Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Please tell me the game picks up again after Night 4 of Inaba Pride Exhibit. This floor is awful and really killing the enjoyment I've had up until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The fifth labyrinth is better because the gimmick is all about avoiding the FOEs and they're way easier to deal with than the ones where you are now. They do have instant death spells though so if you gently caress up or panic/binds just refuse to stick there can be issues, but that's just Persona Q for you.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Just use vanish balls, if you encounter the foes in the fifth labyrinth

seems to work fine for me

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The fifth lab also features tiny floors until the last two, which is a nice breather. The downside is that you can't end every encounter on turn one with just Naoto, because it ramps up the amount of enemies immune or resistant to either Light or Dark.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You still can end everything in one turn if you give one person Alice and another Daisoujou. You'll never miss and even with both the thing immune to light and the one that's immune to dark you'll still end it with Die for Me! and Samsara.

Volt Catfish posted:

Just use vanish balls, if you encounter the foes in the fifth labyrinth

seems to work fine for me

Eh they're crazy easy to kill and give a lot of experience. Plus the gimmick one gives really important crafting materials (also the highest exp yield of any FOE, though it's still easier to grind that stupid golden head thing at the top of the third dungeon and they're both worth around ~90k).

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 16, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

How the hell do I clear the Genbu quadrant of 4-4? There doesn't appear to be any way to approach the arch from behind to cross through it.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Kill both of the FOEs guarding it. There's a secret passage behind the FOE on the right, but you still have to defeat at least one to make use of it, so it's not worth the time it takes to slog through the rest of that section to unlock it. If there's another way to cross it I sure don't see it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
You can enter it with a torch through the shortcut and they'll stay a square away from you. I managed to light the archway and get out without needing to fight.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

You can enter it with a torch through the shortcut and they'll stay a square away from you. I managed to light the archway and get out without needing to fight.

Huh, I guess I haven't unlocked whatever shortcut lets you bring a torch in. There must be one cause the game never forces you to fight a random FOE to proceed or even 100% the map. However, are any of the Guy FOEs vulnerable to sleep? I accidentally stumbled upon a hilarious combo: turns out that if you use a multi-hit attack like Myriad Arrows against a sleeping enemy, every hit is guaranteed to land :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

use panic instead and they won't recover when you hit them

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

use panic instead and they won't recover when you hit them

Panic guarantees hits? Jesus. Although I don't have anything that causes Panic on-hand, so Sleep will have to do.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Better than Sleep is Panic. Enemies cannot dodge and can only do normal attacks which have as much chance to hit themselves or allies as they do your party. It also doesn't go away on hit like Sleep. It also works on every single enemy in the game. Nothing is immune to it, only resistant.

I highly, highly recommend extracting Panic Circle from Ukobach and Impure Reach from Incubus to better your chances of it landing on boss enemies.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Alright, combat tricks aside, I am COMPLETELY stumped as to what to do with the Byakko wing on the west. There's a hall with a torch, a pear FOE, and a Sweaty Guy. I can't beat either one in straight combat yet, and using the torch to push the stupid pear just blocks the path. I can't see any other way around, but they never make you fight FOEs apart from the miniboss in the second labyrinth, so I feel like I'm missing some kind of puzzle.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Alabaster White posted:

Alright, combat tricks aside, I am COMPLETELY stumped as to what to do with the Byakko wing on the west. There's a hall with a torch, a pear FOE, and a Sweaty Guy. I can't beat either one in straight combat yet, and using the torch to push the stupid pear just blocks the path. I can't see any other way around, but they never make you fight FOEs apart from the miniboss in the second labyrinth, so I feel like I'm missing some kind of puzzle.

You have to push the pear to the centre of the four-way intersection, then go back and re-light your torch (I believe there's a shortcut if you need it). Time your steps so that when you move close to the pear again, the pear moves north or south (the sweaty guy has to be to the right). That should free the path.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

You have to push the pear to the centre of the four-way intersection, then go back and re-light your torch (I believe there's a shortcut if you need it). Time your steps so that when you move close to the pear again, the pear moves north or south (the sweaty guy has to be to the right). That should free the path.

Ah, I see. The problem is that the shortcut is one-way so the torch is nearly burnt out at the intersection, and I got antsy. I guess I have to set things up so that the Sweaty Guy will be in position before I push the pear in his way.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, by the time I hit the Byakko wing of that floor, I was thoroughly in "gently caress it, murder FOEs" mode, so I never actually found the solution to that puzzle.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

So I'm nearing the end of the game and will probably be starting the other story soon. Quick question: do the Group Date Cafe wedding scenes have different dialogue if you're playing as the other MC? Because I've already seen them all on this playthrough, so I just need to make sure I don't end up wasting my time.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Game and bonus boss over. Between Naoto's brokenness and Kanji with Infinite Link there's basically nothing in the last labyrinth that poses a challenge, on normal at least, except the bosses and one particular kind of FOE. I didn't even go halfway into the superpowered linking party builds that some other folks have done but I didn't feel it was all that necessary at that point anyway. Even the bonus boss wasn't all that bad.

It's a shame you don't get to use any of the super top tier personas in a typical playthrough since the likes of Lucifer, Shiva and my man Yoshitsune need such a high level to summon.

What exactly carries over in a New Game+? I wanna know if I have to buy the best gear before restarting or if it'll still be available in the shop on the next run.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

You keep your levels, money, persona compendium, equipment, and available shop inventory, so you can hold off on buying stuff until NG+.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ajkalan posted:

You keep your levels, money, persona compendium, equipment, and available shop inventory, so you can hold off on buying stuff until NG+.

More precisely, you can choose to keep all of that or toss it and keep your map or toss it. Unfortunately you do have to take all of the levels/money/compendium/equipment/inventory or none of it, you can't keep everything but levels or etc.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I started the game on hard. Was this a mistake? Progress is dreadfully slow.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

ManOfTheYear posted:

I started the game on hard. Was this a mistake? Progress is dreadfully slow.

You can change difficulty in the options menu while at the school, if you like.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
This is an extremely frustrating game and I probably don't know how to play it. I'm constantly dying and I'm on the first dungeon third floor and those big beetles just destroy me. I have lv 8 characters but it sure is hard. Any tips? Changed the difficulty from ahrd to normal.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The beetles are tough. Throw ice attacks at them mercilessly. The game starts getting a lot easier from the second labyrinth onward, and once you get access to multi-target instant death skills (surprisingly early, especially if Naoto's in your party) you can walk over just about everything.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Thuryl posted:

The beetles are tough. Throw ice attacks at them mercilessly. The game starts getting a lot easier from the second labyrinth onward, and once you get access to multi-target instant death skills (surprisingly early, especially if Naoto's in your party) you can walk over just about everything.

And then you get to the 3rd labyrinth and if you're not abusing instant kill spells you get hit with corrosion skills and have your party stunlocked for 3 turns. Really loving annoying.
I had no idea you could instant kill the FOEs in the haunted house, I'll have to give it a go, as the old doll's diaharan kind of pissed me off right when I was about to murder it.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Just run from the beetles, they take too much time to kill and the amount of exp they give you is just not worth it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ZeButler posted:

Yeah, by the time I hit the Byakko wing of that floor, I was thoroughly in "gently caress it, murder FOEs" mode, so I never actually found the solution to that puzzle.

I had the opposite experience: I got bored with killing FOEs so I spent my time trying to solve the puzzles in the last quarter of the game.

DoctorX posted:

Just run from the beetles, they take too much time to kill and the amount of exp they give you is just not worth it.

Yes. I mean, you can kill them, and it's not incredibly hard or anything, but the risk that they'll crit someone twice struck me as too high to be worth the bother.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I got through the first dungeon and started the second, adn I gotta say I don't really care too much for this game. Not that it's bad, but with p4 you had the school life and s-links and fishing and stuff to accompany the dungeon roaming so there was so much to do besides fighting, which was amazing and spiced things up. Here, you only get the dungeons and fansevicey stuff, not necessarily in sexual sense, but just having all the characters hanging out with each other and screaming out their personality gimmicks at the same time like "protein" and "steak". That's pretty boring and a bit too cutesy for my tastes, so there isn't that much interest for me to see the how the story unfolds nad just going through the dungeons is kind of an slog.

I'd probably enjoy an Etrian Odussey game more and even though P4 was amazing and one of my favorite games ever, I'd like to see something with new characters and new setting for Persona rather than going on and on with P4 (and 3)

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
EO games are just dungeon though. Very little plot.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

DoctorX posted:

You probably have a higher chance of game overing trying to run from them then actually fighting them

ManOfTheYear posted:

I got through the first dungeon and started the second, adn I gotta say I don't really care too much for this game. Not that it's bad, but with p4 you had the school life and s-links and fishing and stuff to accompany the dungeon roaming so there was so much to do besides fighting, which was amazing and spiced things up. Here, you only get the dungeons and fansevicey stuff, not necessarily in sexual sense, but just having all the characters hanging out with each other and screaming out their personality gimmicks at the same time like "protein" and "steak". That's pretty boring and a bit too cutesy for my tastes, so there isn't that much interest for me to see the how the story unfolds nad just going through the dungeons is kind of an slog.

This is fair but I really liked Zen and Rei and their story, so :shrug: It was more about them than the pretty muted P3/P4 fanservice collab for me

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Iceclaw posted:

EO games are just dungeon though. Very little plot.

For this style of game, I think that's a good thing. I did like the plot that was there in the EO games, though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

How do I get to be even more strong? Heat Riser + Dragon's Cry + Power Charge + Myriad Arrows is pretty awesome, but I want even more damage!!!

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Volt Catfish posted:

How do I get to be even more strong? Heat Riser + Dragon's Cry + Power Charge + Myriad Arrows is pretty awesome, but I want even more damage!!!

If you just want sheer overkill numbers, you'll need orgia mode and shura tensei as well since those don't take up buff slots while giving large damage multiplier bonuses.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Bloody Vanguard and Shura Tensei.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Bloody Vanguard, Death's Scythe, the one that makes crits do more damage, Shura Tensei. Get to work! :backtowork:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Isn't Hasou Toubi and Danse Macabre better than Myriad Arrows, or am I remembering wrong?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Isn't Hasou Toubi and Danse Macabre better than Myriad Arrows, or am I remembering wrong?

Danse Macabre hits less times, it's 5-7 rather than 6-8. Hassou Tobi is always 8 though so it's better. I don't think the individual hits do especially more damage but I'm honestly not sure.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Danse Macabre hits less times, it's 5-7 rather than 6-8. Hassou Tobi is always 8 though so it's better. I don't think the individual hits do especially more damage but I'm honestly not sure.

They also don't have Myriad Arrows' accuracy penalty, which can be nice if agility bind/panic fails to stick.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Finally beat the game. I can confirm Panic is stupidly broken the whole way through. The final boss hit me a grand total of one time before he died. It was with a single attack that did half damage thanks to Swordbreaker. :toot:

The deliviery on Yukiko's "He'd be awful at it" is amazing.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ManOfTheYear posted:

I'd probably enjoy an Etrian Odussey game more and even though P4 was amazing and one of my favorite games ever, I'd like to see something with new characters and new setting for Persona rather than going on and on with P4 (and 3)

I understand, I'm at the 4th dungeon and while I enjoyed my time with the game I don't think I would recommend it to anyone. EO4 is a better dungeon crawler, Persona is a better RPG. Even the fighting game has the crossover fan service aspect already covered.

• Locked thread