Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
This post-college civilian on our team is a complete piece of poo poo, always whining about how he hates the mission because he can't sleep in or take days off and he's just, so stressed you know? So after six weeks of alternating 10hr shifts (Mids>Swings>Days>Mids>Swings>Days) you get two weeks of relief duty where you take care of your appointments and cover for shifts when people need it. Schedule-wise, he's managed to get every single holiday off for the past six months. He still bitches about how he can't sleep in the day after the holiday. So one guy's got a newborn and asks civvie to cover four hours of his shift (civvie's job when he's on the relief week) so he can take his newborn to the hospital. His reponse?

"Well I would, but I kind of want to go hiking tomorrow" and so he flat out refuses to come in, because he "already bought hiking socks."

Other relief requests come in, he turns them down. Our supervisor gets involved after suddenly the team is bogged down by an inability to be flexible and civvie realizes that if he "works" 40 hours at any point in the week, he can't come in to cover a shift the rest of the time because it violates his hours limit. So he comes in the first two days and sits in a storage room "organizing" poo poo and "reading training manuals" and I've caught the guy on the lowside phone talking to his wife for like five loving hours. So he's here for 12~ hours a day the first few days so he can deny everyone's request the last four days, and he refuses to cover shift time EVEN WHEN HE'S SITTING AT WORK IN AN EMPTY ROOM ANYWAY.

Granted nobody trusts him to do work anyway and he's broken SOP over 12 times and we've had to file reports over it. That's more breaches of protocol than our program has had in two years total, and he racked them up in his first four months. So earlier this week he comes in two hours late because "he locked his keys in his car". He comes in and apologizes to the guy on shift and says "Look, I'll come in two hours early tomorrow to make up for it". Next day? Five minutes late.

So that is my backstory for why I'm currently an hour late to relieving this guy, who I called and told I locked my keys in my car. I'm not even dressed. I'm sitting here in my boxers watching Netflix. I'm going to tell him I'll come in two hours early tomorrow and then come in a half hour late and he'll know exactly what I'm doing.

His last week is in two weeks, and he thought he was going somewhere better. Nope. He's going to the same place that I came from, and am returning to next month. Where I'm team lead. The look on his face when he realized this was priceless.

He really missed his calling as a sailor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Some people take their jobs seriously and know how to be a team-player, some people are selfish loving assholes...In less than a year here I've seen it occur to varying degrees with MIL, CIV, and CTR. *shrugs*

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I guarantee he's committing, or going to commit time card fraud at some point. The government isn't too fond of that I hear.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Sir Lucius posted:

I guarantee he's committing, or going to commit time card fraud at some point. The government isn't too fond of that I hear.

It's why I sometimes stay at work until 1800 on Fridays. No one is around. No one is witnessing me do that, but I'm terrified of not being honest about time cards due to some program that may or may not even exist which tracks the times I badge in and out.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

ManMythLegend posted:

Anybody know of any good soul food places in San Diego?

In North Park there's this really great Mexican place called Seņor Mangos that serves up some truly badical tortas. http://www.yelp.com/biz/se%C3%B1or-mangos-san-diego-2
I make sure to hit it up every time I go back.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Told him I'd come in early today, so now I'm just riding out the extra time and scratching my balls. I ran into a con that was an ex-soldier last night. We're all talking and someone asks me how I like it here, being military.

"To be frank, it's not as engaging as some of my other missions have been. I could be using my skillset a lot more."

What ex-grunt heard:

"To be frank, i've had it worse than all of you fuckers. Especially you, Tom. None of you have ever had a worse assignment in the military. Feel free to tell me all about how I'm being a bitch and you had it ten times worse once."

This is his first night here though and now nobody likes his fat rear end. I hate people that do that poo poo. "Oh, someone is complaining. Well, I'm sure I can complain harder than that."

Since we're on restaurants to a degree still, anyone know any good hawaiian around the DC area? Putting chicken on top of white rice is to hard for me to do on my own.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 24, 2015

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Analogical posted:

Told him I'd come in early today, so now I'm just riding out the extra time and scratching my balls. I ran into a con that was an ex-soldier last night. We're all talking and someone asks me how I like it here, being military.

"To be frank, it's not as engaging as some of my other missions have been. I could be using my skillset a lot more."

What ex-grunt heard:

"To be frank, i've had it worse than all of you fuckers. Especially you, Tom. None of you have ever had a worse assignment in the military. Feel free to tell me all about how I'm being a bitch and you had it ten times worse once."

This is his first night here though and now nobody likes his fat rear end. I hate people that do that poo poo. "Oh, someone is complaining. Well, I'm sure I can complain harder than that."

Since we're on restaurants to a degree still, anyone know any good hawaiian around the DC area? Putting chicken on top of white rice is to hard for me to do on my own.

You should try the Siam House near Cleveland Park and try the spicy fried rice, it's awesome, been there in 2009 when I was in the US for vacation.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

NyxBiker posted:

You should try the Siam House near Cleveland Park and try the spicy fried rice, it's awesome, been there in 2009 when I was in the US for vacation.

Open until 11 eh? En route

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Analogical posted:

know any good hawaiian around the DC area? Putting chicken on top of white rice is to hard for me to do on my own.

I'm in hawaii, the food here sucks! you think they can sell this pig slop on the mainland?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Arione posted:

I'm in hawaii, the food here sucks! you think they can sell this pig slop on the mainland?

You're so wrong I can even begin to tell you.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

that right there is high end poo poo for hawaii

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Arione posted:

I'm Also in Hawaii. For the second time. I can get fantastic food out of a truck or a strip mall shop.

You're out of your dang mind.

Steak plate is such an under rated simple invention that fuckin nails it on all fronts.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the hawaii plate lunch place near my house closed down at the start of the year. no notice just hey we are gone! ALOHA!

http://www.kilohanagrill.com/

the owners were from hawaii and had great (slightly overpriced) food

this sucks :(

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
hawaii is the only place ive been too that can take the concept of "BBQ" and turn it into some sort of hosed up Chinese food, also dixie grill sucks

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Arione posted:

hawaii is the only place ive been too that can take the concept of "BBQ" and turn it into some sort of hosed up Chinese food, also dixie grill sucks

Dixie grill was perfect for hangovers as a sailor in the barracks.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Currently making spam musubis

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Null Integer posted:

Dixie grill was perfect for hangovers as a sailor in the barracks.

We've all eaten things we're not proud of.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

orange juche posted:

We've all eaten things we're not proud of.

cip

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Ahi poke. End of story.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Breakfast of the island ni-- n... Niihau

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There is so much good food in Chinatown in downtown Honolulu that it's not even funny. I used to live on the corner of Queen Emma and Beretannia and we would go to a new place pretty much every weekend and it was awesome.

Little Village Noodle House and Lucky Belly were the poo poo. Also, gently caress Waikiki.

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 24, 2015

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Boon posted:

There is so much good food in Chinatown in downtown Honolulu that it's not even funny. I used to live on the corner of Queen Emma and Beretannia and we would go to a new place pretty much every weekend and it was awesome.

Little Village Noodle House and Lucky Belly were the poo poo. Also, gently caress Waikiki.

especially gently caress the army dudes giving ppl DUI's for getting poo poo out of their trunk at Ft De Russy

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Arione posted:

especially gently caress the army dudes

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Best thing about Hawaii Is booze sold everywhere.

I'm drinking Costco tequila. On my porch surrounded by tiki torches. poo poo is fantastic for the price. 19 bux for 1.75l. Hell yeah.

Screw winter forever.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

Best thing about Hawaii Is booze sold everywhere.

I'm drinking Costco tequila. On my porch surrounded by tiki torches. poo poo is fantastic for the price. 19 bux for 1.75l. Hell yeah.

Screw winter forever.

Winter in Hawaii is 79 degrees vs. 85 in summer.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

Winter in Hawaii is 79 degrees vs. 85 in summer.

That's the point. 75 vs -5. gently caress real winter forever.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
So I can't believe I finally got orders approved and funded and I'm in San Diego this week. gently caress yeah sleeping with the windows open in January.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
So they're sending me to be a detachment duty officer on an aircraft carrier while dudes do initial quals. I'm a dumb Marine who's never been on a ship before, much less lived on one for a week, but they picked me.

What stupid poo poo do I not know that will bite me in the rear end, and what dumb things am I forgetting to pack in my duffel bag?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

overdesigned posted:

So they're sending me to be a detachment duty officer on an aircraft carrier while dudes do initial quals. I'm a dumb Marine who's never been on a ship before, much less lived on one for a week, but they picked me.

What stupid poo poo do I not know that will bite me in the rear end, and what dumb things am I forgetting to pack in my duffel bag?

One week? Shower shoes. Soap. Two ply tp. Enough clothes to last the entire time. entertainment.

Easy

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Sweet.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, for just a week there's not really much you absolutely need. Some stuff you can think about if you want to be extra comfy:

For toiletries, make sure you have shower shoes and a bathrobe. You'll probably have to walk down a passageway past work centers and other stuff to get to the bathroom.

For bedding, some people like to bring a sleeping bag or their own sheets, but for a week-long det you'll probably be fine just using the linens the ship provides. I generally have an entire duffel bag devoted to pillow/mattress pad/sheets/blanket for longer trips.

As far as things to bring for your room: 3M adhesive hooks are great for making places to hang towels and such; clorox wipes are handy for wiping down your sink and other surfaces; an air freshener is extremely nice to have; and an extension cord, while not technically allowed, is often a practical necessity if you want to charge any personal electronics, since the socket is usually way up high or out of the way. Just make sure you hide the cord when it's not in use.

Entertainment: tablets and e-readers are super popular since they don't take much space. Load up with a bunch of books/games/movies and you're golden.

Spend some off time wandering around and getting lost. People are generally very helpful if you're just walking around looking confused. Figuring out where you eat, sleep, work, and poo poo is 90% of your navigation and will happen pretty quickly, but there's always plenty to explore.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Pro tip: Don't fall off jets, especially feet first.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Stultus Maximus posted:

So I can't believe I finally got orders approved and funded and I'm in San Diego this week. gently caress yeah sleeping with the windows open in January.

we're getting 3 feet of snow tonight. I hate you.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

overdesigned posted:

ask someone to explain the numbering system to you. Once you know that, it's hard to get lost. If you've ever been to the Pentagon it's a similar concept.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Stultus Maximus posted:

You staying over at 32nd Street?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ManMythLegend posted:

You staying over at 32nd Street?

I'll be in SD the first couple weeks of May if anyone will be there then. Gonna try to hang out with Christof while I'm there.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

overdesigned posted:

Gym clothes. You're going to eat a lot of the carrier. Because you can.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

I'll be in SD the first couple weeks of May if anyone will be there then. Gonna try to hang out with Christof while I'm there.

Oh that's totally not going to be awkward as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I am glad I am in SD and not in the hellblasted blizzard snowland that is currently the east coast naval bases.

• Locked thread