Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Elf sequel is looking pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafrasquatch
May 7, 2007

Blelf

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

who watches this poo poo

The same people who watched two and a half men.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Did those images or videos like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5EoOUX8m0c come first?

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Zedd posted:

Did those images or videos like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5EoOUX8m0c come first?

pics started on 4chan, the vids came later as it spread

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I was forced to watch an episode while visiting my own fiftysomething parents and heard a snippet of dialogue/laughtrack that I had seen around the internet, and had thought was made up.

"Windows 7 is more user-friendly than Vista."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
"I don't like that."
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAA

The show is bad and if you like it you should feel bad.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sex Hobbit posted:

I was forced to watch an episode while visiting my own fiftysomething parents and heard a snippet of dialogue/laughtrack that I had seen around the internet, and had thought was made up.

"Windows 7 is more user-friendly than Vista."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
"I don't like that."
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAA

The trick is to remove the laugh track. Then it becomes sublime.

Sublimely bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

For real, I cannot understand people's love for that show. My parents also loved the hell out of it, as well as several mid-twenties friends of mine.

Seriously considering unfriending them IRL.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Phanatic posted:

Sublimely bad.

Wow all those pauses are almost awkward as me.

-a ha ha ha

Anyway it is a good video.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Thump! posted:

For real, I cannot understand people's love for that show. My parents also loved the hell out of it, as well as several mid-twenties friends of mine.

The best part of this is when people find out that I'm doing physics for grad school, and they bring it up. "Are you a borderline-autistic socially-retarded manchild, like on the show? I bet you are! *I bet you are!*", and then when I say I don't like the show, "Oh, I bet it hits a little close to home, doesn't it? *WINK*"

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Lamprey Cannon posted:

The best part of this is when people find out that I'm doing physics for grad school, and they bring it up. "Are you a borderline-autistic socially-retarded manchild, like on the show? I bet you are! *I bet you are!*", and then when I say I don't like the show, "Oh, I bet it hits a little close to home, doesn't it? *WINK*"

Well, looks like it does.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Lamprey Cannon posted:

You're pretty lucky people still try talking to you.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Phanatic posted:

Sublimely bad.

Not that I'm one to defend it (I suffer it because there's nothing else on some nights and my wife enjoys it) the same can be said of basically any show which is filmed in from of a live audience as I understand that Big Bang is. When you have to pause for laughs, it sounds weird when the laughs aren't there.

Big Bang definitely edges closer to 'social pressure laughter' than many shows though.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Bazinga?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

thespaceinvader posted:

Not that I'm one to defend it (I suffer it because there's nothing else on some nights and my wife enjoys it) the same can be said of basically any show which is filmed in from of a live audience as I understand that Big Bang is. When you have to pause for laughs, it sounds weird when the laughs aren't there.

Big Bang definitely edges closer to 'social pressure laughter' than many shows though.

Is it really filmed in front of an audience? I thought they were using canned laugh-tracks. Because gently caress the jokes are really not jokes. At least, I don't want to meet the crowd of people who find them funny.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I googled it before I posted and yes, it seems like it is. You can apply for tickets and everything. Most shows with 'laugh tracks' are filmed with a live audience, as far as I'm aware, because, as previously noted, it would be really hard for the actors to act without knowing what the response was. I suspect the laughter is enhanced in a lot of cases, but mostly it's actually there. There aren't many primetime comedies which aren't, but I find them very memorable (Scrubs, Brooklyn 9-9, many older British sitcoms).

E: and having been in the audience for some filmings, albeit not of sitcoms but of topical shows, the filmings can be incredibly tedious, so it's not surprising the laughter sometimes feels a bit forced. When you've sat through the fourth or fifth reshoot of a single joke it can be pretty hard to keep the energy up.

It's much better being in the audience for an actually live show. My wife and I have been in the audience for both Ten O'Clock Live and The Last Leg in the UK and they were fantastic experiences.

thespaceinvader has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Jan 26, 2015

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
http://www.clickhole.com/video/watch-big-bang-theory-more-laughter-added-1132

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thump! posted:

Is it really filmed in front of an audience? I thought they were using canned laugh-tracks.
Both of these things happen. I've been to live shows and they definitely edit in laughter and applause when there is none, or when it isn't loud enough. The other part is that people who go there already expect to laugh a lot and obviously like the material.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Lamprey Cannon posted:

The amount of times my husband, who has a physics degree, has been called Sheldon is tiring. The blonde one, Penny? Recently said she doesn't really believe in feminism because she ~likes taking care of her husband~ just seals it even further for me. Especially since one of the other women on the show, Mayim Bialik (who also played Blossom!), has her PhD in neuroscience.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

thespaceinvader posted:

I googled it before I posted and yes, it seems like it is. You can apply for tickets and everything. Most shows with 'laugh tracks' are filmed with a live audience, as far as I'm aware, because, as previously noted, it would be really hard for the actors to act without knowing what the response was. I suspect the laughter is enhanced in a lot of cases, but mostly it's actually there. There aren't many primetime comedies which aren't, but I find them very memorable (Scrubs, Brooklyn 9-9, many older British sitcoms).

E: and having been in the audience for some filmings, albeit not of sitcoms but of topical shows, the filmings can be incredibly tedious, so it's not surprising the laughter sometimes feels a bit forced. When you've sat through the fourth or fifth reshoot of a single joke it can be pretty hard to keep the energy up.

It's much better being in the audience for an actually live show. My wife and I have been in the audience for both Ten O'Clock Live and The Last Leg in the UK and they were fantastic experiences.

Are there snacks?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
All this Big Bang Theory talk is depressing. More Ken M please.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

Toriori posted:

The amount of times my husband, who has a physics degree, has been called Sheldon is tiring. The blonde one, Penny? Recently said she doesn't really believe in feminism because she ~likes taking care of her husband~ just seals it even further for me. Especially since one of the other women on the show, Mayim Bialik (who also played Blossom!), has her PhD in neuroscience.

Blossom has a PhD, but she doesn't think her kids need all those new-fangled vaccinations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Thump! posted:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Wow what a fuckass oval office, now I just hate the show on principal. At first I was like "hahaha he's socially awkward". But now I'm like "wait that's pretty loving racist wow you goddamn shithead man I bet this is going to make people in America go even LESS to college just so they don't get associated by this."

Seriously, how bad can a show be when Wolowitz, the loving Quagmire of the group has actually become the most developed character?

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009

Chainsaw McGee posted:

Blossom has a PhD, but she doesn't think her kids need all those new-fangled vaccinations.

God drat, I had to look this up. She's also a vegan and converted to Judaism and became a mega Zionist. What an insufferable person

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Wow that is extraordinarily bad.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I caught an episode at some point where the autist realizes his girlfriend is lying about being sick, so he starts grilling her

"Have you been experiencing... a growing of the nose? Perhaps some... heat flashes in the pants area?"

"What I'm implying here is LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!"

I decided the show was just too drat subtle and had to change the channel.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

who watches this poo poo

I do.

Matthew Beet posted:

The same people who watched two and a half men.

I can't stand Two and a Half Men.

Trig Discipline posted:

Wow that is extraordinarily bad.

It's "Bazinga! [laugh track] Bazinga! [laugh track]." Of course it's terrible. There aren't quite that many bazingas per second in the actual show.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
goons endlessly declaring their hatred for tv shows they don't watch is more insufferable than the shows themselves, hth

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kajeesus posted:

I caught an episode at some point where the autist realizes his girlfriend is lying about being sick, so he starts grilling her

"Have you been experiencing... a growing of the nose? Perhaps some... heat flashes in the pants area?"

"What I'm implying here is LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!"

I decided the show was just too drat subtle and had to change the channel.

Let me explain the joke, so you can finally appreciate the show. His comment regarding 'nose growth' is a reference to an Italian novel 'Adventures of Pinocchio', where the eponymous character is a wooden doll whose nose grows wherever he lies. You can find out more here. Hope that helps.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jombo posted:

God drat, I had to look this up. She's also a vegan and converted to Judaism and became a mega Zionist. What an insufferable person

Blossom sucked though so nothing of value, &c

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I love horrible book covers, and god drat is this one just bad.

Same. Although I like them to be terrible book covers made by actual artists. Then again, because so many people are self publishing lately, I've seen work put out by actual graphic artists that looks almost as bad since I guess that's the trend now?

So I'm not making GBS threads up the thread too much:

From http://lousybookcovers.com/

Bored has a new favorite as of 02:50 on Jan 26, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Paladinus posted:

Let me explain the joke, so you can finally appreciate the show. His comment regarding 'nose growth' is a reference to an Italian novel 'Adventures of Pinocchio', where the eponymous character is a wooden doll whose nose grows wherever he lies. You can find out more here. Hope that helps.

Ohh, thanks, that makes sense. :)

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW

Centripetal Horse posted:

I do.

I can't stand Two and a Half Men.

It's "Bazinga! [laugh track] Bazinga! [laugh track]." Of course it's terrible. There aren't quite that many bazingas per second in the actual show.

please rename me to bazingas per second

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Steampunk iPhone posted:

please rename me to bazingas per second

You gotta keep your BPS up, dude, or we're going to kick you from the guild.

CONTENT:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moon Slayer posted:

You gotta keep your BPS up, dude, or we're going to kick you from the guild.

CONTENT:

:allears:
My favorite scene from the entire series.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VendaGoat posted:

:allears:
My favorite scene from the entire series.

The entire episode is my favourite in the series. Especially the golf scene :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The entire episode is my favourite in the series. Especially the golf scene :allears:.

IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACK SWING!?

• Locked thread