Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

What? That's clearly the passenger door.

Good thing you're pretty.

Sudo Echo posted:

Just gonna savor this post

Yeeeeuuuup.

he's obviously from a place that drives on the wrong side of the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Haha I love this post.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

cursedshitbox posted:

Good thing you're pretty.

Yeeeeuuuup.

he's obviously from a place that drives on the wrong side of the road

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

To glass, I say.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Romney is polling really well this time around.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The most interesting places are where they drive on the right but have a 50-50 mix of LHD and RHD cars

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

veedubfreak posted:

See, there's a reason the U.K. is also known as Brokeback Island, and it has to do with them doing pretty much everything rear end-backwards with a capital rear end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

The most interesting places are where they drive on the right but have a 50-50 mix of LHD and RHD cars

West Auckland on a summer sunday?

edit: wait, how the gently caress is a land border between RHD and LHD countries resolved? Have they got like a big crossover bridge or grid or something?

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 24, 2015

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Slavvy posted:

edit: wait, how the gently caress is a land border between RHD and LHD countries resolved? Have they got like a big crossover bridge or grid or something?
You generally pull into the customs checkpoint on one side of the road and leave on the other side. Or just drive in the middle and hope there's no oncoming traffic.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Sweden actually switched what side of the road they drive on during the 60s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagen_H

They made the changeover of all their roads effectively during the middle of the night.

Prior to that change, their interaction with either Norway or Finland involved crossover stops at the border. I've heard that in Norway there were actually a few rural backroads that are unofficially shared with Sweden, which no doubt led to the occasional accident.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

I was thinking Cambodia where all the cars are second hand imports, just half come from the states and the other half from Japan.

Also I see a lot of JDM models on those Russian dashcan videos.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

I was thinking Cambodia where all the cars are second hand imports, just half come from the states and the other half from Japan.

Also I see a lot of JDM models on those Russian dashcan videos.

When Russia raised tariffs on Japanese imports the opposition in the Russian far east was so intense that troops had to be dispatched from Moscow to put them down.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/16/world/europe/16russia.html?pagewanted=all

http://sputniknews.com/analysis/20121003/176382673.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This explains why so many of those russian crash videos are of people pulling out seemingly without looking. They're simply on the wrong side of the car. My mind is blown.

Vodka explains the rest.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Slavvy posted:

I too would like to know how it works in places that don't have bodies of water between them.

I found this bridge which claims to be sat between China (RHD) and Hong Kong (LHD)

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/flipper-bridge-hong-kong-china.jpg

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Isn't there a giant interchange in Africa or something where they switch what side you're driving on as you cross the border?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Slavvy posted:

They do between Macau and mainland China, but it's crossing water

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

1) Us.

2) Places we used to own.

3) Japan, for some reason.

Exceptions

1) drat upstart colonials.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So at what point did the drat upstart colonists switch to the wrong side?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I found a fascinating article about why countries drive on the side of the road they do, which is not a sentence I was expecting to type when I woke up this morning.

Short answer is after the war, because being different to the British was the in thing, for obvious reasons. Also it turns out the reason in Japan is "because we built their railways".

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I'm happy to have cars that drive on the same side as Japan and the UK for now, keeps it interesting enough for direct imports for me.
I would be annoyed if Japan changed over ever though. As long as they stick with us I'm cool with it.
But it's interesting that more and more cars sold here come from Korea and they are LHD country, but sold cheaply here in RHD. While at the same time any USA vehicle is impossible to import due to a $20K conversion and other 'engineering' fees on top. I can buy a whole Korean vehicle for that much.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 24, 2015

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Regarding VW Axle nut chat:

We had 3 ACVWs and 2 Vanagons. This is what we used. You can use it the normal way with a breaker bar, or bash the square part with a hammer.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Vanagoon posted:

We had 3 ACVWs and 2 Vanagons. This is what we used. You can use it the normal way with a breaker bar, or bash the square part with a hammer.

I used to work with a guy who had an old Beetle. Even with a huge breaker bar, he couldn't get the axle nut off, so he would wedge the ratchet handle in the ground and back up over it. This would destroy the ratchet handle, but since it was a Craftsman, he was able to get it replaced for free. Sears started getting suspicious after the second or third one in a brief period of time, so he had to get his wife to swap it out.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I used to work with a guy who had an old Beetle. Even with a huge breaker bar, he couldn't get the axle nut off, so he would wedge the ratchet handle in the ground and back up over it. This would destroy the ratchet handle, but since it was a Craftsman, he was able to get it replaced for free. Sears started getting suspicious after the second or third one in a brief period of time, so he had to get his wife to swap it out.

The Ridiculously Large Screwdriver with a Lifetime Guarantee(TM) is a standard component of the VW toolkit too. Didn't know it applied to ratchets.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Vanagoon posted:

The Ridiculously Large Screwdriver with a Lifetime Guarantee(TM) is a standard component of the VW toolkit too. Didn't know it applied to ratchets.

How else would you do this.. True story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA&t=21s

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Yeah, if I tried that, I'd lose several fingers and the screwdriver would end up in my skull.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

:3:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Get that out of this thread.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Reminds me of the guy who ruined his bike by pouring that in the fuel tank thinking it was an octane booster or some poo poo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

What thread do you think you're in?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vanagoon posted:

Honda crank pulley. Apply either with a loving powerful rattle gun, or jam it against the frame with a 1/2" powerbar and get another power bar -with a long pipe or jack handle over the end- and wrench on it with all your might. How such a small bolt can resist that much torque without shearing is beyond me.

An this lil' fella has a theeng just loike it!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

I thought this was a nerdy engineer's coffee cup.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Wolfsbane posted:

I found a fascinating article about why countries drive on the side of the road they do, which is not a sentence I was expecting to type when I woke up this morning.

Short answer is after the war, because being different to the British was the in thing, for obvious reasons. Also it turns out the reason in Japan is "because we built their railways".

Swedish trains still run on the left track, apparently.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

nm posted:

What thread do you think you're in?

:suicide:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

:stonk: How had they not exploded already?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:psyboom: but with a tire

Also wouldn't that level of overinflation necessitate immediate replacement???

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Were they some insane hypermiler? drat.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That must have been a great ride, bouncing around on a single tread lug. :stare:

I believe I read somewhere that the actual failure point is usually around 350 psi, and tires are ridiculously overengineered, but I would be tempted to tell them to buy a whole new set just to teach the idiot a loving lesson about not doing dumb poo poo that will endanger them and anyone in front of them when they have to panic stop on roller skate wheels.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This is terrible car stuff and a question rolled into one (Or maybe I'm who you share the road with...) but fits with the last topic here - My tires on my four wheeled vehicles always look low despite being at the pressure listed on the door frame. The ride is decent, and they don't wear funny that I've noticed (Not that I've kept many vehicles through more than one or two sets of modern tires) but every time I look at them they make me think something is wrong.

Do I need to stop worrying about it or should I start putting a few more pounds of air in so they stop looking like I'm five minutes from a flat? Maybe I should just post a picture to show what I mean...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've heard tubed dirt bike tires blow up from over inflation, sounded like a shotgun going off. I can't imagine what a tubeless car tire blowing would sound like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've heard tubed dirt bike tires blow up from over inflation, sounded like a shotgun going off. I can't imagine what a tubeless car tire blowing would sound like.

A light ringing.