Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

My question is how long it's going to take for children's television to just outright die, now that it's clear that in the digital era, kids are quite content to watch silly people play video games on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

My question is how long it's going to take for children's television to just outright die, now that it's clear that in the digital era, kids are quite content to watch silly people play video games on YouTube.

Are you just naturally this dumb or do you actually have to work at it?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Are you just naturally this dumb or do you actually have to work at it?

Sorry my joking observation pissed you off so much

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The thing that puzzles me the most about PewDiePie and Smosh and Ray William Johnson and most of the big youtubers with a lot of followers in the 8-12 age bracket is that we haven't had the big thinkpiece and hashtag spawning conversation about how inappropriate their material is for the audience that they're targeting.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 24, 2015

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/counter-monkey/counter-monkey-they-duel-thats-what-they-do/

Spoony meets a really bad L5R group that misinteprets a lot of poo poo to be as douchie as possible.

Spoony is a drat fine storyteller

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Yaws posted:

Spoony was a drat fine storyteller. The very early stories about his bard character and the toilet pizza etc are great fun. But now the default setting is anger not wry enjoyment and that's just not very much fun to watch. I rewatch the early Counter Monkeys but I won't watch these later ones again.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, his review of DnD 5th was so volatile that it became sort of awkward when everyone who liked it had their reasons and he sort of kept quiet. So for a few weeks the latest you could watch was a guy spitting verbal acid in your face.

On another note a lot of the top Youtubers' content isn't appropriate for the age bracket, and I guess that's why their audience watch it so much. It's something new, dangerous, something you're not allowed to do/watch. And then you get out of the age bracket and realize exactly how bad it all was.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Yaws posted:

I wouldn't consider this most recent Counter Monkey a great example of it, but yes.

If you want a great story, try his early Counter Monkey videos, or if you've got a decent chunk of time, his Thieves World videos in particular. That whole Thieves World story is amazing and legitimately me made consider finding an RPG group to join, because I had no idea tabletop games could be that loving crazy and intense.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

High Warlord Zog posted:

The thing that puzzles me the most about PewDiePie and Smosh and Ray William Johnson and most of the big youtubers with a lot of followers in the 8-12 age bracket is that we haven't had the big thinkpiece and hashtag spawning conversation about how inappropriate their material is for the audience that they're targeting.

because in truth that's pretty much exactly what 8-12 year olds want and are like. It's like how the 10 year old kids in south park talk pretty close to how 10 year olds actually talk when there's no adults around

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

surf rock posted:

If you want a great story, try his early Counter Monkey videos, or if you've got a decent chunk of time, his Thieves World videos in particular. That whole Thieves World story is amazing and legitimately me made consider finding an RPG group to join, because I had no idea tabletop games could be that loving crazy and intense.

I don't think anybody can watch the Thieves' World videos and not come out wanting to join/start an RPG group.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah the Thieve's World videos contained so much enthusiasm from everyone Spoony described. No petty vitriol, backstabbing is usually playful and they managed to finish a campain.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

New Half in the Bag - Inherent Vice and Oscar Buzz

Part two is on loving point. I'm not even gonna spoil it. Just watch it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Spoony was a drat fine storyteller. The very early stories about his bard character and the toilet pizza etc are great fun. But now the default setting is anger not wry enjoyment and that's just not very much fun to watch. I rewatch the early Counter Monkeys but I won't watch these later ones again.

I guess it doesn't really bother me. The only thing I don't like about Spoony are his movie reviews. Actually I loving hate them. All the criticisms he gets about them are apt imo. They're bloated, meandering and nitpicking.

Other than that though he's one of the only internet reviewers I like.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
'Oh man, I wonder what Jay and Mike will have to say about the Oscar Nomi--' BOYHOOD? BOYHOOD! BOYHOOD BOYHOOD BOYHOOD

e: I've realized that while I find Jay and Mike really funny, unless they're talking about something like Jack & Jill I actually kind of despise them as film critics.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 24, 2015

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vicas posted:

because in truth that's pretty much exactly what 8-12 year olds want and are like. It's like how the 10 year old kids in south park talk pretty close to how 10 year olds actually talk when there's no adults around
And in fact, the last two episodes of South Park guest-starred Pewdiepie and had Kyle fretting about kids these days like Ike watching YouTube videos instead of playing actual video games.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

PewDiePie is a highly energetic, super fan communicative and prolific commentator which is perfect for what is basically a small highly energetic podcast with a game behind it (Like a morning radio show of some sort). Argumentum Ad Temperantiam The Show's argument would mean that a longplay of Wonderful 101 or Metal Gear Rising would be more far more views than Chip and Ironicus's lp of such.

I don't like PDP, but I can see that folk use criticism of such to excuse others' horrible streams or lps.

Slate Action posted:

'Oh man, I wonder what Jay and Mike will have to say about the Oscar Nomi--' BOYHOOD? BOYHOOD! BOYHOOD BOYHOOD BOYHOOD

e: I've realized that while I find Jay and Mike really funny, unless they're talking about something like Jack & Jill I actually kind of despise them as film critics.

Mostly because they sort of learned from the same whatever as Brad Jones did which was to milk a joke as much as possible and that only sort of applied to Mr. Plinkett reviews.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Once PDP stopped the rape jokes (and good on him for listening to people about that) he became a lot less objectionable, and just unappealing to a lot of people outside of his target age range

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Slate Action posted:

I couldn't disagree with you any more, and honestly Boyhood deserves every ounce of hazing it gets. There are tons of better films out there with good acting, gripping stories, and actual character and style to them that could be getting attention, but instead people are focused on fellatating Boyhood instead.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to whoever brought up MrBtongue in the previous thread. You never know how much you needed a gamey talky youtube person who's actually read books until you get one.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 24, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the movie that actually deserves all the oscars is twister's revenge, for this and every other year

e: in all seriousness, do the Oscars even matter really or do people just look at them like they look at Grammys?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Vicas posted:

Once PDP stopped the rape jokes (and good on him for listening to people about that) he became a lot less objectionable, and just unappealing to a lot of people outside of his target age range

Didn't he resume with them after something like a week after he stopped?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Man is it still surreal to watch Half in the Bag and I know exactly where they filmed the opening shot. Hell, I go to that beach pretty often during the summer.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cubey posted:

the movie that actually deserves all the oscars is twister's revenge, for this and every other year

e: in all seriousness, do the Oscars even matter really or do people just look at them like they look at Grammys?

Nobody cares who wins or who doesn't win the Grammys. Nobody cares who wins the Oscars either, but everyone loves to obsess over who didn't win/get nominated who obviously should.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There was an interesting breakdown about it on a recent Animation Dissection episode on how that was one way to get movies to at least sort of push boundaries and how for animation, it's sort of a big deal since it can lead to studios getting more funds/publicity. You aren't going to see let's say The Rabbi's Cat on the Oscars since the Academy doesn't quite recognize cartoons as not just as a thing for kids, but there's steps here and there.

On the other hand, it gets hosed up when both are stated, at the same time. "This is a circlejerk until stuff I don't like wins and stuff I like doesn't win."

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 24, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
http://marzgurl.tumblr.com/post/109013296182/thoughts-on-our-premiere-of-farewell-famikamen

I wish I could've been there to see it.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Gyges posted:

Nobody cares who wins or who doesn't win the Grammys. Nobody cares who wins the Oscars either, but everyone loves to obsess over who didn't win/get nominated who obviously should.

I'd say Oscars are more culturally relevant than Grammys (and all the other big awards) but yeah, unless you wanna be a Jeopardy contestant it's mostly a sort of cultural white noise that you talk to people about when there's nothing else going on

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Not a whole lot of people care about what movies or actors get Oscars but people care a whole lot about what and who doesn't get nominated.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Oh man, do you guys remember Revver? I just thought about it for the first time in forever, just now. I remember thinking how crazy it was that you could actually upload videos to a site and make money at that (not that I ever did, obviously).

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DStecks posted:

Oh man, do you guys remember Revver? I just thought about it for the first time in forever, just now. I remember thinking how crazy it was that you could actually upload videos to a site and make money at that (not that I ever did, obviously).

Didn't everyone quit Revver because it ripped off all of its producers and kept the money for themselves?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tracula posted:

Didn't everyone quit Revver because it ripped off all of its producers and kept the money for themselves?

Eventually the cheques stopped getting sent out, but I don't think what happened behind the scenes at the company itself has ever become public knowledge. Some articles I found seem to indicate that ad revenue couldn't support the running costs after the initial investment money ran out. Can't say for sure if it was take-the-money-and-run underhandedness, or your typical "oops we're a tech startup who can't actually run a business" situation.

IIRC they shafted TGWTG to the tune of 40 grand, which I don't think they ever saw.

Ronk a Donk
Feb 13, 2012
The Oscars are more relevant than the Grammys because they at least give the movies nominated that year a signal boost-- it's about advertising more than prestige. In contrast, a Grammy nomination gives neither advertising nor prestige.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
At the very least, I would never have heard of The Secret of Kells if it hadn't been nominated.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If the Oscars didn't exist, then the studios probably wouldn't finance mature adult dramas even to the limited extent they do now. You'd probably still see stuff like Fox Searchlight, where a studio has a division for distributing indie films they've picked up, but without the Oscars the prestige drama would probably be dead. And as much flack as that format (rightfully) gets for so often being blatant awards fodder, you can't deny that a lot of legitimately great films fall under that "genre".

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I couldn't disagree with you any more, and honestly Boyhood deserves every ounce of hazing it gets. There are tons of better films out there with good acting, gripping stories, and actual character and style to them that could be getting attention, but instead people are focused on fellatating Boyhood instead.

Yeah, their hatred for Boyhood is beautiful. God drat from their review I knew exactly what the film was going to be.

It took twelve years to make!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I’ve got a new episode, in which I watch one of the first spaghetti westerns scored by Ennio Morricone, A Pistol for Ringo.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

echopapa posted:

I’ve got a new episode, in which I watch one of the first spaghetti westerns scored by Ennio Morricone, A Pistol for Ringo.

Nice find! My mother's a huge Western aficionado, I should ask he if she's seen this one the next time I visit.

I was a fan of Ennio Morricone's scores even before I knew who he was back when I was a kid. I rediscovered my love for his work when L'Arena was used in Kill Bill volume 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpFVxlisWFM

Beat No.3 from Teorema.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ypiiieayaw

And finally, Lilly and Frank from In the Line of Fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3inQ64Vv5Uk

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Anita Sarkeesian posted an update to the Tropes vs Women Kickstarter page providing a retrospective of the past two years (including a detailed explanation of why each video takes several months to be produced) and explaining her future vision for Feminist Frequency. It looks like Feminist Frequency will be expanding its scope and producing multiple feminist- and otherwise-progressively-oriented online video series concurrently. There are a few more details in the first Feminist Frequency annual report (one interesting tidbit: their total budget for next year is $400,000, up from $64,200 this year :stare:).

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

It was touching. I only met Justin in passing once for a moment, so I can't speak as someone who knew him at all, but you could tell that they poured their hearts and souls into the movie. And so many people shared stories about him after the movie - there weren't many dry eyes in the room.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Mr.Radar posted:

Anita Sarkeesian posted an update to the Tropes vs Women Kickstarter page providing a retrospective of the past two years (including a detailed explanation of why each video takes several months to be produced) and explaining her future vision for Feminist Frequency. It looks like Feminist Frequency will be expanding its scope and producing multiple feminist- and otherwise-progressively-oriented online video series concurrently. There are a few more details in the first Feminist Frequency annual report (one interesting tidbit: their total budget for next year is $400,000, up from $64,200 this year :stare:).

I met her last year at GDC and expressed my gratitude to her for continuing to soldier on. She's a very tiny person in real life, and she was surprisingly meek. Found out later I met her AFTER she'd been informed her presence at the event had triggered bomb threats (apparently gamers think threatening to kill game developers will make game developers more likely to treat them as the sane, rational alternative). And this was BEFORE Gamergate.

One of my colleagues at my job was making Reddit jokes and asking what it felt like to wipe the slime off my hands :smithicide: I did indeed just post this to my wall to pre-emptively shut up the next jackhole hurr-hurring about "OMG $160,000!"

I always wanted to write some kind of critique of the videos, but ever since GramerGrate I don't want to make a target out of myself again (already had one incident of stalking related to it.) I also kinda realized I can do more by just existing in this industry and not being a colossal shithead (about games.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Thanks to whoever brought up MrBtongue in the previous thread. You never know how much you needed a gamey talky youtube person who's actually read books until you get one.

Seriously, even if you don't care for his Mass Effect 3 dissection, watch his videos. The Shandification of Fallout made me realize just how much thought and planning went into New Vegas over Fallout 3, and not just because former Black Isle developers were on the case.

• Locked thread