Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wickerman posted:

Chase Bank, if you're trying to deposit money into an account that your name isn't on (not a joke).

Actually, that's a good point, and something that's always confused me. Why do I have to show ID to make a deposit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

nickutz posted:

Its federal law that banks have to follow, combination of the bank secrecy act from the 70s and the patriot act.

I get that you have to file a report for deposits over 10k, but it sounds like there was allowed discretion for the suspicious activity one. That's what I'm curious about.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I get that you have to file a report for deposits over 10k, but it sounds like there was allowed discretion for the suspicious activity one. That's what I'm curious about.

Any questions beyond what wikipedia says? Because it's pretty detailed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspicious_activity_report

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Aliquid posted:

Actually, that's a good point, and something that's always confused me. Why do I have to show ID to make a deposit?

To protect against money laundering and/or tax evasion, I imagine. "Oh, I don't know where that cash came from. It wasn't me that deposited, I swear!"

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
A doctor's office would almost always take a couple hundred bucks for copays or visit charges but definitely ask if you're like paying for a surgery or something in cash

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

A doctor's office would almost always take a couple hundred bucks for copays or visit charges but definitely ask if you're like paying for a surgery or something in cash

They can ask all they want, and then you can say "and I withdrew savings in cash so we can both save money on this transaction." What are they going to do, call the bank and ask how to fill out a SAR?

I worked with a pharmacist who got into a bicycle accident and had to have a lot of work done on her teeth. She paid cash up front and filed a claim with her insurance for reimbursement because it was cheaper for her and the dentist. Some people do legitimately have several thousand dollars for such things.

E: good points about the office storing the actual cash below

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 25, 2015

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

NancyPants posted:

They can ask all they want, and then you can say "and I withdrew savings in cash so we can both save money on this transaction." What are they going to do, call the bank and ask how to fill out a SAR?

I worked with a pharmacist who got into a bicycle accident and had to have a lot of work done on her teeth. She paid cash up front and filed a claim with her insurance for reimbursement because it was cheaper for her and the dentist. Some people do legitimately have several thousand dollars for such things.

BEHOLD is telling you to ask the doctor's office in advance about rolling up with a stack of bills. Frequently when people say they paid cash up front, they are actually referring to writing a check. From a practical standpoint, does the little old lady receptionist want to have $20,000 on her person?

Aside from making a bank run (which they do anyway) depositing checks doesn't cost them anything.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

NancyPants posted:

Agreed, but at least warning them you're coming in with a huge stack of cash is probably courteous.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

Some people do legitimately have several thousand dollars for such things.

Bad with money, that's several thousand dollars that could have gone into building more truck equity

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

NancyPants posted:

E: good points about the office storing the actual cash below

A doctor's office receptionist or some accounts receivable clerk does not want to sit there with thousands of dollars cash in a drawer for the exact same reasons the original poster didn't want to have $17k sitting around in his/her house

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Doctors already have a ton of other attractive things including cocaine, speed, and opiates of all kinds. A few thousand is unlikely to be make-or-break. Call ahead, but especially if it's closer to $5k than $20k, it'll probably be fine.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Anne Whateley posted:

Doctors already have a ton of other attractive things including cocaine, speed, and opiates of all kinds. A few thousand is unlikely to be make-or-break. Call ahead, but especially if it's closer to $5k than $20k, it'll probably be fine.

Uhh... pizza delivery men get robbed (and killed) over less than a hundred bucks. Don't be a jerk and just call ahead so they can prepare for a special deposit or something to reduce their vulnerability. It's the nice thing to do.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Anne Whateley posted:

Doctors already have a ton of other attractive things including cocaine, speed, and opiates of all kinds.

...what the hell? I'm not aware of many doctors that house that stuff.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

balancedbias posted:

They might have a trial dosage of some stuff, but I doubt it includes schedule 2 narcotics.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

balancedbias posted:

Maybe not the doctors you know. :smug:

But really, doctor's offices might have expensive stuff around, but it's generally more "expensive equipment" and less "narcotics." It's full-on pharmacies that get the people robbing them for the drugs.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Haifisch posted:

Maybe not the doctors you know. :smug:

But really, doctor's offices might have expensive stuff around, but it's generally more "expensive equipment" and less "narcotics." It's full-on pharmacies that get the people robbing them for the drugs.

Well, he's the one they call Dr. Feelgood.

That said, I gotta throw my sister into 'bad with money'. She got to live here rent free, free food and everything. Instead of getting her dental work taken care of, saving for her own car (dad ended up getting one for her to get her out of his hair) and so on, she instead chooses to go to anime conventions, gets two+ full sized book shelves worth of manga and anime stuff, commissions artwork, blah, blah blah. Then she complains about her teeth and everything. :| And she ended up neglecting the place so badly that I don't think I am ever going to get it entirely clean short of ripping up the carpet and replacing it.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe in having something fun to do or to relieve stress because you WILL go nuts if you don't have a hobby or fun activity of some sort but...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

MJBuddy posted:

They might have a trial dosage of some stuff, but I doubt it includes schedule 2 narcotics.
I'm assuming you pay at the place where the procedure is happening, so if you're getting a nose job there's cocaine, if you're getting your teeth fixed or LASIK there's Xanax, etc. And there are prescription pads at any office. So since doctors' offices don't get held up for any of that, I don't think a couple thousand bucks will do it. But sure, call ahead to check.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Aerofallosov posted:

And she ended up neglecting the place so badly that I don't think I am ever going to get it entirely clean short of ripping up the carpet and replacing it.

Did she pee on the floor or something?

e: Wait, I got it, anime = fursuit = living like a cat

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Weatherman posted:

Did she pee on the floor or something?

e: Wait, I got it, anime = fursuit = living like a cat

It's not pee~

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Reddit is starting 2015 out right.
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2toxam/best_buy_credit_card_2000_debt/

quote:

So, over Christmas break I went into a Best Buy to get my mom a chrome cast for her TV for Christmas. At the purchase lane, I was asked If I wanted to set up a Best Buy rewards account. I politely declined, but after the cashier said "Are you sure?...You would save 30% (or some appealing percentage that escapes me now) on your purchase today". So i figured "What the hell, there's no harm in that". So i began entering in my credentials, annual income, address and whatnot. After a few minutes, I start to question how long this is taking and how much info I'm having to enter in multiple times. I was asked to enter my SSN into the keypad and knew something was up. Soon the manager came out and the cashier was grinning at me. I was asked to verify my birth date and the last digits of my SSN again. I was then informed that I had won $2,000 in store credit.
I was in disbelief. I, having just turned 18 a couple of months before Christmas, had never had much financial experience and didn't know what to do with the money. The cashier seemed to be genuinely happy for me and she asked if I wanted to "go back into the store and buy anything else" she also told me "not to go spending all that money too quickly". I just left with what I had bought, and cried out of happiness on the drive home, avoiding going back into the store and making impulse purchases.
So when I got home, I read the terms pamphlet that I was handed when I was informed of my "luck". It seemed to be as good as I was told it was. I tried to double check everything; even the circled "Available Store Credit: $2,000" that the cashier had written on my chrome cast receipt. After making sure I wouldn't have to pay any of it back, I went back to the store a day or two later and picked out a few items in elation. Before purchasing, I spoke to the manager and even asked multiple employees walking around and asked If I would have to pay anything back, ever, ensuring that I would be debt-free.
So over the course of about a month, I spent all $2,000 on a TV, Ipad, PS4/games for my college roomates, and various Christmas present surprises for my friends back home and at college. I was extra careful to make sure I didn't spend a penny more than the $2,000 and I didn't and I was also careful to keep every receipt and the card terms.
During the time of all of these purchases, except the PS4/games, I did not have a physical card and was making these purchases by having the cashier look up my account info via me entering credentials and locating my account. When my card came in the mail, nearly a month later, I activated it and looked at my account.
I was confused to see that I had a payment due that equated to $2,024 with 27% interest. I didn't know what to do. I'm a college student already struggling to make ends meet financially and I don't know what to do with this exponentially growing problem. I can't deal with this stress in my life right now. I've already dealt with suicide attempts/depression due to the death of a girlfriend and best friend and I don't know how I'm going to get past this. I just don't understand the legality of what they're doing and I don't know where to turn and I don't think I can get legal help to battle this, because I don't know if they technically did anything illegal. They just abused the ignorance of a kid and mislead them. I just don't know how to deal with this and I really need help. I don't want to have to struggle any more with loans and I can't ask my friends to return gifts that I gave them. How can people be so cruel? Cheating people during Christmas I just don't get it. Best Buy is a vile company.
Any guidance/help is appreciated more than you will ever know. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
TL;DR: Manipulated by Best Buy into a hole of $2,000 in debt and don't know where to turn.
EDIT 1 - 1am, 1/26/15: I realize that I made a foolish mistake and am not saying that my ignornance of what was going on was dismissable but I still stand by my conviction that what was done was cruel on Best Buy's part.
I'm flooded with work/papers for school but I plan to contact Best Buy tommorow and hopefully sort this out over the phone and will keep you updated. Unfortunately the 30-day return policy has passed for most items, but all items that are returnable at this point I plan to return. Thanks again for all the advice so far.

Emphasis mine. Guy thought he hit the lottery when he applied for a store credit card. Goes on $2k spending spree buying stuff for other people, and whoopsie, you have to pay that back!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I...I don't understand. Did he think that "winning" $2000 in store credit was like getting a $2000 gift card? I honestly can't comprehend this.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My first thought when I see the phrase "store credit" is actual money to spend at the store, that is, what you'd get if you return something but aren't eligible to get cash for it back, instead you use "store credit" to buy other stuff from them. They definitely played him but yeah, presumably something would smell fishy when someone says "here's $2000 for nothing".

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Reddit is starting 2015 out right.
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2toxam/best_buy_credit_card_2000_debt/

Emphasis mine. Guy thought he hit the lottery when he applied for a store credit card. Goes on $2k spending spree buying stuff for other people, and whoopsie, you have to pay that back!

Unless he is being very miss-leading, he thought he was applying for a points card, not a credit card. And as some promotion, won a 2k gift card for the store.

If I return something, and ask/get store credit for it, they aren't opening up a line of credit in that amount for me. Either the guy really is an idiot (likely), or That Best Buy was doing shady things (also not unlikely), or a bit of both.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Golluk posted:

Unless he is being very miss-leading, he thought he was applying for a points card, not a credit card. And as some promotion, won a 2k gift card for the store.

If I return something, and ask/get store credit for it, they aren't opening up a line of credit in that amount for me. Either the guy really is an idiot (likely), or That Best Buy was doing shady things (also not unlikely), or a bit of both.

Most likely both, though I'm leaning more towards column A for not knowing how credit cards work.

e: and punching in his SSN into a keypad twice without knowing exactly why.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 26, 2015

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I've actually had Best Buy try and pull that with me. They make it sound like a points card, and when you sign up you get a free discount on the current purchase, so of course I said yes to signing up. Fortunately, as soon as I noted that they were asking for more than my name and address (all you really need for a points card) and were asking about salary, SSN, etc. I realised it was a credit card and aborted the sign-up. Other big box stores do this kind of thing as well. I still remember the Target credit card with $95 of charges already on it that appeared in the mail one day because my wife hadn't been paying enough attention when shopping for bras, and accidentally signed up for a card. The entire reason they offer that discount is because they know it helps self-select for the ignorant people that will end up carry a high balance and paying interest on a credit card.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The Best Buy credit card has 3 years of no interest financing (at like...27% APR if you don't pay it off in time) on home theater systems.

I never bothered calculating how much money that ends up being because I'm afraid to.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Renegret posted:

The Best Buy credit card has 3 years of no interest financing (at like...27% APR if you don't pay it off in time) on home theater systems.

I never bothered calculating how much money that ends up being because I'm afraid to.

It would bring a $500 home theatre system to $1100~

$5000 to $11100~ (my god, can you imagine? Some sap is probably doing this for the Super Bowl right now. He'll have an unhappy Super Bowl XLXII)

Now I see how Best Buy is still in business. They make up the lack of profit margin in their product by charging insane interest rates to idiots.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 26, 2015

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I sort of feel bad for the guy. Honestly no one really warns young people about how shady most companies are about trying to pawn off store credit cards.

I honestly don't understand how he thinks he won the lottery or something though. If you get a store card you get a pretty massive terms and conditions print off.

I recently purposely signed up for a Nordstrom points Visa (it's an odd situation but worth it due to very specific circumstances) and the whole process for me to get 10 grand of credit only took about 3 minutes. Seriously. I was able to shop immediately with my credit. It's kind of creepy. I only had to give my SSN once and only had to sign 1 single register chit.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

It would bring a $500 home theatre system to $1100~

$5000 to $11100~ (my god, can you imagine? Some sap is probably doing this for the Super Bowl right now. He'll have an unhappy Super Bowl XLXII)

Now I see how Best Buy is still in business. They make up the lack of profit margin in their product by charging insane interest rates to idiots.

Best Buy has long been a warranty and credit card company that happens to sell electronics.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wow, just wow. That's a pretty brilliant way to nab naive people just old enough to get a credit card. I mean, Best Buy probably lost far more than 2k in future sales by screwing over an 18 year old customer, but I doubt they're thinking long term these days anyway.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wow, just wow. That's a pretty brilliant way to nab naive people just old enough to get a credit card. I mean, Best Buy probably lost far more than 2k in future sales by screwing over an 18 year old customer, but I doubt they're thinking long term these days anyway.

Who cares about future sales when there's a credit card goal and budgets to meet today?

- Every large business ever

I only owned 2 store credit cards in my life. I signed up for a JC Penny card because I was buying a gift several years ago and they offered to take a flat 15% (or 25% I don't remember to be honest) off the bill for signing up for the card. I signed up, went home, paid it off, then shredded the card when it arrived in the mail. It's probably not active anymore.

The other card is a Kohl's card because they mailed me coupons for having it opened. I'd use the coupons, then pay for the clothes on my AmEx for the points. Pretty sure that one's not active anymore either since they stopped sending me coupons.

e: Individual Best Buy stores don't give two shits about future sales. They have their sales goals for that day, which includes a certain amount of revenue in each department, and a certain amount of revenue from different departments and services. It also includes a flat number of credit cards they have to sign up. Miss your numbers too often, you don't have a job anymore. The numbers, of course, aim high and are largely unreachable on a consistent basis which pressures the sales people to act scummy if they want to work more than 12 hours a week. It's a lovely position to be in.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 26, 2015

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I've actually had Best Buy try and pull that with me. They make it sound like a points card, and when you sign up you get a free discount on the current purchase, so of course I said yes to signing up.
Department stores and large retailers do this quite often. I've had the exact same experience with Hudson's Bay Company and Loblaws (a Canadian grocer). They approach you talking about points, points, points. One of their reps even told me "Oh no. This isn't a credit card! :)"

Then you look at the form they want you to fill out, and 'lo and behold- it's a credit card application. It's deceptive, and probably illegal, but it doesn't stop them from trying to hoodwink customers to meet their credit card acquisition targets.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Yeah in a comment he says he doesn't really have any annual income so the sales associate told him to just enter 25k. Sounds like they were doing some seriously shady stuff.

Is it just me, or does 2k seem like a lot of credit to offer an 18 year old, presumably with no credit history, on an assumed 25k salary?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
We are terrible with store cards. My wife gets a Kohls 30% or Mary's 20% coupon and wow, look at the bargains!!! I believe I've finally gotten through to her that 30% off debt that charges 27% interest is not a deal. The plan is to finish paying off the last store card this spring and henceforth use with coupons/store cards only what we can immediately pay off with cash. We'll see how that goes. I'm going to guess not great, but marginally better than before at least.

Scenty posted:

Is it just me, or does 2k seem like a lot of credit to offer an 18 year old, presumably with no credit history, on an assumed 25k salary?

There's an algorithm somewhere that says how much the parents of a college student will pay to fix their kids' lovely purchasing decisions. I'm pretty sure it's whatever 2k is after a year at 27% interest and late charges.

heyniceperro
Mar 22, 2007

You're the one for me, fatty.

Scenty posted:

Yeah in a comment he says he doesn't really have any annual income so the sales associate told him to just enter 25k. Sounds like they were doing some seriously shady stuff.

Back in 2009, fresh out of college and making 60k as an engineer, I could only get approved for a $500 line of credit at boa.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Scenty posted:

I have no problem beleiving the manager lied to the customer telling them that it was a gift card that they won with a balance of 2K in credit. When I worked in retail, I've seen much worse.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Scenty posted:

Since it's not aligned with any of the major credit card companies, they tend to get much more generous credit limits. Which makes it really impressive when a customer isn't approved for the credit card, considering we just saw some kid fresh out of school with no job get a 2k line of credit.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I think it might be funnier with the fact that if he wanted a best buy credit card, he used the 30% off on a chromecast.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Even if someone gave me $2000 I wouldn't spend it on a PS4 for my college roommates, good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

xie posted:

Even if someone gave me $2000 I wouldn't spend it on a PS4 for my college roommates, good lord.

Totally. If they are really so hard up for cash and really did win a $2000 prepaid card, they would have done better selling the cards for less than face value and using the the money on rent or something. Jesus.

• Locked thread