Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i am using some random numbers patch i found on serensforest in the same thread as the improved translation patch which looking at the documentation seems to make her much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mvp

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Sweet christ, Thany hit that 30% growth an awful lot. :stare: I wished mine turned out that well even half the time.

E: +3 HP, +4.5 Strength, -2 Skill, +1 Def, +1.5 Res

E2: If the patch nerfed her base speed by 2, she's also +2 Speed

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
can i have a link to this patch please, i want a Shanna that isn't garbage too

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

all it does for her is nerf her base speed by 2, lol

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's here though, in the first post:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41095&p=2457854

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

thank you, I at least appreciate having a less poo poo translation for 6 :)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Artix posted:

E2: If the patch nerfed her base speed by 2, she's also +2 Speed

nah cause she'll hit the cap before promotion either way

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Thany is already the best peg knight tho

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yesss

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Wait is it Thany or Shanna, I don't know what to believe

jesus christ

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

this is hosed

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Looper posted:

Wait is it Thany or Shanna, I don't know what to believe

Officially (as of Awakening) it's Shanna, but it was Thany for years because FE6 was never translated.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

How Rude posted:

Sophia is quite possibly the worst unit in Fire Emblem history. At least Fiona is useful due to her good growths if you bother to grind her forever, Sophia is just a straight liability in every instance she is deployed and made redundant by Ray and Niime existing.

She's not nearly that bad. I used her on hard mode and she turned out fine and didn't make anything too difficult.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Artix posted:

Officially (as of Awakening) it's Shanna, but it was Thany for years because FE6 was never translated.

There are a lot of really bad translated names for legacy characters in Awakening and they really shouldn't be considered 'canon' any more than the now deprecated names used in Smash Bros.

"Thany" is total nonsense but so is "Shanna" so it's not like I have a dog in this fight.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
At least Thany's fan name isn't based on a literal translation error like her sister's name is.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Marth, the Roman god of war.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

At least Thany's fan name isn't based on a literal translation error like her sister's name is.

What is it? I don't recall.

I believed in you sophia :unsmith:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Anatharon posted:

"Tate" is totally wrong and apparently should be something along the lines of "Thito".

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tate is a name though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Artix posted:

"Tate" is totally wrong and apparently should be something along the lines of "Thito".

Cake Attack posted:

tate is a name though

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Manatee Cannon posted:

She's not nearly that bad. I used her on hard mode and she turned out fine and didn't make anything too difficult.
Yeah, Sophia is usable once she gets trained up and promoted. It's the "once she gets trained up" part that's a pain, although you can cheese it with Supports+Arena Abuse.

Now Wendy is almost impossible to train even with Supports+Arena Abuse, although I did somehow get her trained up in a Bors/Barth/Wendy run I did.

Anatharon posted:

Thite (ティト Tito), and "Tate" in the fan translation.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 26, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm ok with translations taking utter nonsense gibberish and replacing them with real names.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How Rude posted:

Sophia is quite possibly the worst unit in Fire Emblem history. At least Fiona is useful due to her good growths if you bother to grind her forever, Sophia is just a straight liability in every instance she is deployed and made redundant by Ray and Niime existing.

uh excuse me i think you'll find that cecilia is worse

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've never played FE6 but Thany sounds cooler than Shanna even if Shanna is a real name. Not a bid deal though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dr Pepper posted:

uh excuse me i think you'll find that cecilia is worse

Cecilia has a horse and can use Physic staves out of the gate. That alone makes her better than Sophia and quite a few other of the "worst FE character ever" candidates.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah I basically left Thito as Tate even though it's wrong because.... Tate is a name. I mean Tito is also a name but it's a males name. EDIT: Apparently Tate is also a boys name...

Thany is actually way more correct than Shanna as well, It's more like... Shany But that's also not a name.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Onmi posted:

Thany is actually way more correct than Shanna as well, It's more like... Shany But that's also not a name.
Chaney, maybe?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Speaking of weird names, it's finally dawned on me that they left Caeda's name as Shiida in Awakening's spotpass team... at least in the EU version. This would be less weird if Shadow Dragon had not called her Caeda.

Also Caeda is meant to be pronounced Sheeda still, but gently caress that I pronounce it Kay-da because if they didn't want me to use the A sound they shouldn't have put an A in there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nihilarian posted:

I've never played FE6 but Thany sounds cooler than Shanna even if Shanna is a real name. Not a bid deal though.

edit: misread what you said.

but yeah, Shanna is a real name, found in Celtic and Hebrew.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Marth, the Roman god of war.

This one gets my goat to this day. They translated it correctly when they released the anime but not when they released the games, and then just stuck with it. God drat.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 26, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Onmi posted:

I don't suppose Shania Twain is popular in Japan?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nihilarian posted:

I don't suppose Shania Twain is popular in Japan?

After finding out that David and Heboba from Shining Force 3 are direct references to a musical group from the 70s (complete with a faithful reproduction of the original David's hairstyle), I wouldn't be surprised.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm ok with translations taking utter nonsense gibberish and replacing them with real names.

I don't really have a problem with localizations/translations changing names to be real but that's not what happened here. What happened here is that ティト and テイト look almost identical in FE6's font and the translators just plain screwed up on which one her name is. Tate, Thite, and Tito are all lovely names though so I hope if FE6 ever gets remade and properly localized she just gets the Cordelia treatment and has her name changed to something completely unrelated.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Your name sense is backwards and frankly kind of strange

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lotish posted:

After finding out that David and Heboba from Shining Force 3 are direct references to a musical group from the 70s (complete with a faithful reproduction of the original David's hairstyle), I wouldn't be surprised.
Why don't old Japanese rockers show up in western video games for no reason?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Changing Tiamat to Titania was a god drat tragedy.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
i hope they rename everyone in FE14 just to spite people who complain about localized names

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SC Bracer posted:

i hope they rename everyone in FE14 just to spite people who complain about localized names

Isn't that already what happened with Awakening?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SC Bracer posted:

localized/changed names are fine but the ran'dom apostro'phes in fe'13 were we'ird

ive got no problem with localization, it's bad localization that irks me.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im just glad that localization have come to the point where all there's left to criticize in some cases is silly apostrophes