Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinlaeshel
Apr 5, 2009

"I cannot speak English
because I am Japanese
"

Fungah! posted:

My copy literally hasn't cleared customs yet. Death to Europe.

Guess I got lucky then. I'm in Canada and ordered it from a Canadian site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Sinlaeshel posted:

Guess I got lucky then. I'm in Canada and ordered it from a Canadian site.

What site? Might order it myself if they have any more.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Meanwhile in the US still waiting for the "stuck in customs for a month" Kickstarter shipment of this

:smith::respek::smith:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What do you guys think about Wallenstein? Looks like it's KS is ending soon.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Sadsack posted:

Me and the wife have been playing through D&D Castle Ravenloft. While its a good introduction to D&D's basic mechanics, it's...not good. The instructions have huge holes in them and the encounters mechanic seems deliberately broken. What's a good dungeon crawler to move on to? Descent seems to be the most high profile if nothing else.

So I just played Shadows of Brimstone for the first time tonight and had a blast. I actually own Castle Ravenloft and I don't know why I'd ever play it again when given the choice since SoB was better in every possible way. I really can't wait to play it again.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

King Burgundy posted:

So I just played Shadows of Brimstone for the first time tonight and had a blast. I actually own Castle Ravenloft and I don't know why I'd ever play it again when given the choice since SoB was better in every possible way. I really can't wait to play it again.

I'm going to have to ask for some more detail here on what makes this supposedly better than anything, because I look at the BGG page for Shadows of Brimstone and about a million red flags immediately pop up. Flying Frog Productions, same designer as all their other godawful games, contents include sixteen six-sided dice.

And of course, it's a Flying Frog game so:
:barf:

e: Oh my poo poo, the rabbit hole goes deeper. When enemies attack you, they roll some number of dice to hit, and then you roll a die to attempt to defend for each enemy die that hits. The rulebook makes sure to mention that enemies don't get to roll defense when you attack them as this would be "cumbersome". Instead for every hit a hero rolls, he must then roll a d6 to determine the damage and subtract the enemy defense value from each roll. :psyduck: Because that sure as gently caress isn't cumbersome, right? Everyone at Flying Frog Productions literally grew up in a monastery and took strict vows to never play any board games that weren't designed in the 80s because they might learn heretical ideas like good game design.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 25, 2015

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Scyther posted:

I'm going to have to ask for some more detail here on what makes this supposedly better than anything, because I look at the BGG page for Shadows of Brimstone and about a million red flags immediately pop up. Flying Frog Productions, same designer as all their other godawful games, contents include sixteen six-sided dice.

And of course, it's a Flying Frog game so:
:barf:

I never said it was better than anything?? It is way better than Castle Ravenloft, and I imagine any of the other D&D dungeon crawl games since they are all pretty similar.

If you really have that big a problem with the movement role, they have this in the optional rules:

quote:

As an option for players that do not like the idea of rolling
for movement each turn, they may use the
Fixed Hero Movement
Optional Rule. With this rule, all Heroes are allowed to move
4 spaces each turn (plus any bonuses or negatives for Items,
Abilities, or Injuries/Mutations they may have).

It really didn't feel like it was the type of thing that mattered that much in the game we played though. The distances traveled don't seem all that big and there were many effects/items messing with movement.

The things I liked about it were the campaign continuity(basically being able to keep playing with the same characters, leveling up, etc like an actual pen and paper game), the variety of options when going back to town after the adventure, things to buy/do/etc, the variety of actually interesting items and such, etc.

Bottom line, it is leaps and bounds better than Castle Ravenloft at all of those things. I didn't think this would be in any way controversial. :)

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

King Burgundy posted:

I never said it was better than anything??

I should have been clearer, I didn't mean to imply that you said "This is better than literally anything else", I was questioning your assertion that there exists a game (specifically Ravenloft) that this compares favorably to.

King Burgundy posted:

The things I liked about it were the campaign continuity(basically being able to keep playing with the same characters, leveling up, etc like an actual pen and paper game), the variety of options when going back to town after the adventure, things to buy/do/etc, the variety of actually interesting items and such, etc.

So instead of being "being better in every possible way" like you initially said, it's better at one thing. Even that is questionable, as Wrath of Ashardalon introduced campaign rules.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 25, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
At least that means Xia isn't alone in the category of "roll-to-move games released in 2014".

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

So what's the consensus of Cosmic Encounter?
It's a good game that's mostly been superseded by more refined games.

Fungah! posted:

It's so stupid because CE's like the single worst game possible for social interaction and politics. Outside of "Well Quinns hosed me last game so I'm going to make sure he loses" the only basis you've got for political interaction is "well which side of the randomly generated encounter is closer to winning the game?" and then go with the other. You can't even do a Catan-style well I'll give you six wood for a sheep just to gently caress the other guy, it's pretty much just try to be part of the n-1 bloc that's going to win the game instead of the one guy that's going to lose.
That's a bit simplistic. There's all kinds of reasons you'd pick one side or the other, like hand management, your read of which player has the strongest cards, their willingness to actually play those cards in this particular battle, etc. Also, you make it sound like you have a lot of n-1 victories, which is a beginner-level CE phenomenon on par with playing Dominion by buying Silver<Gold<Province. CE hasn't had a claim to GOAT status in at least 15 years, but it is more interesting than your description implies.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

King Burgundy posted:

Bottom line, it is leaps and bounds better than Castle Ravenloft at all of those things. I didn't think this would be in any way controversial. :)

As Scyther said, campaign rules are officially added to those D&D boardgames at WoA and they have been adapted by fans to Ravenloft in an exquisite way. There is even a high quality free app that adds events to named rooms. So Ravenloft already has all that you mention above. (available at its BGG page)

I had Ravenloft with all that and I still sold it since it's gameplay and AI mechanics wasn't really satisfying us anymore.

I'm always curious about tabletop game attepts at persistence and how they compare to other similar titles. So I would like to hear more about SoB. That static movement variant sounds okay but Warhammer 40K style combat sounds scary.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 25, 2015

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

echoMateria posted:

So I would like to hear more about SoB.

You eat d6s and crap random event cards.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

PerniciousKnid posted:

Also, you make it sound like you have a lot of n-1 victories, which is a beginner-level CE phenomenon on par with playing Dominion by buying Silver<Gold<Province.

In Dominion, if a single player realizes that they can do better than buying basic treasures and provinces, they will do so and win.

In Cosmic Encounter, if a single player realizes that they can do better than ending up in an n-1 victory, they'll be the one left over while everyone else shares an n-1 victory.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

How is imperial assault compared to descent? Not exactly DND but I've heard they improved a few things.

Stelas posted:

I've been playing Imperial Assault against a friend and it feels a lot more balanced than Descent 2e ever did, and that's coming from several campaign's worth of experience. The Overlord has more ways to customize himself and has some legitimately strong powers that don't rely on luck to draw, while the heroes are guaranteed an acceptable amount of gold and xp to keep boosting themselves up. The missions seem like they're balancing out better - both sides are neck-and-neck in how many missions they've won - and the reinforcement rules and events mid-mission are much more flexible. The fact you can 'partially succeed' at quests means it's not so black and white. Basically, I'm impressed.

Bear in mind I love 2e pretty hard despite its flaws, but I think it's a lot better. I also never got to finish the IA campaign but got pretty drat far.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Scyther posted:

e: Oh my poo poo, the rabbit hole goes deeper. When enemies attack you, they roll some number of dice to hit, and then you roll a die to attempt to defend for each enemy die that hits. The rulebook makes sure to mention that enemies don't get to roll defense when you attack them as this would be "cumbersome". Instead for every hit a hero rolls, he must then roll a d6 to determine the damage and subtract the enemy defense value from each roll. :psyduck: Because that sure as gently caress isn't cumbersome, right? Everyone at Flying Frog Productions literally grew up in a monastery and took strict vows to never play any board games that weren't designed in the 80s because they might learn heretical ideas like good game design.

This bit sounds better than Descent 2e, frankly. Not that it's particularly good design, but I'd sure as gently caress rather subtract a fixed defense value than subtract a randomly rolled one like Descent 2e makes you do. Not because it's "less cumbersome", but because it's less randomness involved in combat outcomes. As the Overlord I routinely completely whiffed defenses in a way that made combat pretty onesided.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

malkav11 posted:

This bit sounds better than Descent 2e, frankly. Not that it's particularly good design, but I'd sure as gently caress rather subtract a fixed defense value than subtract a randomly rolled one like Descent 2e makes you do. Not because it's "less cumbersome", but because it's less randomness involved in combat outcomes. As the Overlord I routinely completely whiffed defenses in a way that made combat pretty onesided.
If I'm reading this right, you subtract from each die individually.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Today's trip report:

Opened with my first game of 7 Wonders, because my board game history has weird holes in it. Built a poo poo-ton of resources and trade in eras 1 and 2, then a poo poo-ton of point buildings in era 3, with a last-minute military build to snag 10 points. Only built the first level of my wonder because everything else was so many more points (also was Babylon but my science was being largely culled). Came in second to an under-resourced guy who had a giant chain of free VP builds from the tech tree.

Continued with Euphoria, which I've talked about before. One day I will manage to win a game of it. Had an Icarite with a hidden Icarite get a three-star turn because his star in Icarite territory also filled the allegiance track. We buried him under endless market penalties but he clawed his way back out to win it, though with the rest of us much closer to him.

Had my first game of Notre Dame, an interesting little drafting game where you start with a handful of workers and have nine options in your deck to place or move workers:

- get a coin from the bank, +1 per worker already there
- get a VP from the town center, +1 per worker already there
- get a worker from the guild, +1 per worker already there
- kill a rat at the park; every 2 workers there gives you 1 VP more every time you get VP
- kill a rat at the hospital; every worker there reduces incoming rats by 1
- move your wagon around the city and pick up messages worth points and often a coin/worker/dead rat, +1 space per worker already there
- hire someone at the inn to get a coin/worker/dead rat. 3 workers at the inn lets you hire 2 people.
- move your trusted lieutenant to an area of the city and activate him; he counts as a worker
- send a priest to pray at Notre Dame, tithing 1/2/3 coins for 1/3/6 points and claiming a share of the end-of-year 8/10/12 VP if you play with 3/4/5 people. The personal districts of each player are irregular polygons and each will tile against a different side of the central Notre Dame shape. I thought that was a really neat touch.

Every season you pull three cards from your deck and draft them, hire a visiting professional to do something for 1 coin (6 fixed options, 3/3/3 progressing options for year A/B/C, also dealt out 3 at a time), and then add the number of rats to your city displayed at the bottom of the professionals' cards. This can vary, usually 4-5 with occasional 2-8 outliers. If your city would hit more than 9 rats, you are plagued and lose 2 VP and a worker from your busiest district -- and your rat counter stays at 9.

I did a strategy heavy on moving the wagon around and came in second to a guy whose strategy was basically to get money and tithe to Notre Dame. Pretty neat game that I might play again.

But I find I don't consider the next person's point of view nearly often enough in drafting games.

Waited for a few people to close out a long game of Kingsburg with a game of Let's Take a Hike, a card game with a cute visual style about gearing up for hikes, being prepared or losing supplies if you're not, and random run-ins with the wildlife.

Ended the night with a 5-player game of Caverna and didn't quite crack 100 points, only managing 99. I think if I'd switched things up a little more I might have had a few turns of an extra dwarf and that would have made the difference. I was 6 points off first place so that's not too bad at all.

Sinlaeshel
Apr 5, 2009

"I cannot speak English
because I am Japanese
"

berenzen posted:

What site? Might order it myself if they have any more.

I got it off boardgamebliss.com , but it appears they have already sold out. :(

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yeah, none of that seemed at all unusual to me since it seemed to be replicating P&P style rules(or at least the type of games I played P&P when I was younger). It honestly felt like we were playing a straight up, for real, P&P game weighted towards combat/exploration/loot rather than actual role play and it was all happening without a DM. Ravenloft NEVER felt like that to me. It felt like a poor attempt at simulating that for people who would never play in a campaign.

echoMateria posted:

As Scyther said, campaign rules are officially added to those D&D boardgames at WoA and they have been adapted by fans to Ravenloft in an exquisite way. There is even a high quality free app that adds events to named rooms. So Ravenloft already has all that you mention above. (available at its BGG page)

I had Ravenloft with all that and I still sold it since it's gameplay and AI mechanics wasn't really satisfying us anymore.

I'm always curious about tabletop game attepts at persistence and how they compare to other similar titles. So I would like to hear more about SoB. That static movement variant sounds okay but Warhammer 40K style combat sounds scary.

I just glanced over the WoA rules to see what their version of campaign play was and I'm still not seeing a favorable comparison to SoB. It seems like an admirable attempt to make something better of the Ravenloft style game rules, and if I ever revisit Ravenloft at this point, I'd certainly want to give that a try, but it still doesn't look anywhere near as nice to me. There is just a load more customization to each character in SoB, not only are there some fairly important choices to make at character start, but there are skill trees with real choices, etc.

It played really really well for this type of game and I'm pretty stoked about it still. I really can't imagine someone playing both Ravenloft and playing SoB and not finding SoB much better. If you are coming at this from not liking that style of game at all though, there is nothing here that is going to sell you.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Stelas posted:

Bear in mind I love 2e pretty hard despite its flaws, but I think it's a lot better. I also never got to finish the IA campaign but got pretty drat far.

I've finished one campaign as Rebels with 2 players and are currently in the middle of a second one with 4 players and me as the Imps.

I'll agree with all your points except that the only legit baffling decision on the part of imperials is picking the deck that i think is called Subversive Tactics? (the one that has the imperial officers on the back) is all about piling on strain into the heros, which is what they use to use their abilities,meaning you're just giving them free fuel for what is going to be kicking your rear end the majority of the time! The best ability in that deck is a 3XP card that lets you turn all damage into strain, but why would you do that when you could just do the damage and be one step closer to actually winning?

A shame you've never finished the campaign some of those final missions are pretty sweet.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Scyther posted:

I should have been clearer, I didn't mean to imply that you said "This is better than literally anything else", I was questioning your assertion that there exists a game (specifically Ravenloft) that this compares favorably to.

So instead of being "being better in every possible way" like you initially said, it's better at one thing. Even that is questionable, as Wrath of Ashardalon introduced campaign rules.

Wow, you sure are mr negative. No, I was listing examples of why I found it better. You are right though, there is one thing that I would give Ravenloft the nod on. I think it is an easier introduction/easier to play/less moving parts than SoB. SoB has a LOT of poo poo going on. Tons of decks/tokens/etc. Ravenloft will definitely be easier for a new gamer. Other than that, I preferred EVERYTHING in SoB. ;) I liked the setting more too, but that is a taste thing.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Bubble-T posted:

At least that means Xia isn't alone in the category of "roll-to-move games released in 2014".

Oddly enough, one of the more odd and interesting games I got in 2014 has roll-and-move as a core mechanic, and it kinda works. I'm starting to think that there's honestly no such thing as an irredeemably bad mechanic. Implementation is everything.

Xia and SoB are still hot garbage, though.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 25, 2015

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'll agree with all your points except that the only legit baffling decision on the part of imperials is picking the deck that i think is called Subversive Tactics? (the one that has the imperial officers on the back) is all about piling on strain into the heros, which is what they use to use their abilities,meaning you're just giving them free fuel for what is going to be kicking your rear end the majority of the time! The best ability in that deck is a 3XP card that lets you turn all damage into strain, but why would you do that when you could just do the damage and be one step closer to actually winning?

A shame you've never finished the campaign some of those final missions are pretty sweet.

I've only played the skirmish mode once, so I looked up the rules.

The Strain hero powers all add strain to the character, so putting it onto them yourself limits their ability to use those powers; a character can't voluntarily take Strain if it would put them over their Endurance.

That damage-into-strain power seems pretty mediocre though, since a single action lets a hero remove all their strain.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Played Mythotopia today, finally. Game owns bones. Martin Wallace has finally got the hang of deck building.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
Okay. It looks like Descent 2e is the winner. Mage knight looks cool but it seems a bit more complex than we're ready for. I had a look at SoB but the old west setting really doesn't do it for me. I would love to get Imperial Assault, but my house can only hold so much Star Wars crap.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The best ability in that deck is a 3XP card that lets you turn all damage into strain, but why would you do that when you could just do the damage and be one step closer to actually winning?

Yeah, this is due to FFG's token fetish. Think of strain as 'negative endurance' - you're not giving them fuel, you're burning off their ability to use their special moves, slowing them down and forcing them to rest a lot.

From what I've seen the overwhelming power deck is a lot better, though. It's hard to beat more dice and troops in general.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
2 player Agricola or Caverna for relatively new boardgamers? How is Caverna for 2 compared to 4 vs Agricola?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
For new players, Caverna. It's a lot less punishing than Agricola, and more likely to make them into old players.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Sadsack posted:

I would love to get Imperial Assault, but my house can only hold so much Star Wars crap.

Okay. I can read this post but its just gibberish to me.

My only issues are convincing friends to play all these dumb star wars games

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

For me Star Wars is just these three movies I liked as a kid because they had lazers and lazer swords and space wizards, is it worth it to pay the Star Wars IP premium in order to get a good dungeon crawler, or should I just wait for Descent 3e instead?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Stelas posted:

Yeah, this is due to FFG's token fetish. Think of strain as 'negative endurance' - you're not giving them fuel, you're burning off their ability to use their special moves, slowing them down and forcing them to rest a lot.

From what I've seen the overwhelming power deck is a lot better, though. It's hard to beat more dice and troops in general.

oh so you're saying we've been playing it backwards this whole time?! That definitely makes that deck a lot more powerful and it makes hero abilities a bit less of a no brainer to actually use (Diala and Gharkhan especially since it seemed like they were entirely self sufficient strain-wise.Strain twice to get movement points to move in, then use ability to remove that same 2 strain to Precise Strike for instance)

Overwhelming is still better yeah, 5 HP stormtroopers that can heal off damage you've done is incredibly annoying no matter what. Strangely the game was still relatively balanced map to map despite how hosed up the way we were playing was, truly ImpAss is the most balanced game ever released :psyduck:

Edit:It also makes the Supply Deficit Influence card actually DO something since it orignally lead to lots of "well..in theory if i DON"T use abilities every turn this could eventually stack up to a bunch of extra damage, now excuse me while Diala Precise Strikes that Trandoshan again. Don't complain, it's balanced because you can only strain twice an activation!"

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 25, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

oh so you're saying we've been playing it backwards this whole time?!

Yup. It's like the Arkham Horror bit where health tokens actually represent health damage, and you die when you have enough damage to equal your health. It's kind of backwards to actually remember that way around. Just take a number of endurance counters for each hero when each mission starts and take them away when you use them, put them back when you rest. Draining your heroes of stamina is actually very effective, but again it's a tossup compared to Just Wounding Them.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

If I'm reading this right, you subtract from each die individually.

Yes that's the conclusion I drew after reading the (not very well laid out) rulebook. The mechanics are so 1980s it is physically painful to even read about them.

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, none of that seemed at all unusual to me since it seemed to be replicating P&P style rules(or at least the type of games I played P&P when I was younger). It honestly felt like we were playing a straight up, for real, P&P game weighted towards combat/exploration/loot rather than actual role play and it was all happening without a DM. Ravenloft NEVER felt like that to me. It felt like a poor attempt at simulating that for people who would never play in a campaign.

I get the impression that you love the idea of a watered down poor man's DMless D&D but most people posting in this thread are more likely to be looking for a board game with actual good mechanics, and in that department any of the other games (descent, Ravenloft et al, ImpAss, etc) mentioned in this thread would be a better recommendation than a Flying Frog dicechucker experience generator.

Sadsack posted:

Okay. It looks like Descent 2e is the winner. Mage knight looks cool but it seems a bit more complex than we're ready for. I had a look at SoB but the old west setting really doesn't do it for me. I would love to get Imperial Assault, but my house can only hold so much Star Wars crap.

Just be prepared if you play the campaign mode that one side will start winning and never ever stop. Also be aware that the overlord doesn't win by actually fighting the heroes, but instead by blocking the path to the objective with big monsters and running down the clock. ImpAss honestly seems like a straight up better game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thespaceinvader posted:

For new players, Caverna. It's a lot less punishing than Agricola, and more likely to make them into old players.

Really, it only feels like that. A newbie is going to lose at Caverna 100% of the time just like they will at Agricola.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rutibex posted:

Really, it only feels like that. A newbie is going to lose at Caverna 100% of the time just like they will at Agricola.

Yes, but they won't be utterly and humiliatingly wrecked by the game itself.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jedit posted:

Yes, but they won't be utterly and humiliatingly wrecked by the game itself.

Right, punishing doesn't mean "won't win", punishing means "will feel like got nothing done".

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The End posted:

Played Mythotopia today, finally. Game owns bones. Martin Wallace has finally got the hang of deck building.

Could you go into this if you have the time? Good deckbuilders are few and far between, so I'm always interested when I hear about one.

Did a game of Twilight Imperium last night. Eight players, five newbies, with the other three of us having played 10-15 times before but not within the last two years. Used a balanced map with four rings to prevent people getting screwed in the draft (and to save time). It only lasted eight hours, mainly because it ended at Round 6 with the Game Over card, so we all got lucky as hell there.

I was the nomadish guys who have moving Space Docks and don't need home systems to fulfill objectives. My right neighbor (Sol guys) made it pretty obvious he wanted my home planets for his Secret Objective, so rather than fight for them I just left to head for Mecatol Rex to do my secret objective, though I did cancel his trade agreemenets to prevent giving him too big an advantage. After a couple of turns, including one where I got crazy lucky and no one attacked my weak forces in Mecatol, I get off three techs in Round 3 from an action card copying the tech race's ability to do both the secondary and primary of the Tech II card and fulfill my Secret Objective (Control Mecatol with Space Dock and two each of three different colored techs), as did another friend (think his race was the L1z1x, not sure). Then for the next three rounds, I got Diplomacy II or whatever the strategy card is that prevents people from attacking the space (and the third time I was right of the Speaker, so everyone else literally handed it to me) and smacked that thing on Mecatol as I sniped a few planets here and there as the Sol guy sniped the old planets in my area and the L1z1x guy built up his War Suns (but we had a gentlemen's agreement not to attack each other, which benefited both of us but me a lot more).

Round 6 comes along, and L1z1x takes Bureaucracy and draws the Game Over card. After he claims an objective, we're both at six points with Sol guy at five. I needed the "Spend 10 influence objective" to hit 7 and win, since we both had equal objectives and L1z1x would win "most planets" tiebreaker (I had the sole marker on "I control Mecatol"). If I lost either of two planets next to Mecatol, I was toast, which was the L1z1x guy's plan. So as a desperate gambit, I declared I was going to kingmake the Sol guys in a hope to get the two against each other and have them ignore me (and hey, the Sol guy was upfront the entire game about wrecking my poo poo and was a newbie, so I'm still an rear end in a top hat), since Sol would've gotten 6 and was close enough in planets to win tiebreaker. The amazing thing is that this worked, as the L1z1x guy got nervous and decided to take planets instead of take my first planet with his War Suns (though the five Dreadnoughts I had there was a helpful deterrent, and I had the "Repair damaged ships" card so I probably would've won that one), and then the other two players attacked each other to gain each others' planets, arranging it so that neither could reach my other planet, leaving me with the influence needed to get my seventh and win the game. Sneaky, underhanded and pretty drat scummy thing to do, but hey, it got me the win.

That said, with that game I realized the big flaws with the game I hadn't noticed before (besides player elimination and the insane play time). Too many Secret Objectives rely on Mecatol Rex, so if you can lock it down like I did, you can screw over a lot of people. The person with Mecatol wants whichever card is available that prevents other people from attacking Mecatol, something that most players usually have no use for late-game compared to all the cool-sounding stuff (which is why I got it despite being last "pick" in Round 6). And most of the Objectives we got were so simple that everyone fulfilled most of them, pretty much requiring you to fulfill your Secret Objective to have a chance (the top three players that game and the only three in serious contention to win were the three that fulfilled Secret Objectives), and with Secret Objectives being pretty arbitrary to begin with depending on race and your neighbors, you can get screwed out of them easily (my left neighbor needed to destroy a neighbor's last space dock among other criteria, which wasn't helped by me moving it to Mecatol early on and her other neighbor having the wormhole race) without much you can really do about them. So it comes down significantly to luck, which is pretty painful in a game this large and this long. Much comes down to which action cards you have (one player got screwed partly because of the action cards the L1z1x guy and I played against her when she fought us), as they can turn the tides significantly, but there are enough useless ones to screw someone over in battle.

It was quite the experience, and I think the newbies liked it well enough, but it's definitely Ameritrashy as all hell and it'll probably be a long time before I'd want to play it again.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I'll write a bit about Mythotopia in the morning :)

The issues with objectives being M. Rex centric are addressed in the first expansion - give it a whirl!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In Cosmic Encounter, if a single player realizes that they can do better than ending up in an n-1 victory, they'll be the one left over while everyone else shares an n-1 victory.
That's only true if everyone else is aggressively working toward an n-1 victory, and spiting you in particular for breaking some implied truce. But it's true of any game that if everyone mutually agrees to avoid winning, either nobody will win or somebody will randomly be pushed into a win depending on the rules. If people get mad at you for trying to win, don't play with those weirdos. If they don't: you'll win handily by not inviting offensive allies to every attack while still accepting when invited, until eventually they catch on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I'll be learning, and then teaching, Chaos in the Old World later today. Anything I should be aware of like commonly missed rules, misconceptions, or other stuff?