Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ChaosArgate posted:

Dracula X, the SNES game, is the neutered version of Rondo. Dracula X is on the eShop. Rondo is the original version on the PC-Engine CD, which was brought to the Wii Shop Channel.

Huh. I never knew that and booted up the Wii Shop Channel so I could get it and I already have it. :psyduck:

Nolgthorn posted:

For some reason I convinced myself rainbow curse was built in 3D and made to look like clay. Not that a whole bunch of Japanese people sat around a table having fun building Kirby stuff. Does anyone have any more making-of.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_news/150121/kirby_making/index.html

So awesome.

And this, this may have just convinced me to get Rainbow Curse. I've never played a Kirby game in my life but goddamn I am a sucker for that kind of dedication to quality!

Also, just weighing in, Samus rules. Can't wait to get Metroid Prime Trilogy next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bought Bayonetta 2, and Super Smash Brothers for Wii U for my first Wii U games.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Silver Falcon posted:

And this, this may have just convinced me to get Rainbow Curse. I've never played a Kirby game in my life but goddamn I am a sucker for that kind of dedication to quality!

The other thing Nintendo is doing that seems to target me directly is they're making these high quality games concise and short. I hear Rainbow Curse is something like 10 to 12 hours long that's awesome, after years of OMG dudes new falcon fps 9000 is 70 hours long! New pos x mymomsucks is 90 hours!

Who has time for that?

They're releasing these high quality concise games for less than usual Treasure Tracker and Rainbow Curse are both $40.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I said come in! posted:

I bought Bayonetta 2, and Super Smash Brothers for Wii U for my first Wii U games.
You chose wisely.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

that's good, but I'm going to have to insist you buy Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong and The Wonderful 101

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Austrian mook posted:

that's good, but I'm going to have to insist you buy Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong and The Wonderful 101

He may also want to pick up Captain Toad at some point and Metroid Prime Trilogy when it's $10 next week.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Nolgthorn posted:

The other thing Nintendo is doing that seems to target me directly is they're making these high quality games concise and short. I hear Rainbow Curse is something like 10 to 12 hours long that's awesome, after years of OMG dudes new falcon fps 9000 is 70 hours long! New pos x mymomsucks is 90 hours!

Who has time for that?

They're releasing these high quality concise games for less than usual Treasure Tracker and Rainbow Curse are both $40.

Thank god for that. The industry practice of artificially padding out a game's length because otherwise Very Important Games Journalists would complain that it was too short has gone out of hand in recent years, especially now that the trend is setting everything in big, empty open worlds where half of your game time is spent traveling from point A to point B and back again.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Think I am going to pick up Wind Waker HD this week. Never played it on GameCube so it'll all be new to me. Then I'm going to look into the next game for my GF and I when we beat SM3DW.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Mario 3D World comes packaged with the Wii U. :homebrew: I'll buy the other two tho.

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
After not turning my wii u on once since I bought it on launch day, I have been just absolutely engrossed with Mario, DK, and smash. So good.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I just bought the NSMBU/Super Luigi U combo from GameStop. And got Smash Bros as a birthday gift. This is a good week for cuteness. :angel:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

da anime bulldog posted:

After not turning my wii u on once since I bought it on launch day, I have been just absolutely engrossed with Mario, DK, and smash. So good.

Definitely look into Hyrule Warriors next! That thing was, surprisingly, my most played Wii U game last year. It is just fantastic.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sad to find out that Nintendo just recently closed the Animal Crossing Plaza. Really hope Animal Crossing Wii U is announced soon.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Please discuss the Mario timeline

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Silver Falcon posted:

Definitely look into Hyrule Warriors next! That thing was, surprisingly, my most played Wii U game last year. It is just fantastic.

If you like Dynasty Warriors games Hyrule Warriors is among the best of them. If you don't like DW games, don't expect it to change your mind.

Every time I'm almost done with the game, they release new DLC. I will be playing it forever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think Super Mario Brothers 2 should be in the timeline. Wasn't it all a dream in Mario's head? Like the movie Inception is based on Mario Brothers 2.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I don't think Super Mario Brothers 2 should be in the timeline. Wasn't it all a dream in Mario's head? Like the movie Inception is based on Mario Brothers 2.

The Mario timeline isn't even that hard, smh.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

but then where did the shy guys who show up in later mario games come from? What about Birdo? None of these characters were in Mario 1 or 3 or even mario World I think.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Stumpalitious posted:

Think I am going to pick up Wind Waker HD this week. Never played it on GameCube so it'll all be new to me. Then I'm going to look into the next game for my GF and I when we beat SM3DW.

Wind Waker HD changed my life now I'm a astronaut.

Nobody is talking about Resident Evil Revelations? It is a port from the 3DS and seems to have good reviews, sounds like it has taken the franchise sort of back to the original game. I want to buy it, should I not buy it? Nobody has mentioned it a single time and I only found out it exists.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't believe in a Mario timeline. I think it's all a story being retold by people who sympathize with either Bowser or Mario.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Miyamoto has said he likes to think of the Mario characters as a theatre troupe that act out different stories so Mario and Bowser are actually bffs

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Miyamoto has said he likes to think of the Mario characters as a theatre troupe that act out different stories so Mario and Bowser are actually bffs

Mario 3 was actually a stage play, so this makes sense.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

I said come in! posted:

The SMB2 he put on his timeline is The Lost Levels.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Help Im Alive posted:

And it's the greatest, cutest interpretation of all time

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Austrian mook posted:

but then where did the shy guys who show up in later mario games come from? What about Birdo? None of these characters were in Mario 1 or 3 or even mario World I think.

SMB2 is Mario's brain trying to rationalise all the crazy hosed up poo poo he saw on Yoshi's Island as a baby.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

IronicDongz posted:

And it's the greatest, cutest interpretation of all time

Given NoA retweeting this tweet, maybe it's true.

https://twitter.com/McDonalds/status/556869363719208960

quote:

Their friendship just got a 1-Up.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
As dumb as a Mario timeline is I think that video was nice.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The Chibi-Robo timeline makes a bit more sense I think.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'll be honest, just seeing the Pikmin game's box art makes me wanna play them again.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

the best most official timeline is the dk one though

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The Great Banana Split
Oh my God.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

the best most official timeline is the dk one though

Every time I see that, I laugh loudly at "the Great Banana Split" and get weird looks from friends and family for the rest of the week.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
So, I'm looking into getting a Wii U for my daughter and I. I already own a Wii with a ton of VC games on it and I see that I can apparently transfer those over to the Wii U, but I have a few other questions because I either can't find the answers or am getting conflicting info from other places on the Internet.

1. Do all of the VC games carry over to the Wii U? I don't get what some people are talking about when they mention "upgraded" games.

2. Can I transfer more than one Wii's VC games to a family Wii U? My wife has a Wii of her own with a few games and we were wondering if we could consolidate them on one Wii U.

3. The refurbished U seems to be the way to go price-wise, but is that the best Wii U? Those are deluxes, yes?

Thanks!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Overemotional Robot posted:

So, I'm looking into getting a Wii U for my daughter and I. I already own a Wii with a ton of VC games on it and I see that I can apparently transfer those over to the Wii U, but I have a few other questions because I either can't find the answers or am getting conflicting info from other places on the Internet.

1. Do all of the VC games carry over to the Wii U? I don't get what some people are talking about when they mention "upgraded" games.

2. Can I transfer more than one Wii's VC games to a family Wii U? My wife has a Wii of her own with a few games and we were wondering if we could consolidate them on one Wii U.

3. The refurbished U seems to be the way to go price-wise, but is that the best Wii U? Those are deluxes, yes?

Thanks!

1. Wii Virtual Console games can be played on Wii U, but you have to enter a special "Wii mode" to do it, which replicates the original Wii console. In this mode, newer controllers (like the Gamepad and the Pro Controller) won't work.

'Upgraded' games are ones that have been added to the Wii U's VC selection. Those games can be accessed from the system's main menu, they allow the newer controllers, and they have a couple new features added (custom control mapping and save states).

The Wii U VC library has NES, SNES, and GBA games. NES games cost $1 to upgrade if you already have the original Wii version, and SNES games cost $1.50.

2. As far as I'm aware this is possible.

3. The refurbished Wii Us are deluxes, which means they have the 32GB internal storage. However, the Deluxe Digital Promotion is over, and I've heard the refurbished models don't come with a stand or dock for your Gamepad.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You can find the stand and dock for under $5 at Walmart.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I had no idea there was a Yoshi's Island DS until it ended up on these timelines. I assume it is worse than the original, but is it at least better than Yoshi's New Island?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DS was really bad. New Yoshi is a little better.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Supercar Gautier posted:

1. Wii Virtual Console games can be played on Wii U, but you have to enter a special "Wii mode" to do it, which replicates the original Wii console. In this mode, newer controllers (like the Gamepad and the Pro Controller) won't work.

'Upgraded' games are ones that have been added to the Wii U's VC selection. Those games can be accessed from the system's main menu, they allow the newer controllers, and they have a couple new features added (custom control mapping and save states).

The Wii U VC library has NES, SNES, and GBA games. NES games cost $1 to upgrade if you already have the original Wii version, and SNES games cost $1.50.

2. As far as I'm aware this is possible.

3. The refurbished Wii Us are deluxes, which means they have the 32GB internal storage. However, the Deluxe Digital Promotion is over, and I've heard the refurbished models don't come with a stand or dock for your Gamepad.

Thanks for the feedback! I really hope we can transfer both Wii VC games, as I really don't want to buy a few of those at full price again.

What about any unspent points remaining on the Wii shop channel? Are those just lost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Those points will carry over (the Wii Shop Channel is still available within Wii Mode), but unfortunately they're separate from your Wii U eShop balance (which is in real dollars now) so it's a pain in the rear end to actually use them.

• Locked thread