Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm really wondering if it won't be correct to cut Rabblemaster entirely, or if it'll be some combination if it and Monastery Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It may be one of those cases where it's almost a 4-5 drop masquerading as a 3 drop. At it's best he dropped it with extra mana open to get more dudes even if the Mentor got smoked by removal. Where as you REALLY want Rabble on turn 3 if you can help it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Rabblemaster into Shaman of the Great Hunt looks sick, though.

I find it hliarious how WU Heroic got 4th place without a single new card from FRF. "Heh nice dragons and sieges nerd" *defiant strikes a battlewise hoplite*

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Torpor Terror worked great on Friday. Any hand I had either a spell I could transmute or an orb ended in my opponent staring down the barrel of a 7/7 or a flying trample 9/8. The only really worthless card I had in hand at all was the etched monstrosity. Every time it went down, it was worthless for basically anything. I'm thinking about maindecking 2/2 surgical extraction/inquisition of kozilek, as what I sided in most was hand disruption anyway. That, or additionally cuttting two sundials from main deck and replace them with dismember.

Here's the deck.

torpor terror

I probably have two more modern FNMs before everyone that sideboards sideboards for it.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

This deck is goddamn hilarious.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

kizudarake posted:

Torpor Terror worked great on Friday. Any hand I had either a spell I could transmute or an orb ended in my opponent staring down the barrel of a 7/7 or a flying trample 9/8. The only really worthless card I had in hand at all was the etched monstrosity. Every time it went down, it was worthless for basically anything. I'm thinking about maindecking 2/2 surgical extraction/inquisition of kozilek, as what I sided in most was hand disruption anyway. That, or additionally cuttting two sundials from main deck and replace them with dismember.

Here's the deck.

torpor terror

I probably have two more modern FNMs before everyone that sideboards sideboards for it.

Neat deck, your Etched Monstrosity doesn't work though. It's not a trigger, it just enters with the counters.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

kizudarake posted:

Here's the deck.

torpor terror

You know Torpor Orb doesn't affect Etched Monstrosity right? It enters with the -1/-1 counters rather than getting them as an ETB so Torpor Orb doesn't stop it.

Shuffling around some stuff for a hand disruption package seems like a solid way to go with it.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I'm curious to know if you ever got to hard cast Muddle the Mixture. Combo enablers doubling as countermagic seems incredibly strong.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

That's almost the exact same list I have (except I replaced the Monstrosities with Treacherous Pit-Dweller), happy to see I inspired someone though I took my maindeck almost entirely from another goon.

E: Any other 2 CMC spells one could run instead of Shred Memories? Muddle is still pretty useful once you manage to get a Torpor Orb out but Shred seems like more of a corner case (that might be a good SB candidate if you move the hand disruption maindeck)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 26, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought Etched Monstrosity doesn't work due to the wording, there's no triggered effect that you can try and ignore.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Here's the something beautiful from CalebD I mentioned a few days ago

http://www.twitch.tv/calebdmtg/v/3707368

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

C-Euro posted:

That's almost the exact same list I have (except I replaced the Monstrosities with Treacherous Pit-Dweller), happy to see I inspired someone though I took my maindeck almost entirely from another goon.

E: Any other 2 CMC spells one could run instead of Shred Memories? Muddle is still pretty useful once you manage to get a Torpor Orb out but Shred seems like more of a corner case (that might be a good SB candidate if you move the hand disruption maindeck)

The only other 2 CMC Transmute is Dimir Infiltrator. UB for an unblockable 1/3 or Transmute for 1UB. The Shreds are probably still better.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I think I hunted up my deck list from off the forums, but I did get inspiration from you talking about your deck(but you never posted your deck list.)

Alaan posted:

Neat deck, your Etched Monstrosity doesn't work though. It's not a trigger, it just enters with the counters.

Cernunnos posted:

You know Torpor Orb doesn't affect Etched Monstrosity right? It enters with the -1/-1 counters rather than getting them as an ETB so Torpor Orb doesn't stop it.

Shuffling around some stuff for a hand disruption package seems like a solid way to go with it.

:goonsay:

Goons want to assume everyone doesn't know how to play their own deck. I knew it didn't affect it before I played it. That's why it's the most useless part of the deck. The most it does is get mistaken as the real threat by a newbie duressing it. "A 10/10? Holy poo poo, that has to go!"

I did hard cast muddle the mixture once, against an infect deck's titanic growth, (he tapped out for it), and then I surgical extractioned every other copy of it from his hand and deck on resolution(2 copies in hand). My turn, I swung in for lethal + 15 with two 9/8s.

Also, another game, I sundialed three different times when an opponent cracked their fetches at the end of my turn. "In response to your activated ability, I activate sundial's ability. Your fetch is still in the graveyard, but you don't get to search for a land."

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 26, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

kizudarake posted:

Goons want to assume everyone doesn't know how to play their own deck. I knew it didn't affect it before I played it. That's why it's the most useless part of the deck. The most it does is get mistaken as the real threat by a newbie duressing it. "A 10/10? Holy poo poo, that has to go!"

You can't duress it. It's a creature.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

kizudarake posted:

Then you don't know how to play your own deck because why in the blue hell are you playing Etched loving Monstrosity?!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then you don't know how to play your own deck because why in the blue hell are you playing Etched loving Monstrosity?!

It was in the deck list, and I was in a hurry to put it together.

I figured hey, at least it's a 5/5 for 5 colorless.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

You can't duress it. It's a creature.

Distress. loving autocorrect.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

kizudarake posted:

It was in the deck list, and I was in a hurry to put it together.

I figured hey, at least it's a 5/5 for 5 colorless.

Forget a 5 mana 5/5 my friend, try out instead a 5 mana 10/10. You could also try laboratory maniac as well!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Magic thread, I need your help with a question about combo deckbuilding.

If I'm running 4 Careful Study with the intention of discarding a Worldgorger Dragon to the grave, how badly does it hurt me to have 3 Dragons in the deck instead of 4? Am I better off running 3 or 4?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 26, 2015

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

kizudarake posted:

Here's the deck.

torpor terror

This looks really fun but also like it just folds to Abrupt Decay. I'd want to put Apostle's Blessing or something in the sideboard to swap with the Turn Asides if they're playing BG.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Magic thread, I need your help with a question about combo deckbuilding.

If I'm running 4 Careful Study with the intention of discarding a Worldgorger Dragon to the grave, how badly does it hurt me to have 3 Dragons in the deck instead of 4? Am I better off running 3 or 4?

You're worse off running 3 Dragons instead of 4 Griselbrands.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

You're worse off running 3 Dragons instead of 4 Griselbrands.

Yeah you're right winning instantly or drawing is strictly worse than drawing 7 cards

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Fail AIDS human being posted:

This looks really fun but also like it just folds to Abrupt Decay. I'd want to put Apostle's Blessing or something in the sideboard to swap with the Turn Asides if they're playing BG.

Sundial of the infinite has built in protection to abrupt decay.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Unless they main phase it, which they probably would if sundial's out.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah you're right winning instantly or drawing is strictly worse than drawing 7 cards

Then Reanimate Iona or Elesh Norn, 'cuz that's what they do. Griselbrand draws you a shitzillion cards.

Reanimate and Exhume don't work on Worldgorger and it requires yet a third card to actually win which are the biggest strikes against it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
You done screwed up if you didn't listen and preorder your Tasigurs at 2 bucks a piece.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Then Reanimate Iona or Elesh Norn, 'cuz that's what they do. Griselbrand draws you a shitzillion cards.

Reanimate and Exhume don't work on Worldgorger and it requires yet a third card to actually win which are the biggest strikes against it.

You don't need to dedicate as many slots to having creatures and the fact that it gives you a win that turn means you can use Pact instead of Daze, so there's that going for it.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Dr. Stab posted:

If they Abrupt Decay your Sundial in response to you casting any dude, you can Sundial, but you still lose your dude and the rest of your turn, so just relying on the Sundial doesn't seem that great to me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

You don't need to dedicate as many slots to having creatures and the fact that it gives you a win that turn means you can use Pact instead of Daze, so there's that going for it.

In which case go all-loving-in and run four of the bastards. And run some Faithless Looting too. And Dance of the Dead and Necromancy for even more Animate Deadses.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

In which case go all-loving-in and run four of the bastards. And run some Faithless Looting too. And Dance of the Dead and Necromancy for even more Animate Deadses.

I have Dance of the Dead in the deck as a 4 of, Necromancy costs 3 and I've got Intuition and Cunning Wish at that cost already. It would help me win against Deathrite though, but just Wishing for an Abrupt Decay serves the same purpose.

E: Faithless Looting makes Force a lot worse and makes me splash red and the mana's tight enough as is.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 26, 2015

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Unless they main phase it, which they probably would if sundial's out.

Well that's why you run 8 of them while they can only run 4 Decays :smugbert:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm really wondering if it won't be correct to cut Rabblemaster entirely, or if it'll be some combination if it and Monastery Master.

Probably the latter. I see Monastery Mentor as more of a 4-5 drop than a 3 drop similar to how I treated Young Pyromancer as a 3-4 drop against anyone playing removal.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

kirtar posted:

Probably the latter. I see Monastery Mentor as more of a 4-5 drop than a 3 drop similar to how I treated Young Pyromancer as a 3-4 drop against anyone playing removal.

People keep saying this but If the opponent has removal in hand, they're going to kill Rabblemaster leaving you little to no value the same way they do for Mentor. The scenario where Rabblemaster is straight up better than Mentor is a scenario where nobody else does anything or has anything else on the board and Rabblemaster overruns the opponent with his own attack buff or you get to combo out with Ascendancy and Stoke. But I think you'd win just as easily with a ton of Prowess tokens. The real problem with Mentor is that the tokens don't have haste. But the haste and "must attack" is a drawback all of the time for tokens decks.

I think both cards do a good job finishing off your opponent if you drop them early and you opponent can't answer them. But I think Mentor just might be a better topdeck later on. Better deckbuilders than I will probably answer that question soon enough.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 26, 2015

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

You done screwed up if you didn't listen and preorder your Tasigurs at 2 bucks a piece.

I was talking up how insane this guy was but never bothered to pre-order my playset. rip

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Equilibrium posted:

I was talking up how insane this guy was but never bothered to pre-order my playset. rip

Weirdly slow reaction on that price spike. He's got Tarmogoyf-esque stats and can come down almost as early with an extra activated ability that's pure card advantage.

Not to mention LSV saying "This card is amazing" over and over and still its 2 bucks going into the release weekend.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Preordered a playset at 3 bucks, also opened another one on Friday.

Feels good.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Equilibrium posted:

It seems as though this inflation is a direct result of Patrick Chapin / LSV on podcasts talking about how much they love the card.

It's really good. But it's not in every deck, and it's probably not a four-of. There's no way it stays that high.... right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

deftest posted:

It seems as though this inflation is a direct result of Patrick Chapin / LSV on podcasts talking about how much they love the card.

It's really good. But it's not in every deck, and it's probably not a four-of. There's no way it stays that high.... right?

One of the top 2 decks in the Modern IQ had Tasigur in it. But no, its not going to be 13 bucks for its duration in Standard. But I could see it being 13 when we get to Return to Zendikar or whatever's next and nobody is opening Fate Reforged.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Tasigur is pretty sweet and luckily I already opened 2 of them, which I predict will be all that I need for Standard decks.

The price spike seems partially due to speculation on it being good in Eternal formats, as I don't really see any Standard decks playing more than 2 in a deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why only 2? The legendary rule didn't stop Anafenza from being a 3 or 4 of in many Abzan aggro decks. It's a creature you always want in play.

W/ 4 wayfinders delve fuel should rarely be an issue I think.

• Locked thread