Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Chilichimp posted:

You'd get shot saying something like that in Atlanta.

With some justification. Surprised there isn't a flag on "uppity" at m-w.com (there is at wikitionary.org).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

I really don't care about what Lynch does or doesn't say, but I find his total contempt of the media baffling. Was his mother Lady Diana or something? The dude is a gimmicky guy. From the grills, to the roped off Lambo, to the Skittles, to the flying crotch grab, Marshawn wants attention. So why does he get all uppity when reporters want to talk to him? Was he burned by a reporter in the past?

For some reason this post popped in my head today and I gotta say, its an expert take. Really well done.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The hottest, smelliest take I've seen this side of the Mason-Dixon Line

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
lol, TFFer unironically using the word uppity

Unless I'm missing that that was a c/p from somewhere

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

You know what sucks? There must be a few black people out there who are actually uppity and nobody will ever be able to call them on it

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
The Thug Conundrum

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

as an uppity man, I

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

sweet thursday posted:

You know what sucks? There must be a few black people out there who are actually uppity and nobody will ever be able to call them on it

I like to act uppity sometimes just because of that.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

football fuckerman posted:

The Thug Conundrum

A good band name

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Oh cool, this thread exists.

I'm leaving today to cover the super bowl for the week. Was thinking about making a "superbowl week through the eyes of a sad alcoholic tv producer," thread but wanted to gauge interest.

edit: interest, do any of you have.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Do it. I think that'd be pretty interesting.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Jay Carney posted:

I'm leaving today to cover the super bowl for the week. Was thinking about making a "superbowl week through the eyes of a sad alcoholic tv producer," thread but wanted to gauge interest.

Sup industry buddy.

Just be sure you're not breaking company policy or whatever. SA ain't worth losing jobs over.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

It doesn't happen as much in SAS, but there have been plenty of instances where goons go internet detective and ruin a thread like that just to show how smart they are. I'd be interested in reading that thread, but definitely cover your tracks if you do.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jay Carney posted:

I would like to read it. I'd also like to know why you haven't been suspended for a year for consuming alcohol. How do you evade the drug tests? Do you inject clean urine into your bladder beforehand?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In case you haven't read any dumb old white guy opinions recently, here's Jerry Green (one of four writers to cover every Super Bowl) talking about how Joe Namath was fun but Marshawn Lynch grabbing his balls is just too much.

Era of innocence for Super Bowl, NFL long gone

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Henchman of Santa posted:

In case you haven't read any dumb old white guy opinions recently, here's Jerry Green (one of four writers to cover every Super Bowl) talking about how Joe Namath was fun but Marshawn Lynch grabbing his balls is just too much.

Era of innocence for Super Bowl, NFL long gone

Lol he literally calls trick plays immoral.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

The overriding national – and worldwide – sports story will be the competing coaches of the Super Bowl teams. The newspapers – we still exist, even if the NFL is no longer mindful of us – television and the Internet's amateur bloggers will tell of cheating, of scandal.

holy loving :qq:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Lol he literally calls trick plays immoral.

Play action is a moral grey zone, as long as the pass is caught within five yards of the LoS. 6 or more yards is roughly on par with pederasty.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Dear god, it is worse than I thought.

quote:

Both Super Bowl coaches – Bill Belichick of the Patriots and Pete Carroll of the Seahawks – are sullied by historical lack of innocence. By character deficiencies.

Carroll, with the continued lugging of baggage from the violations at Southern California when he coached college football.

quote:

Innocent? Not quite innocent, but really nothing damaging, nothing threatening our democracy.

Trickery?

Sure, sneaking prize college athletes out the back-room dormitory windows to hide them to keep them from signing with the other league. Or grabbing a Billy Cannon coming off the field at the goalposts after a bowl game and signing him to a loaded contract to keep him from teams in the other league.

Kidnapping the other league's quarterbacks – stealing away a John Brodie?

It was all innocent, clever, newsworthy – and humorous.

:psyduck: How is Carroll's recruiting violation any different from those wonderful old-timey shenanigans? (Say what you will about him bailing on USC, but the violations themselves don't seem too much more harmful than what Green described. )

Also he complains about how innocence has been lost recently and points to Lynch's nut grab. Part of the beauty of innocence is that someone who has it doesn't see anything wrong with what Lynch did, only the twisted old misers like Green really give a poo poo if a dude touches himself. His terror of Marshawn's gesture reveals his own lack of innocence. Marshawn isn't telling Green to suck his dick, it's Green's own inference.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Media day was an unimaginable clusterfuck that made me glad I don't cover sports often. Crews were straight banging in the scrums, gronk's mult-box was dead, and I almost went off on a photog who shoved my correspondent into a wall. Only 6 more days...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jay Carney posted:

Media day was an unimaginable clusterfuck that made me glad I don't cover sports often. Crews were straight banging in the scrums, gronk's mult-box was dead, and I almost went off on a photog who shoved my correspondent into a wall. Only 6 more days...

Can/will you share more without risking your job? I'd love to hear what the NFL press are like when they aren't in front of a camera/keyboard, as well as the intricacies behind media day and all the other poo poo.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Can/will you share more without risking your job? I'd love to hear what the NFL press are like when they aren't in front of a camera/keyboard, as well as the intricacies behind media day and all the other poo poo.

Yeah I'll try, not gonna do a thread but I'll post some in here. Gonna be sketchy on details but will try and give some insight on how the sausage is made.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
The Sports Hub morning show guys were bitching about how media day was pretty much a mosh pit because they held it in the basketball arena instead of the football stadium like has been done in previous Super Bowls.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Jethro posted:

The Sports Hub morning show guys were bitching about how media day was pretty much a mosh pit because they held it in the basketball arena instead of the football stadium like has been done in previous Super Bowls.

Wasn't last year in the Newark Arena as well?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Wasn't last year in the Newark Arena as well?

Yes, they started it because of the cold weather in New Jersey and probably made more money than if they do it in a stadium (selling tickets/hyped up atmosphere).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-media-news/boycott-skittles-marshawn-lynch-monetizes-mocking-of-media/

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
This mother fucker right there... He's going deep in the douche-offs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
He put his FACE on this.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Sports Journalists Unite!

Form of, a lazy hack
Shape of, a petulant baby

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

GNU Order posted:

Form of, a lazy hack
Shape of, a petulant baby

I was just thinking one common element amongst all these poo poo writers is that they seem to lack either form or shape.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I loving love it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chilichimp posted:

He put his FACE on this.

Its the article his face deserves

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sports journalism dot org

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

#skittlegate

#skittghazi

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wish there was some sort of snake pit I could throw both sides of this issue into

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

#skittlegate

#skittghazi

#SkittleBighorn

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
This isn't the first time a white man has unfairly targeted a black man over skittles. :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Lynch has two of the top stories on ESPN.com right now. Sports writers should be sending him cases of Skittles in return for all the page views he's getting them.

• Locked thread