Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
This might not be right, but I remember the story shifts to being almost completely the Vimes plot about halfway through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
That's what I remember too! I really liked the last half, especially Death being forced to have a near Vimes experience

Colons misadventures start out frustrating and get better and better IIRC. The end of that arc is pretty great too.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

GodFish posted:

This might not be right, but I remember the story shifts to being almost completely the Vimes plot about halfway through.

Oh. That's comforting. I remember thinking, when I stopped reading last time, that Vimes has the most character. And I think maybe that's because he's an archetype. Whereas I don't even know how to read Carrot or Colon - it seems like their mannerisms change from one paragraph to the next, and not necessarily when the situation also changes.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

supermikhail posted:

Oh. That's comforting. I remember thinking, when I stopped reading last time, that Vimes has the most character. And I think maybe that's because he's an archetype. Whereas I don't even know how to read Carrot or Colon - it seems like their mannerisms change from one paragraph to the next, and not necessarily when the situation also changes.

You're thinking of the opposite. Colon and Carrot are basically archetypes, whereas Vimes and Angua go beyond that somewhat.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Well, Vimes is a disorganized, gruff PD with a certain amount of smarts and self-deprecation, plus a somewhat strict moral code. Carrot - I don't know anymore. He started out buff but dumb, basically; then he's suddenly elusively wise; last time he placed duty above all; and in this book he's nearly switching to "thou" in pretty high and formal speech, and running after Angua with no fucks given for the city. :shrug:

As for Colon, my chief complaint is that in one passage his speech is filled with apostrophes for streetwise flavor, and in the next he might as well be carrying a dictionary around.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

supermikhail posted:

Well, Vimes is a disorganized, gruff PD with a certain amount of smarts and self-deprecation, plus a somewhat strict moral code. Carrot - I don't know anymore. He started out buff but dumb, basically; then he's suddenly elusively wise; last time he placed duty above all; and in this book he's nearly switching to "thou" in pretty high and formal speech, and running after Angua with no fucks given for the city. :shrug:

As for Colon, my chief complaint is that in one passage his speech is filled with apostrophes for streetwise flavor, and in the next he might as well be carrying a dictionary around.

Personalitywise, Colon is a stock cop and Carrot is a stock good guy (with all the implications that there's something more being in the way other characters interact with him). Vimes has an inner monologue that's a little more fleshed out while Colon and Carrot have 1-d inner monologues when we peek inside their heads briefly.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
The thing about Carrot is that while he is incredibly naive he gradually becomes more worldly while maintaining his air of naïveté so well that the narrator ends up saying things like "only a truly complex person could present themselves as being so simple" and that's Carrot in a nutshell.

Carrot is more than just a stock good guy, he will straight up cold heartedly ice a villain if he has the opportunity, heck, he will lie to a villain, pretend to be on his side, and then kill him the second he has the opportunity without any warning whatsoever. That's not a stock good guy thing.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Blind Melon posted:

The thing about Carrot is that while he is incredibly naive he gradually becomes more worldly while maintaining his air of naïveté so well that the narrator ends up saying things like "only a truly complex person could present themselves as being so simple" and that's Carrot in a nutshell.

Carrot is more than just a stock good guy, he will straight up cold heartedly ice a villain if he has the opportunity, heck, he will lie to a villain, pretend to be on his side, and then kill him the second he has the opportunity without any warning whatsoever. That's not a stock good guy thing.

Well, no. It's been a while since I've read Men at Arms, but Carrot's depth comes entirely from other characters being suspicious of his motives because he's outwardly completely a good guy and purely heroic. In that scene, we read it like how you said because that's how Vimes sees it. I'm pretty sure that the raw dialogue is set up so that Carrot could also have been completely sincere, just like at the Fools' Guild earlier. Carrot probably (in as much as we can meaningfully dig into the personalities of these characters) has much more to him than the outward perception, but of course his character relies on our inability to get into his head.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Well, you're right, it could have been sincere, right up to the point where he puts his sword through the guys chest so hard it pins him to a stone column and it obviously wasn't.

The guy has the drop on Vimes and Carrot plays his dumb naive game just long enough to get close enough to the guy to gut him. It's not a generic hero trait. Its not sincere. It's not even honest. He straight up lies to the guy just to get close enough to kill him. That's Carrots thing. As things progress he stops being truly naive and innocent, and just remains that way because he prefers it. Until someone tries to pull something over on him and it becomes apparent just how much he has picked up from VImes.

It's the villian with the gone if there is anyone here who hasn't already figured that out.

When did he do the teaching hooligans soccer thing? That was very similar, initially you think Carrot is simply naive but after he gets them playing a game instead of being violent you really have to wonder, if it actually worked, is it truly naïveté?

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 25, 2015

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Oops. That's the problem with book threads - people have usually read further than you. :downs:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blind Melon posted:

When did he do the teaching hooligans soccer thing? That was very similar, initially you think Carrot is simply naive but after he gets them playing a game instead of being violent you really have to wonder, if it actually worked, is it truly naïveté?

The better example is in Soul Music, where the Quizzing Machine is installed at the Mended Drum. Carrot gets into it and adds a bunch of questions asking who committed various unsolved crimes, leading to a number of arrests.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Blind Melon posted:

Well, you're right, it could have been sincere, right up to the point where he puts his sword through the guys chest so hard it pins him to a stone column and it obviously wasn't.

The guy has the drop on Vimes and Carrot plays his dumb naive game just long enough to get close enough to the guy to gut him. It's not a generic hero trait. Its not sincere. It's not even honest. He straight up lies to the guy just to get close enough to kill him. That's Carrots thing. As things progress he stops being truly naive and innocent, and just remains that way because he prefers it. Until someone tries to pull something over on him and it becomes apparent just how much he has picked up from VImes.

It's the villian with the gone if there is anyone here who hasn't already figured that out.

Well, reread it. His actual dialogue never actually agrees with Cruces and he just says that the papers are interesting. It's carefully set up to make you think, like Vimes and Angua do, that Carrot is incredibly manipulative, but it's also possible that he's just that straightforward. The papers are interesting, but Ankh-Morpork does not need a king. The soccer thing is in Jingo, and there's also hiring Reg Shoe to handle undead liaison work in the same book, and there are a couple things in TFE too. But they're all carefully set up so that either interpretation is possible. There's a really good quote in Night Watch about Vimes that can also apply to Carrot, but I don't wanna spoil it.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
There is literally no way Carrot is actually that straight forward. Remember this is the guy who first tried to arrest a Dragon. Guy has grown.

He's not a hero archetype, he's a more realistic take on the "One True King", a King who arrived at the city he was destined to rule, and then, being actually a good King, decided that the place was better off in someone else's hands. It's why he gets to arrest dragons and kill villains with nobody batting an eye.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 25, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Blind Melon posted:

There is literally no way Carrot is actually that straight forward.

It actually would be funnier if he was, and the main event that kicks Night Watch off just wouldn't work if it were all an act (or else Carrot's an incredible, mind-boggling rear end in a top hat).

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Did I say it was all an act? No. In fact, I went out of my way to make it clear I meant otherwise.
Now you are just deliberately misrepresenting me.

You have a very interesting (and disturbing!) concept of sincerity.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 25, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Blind Melon posted:

Did I say it was all an act? No. In fact, I went out of my way to make it clear I meant otherwise.
Now you are just deliberately misrepresenting me.

Please don't jump on me for not seeing your edit, it's rude.

He's also not a realistic character either way.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I made that point well before my edit. Get over yourself.

You are still deliberately misinterpreting me.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Blind Melon posted:

I made that point well before my edit. Get over yourself.

You are still deliberately misinterpreting me.

Settle down, Beavis.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

drat, it would sure suck if something in a Pratchett novel was inconsistent between books.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

Effectronica posted:

Settle down, Beavis.

Translation: You are 100% correct and I am being an rear end in a top hat, but you have got me too riled up to actually admit it so I'm going to make some pithy comment and slink off into the night.

Vv v Yuuuuuuuuuuup

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 25, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Blind Melon posted:

Translation: You are 100% correct and I am being an rear end in a top hat, but you have got me too riled up to actually admit it so I'm going to make some pithy comment and slink off into the night.

If that makes you feel better, sure.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Melon posted:

Vv v Yuuuuuuuuuuup
You made this post in a thread about Terry Pratchett. You got extremely angry and posted like this during an argument about how sincere Captain Carrot Ironfoundersson is.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Lmao. I can't count the number of people who I met online who initially thought I was some seriously angry dude and quickly realized that I take very little of this seriously.

Tell me more about how I'm frothing at the mouth please.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Melon posted:

Lmao. I can't count the number of people who I met online who initially thought I was some seriously angry dude and quickly realized that I take very little of this seriously.
Wow, you seem angry but don't take it seriously? You must be snarky, as well. I bet you have a dry, sarcastic sense of humor.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Blind Melon posted:

Tell me more about how I'm frothing at the mouth please.

Looks like we've got a badass over here.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
^^^ Stone motherfucking cold one right here.

*settles into couch*
Tell me more doctor.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

This thread needs editors as badly as Terry does.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Looks like we've got a badass over here.
He's almost as big an out of control renegade as Captain Carrot, a man with nothing left to lose.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mirthdefect posted:

Editor's, I think you'll find.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Guys sometimes it is ok to not get the last word on the internet.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Oooooh I get it now. Idiots defending their own.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's almost as big an out of control renegade as Captain Carrot, a man with nothing left to lose.

Lol.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Editor's, I think you'll find.

Lol, again.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Blind Melon posted:

it becomes apparent just how much he has picked up from Vimes.

Vimes puts words in his head.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Well, personally, I feel like giving you a right ding round the lughole.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

supermikhail posted:

I wouldn't say Carrot was dumb. I would say more naive. He came to the watch having memorized the code of law or whatever that book is called. A dumb human couldn't pull that off. He just did't realize that the world doesn't actually follow the book of law to the t. That humans make simple things complex.

I haven't read much of the Sam Vimes books but what you stated, it seem that overtime Carrot becomes less naive, and sort of lets it go.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

mirthdefect posted:

It's called the ignore button.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DrNewton posted:

I wouldn't say Carrot was dumb. I would say more naive. He came to the watch having memorized the code of law or whatever that book is called. A dumb human couldn't pull that off. He just did't realize that the world doesn't actually follow the book of law to the t. That humans make simple things complex.

I haven't read much of the Sam Vimes books but what you stated, it seem that overtime Carrot becomes less naive, and sort of lets it go.
Yeah, Carrot's never been portrayed as dumb. He just grew up in a very straight laced and literal minded society, so it takes him a while to learn exactly how the city ticks.

As the books like point out, simple is not the same as stupid.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, new topic: It really annoys me that Stephen Briggs reads all the characters from the monastery in Thief of Time with the standard Atlocious Oliental-Sounding Accent.

I had a lot of problems with the large-cast recording* but that wasn't one of them.

*although it did get Death's voice just right. People always try to give him A VERY DEEP BASS VOICE and it just doesn't work for many people if they don't actually already have deep bass voices.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
TO be fair, it's hard to beat Christopher Lee as Death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

tooterfish posted:

As the books like point out, simple is not the same as stupid.

That is the whole point though... Carrot isn't simple. As the books point out later, you have to be fairly complicated to actually pull off being Carrot.