Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

atomicgeek posted:

There was a competent guy. Remember him?

Shame he got iced by Lilith; he was fun. Now there are no competent guys.

Just gotta quote this, because these pics are not doing justice to the show without the Sam bitchface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Supernatural Season 10 - I was hoping you could explain to her why you murdered her only friend.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Charlie!

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I thought that witches got their power from the hell, so wouldn't the king of hell be immune to spells? I'm starting to want to like this show more than I like it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Some do, some don't. And to some extent "witches" are just what they call evil magic users. There are plenty of folks with magic powers or that do magic poo poo that they don't call witches. It's not like the boys can't do a bit of mojo now and again.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Yeah, witch just seems to be the catch-all term for "person who casts bad spells". Sometimes a demon is helping them out to become more powerful, sometimes you have witches like the poker dude who don't seem to have anything to do with hell.

Anyway I don't think there's anything particularly special about the king of hell aside from getting to rule it - I don't think it grants them any kind of special immunity against hell/demon-based power, and seems to clearly not be the case based on how scared Crowley was of Cain. So I guess the explanation is just "it doesn't work that way" and you probably shouldn't spend a lot of time thinking too hard about it, like many of the rules in this show.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Murphy Brownback posted:

Yeah, witch just seems to be the catch-all term for "person who casts bad spells". Sometimes a demon is helping them out to become more powerful, sometimes you have witches like the poker dude who don't seem to have anything to do with hell.

They even mentioned that in the first episode that really showed Rowena.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Murphy Brownback posted:

Anyway I don't think there's anything particularly special about the king of hell aside from getting to rule it - I don't think it grants them any kind of special immunity against hell/demon-based power, and seems to clearly not be the case based on how scared Crowley was of Cain. So I guess the explanation is just "it doesn't work that way" and you probably shouldn't spend a lot of time thinking too hard about it, like many of the rules in this show.

Did they ever explain why crowley is a crimson demon rather than the regular black? Lilith was white, but IIRC even the yellow eyed demon was black smoke. Assuming that was just a cosmetic change they made later, lets assume that YED should've had yellow smoke. That's all of 3 demons we've seen that are significantly different.

Was crowley always a red smoke demon? Before becoming the king of hell?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcswizzle posted:

Did they ever explain why crowley is a crimson demon rather than the regular black? Lilith was white, but IIRC even the yellow eyed demon was black smoke. Assuming that was just a cosmetic change they made later, lets assume that YED should've had yellow smoke. That's all of 3 demons we've seen that are significantly different.

IIRC all of the Crossroad demons had red eyes so the assumption is that they also have red smoke.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

computer parts posted:

IIRC all of the Crossroad demons had red eyes so the assumption is that they also have red smoke.

Didn't snooki have black eyes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x98BtSEqMds hard to tell, but it looks like she has red eyes, you might be right.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Supernatural Season 10: We hit a rich vein of stupid! Dig, dig, dig!

joebuddah posted:

I'm starting to want to like this show more than I like it.
This, essentially,

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

mcswizzle posted:

I don't know about the smoke color - that was probably just something they added to make Crowley more unique, probably using the red eyes from being a crossroad demon (although do they ever show him doing the eye thing?) as justification. I think Alistair (pretty sure, although it's been a while since I watched the episodes with him) and Samhain also had whiteish eyes, but I think both of their smoke was black when Sam did his thing on them.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Crowley's mother with the stupid accent, can she leave already? I just find it so loving hard to credit that Crowley, the King of Hell, would be taken in by so basic a con as that.

I just hope he's faking it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah his mom can't die or whatever soon enough. She's absolutely terrible.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Crowley was all about modernizing hell. You'd think he could install a nanny cam in his quarters to catch people plotting against him.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I really hope Crowley isn't being taken that easily but he's been heavily off his game since he started downing human blood.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

Crowley's mother with the stupid accent, can she leave already? I just find it so loving hard to credit that Crowley, the King of Hell, would be taken in by so basic a con as that.

Well, she did have that hex bag from behind his throne, so it is a good bet he is off his game with the human blood and the mojo mom is working on him.

Saveron_01 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 24, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

He's in a tough spot. If he kills her, where is she likely to end up?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Angela Christine posted:

He's in a tough spot. If he kills her, where is she likely to end up?

How is that a tough spot? She'd be completely in his power then.

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

Tiggum posted:

How is that a tough spot? She'd be completely in his power then.

Would a witch go to hell or purgatory? They are human in appearance but it seems like their souls might be changed like vampires etc.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

FowlTheOwl posted:

Would a witch go to hell or purgatory? They are human in appearance but it seems like their souls might be changed like vampires etc.

If they sold their soul for witch powers, then it is a direct route to Hell. Natural/Students of magic would depend on how good and/or evil they were before dying, then go to Heaven/Hell. They are not properly monsters in the strict sense of the word, they are still human.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Saveron_01 posted:

If they sold their soul for witch powers, then it is a direct route to Hell. Natural/Students of magic would depend on how good and/or evil they were before dying, then go to Heaven/Hell. They are not properly monsters in the strict sense of the word, they are still human.

All this witch talk just makes me miss the magical couple from season 7 even more. They dropped Leviathans like it was child's play, and maybe if the actors they cast had been regular run of the mill nobodies they could've brought them back for recurring roles.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I hope Cas' daughter gets Poochied and we never see her again. In the first episode she was understandable, but in the second one she comes off dumb as gently caress. Almost as dumb as her hair. This season has been really bad, I mean, they came out of the gate swinging with demon Dean and Crowley broeing it up but it got bad really quick.

I know some of you like that there is no deffinitive end-game for the season yet (maybe getting the mark of Cain off? ) but for me it seems like so far we've got a few good episodes and a whole lot of bad ones, plus the Rowena stuff is cliched as hell and it got old two episodes ago.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Yeah, this season seems to be spinning its wheels right now. Either some major plot should start happening or we need to get some more good one-offs (like Fan Fiction or Hibbing 911).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think we are going to get much of an overreaching plot other than "Consequences". Maybe Metatron getting lose and having to get ganked.

Yea, I was completely expecting the weird people the daughter hooked up with to be demons, but nope, just weird rear end normal people.

My thoughts, Metatron gets loose, kills the daughter, Cas goes all old testament, Dean gets rid of the mark and then BOOM OH poo poo WE NEED THE MARK AND THE BLADE BECAUSE OF PLOT REASONS WHY METATRON CAN'T BE KILLED WITHOUT IT and then fade to black.

Crowley's mom is gonna go down, hard. She's bumbly, she's a bit of an airhead, and most importantly she is hardcore loving with the King, and I'm pretty sure we are going to see that whatchacallit, council? of witches come into play later on.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

and I'm pretty sure we are going to see that whatchacallit, council? of witches come into play later on.
Coven, man

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

We all know this is leading up to Crowley's mom teaming up with Castiel's daughter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I don't think we are going to get much of an overreaching plot other than "Consequences". Maybe Metatron getting lose and having to get ganked.

Yea, I was completely expecting the weird people the daughter hooked up with to be demons, but nope, just weird rear end normal people.

My thoughts, Metatron gets loose, kills the daughter, Cas goes all old testament, Dean gets rid of the mark and then BOOM OH poo poo WE NEED THE MARK AND THE BLADE BECAUSE OF PLOT REASONS WHY METATRON CAN'T BE KILLED WITHOUT IT and then fade to black.

Crowley's mom is gonna go down, hard. She's bumbly, she's a bit of an airhead, and most importantly she is hardcore loving with the King, and I'm pretty sure we are going to see that whatchacallit, council? of witches come into play later on.

Or she fucks with Hell so much Crowley is forced to join up with the Winchesters pretty much for good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The main thing is that Mark Sheppard is too good to lose. Crowley isn't going to die unless Sheppard gets a movie role or something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Junior G-man posted:

Thank you, her character in general and her voice in particular grates the gently caress out of me. Having her and Metatron in the same episode is just making me go "UGGGGGHHHHHH" nonstop.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Demon / angel strength in this show has always basically been DBZ-style arbitrary Power Level poo poo anyway. As in "I can't beat this angel / demon because he is TOO POWERFUL for reasons of shut up they're just too powerful."

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 26, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah but when Cas and Metatron are talking in Heaven it doesn't make a ton of sense for us to be watching Misha Collins and Curtis Armstrong. Except of course that it's the only practical way for the TV show to do it since two Chrysler building sized three headed glowing things screeching at high volumes would be difficult to make work.

They have to shoot it like that or everybody watching the show would burn their eyes out. :)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Well, they're making it pretty obvious how they're going to resolve the Mark of Cain with this whole "splitting of good side / bad side" thing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well, they finally found something worse then Felicia Day acting like nerd gamer girl. Felicia Day trying to act like an evil badass.

I'm apparently the only one who doesn't think Felicia Day is a convincing actress though.

quote:

Charlie's come back from the Oz war broken in two. It's a great chance for Day to show off her acting range as well as some sweet knife handling skills. And kudos to Supernatural, a show that seems to take the road-well traveled a few too many times (brotherly secrets, angsty fights and big bads) for finding so many different things to do with her. Charlie retains the same adorkable charm, but she's never the same character twice

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 28, 2015

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh this is a Charlie episode? Yay.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

raditts posted:

Well, they're making it pretty obvious how they're going to resolve the Mark of Cain with this whole "splitting of good side / bad side" thing.

It wouldn't work. Even regular Dean is hard to imprison. Dark Dean would be quite happy to become a demon again, so he wouldn't be afraid of death. They'd have to find a way to contain Dark Dean so he couldn't escape and also couldn't hurt himself. He'd be harder to contain than Demon Dean, because they have to keep him physically healthy so he needs food, hygiene and exercise, they can't just leave him chained to a chair.

It would be easier to keep whole Dean imprisoned than splitting him in two and trying to keep just his dark half contained.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

It wouldn't work. Even regular Dean is hard to imprison. Dark Dean would be quite happy to become a demon again, so he wouldn't be afraid of death. They'd have to find a way to contain Dark Dean so he couldn't escape and also couldn't hurt himself. He'd be harder to contain than Demon Dean, because they have to keep him physically healthy so he needs food, hygiene and exercise, they can't just leave him chained to a chair.

It would be easier to keep whole Dean imprisoned than splitting him in two and trying to keep just his dark half contained.

Not to mention that Good Dean could possibly be a less effective hunter. Sometimes 'bad' things are unfortunately necessary.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This is like three episodes in a row where I watched the whole thing and can't remember them the next day. Nothing of any importance is happening and this is more or less the same poo poo we've been seeing for 3-4 seasons now. I feel like I want to get off this ride but I don't know if I can. I usually ride these shows out until the bitter end(Dexter, Sons of Anarchy), but here there is no end in sight. This poo poo could go on for another 4 or 5 seasons, I can't hang on for that long.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

This is like three episodes in a row where I watched the whole thing and can't remember them the next day. Nothing of any importance is happening and this is more or less the same poo poo we've been seeing for 3-4 seasons now. I feel like I want to get off this ride but I don't know if I can. I usually ride these shows out until the bitter end(Dexter, Sons of Anarchy), but here there is no end in sight. This poo poo could go on for another 4 or 5 seasons, I can't hang on for that long.

Since season 9 was the last of a 3 year guarantee (7/8/9) and season 10 was a holy poo poo we're coming back they can't write insanely detailed stories stretching across multiple seasons because they don't know if they'll get cancelled, so everything they do needs a quick way to wrap up and give a good series finale. Since CW renewed this show so early it might be a sign they're willing to do another multi-season promise so the writers can stop spinning their wheels and avoiding adding anything to big.

By this point last season we were already full into the Angel civil war happening on Earth, Metatron playing both sides, and Kevin getting killed. All of that required the groundwork being laid in the previous season in order for them introduce it in season 9. For now, season 10 started out as demon Dean and Crowley palling around, something I wish they had stuck with but given the inital worry that season 10 would be the last wanted to set it up so that Dean could lose the mark and give up being a hunter while Sam becomes the new Bobby to the next generation of hunters.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
If this is the shite we're getting, they might as well just end it.

They should have just let Dean kill Charlie. At least then it wouldn't have been this soap opera level twee crap.

edit: loving hell, like all this fan-pandering through Charlie is totally show ruining. Why the hell are they taking any sort of advice from her? Like seriously. What level of authority does she have to say "she's not letting this happen to them" as if the character is on the same level as something like Bobby or Cas or whatever.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Charlie episodes have gotten really...not good.

I wonder why the meta episodes have actually stayed pretty good but the Charlie episodes haven't.