Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Picnic Princess posted:

Business students in Calgary in an entrepreneurship course.

There is no hope.

And this is coming from someone in an "Ecotourism and Outdoor Leadership" major. I'm supposed to be the anti-tech hippie Luddite if we're going by stereotypes and preconceived notions.

Speaking as someone who works retail selling computers, there is A LOT of people who just use default poo poo because they simply can't be bothered/don't care/are unwilling to learn anything new no matter how simple.

Just by the sheer action of posting on this forum you are probably more tech savvy then 50% of the people at your school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
gently caress. My. Mathlab.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

Why are university students using Internet Explorer? They were using it to access Google Drive. I just feel so lost. How does this happen? I'm 33, and most of them are 19. It makes sense for me to know what IE is, but how the hell do they know? Did they only ever use Grandma's computer to play Club Penguin up until now?

People assume millenials know a lot about computers but they actually know very little.
http://coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

A lot of software that's required for use, like online PDFs that need to be filled out online, only work on IE and a lot of software my school uses doesn't work on Chrome, so people are told to either use IE or Firefox.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What an rear end in a top hat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tunicate posted:

What an rear end in a top hat.

I just read the preface and I already want to swirly him until he drowns.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

Alterian posted:

People assume millenials know a lot about computers but they actually know very little.

Whatever merit there is in what this guy is saying is completely squandered by how much of a condescending shitheel he comes off as. Some random kid forgot to plug in his ethernet cable and thought his internet wasn't working? Millenials don't know how to use computers :smug:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Alterian posted:

I wonder if other professions have people like him. Are there auto mechanics who mockingly pretend that the law of friction has vanished when someone says the breaks don't work, and rant for hours about how anyone who has never fixed a broken spark plug doesn't really know how to drive a car?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Finisher1 posted:

Whatever merit there is in what this guy is saying is completely squandered by how much of a condescending shitheel he comes off as. Some random kid forgot to plug in his ethernet cable and thought his internet wasn't working? Millenials don't know how to use computers :smug:

Yeah. I have many of the same complaints from my time working at the school help desk, but I hope I wasn't this big a shitheel about it. At least, I know I'm not now. I even joke that the techie's best tool is Google, and explain that 90% of my work came down to checking for things like cables plugged in, switches switched, and reading prompts on the screen.

Sure, 10% came from knowing that I could reformat a corrupted drive then use data recovery software to find the lost data because of how digital storage works, but that was few and far between people who had all the same problems as this guy's customers.

I do know someone who is pretty much this guy too. He's also a full-tilt ancap libertarian.

edit: gently caress, then the guy starts going into a screed about how using an OS should require going up hill both ways in a snowstorm? :fuckoff:

Warmachine has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Jan 23, 2015

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Alterian posted:

what a loving dick, i hope he stays a virgin forever

edit: the way he projects the girl he's supposed to be helping sounds incredibly sexist and like he hates women:

computer snob posted:

I smiled and introduced myself as I sat down beside her. She handed me her MacBook silently and the look on her face said it all. Fix my computer, geek, and hurry up about it. I've been mistaken for a technician enough times to recognise the expression.

'I'll need to be quick. I've got a lesson to teach in 5 minutes,' I said. 'You teach?'
'That's my job, I just happen to manage the network team as well.'

She reevaluated her categorisation of me. Rather than being some faceless, keyboard tapping, socially inept, sexually inexperienced network monkey, she now saw me as a colleague. To people like her, technicians are a necessary annoyance. She'd be quite happy to ignore them all, joke about them behind their backs and snigger at them to their faces, but she knows that when she can't display her PowerPoint on the IWB she'll need a technician, and so she maintains a facade of politeness around them, while inwardly dismissing them as too geeky to interact with.

I've met quite a few sad assholes that feel that way when they "help" people and project any kind of words or gestures as a personal slight against them in university and his attitude here is completely unprofessional (and would probably get him fired if his boss read it)

How Rude has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Jan 23, 2015

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
So an update on my situation: The school completely hosed up and didn't mean to send me conduct hearing notices/judicial affairs notices, they meant to send me a "We heard you were depressed and want to make sure you know we're here to talk". So...quite the 180 from the other school.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Alterian posted:

What irritates me so loving much about this prick is that among the slobbering sounds of him sucking his own dick, there are a couple of reasonable points. For instance, legislators in charge of making laws governing computer use and judges that hear cases where those laws are applied really should have some idea of what is going on inside the beige case. It's too bad that the few decent ideas he brings to the table are drowned out by SLURP SLURP SLURP MMMMMM

"Heh heh better call the president and tell him the whole Internet is down heh heh" :smug:

i will find this kid and punch him right in the braces

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Richard Bong posted:

gently caress. My. Mathlab.

I paid $80 to do homework. That's all. Nothing else, no notes or study material.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyone probably says this every year, but gently caress school books. Spending around $200 on a new edition that has a loving key like a PC game only for it to be used like twice the entire semester.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

cmykjester posted:

Everyone probably says this every year, but gently caress school books. Spending around $200 on a new edition that has a loving key like a PC game only for it to be used like twice the entire semester.

The textbook industry is a goddamn racket.

One of the coolest professors I had back in my undergraduate days wrote his own book for his course and self-published. He sold them to us for seven bucks apiece, which is about how much it cost him to have them printed :dance:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

What irritates me so loving much about this prick is that among the slobbering sounds of him sucking his own dick, there are a couple of reasonable points.

I agree, his self-important attitude that drips from every paragraph actively does damage to that otherwise decent argument (I don't think the lawmakers need to really know all that much, what they need to do is be advised by someone other than a loving ISP lobbyist from time to time, without I-promise-they-aren't-bribes getting in the way of objectivity. Alas.).

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

One of the coolest professors I had back in my undergraduate days wrote his own book for his course and self-published. He sold them to us for seven bucks apiece, which is about how much it cost him to have them printed :dance:

You got lucky, I've had a few professors that require their own textbook and expect you to buy them from the bookstore. Oh and here's the grad student who will be lecturing you the whole term, I will see you again when I hand out the mid-term and final.

Che Delilas has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Jan 25, 2015

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Being a non traditional student sucks so much.

Sweet, two hot girls in my discussion group!

They're both closer to my daughter's age than mine.

Oh well, wonder what that old overweight housewife that talks about her children non-stop is doing after class, she doesn't have a ring...

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Grem posted:

Sweet, two hot girls in my discussion group!

They're both closer to my daughter's age than mine.

You are the weird creepy old guy trying to hang out with college girls. Stop it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Lamprey Cannon posted:

You are the weird creepy old guy trying to hang out with college girls. Stop it.
But...hes not. Which is the entire point of his post.

How did you miss that?

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Cage posted:

But...hes not. Which is the entire point of his post.

How did you miss that?

If the first reaction to two girls who are 'closer to my daughter's age than mine' is "Wow! Super hot girls!", yes, that's a creepy reaction.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
A hot girl in college is a hot girl in college. Don't be weird.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

You have the story backwards, which is weird, because I put it in order. Maybe your brain is broken.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
????

You're old enough to be their father yet lamenting that they're romantically taken, and somehow the person that finds that creepy is the one in the wrong? Sorry dude, you are the old creepy guy. Stop that poo poo.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

Lamprey Cannon posted:

If the first reaction to two girls who are 'closer to my daughter's age than mine' is "Wow! Super hot girls!", yes, that's a creepy reaction.

Seriously? So people can only find others attractive if they're +/- 5-10 years of themselves? That's a very weird way to view the world.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
No time for a minor with all this major SJWing. :whatup:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Finding adult girls isn't creepy, guy. Pursuing them romantically probably would be. I don't want to hang out with younger girls or be involved with them in any way. Finding out they're out of my age range is something that happens after looking at them.

Also, I'm not old enough to be their father, and I don't know if they're romantically "taken", I've just reached the point in my life where the appropriate age range for me to date isn't "anyone of adult age", and am adjusting to it appropriately.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Surely those things you said couldn't have been said in jest, thats pretty creepy dude stop it.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Thinking adult women are attractive is creepy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Like, finding younger women attractive isn't creepy but posting about how you can't pursue them romantically because of their age is pretty creepy.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kazil posted:

Like, finding younger women attractive isn't creepy but posting about how you can't pursue them romantically because of their age is pretty creepy.
That's the definition of "not creepy". And its not what happened.

A joke is what happened.

Its you.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Old people chat: Every class has this: mostly normal college age adults, a few older people(older, being anywhere from 27-mid thirties), and one loving old guy(40+). There's a woman in one of my classes who's 84, and decided to go get her BA because she never finished it and what the gently caress, she's retired, so why not? It's a little awkard that they're around a group of people that are young enough to be their children, but it's not like it's a problem.

However, the creepiness of an older student hitting on a college age student is directly proportional to how old that student is. Later twenties hitting on some chick? Um, okay. 40-year old hitting on a chick? That's loving creepy.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

But their hair smells so great, you know?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
If your balls didn't wither and drop off at midnight on your 40th birthday then you are a creepy rapist and my skin is crawling off at the merest prospect of your existence.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Goons are the loving worst. Grem you are not creepy.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
probably could have done without mentioning "my daughter" and "hot girls" in back to back sentences, fwiw

content: man is it annoying how loving useless my peers are sometimes. last semester I got a B+ instead of an A in this class where you design your own website because i had the GALL to ask somebody to do their portion of the work. when I checked their progress on their part of the project they did almost nothing to finish it so I had to mad rush get as much done as I could. I was 1.2% away from an A you dick :mad:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I had a professor once say that she was completely unsympathetic towards groups that had leeches, free-riders, or non-contributors because "in business, you will be forced to work with groups you don't choose and people you don't like".

I wanted to tell her that "hopefully wherever I work will have higher hiring standards and I won't be forced to work with people as crappy as this", and that has been 100% true post-graduation.

Maybe I should send an email.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Back on topic

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The textbook industry is a goddamn racket.

Fun fact: Textbook prices have risen at 2-4 times the rate of inflation every year for the past 35 years! Hooray for profit education system!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

canyoneer posted:

I had a professor once say that she was completely unsympathetic towards groups that had leeches, free-riders, or non-contributors because "in business, you will be forced to work with groups you don't choose and people you don't like".

I wanted to tell her that "hopefully wherever I work will have higher hiring standards and I won't be forced to work with people as crappy as this", and that has been 100% true post-graduation.

Honestly, I feel like you both have pretty good points there.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
My masters program required a few overpriced texts that are nearly useless. I was not surprised by this in the least. What did surprise me was that one of the books is an exact copy of the other, yet is somehow more pages and a completely different binding and title. I thnk the additional number of pages has something to do with the index and contents.

Anyway, as a former young college girl, the only time older guys getting friendly with you in class isn't creepy is when they are still hot. Problem is, most older guys can't self assess when they aren't hot anymore.

Edit: I just realized that pretty much applies to all people in general.

Bast Relief has a new favorite as of 06:19 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
why aren't there laws or something protecting the interests of the students or whatever. it feels like i'm burning money every time the next semester's bill is ready to be paid with all the extra course fees and textbooks on top of my tuition

• Locked thread