Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slimnoid posted:

Imperial Knights got one on their giant chainsword, so no.

Shokk Attack guns can vortex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ijyt posted:

The only thing stopping me getting Necrons is that I'm already painting a metallic army, and can't be hosed doing NMM (even though chrome toasters would be totally rad).
Paint them porcelain; that's the best look for Necrons IMO.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

adamantium|wang posted:

Apparently this is the C'tan table:

e: Decurion stuff:

I still don't get how this works. I pick one of the two top boxes, then I pick up to 10 things from the middle ones and then I can get alternating box choices from the ones below? Do I just get 10 things from any of the lower boxes? Can I take both upper boxes? Why is this better than just picking the units I want and using the force org chart.

Seriously, if someone could please explain this to me I would appreciate it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cataphract posted:

Shokk Attack guns can vortex

It's gonna happen someday. This thing is gonna pay out any minute now, I can feel it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

I still don't get how this works. I pick one of the two top boxes, then I pick up to 10 things from the middle ones and then I can get alternating box choices from the ones below? Do I just get 10 things from any of the lower boxes? Can I take both upper boxes? Why is this better than just picking the units I want and using the force org chart.

Seriously, if someone could please explain this to me I would appreciate it.

Take 1 or more of the top left boxes (core).

For each one you take, take up to one of the top right boxes (command), and 1-10 of the lower boxes (auxillary). At least one of those choices must be one of the top three auxillaries.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zark the Damned posted:

Take 1 or more of the top left boxes (core).

For each one you take, take up to one of the top right boxes (command), and 1-10 of the lower boxes (auxillary). At least one of those choices must be one of the top three auxillaries.

Ah, ok. Now it makes sense. Thanks.

This seems like something you would only really get to use in huge games, though?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
It is kinda uselessly large, yes. The "core" choice isn't actually all that restrictive/expensive, though.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

It's gonna happen someday. This thing is gonna pay out any minute now, I can feel it.

I've had it happen twice. One time it scattered and only killed a couple marines and then made its way off the table. The other time it turned Pask into paste.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ah, ok. Now it makes sense. Thanks.

This seems like something you would only really get to use in huge games, though?

When you look at the minimum requirements it shouldn't be that points heavy, An overlord, bikes, and 3 troop units.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

LordAba posted:

When you look at the minimum requirements it shouldn't be that points heavy, An overlord, bikes, and 3 troop units.

Plus Immortals, if I'm reading this right. How many points is that? 800? That's not too bad but I can't see this being super useful if you have fewer than 1,800 points. What's the tactical advantage over using the standard FOC? Being able to take more Elites/Heavy Support?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Cataphract posted:

I've had it happen twice. One time it scattered and only killed a couple marines and then made its way off the table. The other time it turned Pask into paste.

It was against the old orks, but I once had an opponent have a shokk attack gun scatter just right so it hit a Trygon Prime, a Tervigon, the Swarmlord and a tyrant guard. Rolled double six and on one turn I saw almost half my points disappear. I was too amazed to be upset about it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

Plus Immortals, if I'm reading this right. How many points is that? 800? That's not too bad but I can't see this being super useful if you have fewer than 1,800 points. What's the tactical advantage over using the standard FOC? Being able to take more Elites/Heavy Support?

Immortals are a troop choice (and I doubt that will change in the new edition). Though until the new rules come out who knows what it does.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Minimal cost for 1 Overlord(90), 1 unit of Immortals x 5 (85) , 2 Units of 5 Necron Warriors (65 x 2), 1 Tomblade (20) is 325 but that's with the old 5th edition codex.

It's actually not a bad formation at all as you can give transports to the Troops , make the Overlord a Bargelord etc..

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SRM posted:

Paint them porcelain; that's the best look for Necrons IMO.

Mine are kind of like that, but class divided. The Warriors and Immortals are metallic (along with scarabs) while canoptek things are the box black/green. However my lords and guard are all porcelain to represent being part of the former inner court.

Pretty much any necrons with independent thought are more classy.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I Shokk-Vortex'd the Land Speeder version of Sammael in Turn 1 the very first time I deployed the SAG. It's like losing your virginity to a supermodel, you just know you're not gonna get that experience again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really like this guys Necrons

I think it's a little over done with the weathering a bit but that's what I am trying to go for with my Necrons, a porcelain white with battle damage.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-61874-29079_Necron%20Scythe%20Army.html

Full Gallery.

Oh but gently caress painting white on a model, Airbrush all the way. My previous attempts were terrible, once I got the airbrush, it was so much easier.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 25, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I watched the Terminator movies 1 through 3 today. Getting me all hot and bothered with this Necron chat.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I love seeing glossy white Necrons. They're like iCrons, tens of thousands of years of Apple product development.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Is there an Imperial Knight virtual painter out there somewhere?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BlackIronHeart posted:

I love seeing glossy white Necrons. They're like iCrons, tens of thousands of years of Apple product development.

I'd think glossy black Necrons could look very good with a bright metallic blue or green for highlighting. Or a bronze and red look.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

A couple rules questions we we ran into last night:

1. Does a FMC benefit from area terrain cover saves if it is swooping over the terrain with its base positioned in it?

2. Can an imperial knight use its stomp attacks if the unit it assaulted is completely destroyed before the I1 step?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
A buddy of mine uses bronze and red (mainly as red acrylic tubes in the guns) for his 'Cron infantry and it's a really nice look with sandy desert bases.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hixson posted:

1. Does a FMC benefit from area terrain cover saves if it is swooping over the terrain with its base positioned in it?

2. Can an imperial knight use its stomp attacks if the unit it assaulted is completely destroyed before the I1 step?

1. No

2. No.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If you were a new tau player with a battleforce + a couple broadsides, what would be the best cheapest model you would want for your birthday?

What's the new 'in' thing with the fish kids oh god I've turned into my mom

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

If you were a new tau player with a battleforce + a couple broadsides, what would be the best cheapest model you would want for your birthday?

the battlesuit commander is a nice model... tis finecast though

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Took a break from doing some buildings to paint this up, what do ya think?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
that looks great. Really sharp colors on the wings.

Kind of looks like Christmas on the snow fields, though.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Hixson posted:

1. Yes. As silly as it is, FMCs are treated just like other models with respect to that sort of thing- only vehicles have a special exception.

2. No. If one side in a combat is completely eliminated, the combat will end and no more attacks will be made.

Boon posted:

Took a break from doing some buildings to paint this up, what do ya think?

Hornets are rad, and your paint scheme is wonderful. I am crazy-jealous of how good you get those gems to look.

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

Ignite Memories posted:

Cadre Fireblade probably. Or a Pathfinder team.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AbusePuppy posted:

1. Yes. As silly as it is, FMCs are treated just like other models with respect to that sort of thing- only vehicles have a special exception.

2. No. If one side in a combat is completely eliminated, the combat will end and no more attacks will be made.

Hornets are rad, and your paint scheme is wonderful. I am crazy-jealous of how good you get those gems to look.

Thanks guys! I don't think my Biel-Tan started christmassy, but I guess I just sub-consciously went there. I like to think I'm pulling it off alright :)

Also, had to go back and look up FMC, goddamn, you're right.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

I was lukewarm on the model before, with your paintjob and the angles that show the full geometry of the model I like it. It's more alien and modern looking than the Falcon, which was among the first Eldar models I saw that looked cartoony.

More people should do battle-wide shots during battle reports, more painters should use framing like this with photos of their models (not just high up but "in the scene" as well).

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

Necron codex is out there in the wild.

Panascope how you feeling buddy

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hey Cataphract, happy Australia Day!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Big shootas or rokkit launchers for Shoota Boyz?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
BS2 means Big Shootas when your Rokkits can't be TL. Leave tankbusting to Buggies, Deffkoptas and your own vehicles.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
That's what I figured.

Never thought I would miss BS3, but here we are...

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

Hey Cataphract, happy Australia Day!

You're a little early... Australia day is Jan 26 and it's still the 25th here... which happens to be my Birthday... 33... gently caress...

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I went playing Warhammer last night with some friends in a little friendly tourney and may I say that the Eldar Lynx can suck a giant back of dicks. A 2-shot large-blast SD AP1 gun with 60" range is NOT worth a mere 420 points. Especially when it's so small that you can just turtle up the little fucker behind a couple of wave serpents. 25% coverage my dick.

In more positive notes, my first match was against somebody playing the Adamantine Lance and one of my Ironclad Dreadnoughts went Knight bowling. Said Knight faffed its hit rolls against the dread on round one, which ended up the dread smashing through its knees on round two.. and of course the loving thing keeled over and smashed into the Knight next to it before melting down. And took it along with it. Sadly that Knight exploding didn't take out the third one, but did weaken it enough for mine to move in for the kill.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Cataphract posted:

You're a little early... Australia day is Jan 26 and it's still the 25th here... which happens to be my Birthday... 33... gently caress...

Hey man, 33 is the new 22. Or some such poo poo. Anyway, point being, rock on and continue to be awesome. Warham like the hammer of war that you were born to be. Or something along those lines. poo poo man, just enjoy your birthday! Happy cake-day, bruh. Get trashed and buy yo' self some tiny plastic mens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Locomotive breath posted:

Hey man, 33 is the new 22. Or some such poo poo. Anyway, point being, rock on and continue to be awesome. Warham like the hammer of war that you were born to be. Or something along those lines. poo poo man, just enjoy your birthday! Happy cake-day, bruh. Get trashed and buy yo' self some tiny plastic mens.

I should also mention that it's also my 2 year old daughter's birthday. So I spent most of the day serving tea to teddy bears.

• Locked thread