Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Belasarius posted:

trade routes are still bugged right? it gives the traits to the target of the route instead of you.
Only if you refuse to take the priests with you. Take the priests, and it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Okay, I need some diplo-expert help here.

Here is Britain:

Ireland is a Tanistry ruled by my dynasty. England (AI renamed it 'Sasana' for some reason) is a Gavelkind ruled by my dynasty. Wales is an Elective with the current leader matrilineally married into my dynasty but their leader is loving absolutely everybody except his wife and I have no dynasty members up for vote. The Duke of Ulster invaded Wales twice for I-honestly-have-no-idea and managed to take two counties. Screencap's from between those two wars. England has also snatched up all those errant Southern realms and is currently fighting Wales for the two counties in its De Jure kingdom.

I picked up one Scottish county in a holy war, and I've got a bunch of Scottish nobles hanging around my court with claims I can press from county to kingdom level, but they're all already married and have a bunch of their own kids/heirs lined up. Everybody is Aquitaine-Cognatic.

How do I get everything together to form the Empire of Brittania? Ideally as Ireland, since Dublin has ridiculous technology right now so I don't want to move capitals, and because I want to try and install an empire-wide tanistry succession.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 24, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Played the Birthright mod. I highly recommend it if you like D&D or fantasy. Chose one of the gnoll nations, raided the gently caress out of my neighbours. Captured a couple guys. Castrated them because I'm evil and they wanted to get married or were lustful and it seemed like the right choice at the time. Was such an awesome dude that several fights went with no casualties for me. The elves can suck it.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
Goddamnit Karl, this is the worst I've seen him do yet

All 3 of those revolts are middle Franciscan.

I don't even know what the hell is going on with Bohemia, all I know is that Karl never touched the Saxons.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

catlord posted:

Played the Birthright mod. I highly recommend it if you like D&D or fantasy. Chose one of the gnoll nations, raided the gently caress out of my neighbours. Captured a couple guys. Castrated them because I'm evil and they wanted to get married or were lustful and it seemed like the right choice at the time. Was such an awesome dude that several fights went with no casualties for me. The elves can suck it.

I'd vaguely heard of this mod before, but your promise of gnolls makes me want to download it ASAP. Does it have a Game of Thrones or Project Balance-style duel engine built-in? These days I can hardly imagine playing a mod without it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Haha, I tried hunting to keep my Patrician alive long enough to turn the election around and are the hunting buddies supposed to spawn without education? Seems a tad, strange, to be honest.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Haha, I tried hunting to keep my Patrician alive long enough to turn the election around and are the hunting buddies supposed to spawn without education? Seems a tad, strange, to be honest.

Yeah, it's weird. They're the only event characters in the game that spawns without an education trait, which leads me to believe it's an unintended bug. Then again, I've gotten hunting buddies with 20 martial before, so they could theoretically get pretty insane if they spawned with, say, brilliant strategist.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
I was trying to play a dynasty game where I play as England and attempt to spew my seed all over the world but I have run into a bit of a snag. I defeated the HRE and became the HRE Emperor which is great since I can now place one of my kinsmen on the throne but I don't know how to do this and revert myself back to the independent king of England. Is my only choice to grant England independence? I'm playing on ironman so no console tricks.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tanreall posted:

I was trying to play a dynasty game where I play as England and attempt to spew my seed all over the world but I have run into a bit of a snag. I defeated the HRE and became the HRE Emperor which is great since I can now place one of my kinsmen on the throne but I don't know how to do this and revert myself back to the independent king of England. Is my only choice to grant England independence? I'm playing on ironman so no console tricks.

You could give another family member the Kingdom titles under the HRE, grant him independence with near complete control of the De jure HRE, and he'd probably usurp your empire title.

Alternatively, get a second imperial title, like Britannia, and you can then grant the HRE to someone else.

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

Yo, those ridiculous troop numbers in WTWSMS aren't strictly speaking a bug. They're a side effect of the migration mechanics. You spawn troops for every province you own, and they never go away. Messing around I was able to accumulate around 30 trillion dudes over the course of seven migrations from the deep steppe to Spain. It's so broken that even the AI is capable of abusing it in its own muddled way (then again, they also seem to leave those troops lying around on neighboring counties for decades at a time, so they sometimes never wind up actually using them to fight anyone.)

I'm not even certain how anyone looked at that CB as it stands and thought "yeah this seems okay", even for a preliminary version.

forkis fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 24, 2015

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Sometimes being a lunatic pays off. :)

I still got a -10 opinion malus with pretty much everyone.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are there any unique events/modifiers you can get as possessed if you're not playing as a Christian? I know you can get the "voice of Jesus/Satan", but I think that might be Unique to Christians.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Reveilled posted:

You could give another family member the Kingdom titles under the HRE, grant him independence with near complete control of the De jure HRE, and he'd probably usurp your empire title.

Alternatively, get a second imperial title, like Britannia, and you can then grant the HRE to someone else.

no, you cannot Grant Independence to anyone holding De Jure land in your titles. It would be far too easy to imprison anyone you don't like this way - grant them some backwater barony, make them "independent", instantly crush them with 10s of thousands of troops in a De Jure War.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

Goddamnit Karl, this is the worst I've seen him do yet

He subsequently lost every single title he held to other dynasties, had his wife die of typhoid, became French, and now is bumming around in the court of Pepin, who managed to reconquer Middle Francia (but, of course, founded a new dynasty).

Sucks to be him.

Broken Cog posted:

Are there any unique events/modifiers you can get as possessed if you're not playing as a Christian? I know you can get the "voice of Jesus/Satan", but I think that might be Unique to Christians.

No, but I'm pretty sure those events aren't specific to Christians.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

Only if you refuse to take the priests with you. Take the priests, and it works fine.

That's good to know, although I did that the first time and they actually ruined the whole thing!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

catlord posted:

I'd warn against anyone playing the birthright mod for a few weeks actually. The transition over to 2.3 broke a bunch of stuff related to the duel engine so it's possible to get locked into a duel event, unable to continue the game. This happens to the AI frequently enough that characters killed in duels will still go on living half-lives were they're as brain-dead as the AI was when the levy bug was around.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Okay, I need some diplo-expert help here.

Here is Britain:

Ireland is a Tanistry ruled by my dynasty. England (AI renamed it 'Sasana' for some reason) is a Gavelkind ruled by my dynasty. Wales is an Elective with the current leader matrilineally married into my dynasty but their leader is loving absolutely everybody except his wife and I have no dynasty members up for vote. The Duke of Ulster invaded Wales twice for I-honestly-have-no-idea and managed to take two counties. Screencap's from between those two wars. England has also snatched up all those errant Southern realms and is currently fighting Wales for the two counties in its De Jure kingdom.

I picked up one Scottish county in a holy war, and I've got a bunch of Scottish nobles hanging around my court with claims I can press from county to kingdom level, but they're all already married and have a bunch of their own kids/heirs lined up. Everybody is Aquitaine-Cognatic.

How do I get everything together to form the Empire of Brittania? Ideally as Ireland, since Dublin has ridiculous technology right now so I don't want to move capitals, and because I want to try and install an empire-wide tanistry succession.

I'd switch to seniority succession. You can go back to tanistry after you've accumulated enough to form Britannia.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Another question about these Muslims. Now as this other guy my PIety seems to be falling for no reason that I can tell. I'm not sure what's doing it. It's over 1000 one minute then it's down to 797. What in the world is going on here?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kawalimus posted:

Another question about these Muslims. Now as this other guy my PIety seems to be falling for no reason that I can tell. I'm not sure what's doing it. It's over 1000 one minute then it's down to 797. What in the world is going on here?

County Conquests cost Piety, and fighting other Muslims is 2 piety/month.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Changing laws also costs piety.

Kyyrewyyoae
Jul 20, 2007

Vae debilibus!
As a Norse ruler, is there anything besides reformation that I need to do to change succession laws? I reformed but gavelkind is still the only option. Do I need to be have a certain level of CA, or be feudal? Primogeniture, elective, etc aren't even listed on the laws screen.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

County Conquests cost Piety, and fighting other Muslims is 2 piety/month.

Yeah but I haven't done enough conquests to knock me down that much. That's 50 piety per thing. Does imprisoning people cost Piety? It doesn't say as far as I know but sometimes I have to imprison my decadent relatives.

edit: Changing laws could have done it also but I only have done that once as this guy and I swear it's happened more than that.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Here is Britain:

AI renamed it 'Sasana' for some reason)

Did the AI actually rename it or is the king a really weird culture? That's just bizarre.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Kyyrewyyoae posted:

As a Norse ruler, is there anything besides reformation that I need to do to change succession laws? I reformed but gavelkind is still the only option. Do I need to be have a certain level of CA, or be feudal? Primogeniture, elective, etc aren't even listed on the laws screen.

You need to be feudal to get the non-poo poo succession laws.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

Did the AI actually rename it or is the king a really weird culture? That's just bizarre.

It's the Irish culture name for England.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah but I haven't done enough conquests to knock me down that much. That's 50 piety per thing. Does imprisoning people cost Piety? It doesn't say as far as I know but sometimes I have to imprison my decadent relatives.

Are you lustful and cynical? That's pushed my down to negative piety gain in the early game occasionally.

Odobenidae posted:

"Sasana" is Irish for "England". Sometimes it's cool, but I really wish their was a localization toggle.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

nutranurse posted:

I'd warn against anyone playing the birthright mod for a few weeks actually. The transition over to 2.3 broke a bunch of stuff related to the duel engine so it's possible to get locked into a duel event, unable to continue the game. This happens to the AI frequently enough that characters killed in duels will still go on living half-lives were they're as brain-dead as the AI was when the levy bug was around.

Oh! That's good to know. I didn't get into any duels so I never noticed. I guess this also answers the other guy's question about the whether or not the duel mod is in.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You can't declare wars on the Abbs if they're revolting and you're Sunni. :psyduck:

Why the hell not?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You can't declare wars on the Abbs if they're revolting and you're Sunni. :psyduck:

Why the hell not?

It's likely because the Abbasid Emperor is also the Sunni Caliph, which would make him your head of religion.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Trying a start as a non-marrying Seductor.
I currently have something like 48 children.
At one point, both Karl and Karloman's wives were my lovers, except Karl's died in childbirth about a day before Karl croaked it.
The problem with having so many children is that I accidentally married my daughter with my son (recognised by his mother's husband) and they had an Inbred child. But at least he's Attractive!

I've legitimised a very impressive Son, but there's still some serious regression-to-the-mean going on.
My biggest hope is that I can somehow get alliances with anyone even remotely threatening to my little corner of the world.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I've tried that a few times, but it hasn't seemed to work out: What's the best way to baby factory as a seductor?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Neopie posted:

I've tried that a few times, but it hasn't seemed to work out: What's the best way to baby factory as a seductor?
A successful seduction has a 50% chance of impregnating them regardless of (positive) fertility and how many kids you currently have. You probably don't want to actually make anyone your lover, because then you can't seduce them anymore, and you're at the mercy of the normal behind-the-scenes impregnation chance and the soft limit of ten children. Just constantly be seducing if you want to maximize children.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Also, can you not legitimize bastards if you get one from a married woman?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Man, NO ONE will vassalize to Jews.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

dj_clawson posted:

It's impossible to diplo-vassalize rulers of different religions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Odobenidae posted:

It's likely because the Abbasid Emperor is also the Sunni Caliph, which would make him your head of religion.

I've never had a problem waging war on the Pope as a Catholic.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

dj_clawson posted:

Not just that but pagans won't convert to Judaism to avoid you crushing them in holy wars.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Not just that but pagans won't convert to Judaism to avoid you crushing them in holy wars.

Yes that's what I'm taking about. Which is helpful, but not. I've had pagans vassalize to me when I was a Catholic, but they were unreformed pagans. Jewish chaplains are also not allowed to preach in foreign-held territory.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

dj_clawson posted:

Jewish chaplains are also not allowed to preach in foreign-held territory.

Ah, is this a recent change? I remember I had a game a couple expansions ago as Norse pagan Britannia where I converted to Judaism after a Jewish chaplain from Egypt converted my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I guess this may be a loaded question, but, all things being equal: which starting date do you guys find yourselves going back to? I myself am of the opinion that the original 1066 dates are the way to go. Things are a bit less blobby, there are decidedly less Karlings, and I feel like the good people at Paradox took the longest time balancing this (these) starting dates over all the others that have come subsequently.

I suppose an argument could be made for the Old God's date, but I am not a Viking kind of player so I have never really given it much of a chance! I am super boring and like to play as Catholics, so living under the Karling Family Clowncar tends to get old after a while.

• Locked thread