Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

I took a guitar to a place to get its frets leveled, as I walked in they had one of these above the door. Turns out the guy who invented this thing runs the place.

...I left my guitar there anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aoi-chan posted:

Apparently Korg and Roland have started a "trend" and everyone decided to bring out a retro analog synth this year.

This looks neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw-AWFmVyfg
I already have 2 synths and between the 2 of them they probably have a lot of these features already, but I still want this goddamnit.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

ZombieParts posted:

Oh that's funny. I guess doing some fills on a song like Iron Man could be funny but that's a seriously pricey pedal that's only good for a goof.

It gets worse. The tracking is extremely slow with any kind of harmonics so you have to use the neck pickup and roll off the tone. Rob Chapman did a review of it without using that "trick" which just makes it funnier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aveUEZkcQno

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Verizian posted:

It gets worse. The tracking is extremely slow with any kind of harmonics so you have to use the neck pickup and roll off the tone. Rob Chapman did a review of it without using that "trick" which just makes it funnier.

I can't stop loving laughing.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Verizian posted:

amazing

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I can't imagine tuning that thing up in the air there all the time would be very good for your neck or patience

Ladies as gentleman, the first legit reason for Gibson's robot tuners.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

IronLawnmower posted:

You know that Miku pedal that Korg put out a while ago?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUhQJ4pT9Kc
I wonder what it'd sound like through a tube screamer.

If only it was cheaper...

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

IronLawnmower posted:

You know that Miku pedal that Korg put out a while ago?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUhQJ4pT9Kc
I wonder what it'd sound like through a tube screamer.

Ladies as gentleman, the first legit reason for Gibson's robot tuners.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like that there's a scat setting.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

The real reason to get a Miku Stomp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj9SMAzRvX8

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

White Dog Eggs posted:

MOST squiers have the same screw placements as fenders, as do a lot of the cheap re-branded stuff.... The super-strat style necks tend to use curved neckplates though. If you are looking for cheap second hand one I can recommend old Yamaha's (I was given a nice one not too long ago, rgx 112 or something), they seem to be really cheap and the quality is very good, although the scale length seems to vary between Gibson and Fender.

Yeah ideally I would get an old pointy head MiJ Squire neck or a Jackson/Charvel neck from when they made lots and lots of fender compatible parts.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The amazing part of this is that they took the bass synth voice from the rhythm wolf and put 4 of them into it... which would have been kinda cool if that bass synth could stay in loving tune or actually sound like it wasn't coming from a 1980's casio.

But hey, "real simulated wood grain sides".

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

The amazing part of this is that they took the bass synth voice from the rhythm wolf and put 4 of them into it... which would have been kinda cool if that bass synth could stay in loving tune or actually sound like it wasn't coming from a 1980's casio.

Akai earned my eternal hate for the expensive as poo poo MPK keyboard (everything loving SUCKS), and I for one am glad to watch them slowly die/become m-audio.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

A Winner is Jew posted:

I didn't know that was a series of instruments. They sound dangerously close to being Guitar Wolf branded, which is a shame for something that doesn't shoot flames. I also thought Akai was already dead.

Also, speaking of Casio...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFfTgD6GfJY

I want these so hard but I have a difficult time believing Casio can make something that sells for $299 that feels like a $299 piece of hardware.

Edit: for comparison, Arturia's $299 rhythm toy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpoDPC_hNfo

Aoi-chan fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 24, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Aoi-chan posted:

I didn't know that was a series of instruments. They sound dangerously close to being Guitar Wolf branded, which is a shame for something that doesn't shoot flames. I also thought Akai was already dead.

Also, speaking of Casio...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFfTgD6GfJY

I want these so hard but I have a difficult time believing Casio can make something that sells for $299 that feels like a $299 piece of hardware.

Edit: for comparison, Arturia's $299 rhythm toy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpoDPC_hNfo

The Akai stuff is horrible... but then again everyone thought that the 303 was poo poo when it came out and it has a cult following now and used ones go for thousands. The casio thing looks kind of cool and it's not like the things they made that weren't radio shack specials like the CZ series synths were poo poo so you might be surprised, and even then one of their radio shack specials, the SK-1 is still widely used today.

Arturias beat step thing is only a sequencer though and it's CV out only works with the v/oct which doesn't interest me since I have an MS-20 which uses hz/volt, but Korg just introduced the SQ-1 which is a $100 Volca like sequencer that does both v/oct and hz/volt. Arturia has a hybrid drum machine called the SparkLE :sparkles: where it's a hardware controller for a dedicated VST. I actually have that and while it wasn't terrible by the time it came out (version 1.8 of the software) the 2.0 version they released a few months ago is well worth the $200 I paid for it, especially since I got all the add on presets that would be another $100 for free.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 24, 2015

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Verizian posted:

It sounds like robot yoko ono with a bad cold.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

IronLawnmower posted:

It sounds like robot yoko ono with a bad cold.

Taken at face value, this thing is ridiculous. The fun part would be figuring out ways to subvert and twist the poo poo out of it into something interesting.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
That miku pedal is horrific and I want one. I'd love to hear someone abuse the gently caress out of one too.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yep. I'm gonna buy it.

No surprise there. But I will post my three JEMs when I have them, and you can and will ridicule me for it. I won't care. :smug:

Because I'll have three JEMs. If i was super rich I'd own the white one, too. That's not gonna happen unless I bought one used. I ain't rich.

The thing is, I like Steve Vai ok. I like his guitars way more than I like him or his music.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yep. I'm gonna buy it.

I had to read this twice because I took it to mean Faustus was going to buy a Miku pedal.

Which would be goddamn hilarious, but still.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Allen Wren posted:

I had to read this twice because I took it to mean Faustus was going to buy a Miku pedal.

Which would be goddamn hilarious, but still.

me too, I'm a little sad that wasn't right.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've always liked the blue floral jem and i don't know why. it reminds me of lingerie

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Dr. Faustus posted:

The thing is, I like Steve Vai ok. I like his guitars way more than I like him or his music.

To be fair, no matter how dumb those things look, they are pretty nice to play. I've gotten to fool around in a couple and they are comfy and the necks feel nice. With that much inlay work, I honestly expected them to feel weird. Shine on, you crazy fanboy, there's certainly worse playing guitars you could be obsessed with, like Warlocks. :haw:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
muike is one of my favorite posters. He's knowledgeable and smart, and he knows guitars. I find it a little unfortunate (and if I'm wrong, muike, please accept my sincere apology) that he's into way dropped tunings and crap cookie-monster music. Unlike the rest of you haters I want to be friends with muike.

So it makes me happy that he doesn't hate the blue FP JEM. The lingerie comment is a bit much (I've seen lots of lingerie and I've never seen JEM that looks like lady clothes) but there's no call for that comparison.

It's a goddam gorgeous guitar, and I'll post it here in the lovely guitars thread when I have it and you can beat me up some more. (see pages 1-3)

pointlessone posted:

To be fair, no matter how dumb those things look, they are pretty nice to play. I've gotten to fool around in a couple and they are comfy and the necks feel nice. With that much inlay work, I honestly expected them to feel weird. Shine on, you crazy fanboy, there's certainly worse playing guitars you could be obsessed with, like Warlocks. :haw:
Well, that was unexpected. Thanks.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i like you too faustus and when i am mean it is solely for comedy, the sole respite of the weary spirited...

aside from metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbMkXarAX_M

:twisted:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
also this stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFJAnCi95ts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD4-09odIWk

i would have used a more recent live version of young man if there was a good recording because oh my god it's so much better now

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

People only ridicule you Dr F because you're so drat defensive. Nobody really gives a poo poo what anybody here likes or plays, some of them just like getting a rise out of you because you make it so easy. I mean, you're already being defensive about your guitars and I'm pretty sure no one's brought them up in like a month.

And that blue floral pattern does kind of remind me gaudy 80s lingerie. You know, like Frederick's of Hollywood or something. I do like it better than the original floral pattern JEM, tho. I really liked the look of that natural & chrome RG(? not sure, Ibanez isn't my thing) you posted earlier, that look is all class, and not often seen anywhere.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

Unlike the rest of you haters I want to be friends with muike.

Jesus, we're not even giving you poo poo. I just felt the thought of you with an anime girl guitar pedal was funny.

Sorry I'm not a guitar wizard who knows how to play all the meedly meedly notes and am thus subhuman.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Blue floral JEM makes an incredibly close pass at being tolerable, but then throws it all out the window with that maple board

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

the lovely guitars thread

C'mon now, it's clearly 'Stupid music poo poo" thread. A little diversity wouldn't hurt and I'm tired of scrolling trough a bunch of guitars and JEM reposts.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

W424 posted:

C'mon now, it's clearly 'Stupid music poo poo" thread. A little diversity wouldn't hurt and I'm tired of scrolling trough a bunch of guitars and JEM reposts.

sure

snuggleshrub
Jul 2, 2010

Schpyder posted:

People only ridicule you Dr F because you're so drat defensive. Nobody really gives a poo poo what anybody here likes or plays, some of them just like getting a rise out of you because you make it so easy. I mean, you're already being defensive about your guitars and I'm pretty sure no one's brought them up in like a month.

And that blue floral pattern does kind of remind me gaudy 80s lingerie. You know, like Frederick's of Hollywood or something. I do like it better than the original floral pattern JEM, tho. I really liked the look of that natural & chrome RG(? not sure, Ibanez isn't my thing) you posted earlier, that look is all class, and not often seen anywhere.

Seeing that RG has actually made me want one.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
TBH, with Fender's new longboard strat I'd rather go for that than the RG.

I wonder how it'd look if you replaced the cream with chrome bits...

Now if only I could afford a $2200 guitar. :shepspends:

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 26, 2015

woon socket
Sep 30, 2011

by XyloJW
f

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 27, 2015

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
how many jems does he have

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's called grindr

snuggleshrub
Jul 2, 2010
I have a fondness for natural finishes in general, this is why I have a Peavey t-40.

BusterBlintz
May 30, 2012

by Ralp

Those are some gay rear end guitars. Does it say Ibanez on them? Who the gently caress would play them, I bet they sound like some 80s chorused trash.

What's with the carry handle too, lol

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Play one.

quote:

Does it say Ibanez on them?

:lol:

awesmoe posted:

how many jems does he have
I have grand total of two. One MIJ Floral Print (1988) and one Indonesian Seafoam Green. Soon-ish, I hope to have three.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Speaking of natural finishes, just got this back from a setup after years in storage. It's my first guitar from when I was 15 or so, about 1986. I think it was about $350. For a while I regretted not getting something more stripped down hardcore/punk looking instead of this thing that looks like you should be doing coke off of it.

Thought I'd take this naturally ugly girl out for a photo sesh for you

Let's see that pretty face, honey

Aww yeah nice curves

Just flip over for a sec sweetie

CROTCH SHOT

• Locked thread