Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Last night I was at the peace arch crossing and all of the booths were open and there was zero wait. lol i hope all the cbsa stooges get laid off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cultural Imperial posted:

Yo, what makes you think city employment will remain constant?

I don`t, but it`d have to be depression-level conditions to actually have enough of an impact on housing demand to affect prices. Which could happen, I admit!

Now, the Toronto condo market on the other hand....

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well hopefully the capex and layoff downturn implodes the Albertan real estate market first.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Dreylad posted:

I would love for housing prices to drop in Toronto but yeah I don't see Toronto being affected by any potential real estate crash, not because I believe in the magical power infallibility of real estate markets or anything, just that demand isn't going to drop off because so many people work in the city. But the surrounding area will probably get hit really hard, especially eastern GTA where the Oshawa GM plant is looking like it will close.

Would a housing crash at least cause a slump in rental prices within downtown Toronto? Because that would be mildly positive.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Dreylad posted:

I don`t, but it`d have to be depression-level conditions to actually have enough of an impact on housing demand to affect prices. Which could happen, I admit!

Now, the Toronto condo market on the other hand....

To put things in perspective,

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/11/21/rbc-layoffs-wealth-management_n_6197998.html

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2014/11/4/Scotiabank-to-cut-1500-jobs-close-about-120-branches-amid-writedown-.aspx

My point is that financial contagion hits you in ways you don't anticipate. I went through this with the tech bust. Don't assume you're immune.

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 25, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

What's the GTA economy like in terms of sector composition?

Is it overly concentrated in the government and finance sectors.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
It's pretty diverse but any real estate crash would have a huge impact, because it's interconnected with so many industries. Construction, finance, manufacturing would all experience shocks. Demand for housing will most certainly fall when workers get laid off and salaries decline.

The danger in the Toronto area specifically is that there is so much construction going on that entire projects could get cancelled mid-construction (it's happened MANY times before) and you could have huge surpluses of residential and commercial space if demand drops off. Empty buildings and building sites are really bad and lead to very long recovery times.

RBC fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 25, 2015

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Yo, what makes you think city employment will remain constant?

Your taxes paying to bail out the big 5, fucker. Toronto can't fail!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

To put things in perspective,

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/11/21/rbc-layoffs-wealth-management_n_6197998.html

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2014/11/4/Scotiabank-to-cut-1500-jobs-close-about-120-branches-amid-writedown-.aspx

My point is that financial contagion hits you in ways you don't anticipate. I went through this with the tech bust. Don't assume you're immune.

I don`t assume Toronto`s immune to anything, given how much financial capital in Toronto is tied into Alberta things may very well come crashing down. Good articles though, thanks for linking them.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dreylad posted:

I would love for housing prices to drop in Toronto but yeah I don't see Toronto being affected by any potential real estate crash, not because I believe in the magical power infallibility of real estate markets or anything, just that demand isn't going to drop off because so many people work in the city. But the surrounding area will probably get hit really hard, especially eastern GTA where the Oshawa GM plant is looking like it will close.
I feel the same way. Toronto's still seen has the immigrant gateway to the country, so there will always be steady demand for Toronto housing. I think that the same thing applies to the contiguous suburbs, too. There won't be a "crash", but prices will temporarily stabilize at some point.

I think it's the other, less-populous CMAs that are more like to see a major correction in their housing markets, eg. Calgary, Oshawa, London, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Windsor, K-W, and Barrie to name a few.

That's not to say that the GTA's housing market isn't over-inflated and wacky as hell. It definitely is. But people will do anything to make sure the mortgage for their house in the GTA gets paid. So even if rates go up people will make sure the mortgage gets paid, even if it means completely eliminating their non-mortgage budgets ("Boiled hot dogs for dinner! Again! And also for breakfast!").

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 25, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If ridiculously populous areas that have high demand for housing like California or Tokyo can have a housing price bust than so can places like Toronto.

Prices stabilizing at unaffordable levels is not something that happens. Everyone wants to pay the mortgage and using credit cards, family funds, retirement funds, whatever were used to try and 'save the home' in other bubbles too yet they still busted.

What will be interesting to see is exactly what methods are used and rules get bent when they start to prop up home prices.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Unless people simply stop living in the big cities then a lot of baby boomers are gonna be ok. Like my father in law managed to buy eight large houses in Kitsilano/Shaughnessy and rents the gently caress out of them. They were paid off decades ago.

My dad, of course, sold the Point Grey house he bought for $25,000 back in the 70s for $30,000.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If ridiculously populous areas that have high demand for housing like California or Tokyo can have a housing price bust than so can places like Toronto.
Even though California's markets experienced a crash back in '08, they've recovered since then. They're even approaching their pre-crash levels:

And the larger Californian cities (San Francisco, San Jose, and even L.A.) are still insanely-expensive and far beyond the reach of most homebuyers, despite the bust having come and gone.

Here's my armchair economist prediction- when interest rates go up, real estate prices in Canada's larger CMAs will grow slowly. They won't flat-out crash like Calgary's market probably will, but they their value will definitely grow at a slower pace. And once the economy recovers, they'll resume their upward spiral. And once we've hit the ~$1 million dollar median home value range, it'll become more of a renter's market than a homeowner's market.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Did the USA really learn nothing form their housing bubble crash? :psyduck:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

melon cat posted:

I feel the same way. Toronto's still seen has the immigrant gateway to the country, so there will always be steady demand for Toronto housing. I think that the same thing applies to the contiguous suburbs, too. There won't be a "crash", but prices will temporarily stabilize at some point.

I think it's the other, less-populous CMAs that are more like to see a major correction in their housing markets, eg. Calgary, Oshawa, London, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Windsor, K-W, and Barrie to name a few.

That's not to say that the GTA's housing market isn't over-inflated and wacky as hell. It definitely is. But people will do anything to make sure the mortgage for their house in the GTA gets paid. So even if rates go up people will make sure the mortgage gets paid, even if it means completely eliminating their non-mortgage budgets ("Boiled hot dogs for dinner! Again! And also for breakfast!").

In the early 1990s there was a real estate crash and Toronto actually suffered worse than the rest of the province. There's no reason it can't happen again. "Immigration" as a catch all to prop up demand in a falling market doesn't work.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

RBC posted:

In the early 1990s there was a real estate crash and Toronto actually suffered worse than the rest of the province. There's no reason it can't happen again. "Immigration" as a catch all to prop up demand in a falling market doesn't work.

You're missing a crucial part of that chart you referenced- even though there were corrections in the Canadian housing market (and I definitely won't deny that. I've lived through them), the overall trend for house prices is upward. It's the exact same trend you'd see in any stock index. You've got your peaks and valleys, but it's more-or-less upward movement.

And I'll premptively retort by saying that, yes, I understand that salaries/household income hasn't grown in any meaningful way to justify the increased real estate values. And neither have amenities. Or municipal infrastructure. But markets aren't rational.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 26, 2015

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

melon cat posted:

You're missing a crucial part of that chart you referenced- even though there were corrections in the Canadian housing market, the overall trend for house prices is upward. It's the exact same trend you'd see in any stock index. You've got your peaks, valleys, but it's more-or-less upward movement.

So what? I'm arguing there will be a crash. You said there wouldn't be because "toronto" and "immigrants".

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

RBC posted:

So what? I'm arguing there will be a crash. You said there wouldn't be because "toronto" and "immigrants".
Nice. Now we're moving into ad hominem insults, now? :rolleyes:

You're over-simplifying the issue. A crash isn't the same thing as a correction. They're completely different. And I'm saying that while a correction is in the cards for Toronto's real estate market, a flat-out crash is less likely. But then again, you seem hell-bent on seeing the GTA housing market crash and burn, so I don't think you're listening to what's being said, at this point.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Isn't Canada already basically setting course for the liquidity trap?

Basically things like interest rates and also bond yields keep on getting pushing lower over time to keep the whole system sustainable.

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:

melon cat posted:

Nice. Now we're moving into ad hominem insults, now? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure you know what ad hominem means.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vaginapocalypse posted:

I'm not sure you know what ad hominem means.
I'd say that disregarding someone's valid argument and accusing them of parroting nonsense talking points ("because of "Toronto" and "immigrants") is a pretty good case for an ad hominem insult.

etalian posted:

Isn't Canada already basically setting course for the liquidity trap?

Basically things like interest rates and also bond yields keep on getting pushing lower over time to keep the whole system sustainable.
I agree, and that's why I think it's silly that the BoC cut interest rates. It won't have the effect that they're intending it to, especially since the Canadian banks haven't responded to the rate cut by cutting their own lending rates.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 26, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Things like low bond yields at least from a historical perspective meant a safer more stable economy.

However in the case of Canada IMO it's more signal of the titantic heading for the iceberg, especially after the BoC pushed down all the rates during the December commodity disaster.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

melon cat posted:

Even though California's markets experienced a crash back in '08, they've recovered since then. They're even approaching their pre-crash levels:
Blowing another housing bubble* isn't the same thing as not having a crash and you were essentially arguing that a crash won't happen in Toronto even though you admit prices are overvalued.

*wages are still stagnant or declining while the cost of living (housing, medical care, and schooling in particular) keeps climbing and the jobs that are being added are minimum wage, that isn't a economic situation that contributes to historical housing growth rates at all much less the rate of increases we're currently seeing

melon cat posted:

Here's my armchair economist prediction- when interest rates go up, real estate prices in Canada's larger CMAs will grow slowly. They won't flat-out crash ... value will definitely grow at a slower pace. And once the economy recovers, they'll resume their upward spiral. And once we've hit the ~$1 million dollar median home value range...
You've lost your rationality. Not sure if its due to fear from the results of a housing crash, loss of personal finance in a crash, or what. But you've definitely lost it.

Current sales rates and prices are dependent on super low interest rates so most any sort of increase much less a increase back to historical averages will cause a crash. $1 million dollar median home values require ~$300K avg. wages (assuming no other debt other than the house of course) to make economic sense, where is that money gonna come from to pay the workers that much over a period of a few years or even a decade? Wages in general look like they need to up in Canada but outside of a hyperinflationary event those sorts of increases don't make sense.

melon cat posted:

the overall trend for house prices is upward.
Over multi decade or century long time periods yes. On shorter time scales, like a decade or even 'merely' 6 yr or so, you can and will see crashes which have major negative effects on the country as a whole. Most people, including institutions like central banks, focus on time periods less than a century or several decades for good reason when making their assessments. It should be noted that in particular though they tend to impact the middle class and poor the most.

melon cat posted:

I'd say that disregarding someone's valid argument and accusing them of parroting nonsense talking points ("because of "Toronto" and "immigrants") is a pretty good case for an ad hominem insult.
That isn't a ad hom. He isn't even obliquely talking about you.

Furnaceface posted:

Nope. They blew another bubble and people are in denial about it all over again here in the US too.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 26, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Nope. They blew another bubble and people are in denial about it all over again here in the US too.

The US solution to the real estate bubble was QE which made it even cheaper to own a house and also many banks already have started to relax their lending standards again.

Basically the only ways to prevent a US bubble again won't happen for political reason
-Remove special tax treatment for homes like the mortgage and HELOC deduction
-Get rid of government propping up real estate through things like FHA, Freddie Mac and other
ways private mortgage debt gets backed by the government
-More government regulation for things like underwriting requirements, subprime loans and minimal down payments
-Shift gears over to more rental supply instead of focusing on home ownership being the primary goal of US housing policy

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Mostly agree with all that. I would say don't get rid of govt. support for housing for at least the poor but do it in a way that prevents the Fan/Fred Mac shenanigans from happening all over again. I realize however such housing support may not be necessary in a market where housing prices are kept affordable so this is a bit of a nitpick.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Furnaceface posted:

The US isn't California. During the US bubble you had places like Idaho have 25% of their economy solely devoted to housing and construction. That hasn't reappeared.

The issue with California is that it has another bubble going on, which thankfully is not as integral to the economy as housing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Mostly agree with all that. I would say don't get rid of govt. support for housing for at least the poor but do it in a way that prevents the Fan/Fred Mac shenanigans from happening all over again. I realize however such housing support may not be necessary in a market where housing prices are kept affordable so this is a bit of a nitpick.

affordable rents for all should be the one of goal of any sane housing policy.

Also if you have a rent focused housing solution you avoid all nasty side effects that come with home ownership like HELOCs spending spree and price speculation.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I have family in Idaho right and got to watch the price on their home (originally around $140K when bought, around Star*) shoot up in 'value' almost $100K since 2011 for no reason what so ever while builders like CBH are going apeshit and putting up houses as fast as they can.

Seattle looks to have gone loopy too. Pretty much anything near a coast really. But that is where most of the population lives.

*For those not familiar with the area: tiny suburban town, nearly a exurb, that has some newer nice subdivisions that were built in the last 10yr or so but is still mostly poor and run down trailer parks and homes with 1 smallish strip mall, surrounded by farmland.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 26, 2015

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Immigration hasn't saved Spanish home prices, despite them having an immigration for property purchase scheme. I see no reason it will save any market in Canada, Jamacian expat hub or no.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ocrumsprug posted:

Immigration hasn't saved Spanish home prices, despite them having an immigration for property purchase scheme. I see no reason it will save any market in Canada, Jamacian expat hub or no.

The home prices on a fundamental level are not driven by immigrants or evil rich Chinese.

It's all about cheap easy credit with lovely underwriting and people thinking they are going to hit the jackpot.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Dreylad posted:

I don`t, but it`d have to be depression-level conditions to actually have enough of an impact on housing demand to affect prices.

What makes you think that? A median housing price that's as far above the normal multiple of median income as Toronto's is just isn't sustainable.

melon cat posted:

Having lots of immigrants means nothing if those immigrants don't have money.

melon cat posted:

Yeah, except that not everyone's going to be able to do that. And then it starts looking a lot more like the U.S. in 2007-2008.

melon cat posted:

You're missing a crucial part of that chart you referenced- even though there were corrections in the Canadian housing market (and I definitely won't deny that. I've lived through them), the overall trend for house prices is upward. It's the exact same trend you'd see in any stock index.

Not at all. The long-term trend in housing prices, at least in real-dollar terms, is pretty much flat; stock markets do significantly better than flat.

RBC posted:

Bingo. The deniers are increasingly relying on a deus ex machina to save them from decreasing house prices. That isn't going to happen.

etalian posted:

It's all about cheap easy credit with lovely underwriting and people thinking they are going to hit the jackpot.

Not that long ago, in a country not far away...

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Joking aside I think the BoC is referring to Canada's housing market as a whole achieving a soft landing. Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary will end up as smoking holes in the ground.

This is my dream of home ownership.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

We need to end government subsidies for home ownership and suburban development. All it has gotten us is a huge, unfunded infrastructure liability, global warming, and a place for all the shitheads to live that isn't the molten center of the earth, where they truly belong.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I feel like I'm having a schizophrenic breakthrough, because I suddenly see all the connections between lovely 3hr commutes, inflated suburban property values, miserable Torontonians/905ers and the election of Rob Ford.

It's.... beautiful.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

We need to end government subsidies for home ownership and suburban development.
While current policies have resulted in suburban blight and inner city ghettos a housing program for the poor doesn't necessarily have to work that way. I don't think it'll be easy to fix the current policies but I think its something that needs to be done no matter what if future housing bubbles and booms are to be prevented or at least mitigated successfully in the US, Canada, or pretty much any country really.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Nah. If you implement policies diminishing housing's value as an 'investment', much like Japan, we'll be holding our bankers hostage from their profits

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nah. If you implement policies diminishing housing's value as an 'investment', much like Japan, we'll be holding our bankers hostage from their profits

well when you have asset deflation, it's really tough to buy the home as a investment BS argument.

A somewhat interest article on the concept:
http://freakonomics.com/2014/02/27/why-are-japanese-homes-disposable-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast-3/

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

etalian posted:

well when you have asset deflation, it's really tough to buy the home as a investment BS argument.
You'd think so but we've blown another bubble in the US within a few years of the previous bust. People aren't rational and are in general easily misled by modern marketing methods and spin that are used by the RE industry and banks. Or anybody really. It really is pretty amazing how successful modern marketing methods + spin has been at getting people to do things which clearly are against their personal best interests.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

You'd think so but we've blown another bubble in the US within a few years of the previous bust. People aren't rational and are in general easily misled by modern marketing methods and spin that are used by the RE industry and banks. Or anybody really. It really is pretty amazing how successful modern marketing methods + spin has been at getting people to do things which clearly are against their personal best interests.

Yeah this is my main reason for thinking capitalism is not a workable system, even with a lot of regulation. Marketing is far too powerful, it's basically mind control for who ever has the most money to spend on it. People are not rational actors nor do they have perfect information. Even well regulated systems end up just having political marketing dollars thrown at them until voters elect people who get rid of those regulations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
In a non-growth environment bubbles are a useful way to generate revenues. So while overall destructive for say, the middle-class, they provide an opportunity for short-term profits. This explains why the finance sector is not interested in regulations that prevent their occurance.