Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh man how sick would it be if it actually was first person and a slowburn. I always wished From Software made a straight up horror game. They do such a great job of working horror elements into King's Field, Demon's Souls, Kuon, Otogi, etc. I'd kill to play a straight up first person horror game from them.

Check out the Echo Night series (or just Echo Night Beyond, really).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

ovaries posted:

Check out the Echo Night series (or just Echo Night Beyond, really).

Seconding this. Nothing has come close to Echo Night Beyond. (The other Echo Nights aren't bad, but somewhat dated.)

There is Hungry Ghosts, but that's still in translation limbo.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

NotAnArtist posted:

TEW was a decent game. The story is pretty nonsensical unless you're paying very close attention and reading everything you come across, but the combat is pretty good. The environments are also quite a lot of fun to explore.

I know it's not RE4, but if I want that style of game would I be good to grab that? I've got enough actual horror in Alien: Isolation right now.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Mr E posted:

I know it's not RE4, but if I want that style of game would I be good to grab that? I've got enough actual horror in Alien: Isolation right now.

Yes. Simple answer!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Caitlin posted:

Yes. Simple answer!

Yep. TEW is basically RE4 with a less loveable cast. There's a weird humour to the game too, like using green slime to somehow make your weapons hold more ammunition. The game is a real challenge on normal difficulty; I played on sissy babby mode because I just wanted to see the thing through.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
You talked me in to it, tall man.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
The kickstarter for Night Cry is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/project-scissors-nightcry

I'm so unreasonably pumped for another clock tower.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadow Tower Abyss is the perfect culmination of horror and dungeon crawling that From Software released. And of course it never came out of Japan.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shadow Tower Abyss does have a fantranslation though and I wouldn't really say it's horror; the original Shadow Tower was a bit more tense for me.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Shadow Tower Abyss is rad and I'd really like to see From make a modern first person rpg

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'll argue Demon's Souls is straight up a survival horror game with RPG elements.

But yeah I really want From to make a new first person game. Is the first Shadow Tower worth playing? Everyone talks about Abyss and never the original. For the record I love the original King's Field so low fidelity graphics/controls aren't an issue.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I'll argue Demon's Souls is straight up a survival horror game with RPG elements.

But yeah I really want From to make a new first person game. Is the first Shadow Tower worth playing? Everyone talks about Abyss and never the original. For the record I love the original King's Field so low fidelity graphics/controls aren't an issue.

If you don't object to King's Field style then you'll probably enjoy Shadow Tower as well. My problem is that King's Field is kind of like FS' answer to Ultima Underworld where Shadow Tower is like a pure dungeon crawling spin off of King's Field. The levels are small and linear, leveling up happens automatically as you kill monsters, and there's a greater emphasis on equipment with durability ratings. It's very much a first person action dungeon crawler and Abyss stands over it as having a far better atmosphere and the best first person combat out of all their early games.

Best analogy is that if King's Field is Lands of Lore then Shadow Tower is Eye of the Beholder. Not necessarily worse, just different.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Neither Shadow Tower is properly balanced for ranged combat though. It's not a huge issue in the first game as you don't get crossbows and the like until much later on in the game but they can cheese the final bosses because they can't hit you while you can hit them. In Abyss, you start off with ranged weapons but have very little ammo but by the mid to late game you'll have enough currency to buy as much ammo as you want and enemies still aren't balanced against ranged attacks.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I picked up Resident Evil REMake on Steam and at first appearances it's a fantastic port. Controls great (using a 360 controller anyway), video looks stellar and has plenty of options to tweak, and I'm excited to get into it given I've never played any of the Resident Evil games.

The thing that's killing me already though is the level transitions. 5-10 seconds to move between rooms because you're stuck there watching a door opening animation, and the rooms are all pretty small. Wasn't the original reason they did that as a sort of loading screen due to technical limitations, did it really need to carry over to modern hardware? Maybe I'm just super impatient with games now.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I heard theres already a mod that removes those somewhere.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/3092/door-skip-mod-v1

This one?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I mean it's still there because it's Classic, and also not Resident Evil without it???

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I agree. If you are an old school Resident Evil player, those loading screens are like wrapping up in your favorite old blanket. Triggers some mad nostalgia, especially some of the sound effects (ticking clock comes to mind). For new players though, I can see why it would be annoying.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Those load screens made 6 year old me afraid of the house we had just moved into because my bedroom door looked like the door to the attic where you fight Yawn.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The room transitions were most likely kept in because that was part of the original games and in some way they could be used to build dread or set up jump scares or something. Its strange though because in the pc ports of the psx games (maybe the ds version of re1 also), you could skip those transitions with a button press.

The thing thats killing me about REmake is the voice acting is so bad. Its not comically bad like the original, its just dull and uninteresting. The intro cutscene also hit some mad audio desync about halfway through despite being prerendered.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Awesome, thanks! I'll give that a try.

I don't mind the door openings the first time around, it's just there's SO MUCH backtracking already, and I'm a big old impatient jerk. It's not like I haven't played this style of game before, it's just been so long there's a readjustment that has to happen (what do you mean I can only carry like 9 items including weapons!)

0 rows returned posted:

The thing thats killing me about REmake is the voice acting is so bad. Its not comically bad like the original, its just dull and uninteresting. The intro cutscene also hit some mad audio desync about halfway through despite being prerendered.
"Jill, No." :geno:

The one comical bit of voice work I've heard so far is the RESIDENT EVIL that plays at the beginning. I know, that's part of the original too, and was probably kept for that reason, but it sounds like a mod developer doing his own voices.

We'll be back later with more "Teens React to Resident Evil"

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The one comical bit of voice work I've heard so far is the RESIDENT EVIL that plays at the beginning. I know, that's part of the original too, and was probably kept for that reason, but it sounds like a mod developer doing his own voices.

I enjoy Wesker's "CHRISTHISWAY :byodood:" after he shoots the dog in the intro, it improves on the original

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Mr E posted:

I'm a bit late with this, but I bought it on the sale and it's much less RE4 and much more The Last Of Us. I think if you go into it with the expectation of RE4 style shooter/brawler combat you'll be a little disappointed.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"NO! DON'T! GO!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GyOYaDHquE

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
HOPE THIS IS NOT CHRISSES BLOOD

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
The door in RE2 that has zombies in it scared the poo poo out of me as a kid because I saw those doors as breathers.

I love games playing with lowering your guard like that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doctor Goat posted:

The door in RE2 that has zombies in it scared the poo poo out of me as a kid because I saw those doors as breathers.

I love games playing with lowering your guard like that.

I knew I remembered that happening somewhere. The whole time playing the HD Remaster I was expecting that to happen.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
My email notification sound on my phone is and probably always will be Barry Burton shouting "JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THIS!"

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Hakkesshu posted:

Both REmake and the souls game are really good at that "there's something hosed up on the side of this corner that i do not want to see or fight but I must continue ughhh" kind of dread. Dead Space 1 was also pretty good with evoking that feeling first playthrough.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Wow, REMake is old school hard. I had some idea going in, but this is pretty unforgiving. I should probably go Easy (Nature Walk or whatever) instead of Medium (Hiking) but I'm stubborn.

I'm just worried I'm going to gently caress myself over for the later game by using stuff up too early, is that a concern? Like I already started over a couple times because I realized I didn't need to waste ammo on the first zombie (playing as Jill). Now I've got some kerosene and I don't know if I should use it right away. Figuring it out as you go along is part of the fun, but not if it makes the later game even more brutally difficult.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Wow, REMake is old school hard. I had some idea going in, but this is pretty unforgiving. I should probably go Easy (Nature Walk or whatever) instead of Medium (Hiking) but I'm stubborn.

I'm just worried I'm going to gently caress myself over for the later game by using stuff up too early, is that a concern? Like I already started over a couple times because I realized I didn't need to waste ammo on the first zombie (playing as Jill). Now I've got some kerosene and I don't know if I should use it right away. Figuring it out as you go along is part of the fun, but not if it makes the later game even more brutally difficult.

If all you're playing on is medium don't worry TOO much about it. Just don't be frivolous, you will get more stuff as you go on. It is better to avoid zombies altogether when possible since leaving them dead just leaves open the possibility for crimson heads.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Awesome, thanks. I won't go overboard with hoarding stuff then. One one try I ended up using my ammo just to make inventory space, but now I've finally found a storage chest, so that's going to help a lot.

Hakkesshu posted:

crimson heads.
Oh yeah, haven't even run into these yet, that should be fun!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

One of the oldest strategies is to shoot a zombie until he falls and just run past it. Alternatively if you're good on health you can let them grab your leg which is a weak attack but results in an instant kill head stomp.

Unless you try to kill literally every monster you'll never run out of ammo.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
On normal the game is balanced so that you always JUST have enough ammo to make it by. You should still try to avoid enemies when possible to give yourself a bit of a buffer, but if you feel like you're always just on the verge of running dry don't worry about it - that's how the game is set up. It's a real contrast to RE4 where ammo might be a little tight sometimes but usually you have plenty and it takes some getting used to if 4 or later are what you're used to in the RE series.

Don't worry about being stingy with kerosene - there's actually a lot of fuel tanks around the game and each one gives you 4 uses (i.e. two full refills of the flask) before it runs out. It's much better to use kerosene whenever you can than to deal with what happens when you don't use it.

My first run was Jill on Normal playing the game blind, and this was how I found things by the end. I'd be swapping weapons a lot since I always seemed to find ammo for guns that I wasn't currently carrying, but I never ran out completely and was forced to use the knife (though there were times when I was very close). I didn't kill everything, but I did kill a lot more things than was strictly necessary. I just finished a second run, this time with Chris on hard, and you really need to avoid EVERYTHING on that difficulty. Not only do all the enemies take more hits but there are way fewer ammo pickups and a lot of the stuff that was say, shotgun ammo on normal is handgun ammo on hard. I think there were all of two extra magnum clips in the entire game. Maybe only one.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 25, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Sad Mammal posted:

HOPE THIS IS NOT CHRISSES BLOOD

You were almost a Jib-ill sandwich!

edit: Also who remembers this thing that was going around the internet back in the 90's? :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUxO_fBF6lo

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 25, 2015

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Here's a trick if you have a shotgun shell to spare and some extra defense daggers: let a zed grab you and stab him in the head. During the animation just hold down aim+up so the moment it's done you immediately aim at its head and pop. Just about always the damage of the dagger plus the shot will blow off the head. Now the dagger is on the floor and can be picked up again. Easy free kills with no damage risk.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Remake allows you to reuse the defense daggers, hey? That's pretty cool.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

If you... dislodge them, yeah. With a gun. :v:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
That was always the case though. I seem to recall some Let's Play here of the original Gamecube game where they showed off how you can shotgun headshot a zombie with a dagger in their head to get your dagger back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I just started playing the REmake on Chris Normal and I have to say, I am a bit surprised how much material I am racking up. I am being cautious and using the knife a lot with the back up and slash trick, but I currently have four full herbs + the first aid spray and 75 handgun rounds between the storage chest and my personal inventory. I imagine the difficulty cranks up hard after a bit but my survival horror instincts are going "pssssh" at this point. (Note I played only 1/4 of the game on an emulator a long time ago, I remember little of it)

Looks like I shouldn't have made all those bodies in the front of the mansion though. Guess I should go back with the kerosene.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 25, 2015