Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Artic Puma posted:

I had no idea there was a Yoshi's Island DS until it ended up on these timelines. I assume it is worse than the original, but is it at least better than Yoshi's New Island?

I just remember Yoshi's Island DS being absurdly hard. I beat the other games, but didn't get very far into DS before giving up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

Those points will carry over (the Wii Shop Channel is still available within Wii Mode), but unfortunately they're separate from your Wii U eShop balance (which is in real dollars now) so it's a pain in the rear end to actually use them.

I think you can still use eShop cards to top up the Wii Shop Channel balance as well, if you want to buy more VC games through it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Artic Puma posted:

I had no idea there was a Yoshi's Island DS until it ended up on these timelines. I assume it is worse than the original, but is it at least better than Yoshi's New Island?

Go back to not knowing it exists. It's the worst platforming game.

Period.

Edit: The US release of the game was so cheap they forgot to put in the final boss's theme so all you hear is the first 3 seconds of it looped forever.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Thank god for that. The industry practice of artificially padding out a game's length because otherwise Very Important Games Journalists would complain that it was too short has gone out of hand in recent years, especially now that the trend is setting everything in big, empty open worlds where half of your game time is spent traveling from point A to point B and back again.

I know this is a page old but what the Hell. I remember when Lost Winds came out on the Wii. I read a review for the game on IGN or something and they were complaining that the game was too short, saying 4-5 hours for $8,$10, or whatever, was a huge rip off and could be spent elsewhere, so they would have to take a few points off.

At the same time I recall them still giving 9+ scores to $60 games with 4-6 hour story modes, but then having the all important "z0mg multiplayer deathmatch xx420noscope" modes.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

I was talking about the Rodin one, yeah.

Eh. That one is also kind of funny, honestly. You COULD interpret it in the worst possible light, but even if that's the context you choose to take it in (and I emphasize that that is certainly more an interpretation than anything else) it's an instant-kill move, which means if you got hit by it, you hosed up and you die anyway. I interpret it more than you just get the poo poo kicked out of you and Rodin smokes a victory cigar.

The aftermath of that attack isn't particularly worse or better than the regular game over, where you...y'know...are dragged violently into hell to suffer all eternity.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zonekeeper posted:

Those wii games used the hardware gamecube ports, not a usb adapter. Nintendon't tricks Gamecube backups into thinking the adapter is the physical ports, and in order for it to work on Wii games you'd have to be running backups through a loader that does the same trickery.

There's always the chance that Nintendo will patch wii mode to do this, but the fact that Gamepad=Classic Controller only works in Wii VC titles probably means we'll only see GC controller adapter compatibility with future Wii VC titles.

Ah, I just kind of assumed the adapter would work for Wii games in vWii mode right off. I suppose maybe Wiiflow or one of the Wii loaders might be able to add it?

zolthorg posted:

It's literally listed right there in the Nintendont compatibility featurelist? Nintendont is a compatibility software for using GC hardware on the Wii U. Why would someone running a disc / pirating a GCN game on a Wii need any software compatibility package when there are already actual GCN ports on the front of the box that both internal consoles have access to? (And yes there is a full Gamecube inside of the Wii Casing)

The later Wii models don't have Gamecube ports and don't read Gamecube discs.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was excited about GC support on the wii u, then I realized I don't really want to play any GC games on the Wii u

Pretty much everything has a Wii/ Wii U incarnation I would rather play,

Not Chibi-Robo. I wish there was a Wii U incarnation of Chibi-Robo.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I was excited about GC support on the wii u, then I realized I don't really want to play any GC games on the Wii u

Paper Mario

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Eh. That one is also kind of funny, honestly. You COULD interpret it in the worst possible light, but even if that's the context you choose to take it in (and I emphasize that that is certainly more an interpretation than anything else) it's an instant-kill move, which means if you got hit by it, you hosed up and you die anyway. I interpret it more than you just get the poo poo kicked out of you and Rodin smokes a victory cigar.

The aftermath of that attack isn't particularly worse or better than the regular game over, where you...y'know...are dragged violently into hell to suffer all eternity.

I do get what you're saying but in the context of arguing about how the character is supposed to be read, making a rape joke, especially a 'you screwed up' one is pretty damning. I don't think you have to read it that way but I also don't think someone who reads it that way is wrong for doing so because it's pretty bad looking.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That's true I never played the GC one, and the Wii one was bad

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want Super Mario Sunshine on the Wii U eshop.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

F-Zero GX

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Nintendo tweeted a grey Zelda sweatshirt/hoodie thing on the twitter and I want it really badly but they didn't say how you can purchase it.

does anyone know how you can purchase it

EDIT:

ImpAtom posted:

I do get what you're saying but in the context of arguing about how the character is supposed to be read, making a rape joke, especially a 'you screwed up' one is pretty damning. I don't think you have to read it that way but I also don't think someone who reads it that way is wrong for doing so because it's pretty bad looking.

In what way, exactly? I mean, if you're making the argument that "X jokes are wrong and should never be done" then I can only shrug my shoulders and disagree, but if you have some other reason for why this is a "bad thing" in some manner worse than...what, eternal damnation and the like, I'd be curious to hear it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nintendo tweeted a grey Zelda sweatshirt/hoodie thing on the twitter and I want it really badly but they didn't say how you can purchase it.

does anyone know how you can purchase it

EDIT:

In what way, exactly? I mean, if you're making the argument that "X jokes are wrong and should never be done" then I can only shrug my shoulders and disagree, but if you have some other reason for why this is a "bad thing" in some manner worse than...what, eternal damnation and the like, I'd be curious to hear it.

Get this one and have an art student make you a string in exchange for a hamburger http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Zelda-Triforce-black-logo-Hoodie-xbox-game-fan-pullover-hooded-sweatshirt-S-XL/45570345

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trying to make an argument that Bayonetta is an empowering character because she is powerful, strong and confident in her sexuality is weakened by a 'but if she screws up she gets raped' element. It changes the tone quite a bit.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Oh no.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Trying to make an argument that Bayonetta is an empowering character because she is powerful, strong and confident in her sexuality is weakened by a 'but if she screws up she gets raped' element. It changes the tone quite a bit.

Hm, I suppose, but only if you're terribly interested in Bayonetta's role as an "empowering" character, however you want to define that. Bayonetta is a sadistic lunatic who literally exists to kill things, takes pleasure in torturing the things she kills, and when she isn't doing that she's apparently a Mafia hitwoman and a shopping addict. Canonically, Bayonetta never loses, so again, the consequence of her loss--as interpreted by you as to what it is--doesn't really matter in regards to her "character". I mean, Dante is a cocksure hellion who loves a good fight, so when he got cut to pieces because I was running away from a bunch of puppets with scissors when I was 12-years-old, that's not really canon, that's me loving up.

To put it another way, Bayonetta is Bayonetta. She is not, and the game is not, really intended to have anything to do with empowerment or a lack thereof. That's not really what the game is for. If you want to make that argument, I fail to see how losing a fight has any impact on her character. Nobody thought Leon's character in Resident Evil 4 was in any way diminished if you hosed up a QTE and got him impaled on spikes or stuck with a knife. I don't think any of the girls or boys who think Bayonetta is super cool and awesome (ignoring her sociopathic nature) are going to change their minds if an optional boss fight implies a questionable form of failure. At some point, it boils down to personal taste. You personally think it's tasteless, and that--for whatever reason--affects your interpretation of Bayonetta's character. You're welcome to think that, but I don't feel the same. Any death animation in a game is there to punish YOU, the player, for failure.

As I said, I think it's really kind of funny, but I also don't quite interpret the scene in the same way as you or others who have taken umbrage at it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Is there an example of this? I never did the Rodin fights in Bayo 1 or 2.

Mario Kart 8 DLC + C Falcon amiibo costume

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bayonetta is about empowerment and being in control of one's sexual agency, except when she isn't, whichever is necessary to counter someone saying a bad thing about the games.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Artic Puma posted:

I never found YIDS that offensive - there were a number of weak songs, a lot of the level design was pointless or repetitive, and it's just generally really forgettable, but it at least had a solid idea that it tried to use, and that's more than can really be said for YNI or many other mediocre-bad platforming games. Granted, I was never really a fan of Yoshi's Island to begin with, so that may be why I don't find YIDS to be some sort of besmirching of the Yoshi name.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

It's this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvTqtQM-aA4 (Obviously Bayonetta 2 spoiles).

Note that if you play this with regular Bayonetta's costume, the costume is missing a la the Wicked Weave attacks, hence the issue. Honestly, seeing the attack in action makes it seem even less offensive, but that was it. Basically, he literally punches the pants off you, and people saw this and interpreted it as rape because that's sort of what the Internet does.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Bayonetta is about empowerment and being in control of one's sexual agency, except when she isn't, whichever is necessary to counter someone saying a bad thing about the games.

Bayonetta is about getting perfect scores on all the levels and laughing at Enzo and probably fighting God or the Devil or a giant dragon by summoning spiders made out of hair and also weaponized ice skates.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

:nws:
Bayo 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6e1H8M8cgg
Bayo 2: http://gfycat.com/SoreGiantBubblefish
:nws:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Any death animation in a game is there to punish YOU, the player, for failure.

This is exactly why that scene isn't a good thing to include in a game people are playing for fun.

"I screwed up and my protagonist is dragged down to hell" is not something that is likely to be genuinely uncomfortable to someone playing the game and sours their good time. They are going to hit restart and continue on because the goofy supernatural concept of eternal damnation doesn't mean much to people who are already playing a game about a supernatural witch killing angels. They are playing the game to control a character they find cool, powerful and strong and who they enjoy playing as. The character may be a dick, or sadistic, or whatever you like to say, but the power-fantasy elements are there for people to have fun and very few people are particularly bothered by a game over screen unless it is particularly overwhelming. (A good non-Bayonetta example of this are the infamous 'torture death' scenes from old arcade games. People are more uncomfortable with, say, Ryu Hayabusa about to be cut open by a buzzsaw than they would be by just a death scene. )

However the same can't be said in this case. "You, the player, screwed up and it is your fault a character got raped is exactly something that can really upset someone. It might be in a fictional setting but that is an actual real-life thing people have to deal with and having it suddenly pop up in what is otherwise a 'fun' game is exactly the sort of thing that can really upset someone. People are naturally geared to response to trauma, torture and other things as being significantly worse than abstract fictionalized death, especially if it hits home for them.

(I'm not going to bother spoiling it anymore, it's pretty obvious in context.)

http://a.pomf.se/swyula.webm

It's pretty obviously supposed to be a joke on Akuma's move from Street Fighter but it just looks bad.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I don't know why this is a discussion, since I don't understand how you see that and go "the character is being raped!!!!"

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

That's true I never played the GC one, and the Wii one was bad

Please play Thousand-Year Door

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I think more than anything it's just an unfortunate sum of different parts. Bayo's dead and without her consciousness her hair clothes fall off and Rodin's just picking at his nails all bored like because he's showing off. Together they can be seen as some rather distressing implications but considering how they got the tone of the game so 100% right everywhere else I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Suspicious Cook posted:

I think more than anything it's just an unfortunate sum of different parts. Bayo's dead and without her consciousness her hair clothes fall off and Rodin's just picking at his nails all bored like because he's showing off. Together they can be seen as some rather distressing implications but considering how they got the tone of the game so 100% right everywhere else I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, that is my general feeling on it. I think it was just a bad design decision and not actually trying to imply that. I don't think it suddenly invalidates someone else's argument if they don't agree but I really doubt it was actually intended to come across that way.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Bayonetta sucks anyway, so why are we discussing this

Anyway, was this posted here? Rainbow Curse is made by a bunch of Japanese hands. The animations made be stop motions mixed with some 3D, but I dunno, I can't read Japanese.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_news/150121/kirby_making/index.html

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

This is exactly why that scene isn't a good thing to include in a game people are playing for fun.

So a game shouldn't include anything that would make people uncomfortable? All you are saying here is that you, personally, are made to feel uncomfortable by the concept that people are raped and so ergo, the implication--even if it is, as we seem to both agree, YOUR interpretation of the materials given--of rape in any context is bad and Not Fun and has no place in this game, even if I and other people A) don't agree with that interpretation and B) don't find it somehow damaging to Bayonetta's "character", whatever the gently caress that means.

Ryu Hayabusa about to get sliced in half with a buzz saw is freaking sweet because it's hosed up and makes you even more determined to save him from such a fate. If you are really so bothered by the suggestion in Rodin's super special attack, the real solution is to get good at the game so you'll never get hit by it.

Austrian mook posted:

I don't know why this is a discussion, since I don't understand how you see that and go "the character is being raped!!!!"

Precisely. It's an overzealous interpretation of the given material.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So a game shouldn't include anything that would make people uncomfortable?

A game shouldn't do something that makes people uncomfortable if it is out of tone with the game, yes.

Edit: Actually, I misread it, excuse me. What I had here was completely me misreading and kind of a dick. Sorry.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 25, 2015

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

Well, one character is lying on the ground naked clutching her behind (implying pain in that region), while the other character who just attacked her is reclining comfortably with a cigar (a common visual shorthand for post-coitus), so I don't think it's too outlandish to see an implication there.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Mario Kart 8 DLC + C Falcon amiibo costume

this is nowhere near the same thing

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

noirstronaut posted:

Bayonetta sucks anyway, so why are we discussing this

Wrong.

Suspicious Cook posted:

I saw it more as "Her hand is covering her rear end (which may just be for 'not showing it' purposes) and he's flicking away the stereotypical post-coital smoke."

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Isn't it pretty out of character? Rodin seems like he's friends with Bayonetta, at least generally.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

He's also literally a demon fallen angel.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

Isn't it pretty out of character? Rodin seems like he's friends with Bayonetta, at least generally.

Well, he will kill her in that fight, so that's sort of ambiguous. Rodin's friends with Bayonetta until it becomes more profitable not to be.

ImpAtom posted:

Like, yes. Rape is bad and not fun. Including rape as fun is bad. I will come firmly out on this point.

I can agree with this, but that circles back into the issue of whether a joke about rape is allowed, which is honestly not even a discussion worth having in the Wii U thread, so we may as well just table this discussion here.

VVVV--Enzo's kids are cute little fuckers, I tell ya.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 25, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
One of you should make a Bayonetta thread since this thread is reserved for cute and rape isn't cute. Rape jokes aren't cute either. Hell, none of Bayonetta is cute.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

noirstronaut posted:

Hell, none of Bayonetta is cute.

Counterpoint:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
And don't forget Loki's squirrel form:

Adorable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

One of you should make a Bayonetta thread since this thread is reserved for cute and rape isn't cute. Rape jokes aren't cute either. Hell, none of Bayonetta is cute.

Wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

noirstronaut posted:

• Locked thread