Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

moths posted:

What an unnecessarily loaded comparison!

Way back when, demonic possession and bad spirits were blamed for mental illness. Deborah Logan sets up an interesting scenario where the character's Alzheimers might be something more, and then shits the bed by having her levitate around and supernatural hijinks. How do you figure that it was a minor character trait, when it was the whole reason the film crew was there? Her disease was the source of conflict for the first half of the film. Did she even have any other traits that weren't "placeholder old lady?"

The stress that Alzheimer's put on the daughter, the neighbor, and Deborah Logan herself could have been a solid, suspenseful drama - and it was until the movie dives headfirst into the shallow-end of the found footage pool.

It was nice to see a lesbian character that was actually a character, I'll give them credit for that.

The thing is though that the "whole reason" the film crew is there isn't just to document the emotional and physical tole of mental illness; it's to exploit two vulnerable old women for a self-serving documentary. Within the first few minutes of the film, the director lies to Sarah that she has had personal experience with Alzheimer in order to coerce her into believing there is a net good to what she is allowing them to document. The reason the film treats her as "placeholder old lady" is because that's how the diegetic filmmakers view her. While I don't disagree that this tenuous relationship between filmmaker and subject could have made an intriguing found footage movie on its own, part of the reason the film is good is because it's already to a certain extent about this, but then goes one step further by literally taking the film out of the hands of the documentarian. The increasing supernatural hijinks plot the course of the filmmaker's objectives completely changing from facetiously exploiting people to actually uncovering something of social consequence.

moths posted:

Except, you know, for all the Alzheimer's that the doctors kept finding. Did you actually watch this or just read the Netflix summary and decide to gently caress with the horror thread?

Yeah, because doctors in horror movies never misidentify supernatural phenomena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The best part of the movie is when the documentarian finally admits "I'm sorry I lied to make the movie!" and Sarah doesn't give a poo poo because this is her story now.

The film makes a very obvious distinction between literal Alzheimers and the second, unrelated, 'spiritual' disease. That's why the basic plot is about people trying to make a movie about Alzheimers but discovering something supernatural instead. The characters exposit directly to the audience: 'these are not the symptoms of Alzheimers; this is something else'.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 20, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

trip9 posted:

So someone mentioned A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night a few pages back and I'm sad that no one else spoke up about it. It's not really "horror" and is closer to something like Only Lovers Left Alive (with some slight thematic similarities with Let the Right One In).

I like to think these three films take place in the same cinematic universe, and show various types of vampires trying to survive in different parts of the world (Iran, Detroit/Tunisia, Sweden). There might be some minor contradictions in the vampire lore each one uses, but they all feel like people out of the same world.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

moths posted:

Except, you know, for all the Alzheimer's that the doctors kept finding. Did you actually watch this or just read the Netflix summary and decide to gently caress with the horror thread?

e: Oh goddamnit, it's you. Sorry, thread, for the inevitable wall of incoming text that will patronizingly explain how the bad movie was actually a different bad movie that only took place in SMG's imagination.

Its ok, we all make this mistake once or twice.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

XIII posted:

I tried to find a legitimate way to watch it as well, but there doesn't seem to be one. I'll go ahead admit to dl'ing it, but I have also backed the Kickstarter, so I'm okay with it. May the Mods have mercy on my soul.

I've been dying to watch it too, and haven't found a way to do so yet (legitimately or otherwise). However according to their website there is a screening this weekend about an hour away from me, so I know what I'm doing on Saturday! This is probably the only "major" horror film from 2014 that I haven't seen yet, I'm pretty excited.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Daveski posted:

I've been dying to watch it too, and haven't found a way to do so yet (legitimately or otherwise). However according to their website there is a screening this weekend about an hour away from me, so I know what I'm doing on Saturday! This is probably the only "major" horror film from 2014 that I haven't seen yet, I'm pretty excited.

It's totally worth an hour drive. But, don't go into it expecting a "horror" movie, even by horror comedy standards. I stand behind my description that it's not a horror comedy, per say, more of a comedy for horror fans.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I need a good netflix suggestion. I'm depressed and need something fun or terrifying. Or terrifying and fun.

Not depressing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

schwenz posted:

I need a good netflix suggestion. I'm depressed and need something fun or terrifying. Or terrifying and fun.

Not depressing.

Fright Night.

- Fright night, who's it gonna be tonight? Lock the doors and windows tiiiiiight!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lurdiak posted:

Fright Night.

- Fright night, who's it gonna be tonight? Lock the doors and windows tiiiiiight!

Gonna second this.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Tucker & Dale.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Watch Parks and Rec. Fine, it's not horror, but it's always cheered me up. Hope you feel better :)

(I don't usually go for horror comedy but Cabin in the Woods, Tucker and Dale, and Chopping Mall [which... I don't think intended to be funny] are good IMO)

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

schwenz posted:

Not depressing.

When I feel depressed I watch Shrek. Not necessarily in that order.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Chopping Mall has Mary Woronov in it, of course it's meant to be funny.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Chopping Mall has Mary Woronov in it, of course it's meant to be funny.

Also, it's called Chopping Mall. Of course it's meant to be funny.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Hah, well, you got me there. I haven't seen it in years, but I seem to recall thinking the effects were just really bad, which made it funnier.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I don't get all the love for Housebound. I had to watch it through 4 sittings because I kept turning it off going "ok maybe it will get good soon, right?" well it never does. This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen and I really would like to know why the heck people seem to like it so much. Don't go into this post thinking this is a challenge if you haven't seen this movie and think it may be good because it isn't. I was visibly irritated multiple times during the movie and just wanted it to end and it kept going. This movie never got good or interesting at any point and has incredibly high reviews from critics and fans alike. It is like the ultimate troll that people recommend this movie I think.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^sorry to hear about your allergy to fun.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Meowbot posted:

I don't get all the love for Housebound. I had to watch it through 4 sittings because I kept turning it off going "ok maybe it will get good soon, right?" well it never does. This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen and I really would like to know why the heck people seem to like it so much. Don't go into this post thinking this is a challenge if you haven't seen this movie and think it may be good because it isn't. I was visibly irritated multiple times during the movie and just wanted it to end and it kept going. This movie never got good or interesting at any point and has incredibly high reviews from critics and fans alike. It is like the ultimate troll that people recommend this movie I think.

It's a quirky, fun movie that never settles into any of the films it takes stuff from. It just randomly casts off and subverts your predictions for what the film is going to be by the end because it's expertly aware of what viewers will think of its influences. It's really more of a self-aware comedy because it playfully messes around with the tools of the horror genre to make something that is rather hilarious.

I went in not knowing anything about it, and was told explicitly not to expect from it, and not to make assumptions about it and I adore it.

Nobody's going to convince you to like it but like I said if you watch with the right frame of mind it'll be a good watch.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Meowbot posted:

...this is one of the worst movies I've ever seen...

Well, there's your problem. Every time someone says this about a film that doesn't look like it's been shot with a $100 digital camera and no basic knowledge of film making itself, it absolutely discredits anything you say. One of the worst? Really?

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I opted for go to bed early.

Are we recommending the Collin Farrell Fright Night? I heard that was fun.

Slice of history: When i was a wee little teen, my friend and I would bike to the theater. We would pay for the first show and hop around to each movie till we saw them all.

There were three movies we liked so much that we stayed and watched them over and over, all day.

1. Back to the Future
2. Fright Night
3. Return of the living Dead

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Meowbot posted:

This sure is a lot of words to say absolutely nothing whatsoever about what you didn't like about it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Just got done with [REC] 4 Apocalypse

Was I supposed to be rooting against the main doctor guy or something? I'm not seeing what he did wrong, exactly.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

XIII posted:

It's totally worth an hour drive. But, don't go into it expecting a "horror" movie, even by horror comedy standards. I stand behind my description that it's not a horror comedy, per say, more of a comedy for horror fans.

Heh, I think I got two conversation threads confused, you guys were talking about What We Do in the Shadows (which I have seen and loved, in my top 10 films of any genre for the year) and I mixed it up with talk of A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, which is the one I'm going to see this weekend. I was confused for a moment when you called it a comedy, haha.

I don't think I was in the right mood for Housebound when I first watched it, because it didn't really do anything for me. Plus a review I read compared it to Evil Dead II, which seems like a terrible comparison. I think I'll give it another shot soon, a lot of folks with similar tastes to mine seem to really love it, so I think if I go into it with different expectations I can hopefully appreciate it more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

schwenz posted:

It's great fun if you want to watch Colin Farrell go 90 minutes without swearing while David Tennant (who was still the Doctor at the time) attempts to singlehandedly deplete the European F-bomb stockpiles.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

schwenz posted:

I'm a huge fan of the original, but the remake was actually pretty decent and entertaining.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I recently had a pretty nasty respiratory infection and used my sick time to finally watch through some of the Hellraiser sequels.

I got up to Deader, and it's really hard to feel any particular way about them. They in no way live up to the premise of the first two movies, but they remind me of an extended Friday the 13th: the Series saga focused on a single cursed antique.

They're dumb in that they walk back the cenobites' standards for who they'd take. It's as if Pinhead and company are getting more desperate as the franchise drags on. While it was originally a dark blessing to get chain-exploded, eventually just about anyone can get dragged into their realm for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Deader almost returned to the original concept, with the cult people desiring... something?

It's also frustrating that as soon as the box is shown opening you can't trust the narrative. This was the worst in Hellseeker, which hung most of its story on the mystery of "what's real and what's brain damaged hallucination?"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

moths posted:

It's also frustrating that as soon as the box is shown opening you can't trust the narrative. This was the worst in Hellseeker, which hung most of its story on the mystery of "what's real and what's brain damaged hallucination?"

Hellseeker commits the cardinal sin of just being boring as hell. I'll take CD shooting cenobite every time over a (very)poor man's Jacob's Ladder.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

flashy_mcflash posted:

This sure is a lot of words to say absolutely nothing whatsoever about what you didn't like about it.

Well, see, it's bad because Meowbot didn't like it, and observed throughout the movie that he didn't like it, when he was totally expecting to like it.

For real, Housebound was fantastic. I went in expecting a clone of 100 Feet and instead got something a lot more like a slow-moving Hot Fuzz.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah I feel like once you figure out that it's hopeless to guess at what's "really" happening, it gets hard to pay attention to Hellseeker.

There's literally no way to assemble the ending from the "clues," and the most promising possibility that he's currently getting brain surgery and experiencing flashbacks turns out to be a red herring.

It also occurred to me that Clive Barker and Stephen King must both have song memories of scary greasers from when they were kids.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

schwenz posted:

Not depressing.

Friday the 13th VI feels like a fake slasher sequel you'd see on a drive-in screen in a Richard Donner or Fred Dekker movie. It's like an 80's kid-friendly horror comedy inspired by Universal monster movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

schwenz posted:

Are we recommending the Collin Farrell Fright Night?

gently caress you.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

All the Fright Night movies are good except the DTV sequel to the remake.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Any other fans of Cube in here who saw it on TV a few minutes ago and realized they never looked to see what crazy theories the internet has come up with?

Fantastic movie with a decent-if-I-remember sequel, watching the third movie now but was wondering if anyone knows anything cool about the films.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Any other fans of Cube in here who saw it on TV a few minutes ago and realized they never looked to see what crazy theories the internet has come up with?

Fantastic movie with a decent-if-I-remember sequel, watching the third movie now but was wondering if anyone knows anything cool about the films.

Huh. Dude who made Cube also made Splice and is making Neuromancer.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

This is kind of controversial, but I unreservedly love those first two movies, so hearing about him making Neuromancer makes me happy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Man, the Fright Night remake is almost really good. Farrell is great and uses his looks and image to play Dandridge as this sexual predator, but I'm still not sure why they make Tennant (Who is a lot of fun) an illusionist. For me the closest comparison would've been the host of one of those supernatural reality tv shows that are everywhere. I know he's framed as this sort of occult expert, but still. And it really suffers in the last act where it's just about Farrell becoming the Terminator.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Natali's best movie may be Nothing, although it's outside the bounds of this thread. I wonder what part David Hewlett will play in Neuromancer.

Re: Cube theories - it was all explained within the movie. The Cube was a government military/industrial complex pork project, and they put people into it because having built it they had to do something with it and they couldn't think of anything else. Anyone trying to find further explanation can be safely dismissed as an idiot, because such is not required.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jedit posted:

Natali's best movie may be Nothing, although it's outside the bounds of this thread. I wonder what part David Hewlett will play in Neuromancer.

Re: Cube theories - it was all explained within the movie. The Cube was a government military/industrial complex pork project, and they put people into it because having built it they had to do something with it and they couldn't think of anything else. Anyone trying to find further explanation can be safely dismissed as an idiot, because such is not required.

Ultimately I think it doesn't matter where the Cube came from, but of the theories presented by the movie I liked this one best. It holds just the right amount of existential dread mixed with feasibility. It's the horror movie version of "If you build it, they will come."

moths posted:

They're dumb in that they walk back the cenobites' standards for who they'd take. It's as if Pinhead and company are getting more desperate as the franchise drags on. While it was originally a dark blessing to get chain-exploded, eventually just about anyone can get dragged into their realm for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Deader almost returned to the original concept, with the cult people desiring... something?

Yeah, this. I wish the franchise would remember that the Cenobites provide a service. You go to them if you want something, and if it's not exactly what you asked for, sucks to be you, have some more chains up yours.

One of my favorite moments from Hellbound was when they spared Tiffany because she had no idea what she was doing, she was just solving puzzles. In one of the sequels, Tiffany's insides would have gotten plastered over the walls because "Muahaha you called us, now die!" Or maybe not plastered, because budget restraints.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Grendels Dad posted:

Ultimately I think it doesn't matter where the Cube came from, but of the theories presented by the movie I liked this one best. It holds just the right amount of existential dread mixed with feasibility. It's the horror movie version of "If you build it, they will come."

Yeah, this. I wish the franchise would remember that the Cenobites provide a service. You go to them if you want something, and if it's not exactly what you asked for, sucks to be you, have some more chains up yours.

One of my favorite moments from Hellbound was when they spared Tiffany because she had no idea what she was doing, she was just solving puzzles. In one of the sequels, Tiffany's insides would have gotten plastered over the walls because "Muahaha you called us, now die!" Or maybe not plastered, because budget restraints.

It's kind of funny how quickly the makers of Hellraiser movies forgot the premise of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pope Guilty posted:

It's kind of funny how quickly the makers of Hellraiser movies forgot the premise of the series.

The premise, along with 67% of what made the first two movies iconic. The should bring back the labyrinth and skinless people.