Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Having had a rather unpleasant experience, allow me to ask a pair of questions:

When did they change the barrage weapon firing direction rules to "from the center of the marker" and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Wait it was the guy running the tournament that was playing in it? That's not cool. In fact that's like just normal tournament etiquette to not play in the tournament you run.

edit:

Somebody got a email from GW with a picture of 3 Tomb Blades being 58 points. So looks like they got some sort of price reduction maybe and a 1 out of 3 upgrade option.

Hopefully the squad size increased.

Yeah, he was. He was also the dude who put out a big list of superheavies/structures that were banned.. that conveniently didn't include the Lynx but do include void SHild generators, that're about the opnly thing that CAN stop a ranged S-D shot.

Hixson posted:

You're doing a pretty good job at convincing me to buy a Lynx

The Lynx is obscenely, ridiculously, punch-you-in-the-face-for-being-an-rear end in a top hat broken. For being a superheavy vehicle, it's barely twice the size of a Wave Serpent and very flat, making it very easy to hide behind other tanks and/or terrain. And for 420 points, you get a main gun that shoots 2 SD AP1 large lasts out to 60". That you can pay another 10 points to twin-link with a scatter laser. It's 'only' AV11 with 6 hull points, but it also has eldar holofields which basically means as long as it moves at least a little on your turn, it gets an 'extra save' over any cover saves/etc that negate any hits it takes with a 1 or 2 on a d6. Oh, and if somebody gets TOO close to it, you can go MY CRAFTWORLD NEEDS ME and turn it into a flier for a turn to redeploy it somewhere way in the gently caress of nowhere. (It can't shoot the same turn but still). Oh, and it has an alternate primary weapon that shoots an AP2 18" torrent hellstorm template that autowounds on a 3+ and rolls 3d6 for armor penetration.

Basically whoever makes the Eldar superheavy rules at FW needs a couple of swift kicks in the reproductives.

ProfessorCurly posted:

Having had a rather unpleasant experience, allow me to ask a pair of questions:

When did they change the barrage weapon firing direction rules to "from the center of the marker" and why?

Since 5E at least, and to simulate the shell coming from straight up in a high ballistic arc?

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Drake_263 posted:

Since 5E at least, and to simulate the shell coming from straight up in a high ballistic arc?

I don't recall it being that way for wound allocation though. Why did they make indirect artillery more precise than sniper weapons for eliminating models/commanders?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Is the addition of a 'ard case worth losing a boarding plank if you're going to be charging out of a vehicle?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Drake_263 posted:

The Lynx is obscenely, ridiculously, punch-you-in-the-face-for-being-an-rear end in a top hat broken. For being a superheavy vehicle, it's barely twice the size of a Wave Serpent and very flat, making it very easy to hide behind other tanks and/or terrain. And for 420 points, you get a main gun that shoots 2 SD AP1 large lasts out to 60". That you can pay another 10 points to twin-link with a scatter laser. It's 'only' AV11 with 6 hull points, but it also has eldar holofields which basically means as long as it moves at least a little on your turn, it gets an 'extra save' over any cover saves/etc that negate any hits it takes with a 1 or 2 on a d6. Oh, and if somebody gets TOO close to it, you can go MY CRAFTWORLD NEEDS ME and turn it into a flier for a turn to redeploy it somewhere way in the gently caress of nowhere. (It can't shoot the same turn but still). Oh, and it has an alternate primary weapon that shoots an AP2 18" torrent hellstorm template that autowounds on a 3+ and rolls 3d6 for armor penetration.

Basically whoever makes the Eldar superheavy rules at FW needs a couple of swift kicks in the reproductives.

Just wait until someone uses the Scatter Laser to TL that Pulsar which they then fire at a seperate target because it's a Super Heavy and can technically do that. That'll make you want to punch someone in the face (I don't do this because I think it's bullshit).

If it helps any, keep in mind that both of it's weapons are hull-mounted and so only have a 45 degree field of fire (22.5 off the bow).

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Did he use any of the major event ban lists, or did he just make up his own? I know LVO allows the Lynx, but explicitly forbids the Sonic Lance. It sounds like he just picked what he liked, though, which is a dangerous and lovely path to go down.

One of our dudes ran a Lynx yesterday at our local event (which I operated, organizing and reffing rules) with three Wave Serpents and a Wraithknight - I was actually wondering if you were one of my players until I saw that the dude running it was playing.Thing is mean, but it has survived exactly one game in any tournament he has fielded it in. He doesn't gently caress around with it either - he always tries to make it Invisible and stick it behind an Aegis. Still sees it get torn apart like wet paper by a lot of lists, since AV 11 is awful and everything with S5 or higher immediately starts gunning for it. Flyers (and Necrons specifically) really have a field day, since they just get line of sight above the barricades and drill it. It also crumples to almost any assault really rapidly, though that's often him looking at the situation and deciding another turn of firing now is worth more than however many more later. Plus, maybe he can just kill the Dreadknight or Catacomb Barge and be safe! (That never works.)

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004
Where does it say the Lynx is AV 11/11/11 420 points other than Battlescribe? Was there a FAQ that changed it from AV 12/12/10 320 points that I just can't find or did they change it in a new edition of an IA book? I'm legitimately just curious as my friend and I are thinking about bringing superheavies into our games just to see how broken poo poo gets and every time the Lynx gets brought up it's always referred to as AV11, 400+ points.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Pacheeco posted:

Where does it say the Lynx is AV 11/11/11 420 points other than Battlescribe? Was there a FAQ that changed it from AV 12/12/10 320 points that I just can't find or did they change it in a new edition of an IA book? I'm legitimately just curious as my friend and I are thinking about bringing superheavies into our games just to see how broken poo poo gets and every time the Lynx gets brought up it's always referred to as AV11, 400+ points.
Imperial Armor : Apocalypse has the most recent version of the Lynx.

Which is newer, yeah - 2013 I think.

Von Humboldt fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 26, 2015

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Von Humboldt posted:

Imperial Armor : Apocalypse has the most recent version of the Lynx.

Thanks for clearing that up. I figured I had to have been missing something.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Speaking of Tomb Blades, I am assembling a box now for the new formation. What the gently caress do I take for weapons? I'm just going to have to see if telsa gets nerfed and run gauss if that happens yeah?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Killer_Bees! posted:

Speaking of Tomb Blades, I am assembling a box now for the new formation. What the gently caress do I take for weapons? I'm just going to have to see if telsa gets nerfed and run gauss if that happens yeah?

Rumours says tesla stays as tesla, except you cant tesla on snapshots like the SW version of it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah that kind of sounds like a rip off tournament, did you pay money to play in it or was it free entry.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
My local area does 1620, CAD + Allied Detachment OR 1 Formation of choice. How does this look:

quote:

Ethereal - 50pts

x6 Fire Warriors - 154pts
-Devilfish
-Disruption Pod, Sensor Spines

-Devilfish

-Devilfish

Sky Ray - 136pts
-Blacksun Filter, Sensor Spines
-Disruption Pod

Sky Ray - 136pts
-Blacksun Filter, Sensor Spines
-Disruption Pod

Hammerhead - 191
-Railgun
-Blacksun Filter, Disruption Pod
-Longstrike

Firebase Support Cadre

Riptide - 210pts
-Ion Accelerator, Fusion Blaster
-Early Warning Override
-Velocity Tracker

x3 Broadsides - 217pts
-Heavy Railrifle
-Shas'vre
-x1 Shield Drone

x3 Broadsides - 217pts
-Heavy Railrifle
-Shas'vre
-x1 Shield Drone

Total: 1619pts

EDIT: Those are all my broadsides/Riptide, I have essentially infinite tank chassis that I can swap between Fish/Hammerhead, but no more skyray turrets I remember. Also have tons of kroot, crisis suits, and assorted Tau bits. No sniper drones/vespid. 3 Pirahnas, looking to get some Tetras because they look neat. Also have 5 scratch-built Remoras and a Tigershark which is theoretically allowed.

ProfessorCurly fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 26, 2015

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that kind of sounds like a rip off tournament, did you pay money to play in it or was it free entry.

I didn't pay anything, a friend of mine donated a bunch of sprues from a Deathstorm box andf loot from a closed-down gamestore for prizes and provided the terrain so our group got in free. I don't know how much the entry free was for other players, if any. I ended up winning Best Painted and about fifty bucks worth of paints, so I can't really complain - the whole lynx thing just left a bad taste in my mouth, is all. It's apparently the first time this guy was organizing a tournament and it showed - the dude who was supposed to have the keys for the place they'd rented was half an hour late, there was confusion over tables and pairings, stuff like that. That said, I did have fun, other than getting myself a new mudhole stomped by the Lynx. Apparently he'd been honing that particular list for ages, and it showed - he won with 57 points out of 60. (Way I figure the scoring worked so that each match was worth 20 points total - we played with tactical objectives, on a draw each player would get 10 match points, and every VP you got over your opponent 'stole' one of your opponents' points - so if you ended up winning, say, 5-4, you'd get 11 and he'd get 9, and 5-3 would get you 12 points and get him 8, and so on - a Massacre victory was worth full 20 points)

Oh, and turns out that he's looking to trade his Eldar away for IG now - my friend and I are kind of tmepted to pull in some of our IG for an army trade, if nothing for the reason to make sure we don't end up seeing the loving thing on the other side of the table anymore.

Dude at least had fairly well-painted Eldar, too, they were all white with these red radial starburst patterns, kind of like the old Japanese flag. I'd have been even saltier if they'd been all bare plastic and resin.

Edit: I just realized that the missions we played with were taco missions 1, 3 and 6 - two diagonal deployments and one long table deployment. Of course all of these favor the Lynx with its giant fuckoff range strength-D blast gun.. Coincidence?

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 26, 2015

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
He shouldn't have played in the first place. At best, it cuts into time he should be using to solve rules disputes, sort out scoring (and that system sounds sort of awful, from the points to the Maelstrom,) handle pairings, all of that stuff. He'd have to, I imagine, constantly duck away from his own game to handle issues elsewhere. I mean, I've brought in an army before to play anyone who got a bye for fun and had to abandon even that. Sure, we're just killing time, but I had to leave the table every five minutes to handle a rule or do a walk round the table and I felt lovely playing stop and go with my opponent. Now we just bring in cards because you can play a hand of Magic or Rum or whatever and not worry about finishing a full game, and being left in the lurch just means a hand takes a little longer instead of cutting almost a full half hour from a game at least just handling issues.

At worst, it is a clear conflict of interest - if there is an argument about the rules during his game, he would have the final word. For instance, if there is an argument about how to handle D Strength Blasts, who is to say he doesn't pick the side that favors him the most? He might be the best guy in the world, but people will look at that deployment (did he pick it or roll it, because it's a little unusual to have two Vanguard, since everyone hates that poo poo,) with askance. Eldar are great at pure Maelstrom with Tactical Objectives - was that intentional? Once again, he could be a saint, but it just looks unprofessional and doesn't work.

ps. gently caress vanguard

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Von Humboldt posted:

ps. gently caress vanguard

And hammer & anvil.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Next week on "As the 40k Turns":

Hixson shows up with a bullshitty Lynx for his Eldar, still gets double-teamed and tabled on turn 2.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I'm willing to cut the guy the benefit of doubt - we were low on players after my friend had to duck out and it was his first time organizing - but yeah, I don't think he should've been playing either, or if he was he shouldn't have been playing a goddamned Lynx in an environment that clearly favors the loving thing. For the first match, we had one of my friends (who -wasn't playing, and who's known as the local tournament nut) running as the judge, but he had to leave before the second match - I was too focused on my second game to see if Mr. Eldar was doing any rules clarifications, I'll be honest.

And yes, Vanguard is the reason I play drop pods. A foot more of empty space will not save you from STEEL REHN, heretic. :flame:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

ProfessorCurly posted:

1. When 6th Edition dropped, although a handful of the specifics changed again with 7E.

2. FORGE A NARRATIVE

Drake_263 posted:

The Lynx is obscenely, ridiculously, punch-you-in-the-face-for-being-an-rear end in a top hat broken. For being a superheavy vehicle, it's barely twice the size of a Wave Serpent and very flat, making it very easy to hide behind other tanks and/or terrain. And for 420 points, you get a main gun that shoots 2 SD AP1 large lasts out to 60". That you can pay another 10 points to twin-link with a scatter laser. It's 'only' AV11 with 6 hull points, but it also has eldar holofields which basically means as long as it moves at least a little on your turn, it gets an 'extra save' over any cover saves/etc that negate any hits it takes with a 1 or 2 on a d6.

Eh. I think the Lynx is definitely strong, but it's not amazingly strong against armies that have the ability to bring good AT firepower. It's significantly easier to kill than a Knight- same HP, but AV11 (rather than AV13/12), is vulnerable to assault, and its 4+ supersaveis about as good as the 4+ invulnerable Knights get. Sometimes you can stack it with a regular cover/invuln save, sure, but that's actually trickier than you might think- the low profile of the Lynx means it's very easy for its gun to be completely obscured by a terrain piece that would give it a cover save.

Also, a lot of people have been saying that the Pulsar is AP1, which is incorrect; it's AP2. Matters a lot when you're shooting vehicles, which is the usual job of that thing. It's obviously still a strong shooter, but with the way Str D works now (allowing cover saves most of the time) it's not nearly as intimidating as it was last edition.

Von Humboldt posted:

Did he use any of the major event ban lists, or did he just make up his own? I know LVO allows the Lynx, but explicitly forbids the Sonic Lance. It sounds like he just picked what he liked, though, which is a dangerous and lovely path to go down.

One of our dudes ran a Lynx yesterday at our local event (which I operated, organizing and reffing rules) with three Wave Serpents and a Wraithknight - I was actually wondering if you were one of my players until I saw that the dude running it was playing.Thing is mean, but it has survived exactly one game in any tournament he has fielded it in. He doesn't gently caress around with it either - he always tries to make it Invisible and stick it behind an Aegis. Still sees it get torn apart like wet paper by a lot of lists, since AV 11 is awful and everything with S5 or higher immediately starts gunning for it.

The dude was using the Pulsar version, not the Sonic Lance one.

And yeah, that's basically what I see with the Lynx as well. It's annoying, and a quite strong unit to face in a pickup game, but it's not "ruin all tournaments forever opponents ragequit" good. AV11 is just too low for it to really survive for long most of the time, and since it's a Lord of War it's gonna give up those two VPs for killing it and likely tip the mission in the other player's favor.

ProfessorCurly posted:

My local area does 1620, CAD + Allied Detachment OR 1 Formation of choice. How does this look:
*deletia*

Most everything in that list looks pretty good, with the exception of those Broadside units. If at all possible, they should be running with High-Yield Missiles, which are amazingly good. They also should have Early Warning Overrides, which are also really good. And they should not have Shield Drones, because Shield Drones kinda suck- it's a great way to run off the board after taking a single casualty. Two Missile Drones (to bring them to five guys, so that morale checks are less likely) can be very helpful, but otherwise I wouldn't bother with Drones. The Velocity Tracker on your Riptide isn't strictly necessary, since you have two Skyrays already, but if you're expecting to see a lot of flyers it can still be useful. I personally don't bother with Disruption Pods on my Skyrays- if they wanna shoot their guns at an AV13 unit that only has two Markerlights on it, let 'em. Oh, and I'm assuming you have Smart Missiles on the Skyrays/Hammerhead, because that's a given.

If you wanted to trade out the Hammerhead, which is arguably the weakest inclusion, some Piranhas might be handy. I like 'em either with Fusion or Burst (and a single Sensor Spine in the unit), but admittedly that's because I like Piranhas too much. If not, at least give Longstrike his Submunition rounds.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

Also, a lot of people have been saying that the Pulsar is AP1, which is incorrect; it's AP2. Matters a lot when you're shooting vehicles, which is the usual job of that thing. It's obviously still a strong shooter, but with the way Str D works now (allowing cover saves most of the time) it's not nearly as intimidating as it was last edition.

Yeaaaahhhhh, he told me the Pulsar was AP1. So that Knight of mine should've just taken 1 HP instead of 3 on his first hit.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

Most everything in that list looks pretty good, with the exception of those Broadside units. If at all possible, they should be running with High-Yield Missiles, which are amazingly good.

That's the rub isn't it. Unfortunately 4 of my broadsides are the old pewters and the last 2 I use as Shas'vre are some scratchbuilt ones I converted to carry some cut down Ion Cannons I had laying about. I don't know how I'd get them to be Missile Pods besides maybe breaking them apart and trying to magnetize them. I take it the heavy rail rifles aren't typically as useful as I imagine?

AbusePuppy posted:

They also should have Early Warning Overrides, which are also really good. And they should not have Shield Drones, because Shield Drones kinda suck- it's a great way to run off the board after taking a single casualty. Two Missile Drones (to bring them to five guys, so that morale checks are less likely) can be very helpful, but otherwise I wouldn't bother with Drones. The Velocity Tracker on your Riptide isn't strictly necessary, since you have two Skyrays already, but if you're expecting to see a lot of flyers it can still be useful. I personally don't bother with Disruption Pods on my Skyrays- if they wanna shoot their guns at an AV13 unit that only has two Markerlights on it, let 'em. Oh, and I'm assuming you have Smart Missiles on the Skyrays/Hammerhead, because that's a given.

If you wanted to trade out the Hammerhead, which is arguably the weakest inclusion, some Piranhas might be handy. I like 'em either with Fusion or Burst (and a single Sensor Spine in the unit), but admittedly that's because I like Piranhas too much. If not, at least give Longstrike his Submunition rounds.

I could drop the Velocity Tracker and Disruption Pods to get Early Warning Overrides on the Broadsides. I also like Longstrike for being able to somewhat reliably and independently strike heavy armor from a distance. Dropping him for Piranhas is an idea, and would also let me give the Fire Warriors EMP grenades which could be useful.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sulecrist posted:

Bulbasaur, if you can, drop into IRC today. I'd like to talk about Horus Heresy...

I'll try to hop on later tonight, but will be on tomorrow for sure. Feel free to shoot me a PM on here.

panascope posted:

I'm always excited for a new book. I'm probably going to start taking Zandrek more often, being able to access a different warlord trait every turn sounds pretty loving rad, especially with card-based missions. Reanimation Protocols are almost functionally the same, the main differences being they can save me from morale checks (because units aren't falling over), but also expose more models to blast markers (since they don't currently count models laying down). Lychguard/Praetorian cost changes are cool, Lychguard will still be hard to deliver I imagine so I'm not sure how much use they'll be, but Praetorians are the poo poo at ~20 points a model. S/T5 jump infantry with AP1 weapons are real neat. This is the second-biggest codex they've released in the past 2 editions, they have to have some good stuff in there. I'm actually kind of worried that since there's so many formations included that the playtesting won't be thorough and they'll miss some obviously good must-take.

That's good to know, dude, you have the biggest necron army I know of. Necrons are also, in my mind, the most Panascope of all armies. Being forced to choose a WWB over a FNP and nerfed fliers make it less awesome, but if you gained a bunch of good options over those two things its totes worth it.

I still think the formations are getting out of control though. Its way too much record keeping. Just wait until Forgeworld jumps into it with a 'build your own' formation in an upcoming book. The butthurt and confusion is going to be serious.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Took 1750 points of mechanized space marines vs a list of mostly Big Bugs.

My bad list:

Commander w/ burning blade
Command squad (4x flamers, 1 apothecary) /w rhino
3x tac squads, each with a plasma gun (all in rhinos)
1x dev squad (4x plasma cannons, in a razorback)
1x assault terminator squad (5 terms, all thunder hammer/storm shield, in a land raider crusader)
1x predator, auto cannon turret/heavy bolter sponsons
Iron Hands chapter tactics

Vs

2x Flying hive tyrants
1x carnifex squad (3 carnies total)
At least 3 warrior squads
2x termagant squads (~20 termagants per, I think?)
venomthropes
a trygon

The carnifexes tore apart my tac squads' rhinos (and the tac squads themselves, afterwards), my command squad roasted a full squad of termagants in one go then butchered a warrior squad afterwards (the burning blade burned my commander twice :v: ) the land raider and command squad rhino got immobilized on the same piece of terrain before getting detonated by some random MC, my devastators used their pistols to snapshot a flying hive tyrant out of the sky (and ground him for his final wound), the devastators got eaten by the trygon, and my terminators died the way that all terminators should: smashing little bugs left and right until the big ones showed up and shut down the party. This was mine and my opponent's first game since labor day or so, before his latest kid was born and he ended up traveling around a ton for work. Good times all in all, even if my guys got digested and recycled. :)

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

ProfessorCurly posted:

That's the rub isn't it. Unfortunately 4 of my broadsides are the old pewters and the last 2 I use as Shas'vre are some scratchbuilt ones I converted to carry some cut down Ion Cannons I had laying about. I don't know how I'd get them to be Missile Pods besides maybe breaking them apart and trying to magnetize them. I take it the heavy rail rifles aren't typically as useful as I imagine?
I'm actually still using the old metal/plastic Broadsides as well. There are a couple ways you can convert them to look like more "proper" Missilesides- I was lucky enough to have a bunch of the Multiple Rocket Pods from the Valkyrie kit available, which ends up looking pretty good. Any other large missile thinger can work as well- there are some 3rd party companies that make various ones at various prices, there's the Whirlwind missile launcher, you could maybe use the Smart Missiles off of vehicle chassis if by some miracle you have a buttload of those, and you could scrounge around for other options as well. You might even check some hobby or modeling stores (online or in person), as you can sometimes find good deals on mecha bits or airplane parts that will work. Very hit or miss, tho.

quote:

I could drop the Velocity Tracker and Disruption Pods to get Early Warning Overrides on the Broadsides. I also like Longstrike for being able to somewhat reliably and independently strike heavy armor from a distance. Dropping him for Piranhas is an idea, and would also let me give the Fire Warriors EMP grenades which could be useful.
Longstrike is definitely not bad- he can reliably punch a hole in most tanks (remember that Tank Hunter!) and against Imperial Guard he is just brutal. However, he is pretty expensive- you can get almost five Piranhas (or four Fusion ones) for his cost. It's hard for me to give a really objective appraisal of which would be better in your army because I love Piranhas waaaaay too much, but they're both good options.

Also, you should only need to drop the Disruption Pods to get EWO on all the Broadsides. 15pts each for the two Pods, 5pts each for six EWOs.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I just realized this weekend was the last time I'll play with the old Necrons book. It went out with a bang, ruining Hixson's night and coughing up a tremendous win. :rip:

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

I had to play against a Scorpion at NOVA last year and that thing is loving brutal. The Lynx is like a poor man's scorpion, right? Does it have a titan holofield?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

The Sex Cannon posted:

I had to play against a Scorpion at NOVA last year and that thing is loving brutal. The Lynx is like a poor man's scorpion, right? Does it have a titan holofield?

It's pretty much Babby's First Scorpion, yeah. It's got the Holofields, but rather than being 12/12/11 with 9HP it's 11/11/10 with 6HP, so it ends up being a lot easier to bring down. It is, however, significantly cheaper (420pts vs 650pts) and thus ends up being a generally-better vehicle overall.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Speaking of the big D, what are the cheapest ways of getting it into your army? Looking at the 30k books, strength D is rare and hard to get even in the LOW slot.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Are you asking specifically about 30k?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Speaking of the big D, what are the cheapest ways of getting it into your army? Looking at the 30k books, strength D is rare and hard to get even in the LOW slot.

Vortex Of Doom, a psychic power on Sanctic Daemonology.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Basically everyone gets Vortex of Doom, so I won't bother with repeating that over and over. It's also unreliable, so it sorta doesn't count.

SM, SW, BA, DA, SoB, GK: Warhound Scout Titan (720pts)
IG: Shadowsword (455pts)
Imperial Knights: Knight Errant (375pts, melee only)
Chaos Space Marines: Chaos Warhound (730pts)
Chaos Daemons: Lord of Skulls (888pts)
Dark Eldar: Revenant (900pts)
Eldar: Lynx (420pts)
Necrons: Pylon (420pts, but skyfire only), new codex appears to be able to bring a Str D shot randomly on the C'tan for 240pts
Orks: Shokk Attack Gun (if you're amazing at rolling boxcars), Kill Bursta (400pts), Kustom Stompa gets a special mention for being able to bring two Bursta Kannons (7" blast Str D weapons) for 450pts
Tau: Tiger Shark AX-1-0 (660pts)
Tyranids: They don't get any, ha ha! Not a single loving one in any book ever!

I think that is the best each of the factions can do? I'm also not counting Apocalypse Formations or Strategems, some of which can bring Str D shots in various ways.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

ProfessorCurly posted:

You can order the turret off of this which is a bit smaller than a cyclone missile launcher but it is cheap and will do the job

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/CAV:%20Strike%20Operations/z-a/24589

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

AbusePuppy posted:

Basically everyone gets Vortex of Doom, so I won't bother with repeating that over and over. It's also unreliable, so it sorta doesn't count.

Necrons: Pylon (420pts, but skyfire only), new codex appears to be able to bring a Str D shot randomly on the C'tan for 240pts
Orks: Shokk Attack Gun (if you're amazing at rolling boxcars), Kill Bursta (400pts), Kustom Stompa gets a special mention for being able to bring two Bursta Kannons (7" blast Str D weapons) for 450pts

I think that is the best each of the factions can do? I'm also not counting Apocalypse Formations or Strategems, some of which can bring Str D shots in various ways.

Shadowswords are awesome. Here's mine:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Big Willy Style posted:

You can order the turret off of this which is a bit smaller than a cyclone missile launcher but it is cheap and will do the job

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/CAV:%20Strike%20Operations/z-a/24589

Not anymore, from the looks of it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

AbusePuppy posted:

Thanks for the breakdown! For 30k land:

Admech: Knight Errant ~375pts
Legion: Flachion ~500pts

Out of the budget options, the Lynx, Kill Bursta, Kustom Stompa, and Knights look like the best options. I would put the shadowsword and flachion up there too, but they are drat expensive for just a single D strength shot. Some of the other LOW choices are just... better. Typon seige tank? Hell fuckin yes.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

Depending, there is still the Area Denial Network. 175 points per turret, immobile defenses. Armor 12 all around, superheavy, 6 hull points, armed with a twin-linked Heavy Railcannon. 180 inch range railgun, and if two or more Area Denial Nodes hit the same target with their solid shot all their shots count as Destroyer.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Huh, is that from IA4? I don't remember seeing that one previously.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

Huh, is that from IA4? I don't remember seeing that one previously.

It's from White Dwarf, I have it around somewhere. Your mileage may vary with that, but it's basically the only option Tau have when multiple big superheavies start hitting the field. Dual Plague Towers for instance.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks for the breakdown! For 30k land:

Admech: Knight Errant ~375pts
Legion: Flachion ~500pts

Out of the budget options, the Lynx, Kill Bursta, Kustom Stompa, and Knights look like the best options. I would put the shadowsword and flachion up there too, but they are drat expensive for just a single D strength shot. Some of the other LOW choices are just... better. Typon seige tank? Hell fuckin yes.

Hey, I don't have a warhound only wearing pants for show, you can take them or even the falchion in an AdMech list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

:swoon:

• Locked thread