Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I enjoy Samus because Up air - up air - up b is super satisfying as is missiles and charge shots but if they figure out my charge shots I have no idea how to kill with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Cry onto your controller and hope your lovely smash attacks connect

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I love using Samus's up smash because it's like rolling a dice to see if it does anything or not.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Samus downtilt makes a dude go up in the air, then you can do the other things.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Whatev posted:

Do people care about win/loss for some reason? After playing like 6 people in a row who quit after one match, it gets pretty, you know, what the hell?

Also Samus is pretty good but her roll still sucks mega dick.

I quit after a match if the lag is bad

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Kaubocks posted:

I was in a fire emblem mood but didn't feel like playing as my usual ike so instead I poked around with marth because even since melee I haven't played him much.

Goddamn his tippers in this game are really good like wow. I killed someone from near center stage with a forward smash when they were at about 40%. it's crazy. shield breaker actually breaks shields this time around too so it's super easy to set up strong tipper attacks.

it's kind of filthy really
Marth is actually worse than he's ever been. His tips always hit crazy hard, but now they are harder to land with and do less damage. He still is probably OK, but he was one of the few characters that got overwhelmingly nerfed. The shield breaker is much stronger, however. Doesn't even need to be close to fully charged to break shields.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I enjoy Samus because Up air - up air - up b is super satisfying as is missiles and charge shots but if they figure out my charge shots I have no idea how to kill with her.
Her back air hits super hard if you get it right with the foot. Practice doing short hops with it. Jumping forward over an enemy and then slapping them with it is also effective. Her screw attack kills real nice if you land it in the air. Her down air is better than most meteor smashes since it's quick and has a generously wide arc. She's quite good at chasing people offstage, but you have to balance that with keeping up her charge shot.

And there is no way to figure out charge shots. You should always try to have that ready and use it at close range when enemies are in the middle of a movement and don't have time to reflect or shield. Just holding it for awhile also really messes people, and they will make themselves vulnerable by trying to reflect it at obvious times. Then you punch them in the face. Kirby is uniquely irritating to Samus since charge shot has gotta be the best copy ability by far.

Also remember to walljump and use her tether grab for recovering to mix things up and ward off edgeguard attacks. Combined with her bombs, she is pretty tough to kill.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I like to run off the stage and immediately charge shot as they recover low.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Whatev posted:

Kirby is uniquely irritating to Samus since charge shot has gotta be the best copy ability by far.

Most pro Kirbys prefer keeping his Inhale above all else... but I think some of them would prefer Monado Arts if they had the opportunity. Nothing quite like using Jump and having five midair jumps to pursue with, or using Buster and getting ~3% with each kick on his downthrow.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm fully aware that no Marth will ever be as good as his Melee incarnation and Smash 4's probably sucks horrible garbage in comparison but this is the first time I've ever actually enjoyed playing him. Not sure what that says about me.

those tippers are just too goddamn satisfying

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
They made those tippers way powerful and incredibly satisfying to land which automatically makes this Marth the best incarnation. :colbert:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah tippers sure are nice aren't they :negative:

I am so sorry. :smith:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Killing Pac-Man with a reflected hydrant drop is the funniest thing, god drat.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Whatev posted:

And there is no way to figure out charge shots. You should always try to have that ready and use it at close range when enemies are in the middle of a movement and don't have time to reflect or shield. Just holding it for awhile also really messes people, and they will make themselves vulnerable by trying to reflect it at obvious times. Then you punch them in the face. Kirby is uniquely irritating to Samus since charge shot has gotta be the best copy ability by far.
The key change in smash4 that makes the charge shot annoying is landing lag - you can't go from being in the air to being on the ground without having a window where you can get hit, which is a great time to get hit by a charge shot. Using both jumps to get onto the stage is potentially a death sentence (especially since air dodging into the stage adds landing lag.) It's annoying in the same way fighting Blanka is in street fighter 4 - you have to learn a whole different rule book to play against the character, and there's precise timing that screws you if you mess up.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Feeding amiibos equipment destroys that equipment forever, right? I want to give my Bowser the reduced landing lag equipment, but not if it is one of a kind, as I might want to mess around with it myself.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Feeding amiibos equipment destroys that equipment forever, right? I want to give my Bowser the reduced landing lag equipment, but not if it is one of a kind, as I might want to mess around with it myself.

after an equipment modifier has been unlocked from a challenge "vampire" "smooth lander" or found randomly for the first time you can find it on any type of equipment.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Second funniest. The funniest is the Villager chopping down a tree and reflecting back the other way.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i like when villager tries to recover by riding the gyroid and then i reflect it and they have no choice but to ride it out away from the stage

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Which reminds me, anyone have that one video of Little Mac KO punching the hydrant?

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Are you able to get multiple golden hammers to clear challenges or is it you get 5 and you may only use 5 golden hammers?

Going off of this: http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Challenges_(SSBWU)

There are exactly five challenges that reward you with a golden hammer. You can hold on to as many as you need. And some challenges (red on that page) can't have a hammer used on them.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

For Glory sucks. Smash isn't as fun when I can't actively talk with my friends as I play against them. Final Destination bores me to tears and makes projectile games super powerful causing most people to just roll roll roll roll projectile roll roll roll projectile. I tried a team battle because 1v1 was getting dull and the match was so laggy there was literally at least 2 full seconds of input delay. I quit the match and then I wasn't allowed to play for ten minutes because how dare I, I guess.

I'm probably just gonna stick to playing with friends.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

For Glory sucks. Smash isn't as fun when I can't actively talk with my friends as I play against them. Final Destination bores me to tears and makes projectile games super powerful causing most people to just roll roll roll roll projectile roll roll roll projectile. I tried a team battle because 1v1 was getting dull and the match was so laggy there was literally at least 2 full seconds of input delay. I quit the match and then I wasn't allowed to play for ten minutes because how dare I, I guess.

I'm probably just gonna stick to playing with friends.

join the goonsmash irc. there are dumb people there but there are also cool people there, its fun

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sharrrk posted:

join the goonsmash irc. there are dumb people there but there are also cool people there, its fun

hi im dumb

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

SilverSupernova posted:

Which reminds me, anyone have that one video of Little Mac KO punching the hydrant?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RwnYECnMf4

I got you.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Thank you very much.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Finally have a display I can hook consoles up to properly so it's :toot: time. NNID is 'aBoxbot' if anyone wants to smash (me).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Today I learned Bowser's side B will force sudden death when used against another Bowser

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Today I learned Bowser's side B will force sudden death when used against another Bowser

Bowser always dies first...!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

sharrrk posted:

I'll definitely check it next time I'm looking for some games. I'm a fairly casual player. Like I ain't want items or anything crazy like that but I might pick Norfair from time to time.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Bowser, you've caused a time paradox!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Mario/Luigi/Dr. Mario Smash 4 differences (that no one will read):

They all have different physics from each other like how Luigi jumps the highest, Mario runs the fastest, and so forth.

Mario and Dr. Mario can wall-jump. Luigi can crawl.

Luigi has a different jab combo, up tilt, down tilt, forward smash, down smash, dash attack, forward air, down air, down throw, side special and down special from Mario, and his neutral and up specials are variants of Mario's and functions differently than his (Luigi's fireballs travel straight and are more spamable while Super Jump Punch is an all-or-nothing sweet-spot attack). His default jump animation is different, as is his Final Smash. His custom moves are all different from Mario's, though one of the neutral B customs make his fireballs have physics similiar to Mario's (it is still a variant though). Neutral air also knocks people upwards compared to Mario's version.

Dr. Mario has a different down air and down special from Mario. His other specials are variants of Mario's and have differences in function (Megavitamins are bouncier than Mario's fireballs and pack better hitstun, Super Sheet does not stall in the air like Mario's Super Cape does, Super Jump Punch is single-hit and more powerful at the start of the move at the cost of some recovery height). His Final Smash is visually different from Mario's (and make different sounds as well), but is otherwise the same. His forward smash, neutral air and forward air are also different in function compared to Mario's, and can be considered variants: Forward smash does more damage and knockback if you hit with Dr. Mario's palm rather than the lightning ball, neutral air actually becomes stronger the longer it's out and forward air is not a meteor smash. His attacks are also generally stronger than Mario's. His neutral, side, and up special customs are the same as Mario's, but use Dr. Mario's properties where applicable. The rest of Dr. Mario's moves are the same as Mario but are also generally more powerful.

Luigi shares two more moves with Dr. Mario than he does with Mario in their down air and down special, but they have enough differences in function to be considered unique to themselves: Luigi's down air is a single-hit attack and a potential meteor while Dr. Mario's is a multi-hit attack. Luigi Cyclone has more mobility and does more damage and it's rise effect is also more easily affected by whether Luigi is jumping or falling and is harder to rise properly with, whereas Dr. Tornado does not deal as much damage and doesn't really move as well on the ground but does rise more easily and more independent of Dr. Mario's jumping/falling. Dr. Tornado also launches opponents more sideways as opposed to Luigi Cyclone which mostly launches opponents more upwards. All these changes (the poor mobility and stronger rising capabilities in particular) make Dr. Tornado more like the old Mario Tornado from the first two games. Dr. Mario's down special customs are the same as Luigi's, but use Dr. Mario's properties where applicable. Dr. Mario's default Super Jump Punch is also closer to Luigi's in function than it is to Mario's and can be considered a hybrid of the two. Other differences between them in moveset and ability are generally the same as the rest of Luigi's differences from Mario.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I like Smash Bros !!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWs5oX5apUQ

Behold teamwork

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

I like Smash Bros !!

SAme

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

So I was wondering if someone here might have some idea how to fix my online issues. The game plays fine when I'm connected, but after a while (usually a few matches in) I'll just disconnect mid-match and be completely unable to get back in for a while, getting Error Code 101-0502 or 102-2106 every time. I've tried using both DMZ and Port Forwarding, but neither seems to fix it. Any other suggestions?

oh god my sides

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Wow... That is definitely a use for that move that I had never thought of before, and it is amazing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:golfclap:

That was beautiful.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

This is the best thing I've seen come out of Smash for a while. Simply beautiful. :golfclap:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Ahaha the Ness in that video is getting pissy in the comments

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Wild Knight posted:

Ahaha the Ness in that video is getting pissy in the comments

"Oh no, someone styled on me with a cool move in a moment that will probably be forgotten in a month! My smash career is ruined!"

Get the gently caress over yourself.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Uh I'm pretty sure he's joking with that comment guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
he's dead

• Locked thread