now it's using a shitload more words to do the exact same thing. It's redundant as gently caress, and doesn't flow like a comic should.

Meanwhile, in the space of just three panels, Anthony Clark (Nedroid) does the same sort of joke but infinitely better, using comic framing and space, because that's how comic books are supposed to work.

Comparing anyone to Anthony Clark is sort of unfair though

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Those aren't the same joke at all.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Ryan North was a goon wasn't he?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Sorry, I have no idea how those two examples are the "same sort of joke" at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also PB's a mad scientist. Of course she monologues to herself while sciencing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'll give you that on page 3 the first 3 panels are redundant as hell. But that was a fun story regardless.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Filboid Studge posted:

Ryan North was a goon wasn't he?

I don't think so? But I could be wrong; it wouldn't surprise me, but I don't remember him ever being here.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

IUG posted:

I'll give you that on page 3 the first 3 panels are redundant as hell. But that was a fun story regardless.

Yeah, I see what he means, but I also think it's pretty pedantic. Adventure Time comics are really good regardless.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I know not the source of the gonad rattling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dollars to donuts that's another of those stupid edits.