Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nope, it's an extremely common sentiment. I'm pretty sure people wearing those shirts/liking those facebook posts are completely oblivious to the irony.

Fun fact: If you were to completely uniformly distribute humanity across the world, dumping 70% of it straight into the ocean, Australia's population would quadruple.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Never will I understand DbD. I am going to go out on a limb and say this is nothing made out to be a big deal by some blogs?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

CampingCarl posted:

Never will I understand DbD. I am going to go out on a limb and say this is nothing made out to be a big deal by some blogs?

Obama met with some Youtube celebrities, so you're exactly right.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

CampingCarl posted:

I mean I don't have the slightest idea but anyone can change their name on Twitter to whatever whenever so it's meaningless yes.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

CampingCarl posted:

One of the Youtube personalities that Obama was interviewed by has worn green lipstick (and thus One of the Bad Ones(of blacks)) and also done a funny video on the internet (and thus WHAT A GAFFE).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Get ready for a deluge of "if global warming why cold" cartoons. New York might be getting the worst snowstorm in a century, yet no one on the right is making the connection between the rise in recent extreme weather events and climate change.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

CampingCarl posted:

obama met and was interviewed by 3 youtube celebrities. they proceeded to ask harder questions than actual TV interviewers.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

joeburz posted:

obama met and was interviewed by 3 youtube celebrities. they proceeded to ask harder questions than actual TV interviewers.

Well now they're going to lose their access, what fools, don't they understand how serious journalism works.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
As someone who understands exactly zero about macroeconomics, that cartoon is biased bullshit and austerity should be set on fire forever, right?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Mostly you gotta know that the current trend in austerity has been justified by an academic paper that relied on a faulty Excel spreadsheet formula - and when the formula is corrected points to austerity actually being negative for economic development. So uhh, yeah - bullshit.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
A Thing Happened™

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

pentyne posted:

Get ready for a deluge of "if global warming why cold" cartoons. New York might be getting the worst snowstorm in a century, yet no one on the right is making the connection between the rise in recent extreme weather events and climate change.

They don't understand the complexity of climate change.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DACK FAYDEN posted:

As someone who understands exactly zero about macroeconomics, that cartoon is biased bullshit and austerity should be set on fire forever, right?

I'm mostly curious about the assertion that the Baltics, Ireland, Slovakia and Cyprus will be just fine. Excited to see if it's the Netherlands or Luxembourg that will topple; it's a shame that we can no longer afford to distinguish between the two,

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

I thought the "gently caress off we're full" shirts were cartoonists making a jab at people

Of course they're real :smithicide:

"gently caress Off, We're Full" might as well be the motto on the Australian coat of arms.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

As a general rule, yes. In this particular case, the only way Greece escapes from their obligations is walking away from the European Union and the IMF which... I don't know where they'd get the money to actually run their government at that point because no one's going to buy their bonds. It sure as hell isn't tax revenues either, because they haven't collected enough to cover expenses for like a decade or more.

Nobody actually knows what will happen if they default because it's never happened before; I assume the cartoonist believes Spain, Italy, & Portgual would follow suit.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MissEchelon posted:

Happy Australia Day here's a bunch of random cartoons from the past 20 years (mostly more recent, but there is a delightful Howard in there)

Just curious, is it A Thing in Oz to wear the flag as a cape while shirtless? Never seen that before.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Only if you control your own currency, have their own central bank not beholden to other central banks and are otherwise sovereign. By joining the Euro, Greece lost a lot of options that under most all cases are better than austerity. In this case, austerity is probably the least lovely option Greece has until things get better there.

The other options are to leave the Euro and default (which would screw them over for a generation at least), leave the Euro and try to quickly buy up your own bonds to inflate the currency (wiping out the bulk of the savings of Greek middle class families), leave the Euro and quickly try to sell lots of bonds (which would need to be at a very high rate of interest since they are seen as a risk, which would only make things worse in the long run since there is no way their economy can grow fast enough to justify the 10+% interest they would need to pay), default while still on the Euro (which would bring down most of Europe with them to some extent, may even in the very extreme lead to foreign occupation) or somehow convince Europe to loan them even more money without them making further budget cuts. The bailout was already a tough sell in places like Germany, they aren't going to get a more favorable deal.

Cpt.Americant fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 26, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

pentyne posted:

Which fyi is supposed to happen because as arctic ice falls off into the ocean it's going to create much colder weather for the East Coast because that colder water travels back down here.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Selachian posted:

Just curious, is it A Thing in Oz to wear the flag as a cape while shirtless? Never seen that before.

Flag capes are a thing on Australia Day, yeah.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Leave it to DbD to carry the Netanyahu torch after even Fox decided it was a dick move.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Selachian posted:

It is A Thing.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Kajeesus posted:

Nope, it's an extremely common sentiment. I'm pretty sure people wearing those shirts/liking those facebook posts are completely oblivious to the irony.

Fun fact: If you were to completely uniformly distribute humanity across the world, dumping 70% of it straight into the ocean, Australia's population would nearly double.

Ha!

Selachian posted:

(a small sampling found from google image searching "cronulla riots". though admittedly it wasn't quite hot enough to bring up shirtlessness)

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is a 'leb' in the Australian vernacular?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

zeal posted:

Lebanese, I assume?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Lebanese

e: gently caress you mate I reserved that spot ^

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Selachian posted:

The answer to "do Australians do idiotic-looking, mindlessly nationalist poo poo" is always yes

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

BBJoey posted:

The answer to "do Australians do idiotic-looking, mindlessly nationalist poo poo" is always yes

So is Australia basically the US of the southern hemisphere?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Portals posted:

So is Australia basically the US of the southern hemisphere?

As a fellow from New Zealand (Or, as Stephen Colbert puts it: Australia's Canada) the answer is most definitely yes.

e: Unless Brazil counts. I think that's a strong contender.

ee: South Africa might have a good chance too, what with the ethnic segregation thing.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Rangpur posted:

I think that's my favorite part of the drunky duck phenomenon. Doonesbury was a nationally published strip for decades before Mallard Fillmore and Prickly City existed, and it got there while constantly running storylines that pissed off a whole lot of readers. He took Reagan to task when he was politically untouchable, and survived. Why? Because it is (or was, according to taste) a decent comic strip on top of all that. Trudeau earned his spot in the papers, Tinsley. You are the affirmative action hire. You loving hack.

People were asking earlier, so I checked with my father, and he says Doonesbury still runs in the paper in Charleston. He was sure today's was new, but not so sure of the weekday ones.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"People overreact to anti-Muslim backlash."
"MUSLIMS WILL END THE WORLD."

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
I'm just saying, it's them or us. Well, I'm just saying! I'm the reasonable one here, can't you see that!! Why won't you undereducated, overly-P.C. OBAMABOT SHEEPLE LISTEN TO ME

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

As a fellow from New Zealand (Or, as Stephen Colbert puts it: Australia's Canada) the answer is most definitely yes.

e: Unless Brazil counts. I think that's a strong contender.

ee: South Africa might have a good chance too, what with the ethnic segregation thing.
South Africa is the Southern Hemisphere's equivalent to the American South. Australia is Texas. New Zealand is what would happen if Canada travelled back in time about 50 years.

zeal posted:

Technically "Lebanese person", but in practice it seems more like it just means "fuckin some kind of brown person who fucks camels and poo poo what do i look like a fuckin scientist"

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

I would like a pet fat cat with a little kitty cigar :3:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

New Zealand is what would happen if Canada travelled back in time about 50 years.

So a Canada before Harper, huh? That good or bad?

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Journalistic courage doesn't just occur in France!

And if you want my two cents on the "they had it coming" movement…

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

zeal posted:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

So a Canada before Harper, huh? That good or bad?
Yeah good point, I may've been overly generous. While Canada seems to have nailed the passive-aggressive racism part, I think even Canada 50 years ago still had more to do than binge drinking and rarkies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

quote:

The NCAA recently reinstated Joe Paterno's wins after an overambitious and egregious punishment related to the Jerry Sandusky pedophile scandal. What JoePa knew and when he knew it is up for debate, but his coaching was not. It was the right thing for the NCAA to do, if a little late.
Rob nooooooooooooo :negative:

• Locked thread