Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

gently caress you say?

ronny hat isn't that cool or funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Obvious question that I'm sorry if it's been asked: started playing SR with 3 and felt 4 did nothing to make me interested in Gat at all. Is Gat Out Of Hell worth it if you are :geno: at best on Gat?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Obvious question that I'm sorry if it's been asked: started playing SR with 3 and felt 4 did nothing to make me interested in Gat at all. Is Gat Out Of Hell worth it if you are :geno: at best on Gat?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No even if you are interested in him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

Yes.

Really its more of the same with Gat or Kinzie replacing the Boss.

Its also a pretty great coda on the first 4 games as well.

Like whatever happened to Tobias and Laura.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

MisterBibs posted:

Did you like the gameplay in 4? Would you like an excuse to do more of that? How are you on collecting orbs? This game boasts 940 of emm! Collect orbs till yer eyes pop! I liked the gameplay in 4 so more of that with a new set of objectives to complete, I don't feel like I got ripped off by any means, I'm also not terribly thrifty.

My two biggest complaints from earlier in the thread have been nullified. The reviews that stated there is only 2 cutscenes turned out to be false and Idol Ninja made a mod that puts music back in. (I've been giving the stock soundtrack a chance, I get what they're trying to do but the same folks that spent what I'm guessing is a bunch of time making all kinds of action specific musical stings forgot that this game boasts 940 loving orbs to grab and by hour 5-6 I just want to hear Bueller, Underdogs and Blow The Roof on an endless loop.)

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 25, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The greed gun really pays for itself after a few murder sprees. Need the vacuum stomp to collect all the money drops afterwards, haha!

IdolNinja
Mar 7, 2011

It's our time now!
Let's get this shit started!

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Did you like the gameplay in 4? Would you like an excuse to do more of that? How are you on collecting orbs? This game boasts 940 of emm! Collect orbs till yer eyes pop! I liked the gameplay in 4 so more of that with a new set of objectives to complete, I don't feel like I got ripped off by any means, I'm also not terribly thrifty.

My two biggest complaints from earlier in the thread have been nullified. The reviews that stated there is only 2 cutscenes turned out to be false and Idol Ninja made a mod that puts music back in. (I've been giving the stock soundtrack a chance, I get what they're trying to do but the same folks that spent what I'm guessing is a bunch of time making all kinds of action specific musical stings forgot that this game boasts 940 loving orbs to grab and by hour 5-6 I just want to hear Bueller, Underdogs and Blow The Roof on an endless loop.)

Tools are out that you can build your own radio stations for Gat out of Hell with any of the songs from SR4 (and possibly SRTT too but haven't thoroughly tested that yet.)
https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/changing-radio-stations-in-gat-out-of-hell.9049/

Also, testing alpha support for a gui based tool that will let you build custom stations using your own local mp3s.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Anatharon posted:

ronny hat isn't that cool or funny.
Took you over a week to come up with that?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Volition should just have a list somewhere of like every song they like because goddamn there are good tracks in the Saints Row games.

IdolNinja can you confirm the Volition opinion of this song??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQuXuHBneOw

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Ah, Gat Outta Hell, the second game in a decade that I bought the first week (The other was Saints Row 3).

Took me 16h because I wanted to finish all the missions. Did the loyalty missions actually do anything?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Fire Storm posted:

Ah, Gat Outta Hell, the second game in a decade that I bought the first week (The other was Saints Row 3).

Took me 16h because I wanted to finish all the missions. Did the loyalty missions actually do anything?

I think those unlock the epilogues for each person which, in turn, unlocks the final epilogue. That's at a guess as I finished all of the loyalty missions before completing the game, so the cutscenes just happened periodically.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

So I asked before and I'll try again, but I have no idea what I have to do to finish this game. The second I go to pick one of the multiple endings the game crashes and restarts and I have to do the last fight all over again.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

A) It's mostly loving around with fun activities without any real narrative and b) you can do it as Kinzie instead.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 25, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rookersh posted:

I liked Asha.

She shares a lot of similarities with Kinzie honestly. She starts out disliking the Saints, grows to respect them, and by the end of the game she is a Saint through and through.

She's also got the whole "On the surface is a pretty on the level character, but if you poke around underneath she's got some darkness" thing going for her that Kinzie had at first. Just you know, Kinzie let it all out when she became a fully fledged Saint, while Asha keeps it hidden.

"Female old Gat" isn't the worst idea for a character, and hopefully she gets fleshed out a bit more in the sequel.
Asha isn't anything like Kinzie or Gat. Asha's whole personality is "I am angry because Saints keep breaking the rules and doing things the wrong way!" Gat is the total opposite of that, and Kinzie is just quite a different character really.

Young Freud posted:

The "Press E to Dodge" is almost redundant if you just know how to duck and weave between buildings. Also, it's cooler that way, flying nape of the earth through favelas and the road tunnels that cut through many of the sectors. Trust me, a missile ain't going to follow you through those.
You can often just flap your wings to dodge them as well. I don't know how the reviewer could have had any difficulty with them. I didn't even bother taking out most of the spires for ages just because they're such a non-issue.

MisterBibs posted:

They really played up the "Gat is an awesome dude whom you love!" angle in SR4, but fortunately they've toned that way down in this one, so no, you don't have to care about who Gat is or anything to play this game. And if you prefer you can play most of it as Kinzie (exceptions being briefly at the very start before you get the option to switch; and there are some collectables for each character that only they can get, so if you want all of them you'll have to play as both at least a little bit; and even less importantly there's a challenge for playing each of them for at least... two hours I think?)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Asha's design always weirded me out a bit. Not sure what it was, but it seemed like she had a different style to the other characters.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Asha's design always weirded me out a bit. Not sure what it was, but it seemed like she had a different style to the other characters.

Racist. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

I can't be racist, I'm friends with Pierce. :colbert:

Think it might have been her eyes? They struck me as much more vivid.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Just as a general "warning", you can't fight the final boss as Kinzie. If you start the mission as her, she tags out for Gat and you play the rest as him.

So, sadly, no second set of 5 endings for Kinzie, as I hoped.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

Just as a general "warning", you can't fight the final boss as Kinzie. If you start the mission as her, she tags out for Gat and you play the rest as him.

Say what you will about the Saints, at least they let you play as a woman mostly.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Light Gun Man posted:

My friend pointed that it's a shame you can't recruit low level homies and restore them complete with wings. Then there would have been a chance this could have been recreated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIVpMXHqlk&t=134s

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

That scene where she and the boss sit around smoking looks terrible. Like the animation on her face is loving cringeworthy, it still stands out in my mind.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
It's good to see Satan - come on, how is this a spoiler? Who ELSE could it be? continuing the proud Saints Row tradition of having the final boss be a tedious bullet sponge.

Everything else is awesome, though.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Hopkins FBI posted:

It's good to see Satan - come on, how is this a spoiler? Who ELSE could it be? continuing the proud Saints Row tradition of having the final boss be a tedious bullet sponge.

Everything else is awesome, though.

Fully upgraded rocket launcher with instant reloads and infinite ammo fixes this.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

If your blast power is upgraded enough, you can pretty much cheese him by spamming stone blast. By the time he recovers from each blast, the power has recharged and you can repeat the process. It gets a bit trickier when he starts summoning dudes and doing that smoke thing, but it's still not too bad. Having a fully upgraded rocket launcher helps as well, especially when he's turned to stone and takes more damage. :getin:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Gave in and bought this since my friends seemed to be having fun with it. Glad I did, fun game. My one and only complaint is that beating the game did not unlock my beloved Boss for play. At least she was in the game though. Still have a ton of other stuff to do in the game, so looking forward to that.

I'm now looking forward to the next full game even more. Really excited to see where they go from here, and I hope the reboot doesn't dial down the crazy too much.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

IdolNinja posted:

Also, testing alpha support for a gui based tool that will let you build custom stations using your own local mp3s.

I'm down for this. How would the stations work? Are there pre-set station names/icons? Can we import our own? Is there just one "custom music" station?

Speedball posted:

The greed gun really pays for itself after a few murder sprees. Need the vacuum stomp to collect all the money drops afterwards, haha!

The Diamond Sting is great once you put a couple of points into jackpot. Just think of it as an investment.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 25, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
nvm

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There's only one radio station and it has 11 tracks.

IdolNinja
Mar 7, 2011

It's our time now!
Let's get this shit started!

ChaosArgate posted:

There's only one radio station and it has 11 tracks.

We're also looking at adding additional blank stations somewhere down the line, along with similar tool support for SR4 and SRTT radio editing.

The new version of the gui tool that was released last night allows you to browse local mp3s and use them to build. It's a simple 3 step process (browse to your music files, build button, move the new files over to the game folder.) Just that easy.
https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/changing-radio-stations-in-gat-out-of-hell-using-your-own-music.9052

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

How do you replenish ammo for the Armchair of Doom?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Speedball posted:

Buy it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Speedball posted:

Sinterpol machines, same as everything else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

That's really dumb. I was planning to pick this up after payday but that just unsold me on it, at least until a sale. Giving the player a choice of characters but forcing them to swap to the one they don't want to play as is pretty lovely.

I'm glad to hear the AA stuff was bullshit at least, the flight is the thing I was most excited about in the game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That's really dumb. I was planning to pick this up after payday but that just unsold me on it, at least until a sale. Giving the player a choice of characters but forcing them to swap to the one they don't want to play as is pretty lovely.

I'm glad to hear the AA stuff was bullshit at least.

Well, it only happens for a single fight. I don't like Gat but it's seriously NBD.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Megazver posted:

Well, it only happens for a single fight. I don't like Gat but it's seriously NBD.

Yeah, I know I'm probably overreacting but I genuinely dislike Gat. He is like Poochie the Rocking Dog to me. I don't want to play as him at all if I can avoid it. Considering the game is named after him I wasn't expecting him to be a nonentity but I figured it was at least Player 1/Player 2 situation.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

It mostly is a Player 1/Player 2 thing, but the story is literally "Gat really wants to shoot Satan in the face, Kinzie only comes along because it's her birthday and she just wants to". Kinzie has absolutely no dog in the fight for hell, she just didn't want to sit on the ship. From a storyline perspective, it actually would have been a bit weird for her to even want to fight the devil in the first place.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I know I'm probably overreacting but I genuinely dislike Gat.
If you don't like the way he was played up in SR4 as this super-awesome dude whom everyone loves, they seem to have calmed down from that and aren't pushing him so hard. I prefer Kinzie, but Gat is more like SR2 Gat in this game than the character that exists in insane fans' heads.

Crappy Jack posted:

It mostly is a Player 1/Player 2 thing, but the story is literally "Gat really wants to shoot Satan in the face, Kinzie literally only comes along because it's her birthday and she just wants to come along". Kinzie has absolutely no dog in the fight for hell, she just didn't want to sit on the ship.
That is really underselling Kinzie. She and the boss are pretty similar and get along better than either of them would admit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

It mostly is a Player 1/Player 2 thing, but the story is literally "Gat really wants to shoot Satan in the face, Kinzie only comes along because it's her birthday and she just wants to". Kinzie has absolutely no dog in the fight for hell, she just didn't want to sit on the ship. From a storyline perspective, it actually would have been a bit weird for her to even want to fight the devil in the first place.

Well, Final Fight has two guys trying to rescue their girlfriend/daughter and a ninja who comes along because he is Cody's friend but you still can fight the final boss as each. S'what I meant by Player 1/Player 2

Tiggum posted:

If you don't like the way he was played up in SR4 as this super-awesome dude whom everyone loves, they seem to have calmed down from that and aren't pushing him so hard. I prefer Kinzie, but Gat is more like SR2 Gat in this game than the character that exists in insane fans' heads.

That's good to hear, yeah. SR4 Gat was the one I found particularly insufferable. I'll probably pick it up anyway since I'm weak and want to blow poo poo up.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I wasn't a big fan of him in SR4, but I actually kind of like him in this. Unrepentant murderous rear end in a top hat flying through Hell, complete with the attitude of "Yeah, I'll probably end up here, so might as well have some fun" just feels like it works.

The characterization is basically The Boss, minus some intelligence, with an added love of violence. It would feel weird playing him in a regular setting, but I like him in Hell. And come on, it's Daniel Dae Kim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
drat, I really want the planet colonization/fight as a real game now.

So I know people have said that it's pretty short even while doing all the story bits but I've put about 10 hours into this thing. I don't *remember* leaving my system on so I've apparently done that legitly! Pretty dang good for 20 bucks.

Right now I'm finishing up the challenges since I've done all the activities and collected all the soul clusters and audio books.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 25, 2015

• Locked thread