Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

I wonder what the planet must think now.

"Well, poo poo." kinda sums it up I guess

"I guess I'll wait a century or two, then VENGEANCE WILL ME MINE. He can't live forever."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Annointed posted:

"I guess I'll wait a century or two, then VENGEANCE WILL ME MINE. He can't live forever."
That depends. How well does the Grim Reaper take a punch?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Elentor posted:

Of course the entire joke is that Saitama's "power level" doesn't matter, and it's incredible how someone can write a story around that premise without getting boring.

Seriously. Murata's art is incredible, but just as incredible is ONE's storytelling. The dude really is a manga genius, if you can be a manga genius with a minimum of artistic ability.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I was rereading, and I noticed someone in a crowd.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Wittgen posted:

I was rereading, and I noticed someone in a crowd.

Wonder what dating sim he's got in his bag.
:allears:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Squidster posted:

I think the only way to defeat Saitama is to get him to punch his own lights out.

Eject him into space and chalk it up as a win for as long as it takes for him to come back and kick your rear end.

It's winning via "Ring Out", just on a planetary scale.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
It really is a testament to the writer's ability to have 'can defeat anyone in a single punch' as the running joke of the manga and still make it work, only ever needing addendums of 'but first he needs to get in that punch' or 'so long as he's not holding back'.

Elentor posted:

Yea, exactly. I think most of the creatures Saitama fights early on (especially Asura Rhino) are way above the average S-Rank. The storytelling is good because there's a tension buildup in the story as a whole, but only because we start to see the point-of-view of other characters - we see mostly Saitama early on and he's just walking around casually one-punching things to death.

Of course the entire joke is that Saitama's "power level" doesn't matter, and it's incredible how someone can write a story around that premise without getting boring.

But yes, certainly key is the fact that whilst Saitama is an unstoppable champion of Charles Atlas, the rest of the cast are not, and the fact Saitama exists allows for the narrative to go as high as it wants for villains - and subsequently, leave the side characters struggling even harder to keep pace. The fight with the Sea King is probably the most on the dot about this, since knowing Saitama may show up eventually means we don't have to worry on 'the world' staying safe - but the characters who have to hold said Sea King off till Saitama arrives? That's a different matter entirely.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Astro Nut posted:

It really is a testament to the writer's ability to have 'can defeat anyone in a single punch' as the running joke of the manga and still make it work, only ever needing addendums of 'but first he needs to get in that punch' or 'so long as he's not holding back'.

Those aren't the addendums, or even terribly important. There's not any question as to the winner of any fight Saitama's in, and pretending that he might somehow get killed by Fubuki's Hell Wind -> Psychic Tornado -> Concrete Beartrap -> Boxcutter combo string if he doesn't get serious fast enough is just silly.

Onepunch Man works the same way a good Superman story does--it's not a question of whether or not he can defeat Asura Rhino, or Braniac, or Goku. It's just a story about someone who can walk into any bank vault on the planet and take absolutely everything, but has the strength not to.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Elite posted:

Eject him into space and chalk it up as a win for as long as it takes for him to come back and kick your rear end.

It's winning via "Ring Out", just on a planetary scale.

Yeah but, when he got thrown to the moon, he wasn't even gone long enough for a ten-count.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Squidster posted:

I think the only way to defeat Saitama is to get him to punch his own lights out.

The fly in the early chapters had the right idea. Annoy Saitama. Get him to use a full powered punch on himself.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Elentor posted:

Boros was the only non-human to take more than one punch and survive, Saitama even comments on how incredible that is and that he is really powerful.

On the other hand, he only managed that due to bullshit regeneration. Every time Saitama lands a clean hit, the battle pretty moves on to its next phase.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

On the other hand, he only managed that due to bullshit regeneration. Every time Saitama lands a clean hit, the battle pretty moves on to its next phase.

Kind of like a multi stage boss in new game+

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Welp, for the first time in my life, I'm actually caught up with One Punch.

Now to wait til the 5th. :negative:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
go read the ONE version :unsmigghh:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Better yet, go read threads on comicvine and poo poo where people ask if Saitama could beat up Superman and then DC fanboys fall over themselves demanding metrics.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Better yet, go read threads on comicvine and poo poo where people ask if Saitama could beat up Superman and then DC fanboys fall over themselves demanding metrics.

Supes would beat the poo poo out of Saitama in a ft10 in Injustice

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Guy A. Person posted:

oh my gosh Genos's smug face when he realized she was targetting Saitama for hazing was hilarious

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This would start a big stalemate fight that gets interrupted by Speed of Sound Sonic ( :lol: ) and Lex Luthor trying to take advantage of it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shugojin posted:

This would start a big stalemate fight that gets interrupted by Speed of Sound Sonic ( :lol: ) and Lex Luthor trying to take advantage of it.

Sounds like a really great crossover.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Saitama's always looking for a good challenge. I imagine he and Supes would actually quite enjoy a friendly sparring match in some uninhabited star system somewhere.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But what if we add Goku into the mix?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Saitama vs Goku

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Goku died twice, Saitama not once. I know where my money's going.

Mr. Satan.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Saitama vs Goku

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Didn't someone link Vegeta v.s. Saitama, and Vegeta got Saitama's phone number because he was enjoying the fight alot?

edit: Yeah that would be the one. :v:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Is there a translated version of it?

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Beef Waifu posted:

Saitama vs Goku

This was already covered in my stronger than Goku thread. Saitama would beat Goku.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Goku isn't really that strong but he's persistent as heck and every try his strength multiplies.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Imagine how powerful Saitama would be if he went SSJ3. He could send a car flying by winking at it.

But would he grow his hair back or would his bald head just glow brightly like a lightbulb?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MONKET posted:

Imagine how powerful Saitama would be if he went SSJ3. He could send a car flying by winking at it.

But would he grow his hair back or would his bald head just glow brightly like a lightbulb?

Giant eyebrows.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Until Goku can push the Earth without breaking it, I doubt he can challenge Superman or Saitama.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Beef Waifu posted:

Saitama vs Goku

Again id say team 4star Goku. Because muffin button.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The more powerful Saitama is, the shinier his head gets.

*ting*

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
God I love speed of sound sonic, he's so menacing and cool but so, so underpowered compared to the target of his ire, I love how he keeps coming back and upping the stakes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

The fly in the early chapters had the right idea. Annoy Saitama. Get him to use a full powered punch on himself.

Her mosquito swarm probably came closer than anything else to actually hurting Saitama. He is amazingly resilient, but not completely invulnerable. He can bleed, so if the mosquitos could pierce his skin (granted, that's a pretty big if) they could drain him dry. Of course, he could have gotten rid of them in any number of ways, but Saitama prefers to solve problems by talking it out and/or punching.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Wait, what? When has current Saitama ever bled? Sure, he did a time or two back when he still had hair, but once he accented to Caped Baldy mode, I don't think I've seen anything more than dirt smudges.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
He bled in his dreams when he was hoping to find a worthy opponent. So no I don't think so.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Saitama would beat Goku, Supes, anyone at all because he is the ultimate gag character. He is the strongest. He wins by default, because that is his function. It's like asking if Arale or Squirrel Girl could beat a given character.

It's not about whom Saitama could beat, it's about if he would hang out with them.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah supes comics might actually be good if he had anywhere near the humor Saitama brings to OPM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Would Saitama go out with Squirrel Girl