Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I think there's promise in a longer story aboard a derelict Star Destroyer like in the beginning of the book but they drop that real fast.

LOL 3 hours in and Han Solo outta nowhere, gonna get nice and dumb now.

That's what got me about the book, I was getting into it, then BAM! Han and Chewie. I just wanted a nice little side story about stormtrooper zombies and random no-name characters that can get killed off or zombified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Death Troopers takes forever to actually get going. It starts off normal then it becomes the WAR Z Brad Pitt version and random Han and Chewie. It spends way too long describing "fear/horror". Then the whole thing is left poorly resolved and Han forgets the whole thing ever happened. Could have been good, but meh.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Aside from zombies in general being well played out by now (are there even zombies? everyone is sick and dead but no zombies yet) it's like two big missed opportunities. Instead of being storm troopers vs. zombies which could be dumb fun, the book kills everyone but Han, Chewie, a doctor and some kids, so by the time the zombies do show up all the storm troopers are dead so no fun storm troopers freaking the gently caress out at zombies scenes, and there's that bit about the derelict Star Destroyer that starts the whole mess which would be a fun book on it's own, buncha Imperials making their way through an abandoned giant ship, guys going around corners and disappearing, creepy poo poo in the bio-lab, wholesale ripping off the thing and maybe evil dead. But nope, instead we got a book that at one point has a line something like "the doctor could smell the familiar copper tinge of her own fear"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

TOILETLORD posted:

better art than most 80's battletech and 70's starwars

Well yeah, Sonoda owns.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Do non English-speaking Star Wars fans have dumb fights over watching the movies with subtitles vs dubbing (the same way weebs have dumb fights over watching anime subtitles or dubbed)?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
drat a story about a derelict destroyer sounds pretty cool too

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

these are battletech books from japan

(I own them, because I like the cover artist, and asked someone to "find out what these books are" for me and they ended up just sending me copies)

That's not the art for Battletech in Japan. That's the Mechwarrior siderules (why it says Battletech Roleplay underneath the kanji in katakana). Also, it's probably why there's a heavy emphasis on characters than mecha.

This is Japanese Battletech...

That said, whoever got some good and popular artists at the time to do those books. Studio Nue for the main book and Kenichi Sonoda for the Mechwarrior rules.

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014
The new Rebels episode was pretty fun, Billy Dee Williams deserves more work. Hopefully Lando will become a recurring character

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I'll 2nd it, read last time I was between jobs, nothing better to do than read free star wars books from the library. Much better written than the film and actually fleshed out a lot of the story.

Right now I'm about 2 hours into the Death Troopers audiobook. More fun then it should be but after Maul: Lockdown I've had enough of prison settings.

You should move somewhere with a better funded public library program imo.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Thanks Disney for torpedoing the EU before we got to the ATM machine that suddenly became force-sensitive and, sensing how important Han would be to the Rebellion wouldn't let him withdraw his money to pay back Jabba, eventually forcing him to ferry some space hobos to Alderaan.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Lord of Pie posted:

Thanks Disney for torpedoing the EU before we got to the ATM machine that suddenly became force-sensitive and, sensing how important Han would be to the Rebellion wouldn't let him withdraw his money to pay back Jabba, eventually forcing him to ferry some space hobos to Alderaan.

We'll still get that when the new EU goes full circle in 10 years or so.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Energizer_Bunny

quote:

The Energizer Bunny was a male and was a member of a lagomorph-like Species that used an Energizer battery to keep going and going. Sometime during the Galactic Civil War, the Energizer Bunny's presence in the Force was so strong that it registered on the sensors of the Star Dreadnought Executor—a remarkable occurrence, given that detecting the Force generally required very specialized equipment such as a Force detector. Despite this, it is apparent that Vader only took action with regard to this matter after Emperor Palpatine ordered Vader to "get his battery" after sensing the "great disturbance in the Force" caused by the Energizer Bunny.[1]

Vader and the Energizer Bunny eventually met at a carbon freezing facility at an undisclosed location,[1] possibly Cloud City.[2] Vader soon discovered that retrieving the Energizer Bunny's power cell would not be as easy as he had thought. He taunted the Energizer Bunny and tried to lure it to the dark side of the Force. It easily evaded the Sith Lord's attacks by spinning. Eventually Vader's lightsaber, which had been powered by allegedly inferior Supervolt power cells, died out.[1]

With no apparent urgency, the Energizer Bunny exited the carbon-freezing chamber as the Dark Lord of the Sith screamed in frustration.[1]
Other activities

At some point, the Energizer Bunny was spotted on a viewscreen at the Star Tours depot. The extent of his involvement in the venture is presently unclear.[3]

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

freethought posted:

You should move somewhere with a better funded public library program imo.

I'm certain they had better stuff, it's more likely my taste that's suspect.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Fetus Tree posted:

drat a story about a derelict destroyer sounds pretty cool too

Republic Commando had a mission taking place on a derelict republic cruiser similar in appearance to the star destroyer. That level was bad rear end as hell, it had dead jedi, Trandoshan mercs and a last alamo moment in the docking bays when the trade federation send in their droid armies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Republic Commandos biggest problem as a game is that it doesn't have an ending. The story just kind of stops without any conclusion.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Aside from zombies in general being well played out by now (are there even zombies? everyone is sick and dead but no zombies yet) it's like two big missed opportunities. Instead of being storm troopers vs. zombies which could be dumb fun, the book kills everyone but Han, Chewie, a doctor and some kids, so by the time the zombies do show up all the storm troopers are dead so no fun storm troopers freaking the gently caress out at zombies scenes, and there's that bit about the derelict Star Destroyer that starts the whole mess which would be a fun book on it's own, buncha Imperials making their way through an abandoned giant ship, guys going around corners and disappearing, creepy poo poo in the bio-lab, wholesale ripping off the thing and maybe evil dead. But nope, instead we got a book that at one point has a line something like "the doctor could smell the familiar copper tinge of her own fear"

That should have been the story: just a group of storm troopers fighting zombies including like a wookie zombie.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Young Freud posted:

That's not the art for Battletech in Japan. That's the Mechwarrior siderules (why it says Battletech Roleplay underneath the kanji in katakana). Also, it's probably why there's a heavy emphasis on characters than mecha.

This is Japanese Battletech...

That said, whoever got some good and popular artists at the time to do those books. Studio Nue for the main book and Kenichi Sonoda for the Mechwarrior rules.

I'm a Sonoda nerd, not a Battletech nerd, so I don't know the intricacies. My apologies.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Seriously, if you have any interest in reading a star wars book (God help you), the novelization of Revenge of the Sith is fantastic. It's leagues better than the movie, though of course following the same story. But there's a lot more in the novelization and that difference adds up to a lot. Plus, inner monologues add a lot of depth that is not present in the movie.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

redshirt posted:

Seriously, if you have any interest in reading a star wars book (God help you), the novelization of Revenge of the Sith is fantastic. It's leagues better than the movie, though of course following the same story. But there's a lot more in the novelization and that difference adds up to a lot. Plus, inner monologues add a lot of depth that is not present in the movie.

it follows the same stor, sure,y but stover altered all of the dialogue and cut out, like, half the film and fiddled with a lot of subplots. it actually becomes a cool story, focused purely on the falling out between anakin and obi-wan, the former's turn to the dark side, and goes into detail how the jedi order failed to account for sidious' methods on a level beyond 'the dark side clouds us' or a CD-esque commentary on how the prequels are a 'deconstruction'.

it's kind of strange how lucas allowed it to be published when it is so different and, ultimately, superior to the movie it was based off

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

it follows the same stor, sure,y but stover altered all of the dialogue and cut out, like, half the film and fiddled with a lot of subplots. it actually becomes a cool story, focused purely on the falling out between anakin and obi-wan, the former's turn to the dark side, and goes into detail how the jedi order failed to account for sidious' methods on a level beyond 'the dark side clouds us' or a CD-esque commentary on how the prequels are a 'deconstruction'.

it's kind of strange how lucas allowed it to be published when it is so different and, ultimately, superior to the movie it was based off

ROTS film falls short because it felt like Lucas forgot to concludes the Vader story , it felt rushed, more like " Oh poo poo, everybody is dead, Anakin is not vader yet!" . Pre suit Vader lasted only about 30 minutes in the entire film. Once Vader got burned, the viewers never got to feel the impact and tragedy of his downfall, it was like " ok he is injuried, let's throw the suit in" . It felt as if there was no consequences for Vader's actions , it was as if he was just.....there.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

What did Stover cut out of the book that was included in the movie?

The best part of the book for me is how convincing Anakin's turn becomes and how Palpatine uses Amidala to make it happen - by both insinuating that Obi-Wan might be getting with her, and also that Padme is a leader of the nascent Rebellion, in direct opposition to Anakin. He also uses her impending death to turn Anakin fully against the Jedi, since the Jedi won't let him access the secret holocrons available only to jedi masters.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

redshirt posted:

What did Stover cut out of the book that was included in the movie?

notably, the battle of kashyyk

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_III:_Revenge_of_the_Sith_(novel)#Notable_differences_between_the_movie_and_the_novel

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_III:_Revenge_of_the_Sith_(novel)#Notable_differences_between_the_movie_and_the_novel

Oh yeah. Cool.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Actually, the book is much worse. My evidence:

quote:

Battle of CoruscantEdit
The battle sequence is expanded in the book, and detailed descriptions of a small number of maneuvers are included, such as the Slip Jaws maneuver. Also, the damage caused to Obi-Wan's fighter by the Buzz Droids is much more severe, to the point where his ship has lost all maneuverability. Also, Obi-Wan's on-board astromech droid R4-P17 is mistakenly listed as male, when, in fact, the droid has feminine programming.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Actually, the book is much worse. My evidence:

hello, transphobia? mods!

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014
Yeah, "female programming". What, so it is kind and nurturing and bears little droid babies?

That is evidently a thing in the Disney EU now, unfortunately. Chopper is listed as having "masculine programming", which I guess means he is an irredeemable psychopath that derives joy from inflicting as much pain on people as possible

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

hello, transphobia? mods!

uh my posts are transnegroid half-numale posterkin, please respect my posts identities

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 24, 2015

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
It turns out Alan Moore wrote Star Wars comics...their certainly a thing.

Blind Fury

quote:

A young Luke Skywalker is training with a remote while blinded, imagining he is in hell, attacked by beasts, with his X-Wing on automatic pilot when suddenly he gets a distress transmission from a woman, only hearing the words 'Garn' and 'tower' before the signal degenerated into a battle of static.

When he reaches Garn, it seems as a diseased bloated world, and he hears terror in the woman's voice. Realizing that he heard of Garn before but not remembering what it was, Luke enters the planet. He sees the tower, jutting like a cancerous talon from the dismal landscape. As Luke enters the tower, the door closes behind him and he sees dark beasts. A man's voice welcomes him to 'the halls of his damnation'. Luke discovers soul-snares, capable of holding a life force for all destiny and then discovers Jedi Knights in armor.

The man speaks again claiming to be 'the vengeful remains of Rur, high shaman of the terrible glare', although these were supposed to be eradicated by the Jedi thousands of years ago. The man explains that his body was no more but that his mind was encoded and preserved within the devices of knowing and that he traced Luke because of his sensors detecting a lightsaber. Because Rur had been in the computer for so long, he lost track of time, thinking the Pius Dea crusades were only months ago, when they were actually thousands of years ago.

Understanding the danger he is in, Luke tells him that all the jedi are killed and that he got his lightsaber from the last one. Thinking Luke is lying the man checks his sensor but finds that Luke's pulse has indeed stayed calm. Realizing his vengeance is in vain, he destroys the labyrinth.

While watching the flames for a long time, Luke thinks of hatred and of obsession and blindness. That of Rur and that of his own.

Dark Lord's Conscience

quote:

On the planet Cheelit, Darth Vader accepts an invitation to a game of Firepath from the ruler Dhol. During the match the Dark Lord reveals he was also challenged by the Guild of Vindicators to another game of wits, believing they wish to kill him. Meanwhile, outside the Hive Palace, two stormtroopers stand guard against any trouble. Clat the Shamer appears from the night startling the two troopers. Before either of the troopers can fire at the mysterious shape, Clat used his powers as an empath to drive first one trooper, and then the other insane with the guilt of their past deeds.

After dealing with the troopers, Clat moves into the palace, interupting the game of Firepath to confront Vader. While trying to use his empathic powers on the Sith, the Vindicator moves onto the Firepath game board. Believing he had influenced his mind, Clat is surprised when Vader continues to call out a turn in his game. When he does so, the fire meant to consume the game piece burns him instead. After the death of his would-be assassin, Vader admits to knowing that Dhol assisted the Vindicators in luring him to the planet. Vader then executes one last move, burning Dhol to death as well.

Tilotny Throws a Shape

quote:

After being forced to land on an unidentified planet, Princess Leia Organa tries to escape from pursuing Imperial troops. She stumbles upon the remains of some Imperial stormtroopers that had been lying there for thousands of years. Meanwhile, a spirit called Tilotny "throws a shape" and is followed by three more spirits. Leia soon meets them, along with three stormtroopers. Tilotny decides to play with them, and kills one stormtrooper by turning him into a diamond. After that she turns Leia's heart into a diamond too and mixes the remaining stormtroopers together. After being tired from playing, Tilotny leaves the spirit called Splendid Ap to restore everything to normal. Splendid Ap revives the four beings, but not being aware of the concept of time, mistakenly places the stormtroopers eight thousand years in the past. It was the remains of these stormtroopers that Leia discovered.

I love how "Un-Star-Wars-like" these are, their like something out of '80's Vertigo Comics.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

dog buttz posted:

It was an alias to avoid detection by the empire. You see, if they heard Obi-Wan Kenobi was living near a guy named Luke Skywalker, they may become suspicious. Ben Kenobi living near a guy named Luke Skywalker? Nothing suspicious about that!

I thought it was a local mangling of Obi-Wan. Bi-wan. Bin. Ben.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I thought it was a local mangling of Obi-Wan. Bi-wan. Bin. Ben.

did you really think this

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

did you really think this

It's the Clark Kent's glasses of disguises.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nckdictator posted:

It turns out Alan Moore wrote Star Wars comics...their certainly a thing.

Blind Fury

Dark Lord's Conscience

Tilotny Throws a Shape

I love how "Un-Star-Wars-like" these are, their like something out of '80's Vertigo Comics.

Jedi's Ladder

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Any major lorenerds know stuff about Stargate EU? I wanna know if it's just as bad.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Any major lorenerds know stuff about Stargate EU? I wanna know if it's just as bad.

Stargate EU is like, Stargate Universe. So its meh but not star wars insanity.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

kingcom posted:

Stargate EU is like, Stargate Universe. So its meh but not star wars insanity.

Well I mean there are novels and audiobooks and comics and poo poo, there has to be something dumb.

Or maybe something that deals with those Traveler dudes from Atlantis those guys were fuckin cool.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Well I mean there are novels and audiobooks and comics and poo poo, there has to be something dumb.

Or maybe something that deals with those Traveler dudes from Atlantis those guys were fuckin cool.

The worst stargate thing is the one episode with the mongolians who kill women if they look at men directly in the eyes. So i dont know if their extra stuff can be worse.

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

kingcom posted:

The worst stargate thing is the one episode with the mongolians who kill women if they look at men directly in the eyes. So i dont know if their extra stuff can be worse.

Nah, the worst Stargate thing is where they think Macguyver is an adequate replacement for Kurt 'Jack 'Snake 'Mac' Plisken' Burton' Russell or that any human being who has ever existed is capable of adequately replicating the experience that is James Spader. Also adding a woman and a black dude. Kudos for making the black dude into some hinky noble savage archetype though. But shame on you for making the woman smart and tough. Presumably this is continually undermined in some way, I dunno I don't watch fanfic crap

Devlin or die mo'fucka..

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Roland Emmerich threw a hissy fit when MGM decided to make a show instead of a new movie and he approved a book series that followed the original movie and contradicts everything in the show. Listening to Roland Emmerich talk about Stargate he really seems like he doesn't understand storytelling. For him that Stargate was only going to exist on the 2 planets, Ra was the last of a mysterious alien race, and a couple of other dumb things that thankfully got completely ignored by the SG1 writing staff, who in turn created the entire premise for the show from literally just "Stargate goes whoooosh!".

And there's the run of the mill crap books/comics you get with any franchise. The only notable one is the story they planned for Atlantis if it didn't get cancelled where Atlantis returns to were it was because of a bomb or something the Ancients built into the city.

kingcom posted:

Funny story, the woman who wrote that also wrote the insanely racist Star Trek episode about the African tribal planet.

On a whole, long running TV shows don't get the kind of terrible EU book stuff like Star Wars did. Once the new movie canon starts I'm sure there will be a new series covering what happens after said movies by the same poo poo writers who ran the EU into the ground.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freethought
Feb 24, 2011
Maybe I'm misremembering both of those episodes, but to be fair to Stargate, weren't they all like 'gently caress you' to the natives and eventually ended up tricking them and loving off leaving them to eventually die off as their society had become totally stagnant anyway? (The last part is only implied)

edit: Actually what are the chances that a TV sci-fi writer handled any of this appropriately

• Locked thread