Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

"Whatcha doing?"

"Just watching Fabiano in the feature match area, eating Cheerios out of the box. You?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Just went 3-0 in the Legacy Cube with mono-Green splash Vraska and Abrupt Decay. Thrun, Phantom Centaur, Rancor, and Curse of Predation were gross together.

Deck was:

green decks are pretty easy to pull together in cube, for some reason nobody ever seems to try it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

But the card is so garbage why even play it? :rolleyes:

I still think it's terrible...

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

jassi007 posted:

green decks are pretty easy to pull together in cube, for some reason nobody ever seems to try it.

Yeah, green was pretty much wide open. The only cards I didn't end up with that may have been nice was Woodfall Primus and Acidic Slime. I played the guy with the Primus and just crashed Thrun in to it over and over with Rancor. Which he kept blowing up for some reason instead of going after lands.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Watching Fabiano play, I'm really pleased control isn't the standard UW wrath/big draw, some win con. I like the variety we're getting with UB control, Sultai control Abzan midrange/control.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm really enjoying Gerard's Sultai Cards I Own deck. Silumgar is awful for Elspeth to face down.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

jassi007 posted:

Green is the second-most contested color in cube. GU tempo/ramp/combo and GW midrange all fight over mana dorks aggressively, and if you're playing any of those a Master of the Wild Hunt or a Thrun are easy includes even if they're not exactly how your deck wants to win. Contrast this with Hero of Oxid Ridge -- the only deck that would run that is one that's extremely dedicated to red aggro, which means you're likely to see it if that's what you're building. Mono-green aggro/midrange usually just gets eaten by people doing other things.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Never thought I'd see a board with two Rakshasa Deathdealers on each side, but here we are.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I can't get a handle on this version of the cube. Anyone write anything decent about it ?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

Watching Fabiano play, I'm really pleased control isn't the standard UW wrath/big draw, some win con. I like the variety we're getting with UB control, Sultai control Abzan midrange/control.

I really like the Mardu tokens deck vs this meta. I think being able to go under Ugin is going to be huge in this standard...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

And here's Hunter "You Can Do That Twice?" Nance staring down the 13/13 Trample Lifelink Warden of the First Tree.

Nice.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Andrew Boswell uses the 6-mana ability on Warden of the First Tree twice. Opponent has to read the card again, and loses. :getin:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Always read the card...

I mean he wasn't winning that game but still

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Always read the card...

I mean he wasn't winning that game but still

How does someone not know what Warden does?

Everyone I know who saw it immediately asked or realized about activating the last ability multiple times.

Oh well, Magic. :v:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Everyone I know who saw it immediately asked or realized about activating the last ability multiple times.

He probably looked at the card when it was first spoiled and thought, "Oh, a green Figure of Destiny."

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
That near-win on a Manifest'd Siege Rhino was beautiful.

Goddamn ninja rhinos. :ninja:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

bhsman posted:

That near-win on a Manifest'd Siege Rhino was beautiful.

Goddamn ninja rhinos. :ninja:

I'm adoring the twitch chat right now, they're all saying Dan should've won because, and I quote "He didn't take the damage from caves tapping for white, URBORG IS ON THE BOARD!"

:psyduck:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

It's Notion Thief all over again.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Count Bleck posted:

I'm adoring the twitch chat right now, they're all saying Dan should've won because, and I quote "He didn't take the damage from caves tapping for white, URBORG IS ON THE BOARD!"

:psyduck:

Twitch chat went nuts earlier and were incorrect about urborg being in play, so when the dude actually did tap caves for white instead of black and didn't pay life nobody cared. At the same time the dude had a triland anyway and just didn't tap that instead.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Got wrecked at a PPTQ in sealed format. Slumdog Dragonnaire feels almost stone unbeatable in sealed.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Huh. I didn't realize you pick the color for Gods Willing upon resolution. I've definitely lost creatures by not knowing that.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man, is there a format Fabiano won't play Rakshasa's Secret in?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Fabiano is another player I dislike, because he plays slow as hell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

qbert posted:

Fabiano is another player I dislike, because he plays slow as hell.

He probably just forgets what his cards do cause he plays so much jank...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Wow, just noticed that the Twitch stream for the SCG Open has over 17k current viewers, versus 1400 viewers on Magic's own channel.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

qbert posted:

Wow, just noticed that the Twitch stream for the SCG Open has over 17k current viewers, versus 1400 viewers on Magic's own channel.

The production values pretty much dictate that.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Yeah I'm sure its that and not the fact that one stream is in the middle of a Top 8 and the other is on a lunch break.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

qbert posted:

magics stream looked like it is taking place in a community college classroom the last time i looked at it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Fabiano posted his entire 75 on the website and he's still crushing this tournament. The guy is an awesomely good player.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I wish I played enough Standard to warrant building this deck, it looks rad. I feel like you'd want four Acolytes though, even if you only need one to combo off.

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

And here's Hunter "You Can Do That Twice?" Nance staring down the 13/13 Trample Lifelink Warden of the First Tree.

Nice.

Hunter plays at my store. He's known for not reading cards. It's like his thing. Well, that and trolling.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Who ended up winning the Open?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Gfab on Sultai Control. Dude has been crushing it. Didn't he just win a GP?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Rinkles posted:

Who ended up winning the Open?

Congratulations to Gerard Fabiano for winning the #SCGDC Standard Open!

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/240115_washingtondc.html

Having not watched/played magic in a while, this really got the itch back in me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cool cool, unlike some in this thread I enjoy Fabiano's deck choices. (And am an obnoxiously slow player as well)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Alaan posted:

Gfab on Sultai Control. Dude has been crushing it. Didn't he just win a GP?

He won GP Baltimore back in mid-December, and GP Montreal last March.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Cool cool, unlike some in this thread I enjoy Fabiano's deck choices. (And am an obnoxiously slow player as well)

I think his deck looks super hard to pilot. It's just removal, dig and inevitability through planeswalkers. You really have to know your own deck and the meta to play it effectively. Bravo to him for being able to pull it off.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I think his deck looks super hard to pilot. It's just removal, dig and inevitability through planeswalkers.

You forgot the Feed the Clan.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I will say that whenever I watch Gerard Fabiano play he always looks like he hates his life - the dude has an absolutely morose poker face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'll be curious how the new Jeskai decks shake out once the figure out the new numbers. Monastery Master + Jeskai Ascendancy was TERRIFYING. G1 of round 15 Tom Ross went from basically no board to good game over two turns. Couldn't get it to come together all the way the next two games over crushing Abzan pressure though. T2 3/3, T3 3/3, T4 Rhino is rough beats for Jeskai to take down.

• Locked thread