Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
code of honor rules, idk what yall are talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014
Goddamn it. I knew A New Dawn was a fluke. God forbid we try anything other than Luke/Emperor/Vader and random assorted Sith. How could we possibly hope for people to care about new characters, right guys

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
tbf most of the new chars they make end up sucking

E: like seriously one of the best eu characters is piggy, a gammorean xwing pilot

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014
I suppose, but don't they actually have oversight now to prevent such stupidity

Or Hell, if they are so adverse to new characters, why not have a book about Mon Mothma or Wedge Antilles (hopefully not from Space Texas because there are different people in the universe and being a good pilot is not resultant of being born in a specific area), somebody not really explored who could be interesting

Or God Forbid Lando

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
They do. X wing series. Also lando has his own trilogy.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I actually like those Shakespearean star wars books, they're fun.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Lando books were very reminiscent of the original Han Solo trilogy: 80s as gently caress, very pulpy, and good fun reads. I loved the starfish robot droid and the aliens that were so terrified of another race that they made themselves devolve into basically zombies.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

The Lando books were very reminiscent of the original Han Solo trilogy: 80s as gently caress, very pulpy, and good fun reads. I loved the starfish robot droid and the aliens that were so terrified of another race that they made themselves devolve into basically zombies.

I hope you're not talking about Lando and the Amazing Organic Quella ship because those were some of the worst poo poo I've ever read.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheSpiritFox posted:

I hope you're not talking about Lando and the Amazing Organic Quella ship because those were some of the worst poo poo I've ever read.

Somebody doesn't like fun

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Somebody doesn't like fun

Come here let me cut off your head so I can feed your blood to the fleshy egg sacs containing my children.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheSpiritFox posted:

Come here let me cut off your head so I can feed your blood to the fleshy egg sacs containing my children.

No thanx gonna go cruise with some space whales cyaaaaaa

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014

Fetus Tree posted:

They do. X wing series. Also lando has his own trilogy.

I only read The Bacta War, and reviews for the latter are pretty mixed

I want new stuff about Star Wars muggles, dammit

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

I only read The Bacta War, and reviews for the latter are pretty mixed

I want new stuff about Star Wars muggles, dammit

Corran Horn turning into a Jedi kind of hosed up that series. Dinner Squadron 4 lyfe

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I like those books despite corran being a jedi. Wraith Squadron books fuckin own. As does starfighters of adumar.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

TK-42-1 posted:

Corran Horn turning into a Jedi kind of hosed up that series. Dinner Squadron 4 lyfe

Yub yub, Commander.

The Stackpole X Wing books are necessary to establish a baseline for Wedge Antilles that the Allston X Wing books then completely loving exceed in every possible way.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

are there any pics of the wraith squadron fighters? Like if they had any cool livery? I have a couple extra x-wings I could paint

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Chill la Chill posted:

are there any pics of the wraith squadron fighters? Like if they had any cool livery? I have a couple extra x-wings I could paint

There's a chapter early on in the first book where they talk about the designs that the Wraiths.....wait. I'm thinking of the Bacta War when the Rogues go rogue and pretend to be pirates.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"...The main element of the design was a white circle, over which, in light gray, appeared the central symbol of the New Republic, a design like the stylized bird with upswept wings. Over that were twelve X-wing silhouettes, as if viewed from above, in black; one, in the lower left portion of the circle, was large, and the eleven arrayed around it a third its size. All were oriented the same direction, from lower left to upper right, as though flying in tight, precise formation. Around the white circle was a broad blue ring bordered by two narrow gold rings."

That's a really fuckin' boring emblem for WRAITH SQUADRON.

I mean even in real life they try a little harder than "A bunch of F-16s over a American Flag" and use cool animals and skulls and poo poo. You think with Wraith Squadron they'd use one of the Frownhead Skullmonster EU people who can live in space or w/e.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Air_Force_fighter_squadrons

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 26, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You assholes who keep creeping into the thread to insist the EU is good to need to ride the gently caress on out of town

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

You assholes who keep creeping into the thread to insist the EU is good to need to ride the gently caress on out of town

"but the thrawwwwn trillogy!" is the free space in reprehensible EU apologetics bingo.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Im p sure i have the most posts itt and defend what i like and mock what i dont. Shockingly, in a series with literally hundreds of entries, some can be enjoyable.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fetus Tree posted:

Im p sure i have the most posts itt and defend what i like and mock what i dont. Shockingly, in a series with literally hundreds of entries, some can be enjoyable.

Wrongo

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Has Bossk been given his own series yet? If not they should get on it ASAP he is by far the most exciting and controversial character in the Star Wars stable.

Maybe like Bossk and Han Solo get combined in a transporter accident and have to track down 4-lom who has bossks transport records stored in his holographic matrix.

Or Bossk realizes he has force powers and trains to become a Jedi. But he uses his Jedi training to be a better bounty hunter.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

I'll take this opportunity to repent and say if I said anything good about a Star Wars book it was comparatively in regards to other star wars books. None of them stand up to actual literature.

By that same token sometimes you just really want that McDonald's cheeseburger. It's bad and hardly food and we all know it but sometimes you want that anyway.

Also I seem to be wrapping up A new dawn, of course the lame o Vader rip off Vidian started off as a mild mannered safety inspector, but no one listened. Now he's a cyborg and HES THE ONE BREAKING ALL THE SAFETY RULES!!!

gently caress, how lame is that. The big antagonist is a loving safety inspector with robot limbs and an axe to grind.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Star Wars novels were awesome when I was 12, and now that I'm 16 I'm going to tell you that they're still awesome

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Cyberball 2072 posted:

gently caress, how lame is that. The big antagonist is a loving safety inspector with robot limbs and an axe to grind.

Eu writers trolling readers now hahah.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Has Bossk been given his own series yet? If not they should get on it ASAP he is by far the most exciting and controversial character in the Star Wars stable.

Maybe like Bossk and Han Solo get combined in a transporter accident and have to track down 4-lom who has bossks transport records stored in his holographic matrix.

Or Bossk realizes he has force powers and trains to become a Jedi. But he uses his Jedi training to be a better bounty hunter.

No, but he has been in alot of the short stories and makes some appearances here and there. I liked the one story where he successfully stole from and blackmailed Boba Fett for a large amount of money. He retired after the battle of endor though.

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Also I seem to be wrapping up A new dawn, of course the lame o Vader rip off Vidian started off as a mild mannered safety inspector, but no one listened. Now he's a cyborg and HES THE ONE BREAKING ALL THE SAFETY RULES!!!

Or maybe he found that after devoting his entire life to laws/regulations and expecting others to respect them that, in fact, nobody gave a poo poo so rather than continue to put his trust in others and devote himself to ideals he just started doing whatever is necessary to make profits

The subsequent, systematic dismantling of worker's rights - unsafe working conditions, constant surveillance, increasingly unrealistic deadlines - echoes the real world fairly well, I think

E: Not saying New Dawn puts The Great Gatsby to shame, but at least they loving tried to do something other than a dime-a-dozen sci-fantasy adventure

Ragtime Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 26, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Bossk is heavily featured in the bounty hunter wars trilogy, a series almost nobody likes

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

Also, there is this one story where Bossk makes fun of Han Solo because Chewbacca got squished by a moon, and Han breaks Bossk's snout. Which really, that should have broken his hand or Bossk should have opened his mouth and eaten his hand.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
lol thats not true is it?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Thrawn wasn't even good, it's just that he looks kinda cool with his red demon eyes and the chiss ladies in SWTOR give me boners.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

lol thats not true is it?

Remember the Golden Rule

"No matter how ridiculous or insane, everything said about the Star Wars EU is always true!"

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Years after the Battle of Endor, Bossk retired from professional hunting. He later ran into Han Solo on a space stationorbiting Ord Mantell during the Yuuzhan Vong War. When he heard of Chewbacca's death, Bossk rubbed it in Solo's face, receiving a broken snout in return. The encounter escalated into a fight, and both Bossk and Solo were put into arrest cells. Solo was allowed to leave shortly before the invasion of the space station, but Bossk had to stay. The station was later destroyed, but just before the explosion, an escape pod jettisoned.

lol

Bossk also fought in the clone wars, because of course he did

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bossk is OK in my book because he's actually a huge rear end in a top hat character and he actually does the job for other characters.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Even for stupid poo poo like "Darth Vader was a good guy playing the long con the whole time" this thread found a source.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i dont mind bossk, its just p funny that actually happened

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

also chewie held a moon up with his strong wookie arms then it squished him then they made a tree sculpture out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Please tell me Jackson actually had them carve BMF on his sabre.
Tell me this is a thing that really happened.

You asked about this a while ago, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubyo5eZz_Jc

• Locked thread